General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Want to become a triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-16 11:47 PM

Subject: Want to become a triathlete
Hi. I'm new here and basically here is my story. I'm 21 years old male and want to become a triathlete I workout with p90x and varirty of programs four to six times per week.

But have always admired triathletes and the long hours and hard work they put in. I've finally chose to buckle down and get serious about becoming one.

My problem is I have some medical issues that may get in the way.

Here they are.

1. One and probably most concerning five years ago I Broke my tibia and femur in my right leg had to have physically therapy etc. and have two metal rods where the bones broke

2. I also am flat footed but have orthodics and mainly wear running shoes to support my feet.

3. I have other issues like heart and kidney which I've had since I was a baby.

I'm perfectly healthy and fit.

I do a lot of weight training and workout four to six days per-week

But I can't run that well do my leg and because of my body I can tire out easily.

I plan to take baby steps to get there even if it takes me ten years before I do a triathlon.

I plan to start walking around my neighborhood tomorrow.

Than start jogging the next week

Than run.

I can swim and bike just fine and will get the euipment I need for this. Running is my main obstacle due to my bad leg.

What is your best advice for someone like me who has a lot of medical conditions but want to run triathlons?

2014-12-16 11:52 PM
in reply to: Fitnesscraze158

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Want to become a triathlete

You know.....you can walk the run portion of a triathlon.....plenty of people do.  If you can swim and bike with no problem then there is no reason for you to sit out. Train your swim and bike and do what you can with the "run".....you'll be surprised how many folks are in your boat.  Good luck....have fun!

2014-12-17 2:54 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I watched a paraplegic do an Iron Man a couple of weeks ago. A legally blind man also completed the same race.

Nothing is insurmountable if you train right and get out there. You may not be the fastest, but lets face it most of us aren't and it doesn't really matter anyway.

Challenge yourself and most importantly Have fun.
2014-12-17 3:33 AM
in reply to: 0

Start small and if it goes well, increase. A sprint is a good experience for an Olympic, an Olympic is a good experience for a half ironman and so forth.

If you think you can run, i would put emphasis on improving your weakness. It will give you confidence come the race. If not, do like the others said and walk parts or all of it.

The person who receives the biggest amount of encouragements and applauses on the race day is the one who finishes last. This was actually my case in one race. You learn, you improve and you get an incredible amount of pride out of completing the event plus a lot of fun. It becomes very easy to become addicted.

Just don't be blinded by the long distances and start small. You will have a blast and gain experiences for the next steps if you want to proceed further or repeat the experience.

You talk about physical limitations when running but before doing a triathlon, do practice open water in order to build confidence as well. You don't want to do something for the first time on the race day and build stress around it.

p.s. I can't comment about being flat footed or having plates. Go intelligently...

Best of luck, I was in your situation one year ago, minus the plates and flat foot...

Edited by Antoine tri 2014-12-17 3:51 AM
2014-12-17 8:54 AM
in reply to: Antoine tri

User image

Pennsylvania

The other posters are correct - with training, you can complete a triathlon with your conditions.  But. . . since some of your health issues are internal (you mentioned heart and kidney concerns), I'd recommend having a talk with your doctor to be sure you are OK to do vigorous exercise.  Better safe than sorry, especially if there are known issues lurking that you aren't sure how they may react to increased activity.

Best of luck to you!

2014-12-17 9:01 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I wont ask the specifics of your heart issues, but as someone else mentioned, please see a doctor before attempting anything serious. I've heard too many stories of people dying in triathlons (mostly Ironman) because they have a heart condition to begin with. Not to spook you, but please be careful with that.

2014-12-17 9:30 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Welcome!  You'll find along the way you can do more than you think you are capable of.  Take a look at the free BT Sprint or Mini-sprint training plans, find a race and signup for it and have a lot of fun reaching your goal(s).

Running is faster but absolutely nothing wrong with walking either.  There's an elderly lady I see racing around here that speed walks the run course and she's a fast walker!  I blew up on the bike in my last HIM and had a nice 10 mile walk on the 13.1 run course, you know what, it was still a great day.

2014-12-17 9:36 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I have had flat feet forever, it does not stop me from running.

I know other people with metal rods/pins in there legs and ankles that can still run without a problem. Is one of your legs short now?

You want to make sure that a Dr OK's what you are doing with your heart and kidney issues, you were not specific and you don't want to screw those up!

When I started I could not jog a 1/2 mile without sucking wind. It is common for people who do not run or have not run in awhile to be exhausted very quickly. Start with walking than add in 20 or 30 seconds of jogging into it going back to walking until you feel good. Do the walk/jog until you feel very comfortable jogging the whole time, this could take weeks or months to build up to.

2014-12-17 7:25 PM

If your doctor thinks triathlon is OK (which I would suspect given that p90x OK), fire away!

Nothing wrong with run/walk or even just walk. I have done five 70.3's, and two full IM"s, and seen many people of ALL abilities run/walk, or even just walk.

Assuming you swin well enough not to drown during a 500 yard swim of a sprint, recommend you go do a sprint tri. You will have a blast, and be better able to determine what you want to do next.

Good luck to you. Most likely you will find triathlon addictive and want to do many of them.
2014-12-18 9:45 AM

Extreme Veteran
I have a plate and 6 screws in my right leg and ankle from a tib/fib break from mountain bike crash. It bothers me a little but I have completed all distances from sprint to Ironman.

Take it slow when you start running.

2014-12-18 9:48 PM
in reply to: DLR1

My right ankle is bolted together. It's actually my favorite ankle now, because it's much less likely to get injured, the other one likes to roll.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Want to become a triathlete Rss Feed