BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-04-06 8:59 PM
in reply to: scubabrad02

Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)
Do any of you do elliptical training to help with spring training for running? I've been doing 6 mile walks but I tried a 1.6 mile run yesterday and could barely lift my legs! Worst was the breathing - it suddenly felt like I had bronchitis (I don't).

Any opinions on using Galloway supplemented with "runs" on an elliptical to keep knee impacts down?

2015-04-06 11:17 PM
in reply to: aturnbul

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
It is fine to use an ellyptical.... but it is not the same thing as running. So it is more like walking than running, but definitely better than nothing. So you could do some work on the elliptical and then later transition to a walk/jog for a while then straight jog then a faster jog. There are lots of things to do to get a workout in, but things like racquetball, etc., don't really help you to run a 6 mile run.
2015-04-10 5:34 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

Well, my new bike is due to arrive any day now. It will need a proper setup.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a really good shop in the Ottawa, Ontario area or an excellent set of instructions?

Many thanks in advance
2015-04-10 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hey all,
Been sick and getting behind.

Someone mentioned starting to add carbs back in to their diet. If you want to stay lower carb it might be obvious to just add in what you need pre/post workouts without going back to a high carb diet. Good carbs are sweet potatoes and beans.
I'm not sure how much re needed just to replenish the body for the next workout without going over. I'll ask on the food/diet forums, seems someone always knows something.

Dennis - you should be so proud of yourself - signing up for a HIM. You have come a long way! Congrats on the wt. lose. Have no advice on flabbiness. People tend not to mention it. I look good in clothes now, which is great, but think I'm less comfortable out of them because of how everything has fallen - don't mean to gross anyone out.

David - I hear you with the swimming. It will come.

Brad - LOL I didn't get it either - thought you were being very optimistic about what us newbie swimmers could do in a session.

Spring thoughts to all,
Mitzi
2015-04-10 6:21 PM
in reply to: RookeyDavid

User image

Cedar City, Utah
Originally posted by RookeyDavid
I am having great difficulty with my swim, people - I need some help.

David: I feel you! Just over a year ago, I couldn't swim 25 yards without taking 30-60 second breathers on both ends of the pool. Then after a year of focusing on one technique/form issue per workout (often watching the video segment before going to bed, again in the pool parking lot and then again in the locker room) did my fitness improve, allowing me a distance PR a few weeks ago of 3,000 yds in 1hr 14m. It's definitely not as fast as others in the pool, but something I'm darn proud of. That gave me tremendous confidence going into my first Tri/HIM, which is ~2,000 yds with a 1h10min cutoff time. As others mentioned, with time will come fitness. I too always felt I was sprinting, but realized I was using my legs/quads way too much, thus increasing my heart rate too much. It took me 10 months to have enough confidence in my water alignment and form to 'slow down' and relax, kick just enough to keep my legs up, allowing me to swim without being 'winded' after a few laps. Then the speed and endurance quickly kicked in.
You can do it! Keep at it and don't let anything get in the way.
2015-04-12 9:48 AM
in reply to: ojaister

User image

Another build week complete. Rolling into an even bigger week next.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

B

2015-04-12 3:29 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I hear ya, long swim 4800 yards, long bike 105 miles and long run 17 miles this week. Knee still iffy, but able to get in most workouts. I am hoping that the bike seat adjustment backwards will help things settle down.
2015-04-13 8:48 AM
in reply to: ojaister

User image

Thanks for the encouragement and advice everyone! I will keep pushing and hopefully it will come, as you all say :-) I'm sure it will... running, I started not being able to run more than 1/4 mile... now I can hit marathon distances out of the park. It's all practice, persistence and endurance.
2015-04-13 3:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking and sadly, the majority of people in the current group don't even know me. I've been active for the last 2 years? but I've decided to step away from triathlons for awhile. I spoke to Pam via PM and shared with her bc she was nice enough to wonder where the heck I was! For those who know me, I've always battled cardio vs. weights and right now weights are winning. A co-worker started reading this book: http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Matthews/e/B006XNAP6C/ref=dp_byline_c... (BLS) and got me fired up. I have another person doing a BB competition and I started thinking maybe I'll do that....I've always regretted no doing it when I was younger. I share the link of the book bc the author knows his stuff when it comes to nutrition....not going to help with in race nutrition or anything but will help with day to day dieting if you need some guidance.

The other major factor is both of my children are now doing competitive soccer. My wife and I are currently doing 6 out of 7 days a week at a soccer field....I can't focus on myself with all of that going on and not feel guilty. Lifting doesn't need hours of dedication like a brick workout for a HIM or IM would....that's just a fact

Dennis, congrats on the HM finish. You're crazy for even starting on a snowy day! Everyone else, just keep doing what you're doing. Steve and everyone I've met here are the best; they have your best interests at heart....so listen and learn....and don't be afraid to ask questions.
2015-04-13 10:40 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Jay good to hear from you. As always you and yours take priority. Feel free to stop by once a month, quarter whatever just to check in if ya want. You have a lifetime ticket to the group. Balance in life is hard to get, especially when you have kids. Enjoy your individual journey. We will always be here.
2015-04-16 12:54 PM

User image

New user
I guess everyone is busy with training and/or their spring chores list!

Last week for me was bleh. I had a cold and so much going on at work/home that I did almost nothing training-wise.
So this week I needed to get back on track, which seems to be happening so far.

Knocked 2,200 yards swim on Sunday.
I am really surprised I can do that after a winter of no swimming at all.
I also ran twice and biked once so far this week.

It seems I will be part of a girl team at the "Tour de la Montagne", a running event close to home on May 18.
As one girl runs, the others are following on a bike and our team of 4 has to cover 24 km. We can do it the way we want but I wonder what would be the best strategy : take our 6K turn one after the other or do a series of sprints to the finish?

And "Montagne" means hill... Should be fun, no !?

2015-04-16 8:18 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Jay, glad you have found your groove in the weight room. I hear you on the endurance stuff being too time consuming when life is happening. I was blessed with a season of setting my own schedule and fitting in work around that. That has passed for now, and so I go by the motto of "do what you can when you can".
2015-04-17 5:04 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Weekend fun ahead...4.5 hours in the saddle followed by a 30 min brick Saturday then 2 hour run-eat some-then 2 more hours in the saddle. Bring on next Monday! (recovery week starts).

I have committed to doing Muncie 70.3 now. 4 week turn-around from another 70.3 I am doing. Let's see how much fitness I can carry over.

Steve - hope the knee is on the mend. Getting ready to start your taper for Texas?

Everyone else - hope all is going well. Summer and warm days are about upon us.

2015-04-18 6:17 PM

A silly question, but I've never done a tri before: do you need to lock or secure your bike/gear in the transition area?
2015-04-18 7:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by aturnbul

A silly question, but I've never done a tri before: do you need to lock or secure your bike/gear in the transition area?

You shouldn't have to, at least I have never seen it before. The tris I have seen have security that don't let unauthorized people into the area. But still always be cautious. We worked transition security at IMFL and we were told to watch for anyone that either decided to take their bike or someone else's bike over the fence.

Isabella, sounds like a fun race! I would suggest a trial run to see what is better. I would thing constant transition might be slower but who knows.

Jay, glad you checked in. And all, I think he forgot to mention that his wife is also working toward her PhD which is cool.

Steve, hope you are feeling good for your IM. Who else will be at that one? Carlos?

I've really been out of it lately. For over a month, we were at a rental almost every day; only days not there were the 4 days of the cruise and Easter. It gets old leaving home at 7am and arriving home at 8 or 9pm - dirty, tired, and hungry. We finally got it where it's showable and listable. I thought I would start back running but instead I've been sleeping more, eating more, drinking more, and in general being lazy. Finally made myself go out this morn for a 6 mile easy run and it was wonderful. So now I've got to work on getting my consistency back. Happy tho that we did sell another rental this week.
2015-04-19 1:44 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Well, my knee is iffy. I have dialed back my workouts ice it daily, anti-inflame, but bike rides irritate it. I think it was the seat being too far forward and though I believe I have that fixed, biking 100 to 200 miles a week doesn't give it that much of a break. One more hard week with a long swim of 5000 yards, bike 112 miles and run 17 miles coming up and then it is taper time. I believe I can get through the race, just not sure how irritable my knee will get. There may be some walking on the marathon or perhaps mostly walking depending on what the bike does to it on race day. My overall fitness is reasonable though not spectacular.

Bib number 2548 for IMTX.

So I was hoping to meet up with one or two of our Texas folks on my trip, or anyone along a major freeways between Reno, Boulder, Houston. And who else do we have confirmed for the race? We should meet up at the race venue on Thursday or Friday. Anyway shoot me PM if you are willing to have a complete stranger come meet your dogs and such. I will probably get to Texas late Monday or maybe Tuesday night and then leave Sunday morning.

2015-04-19 5:53 PM

Any advice on running shoes? I know it's intensely personal but I'd really appreciate some thoughts. I've got arthritic knees and I've been trying to run on Altra Torins and Merrel Road Gloves but the impact is beginning to get to me (not to mention my poor running form). I'd really like to run my first triathlon, as opposed to walk, but I'm wondering if that's reasonable.

Any other arthritis sufferers who've been down this road?
2015-04-20 2:45 AM

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Greetings from Wuxi, China .

Still trying to adapt to the new culture and time change. I was excited to see that my hotel has a 25 meter pool! I woke up early to swim before heading into work this morning. I'm going try to run this evening, but it is going to prove challenging dodging cars/carts/scooters and surviving the smog... but I have to try, I really don't want to spend the next two weeks on the treadmill, if I can avoid it!

Olley, I would definitely recommend going to a shoe place that checks out how you run. They should be able to recommend a shoe that will work best for you. Everyone runs a little different, and different shoes are better for different types of runners. I personally just switched over to a pair of hoka's. They're the exact opposite of my usual preference (I typically like minimalist type shoes), but I bought them and ran 22 miles in them the next day with no issues. Good luck with your firs tri!
2015-04-20 11:34 AM
in reply to: jimmybags

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
I love Meb! And Tatianna (sp?).
2015-04-21 9:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Temple, Texas
First tri this weekend.. Really haven't been doing much training the past month.. injuries.. and of course.. go figure.. now im sick. All congested and sore throat. Really hope it clears by Sunday..

My fiance had the privilege to attend Team RWB tri camp (wish I could have gone too!) this weekend and he is so jazzed about everything.. which is good.. because after this weekend we have 2 more tris over the next few months. So.. question about bike trainers.. Fluid v mag.. what do you all prefer? Pros and cons?

Edited by Lindzmich 2015-04-21 9:35 AM
2015-04-22 9:29 PM
in reply to: Lindzmich

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yes go to a running shoe store where they video you on the treadmill and they can recommend shoes.

Last big build week and then taper. Forecast for Saturday's long bike ride is 56 F with scattered snow and rain ... hrm.

2015-04-22 10:12 PM

User image

Missed a week because of a significant cold (crazy congested).

I ran my first mile straight tonight and I feel so pumped up! (after a 400m swim).

I did a ton of research about running shoes and wound up buying the New Balance Minimus Zero v2. I've been running to a metronome and really focusing on landing underneath my center of mass and keeping my head high/chest out. I'd have to say that even though I'm a big guy (240 lbs), I really really like running in these shoes which feel like I have nothing on. Although I've only got a few runs in, they feel much better than the heavily cushioned Mizunos I was running in before. It seems like if you have good form, you can run in anything. If you have bad form, minimalist shoes either hurt really bad or force you to develop better form. I'm lucky that I'm new, where I don't have any habits to break... yet.

I've been swimming in regular swimming shorts and was thinking about buying Jammers for the pool in my gym. Is there really a speed increase like I've seen some suggest? I feel somewhat sluggish in the pool @ 1:10-1:15 for 50 meters (although I did 600 meters straight at that pace yesterday!).

Does anyone else's knees get very red/hot after a run or a bike? A strange sensation, although not painful, which I've noticed.

Dan
2015-04-23 4:03 AM
in reply to: negatorx

User image

Thursday!!! I love Thursdays as it is homemade pizza night for me. Yummy.

Dan - congrats on the 600m @ pace! As for the jammers they would be quicker than regular "swim shorts" but only to the tune of a few seconds most likely. Of course if I had a little extra cash I would purchase them because if I look like Michael Phelps I must swim like him right? Yeah, not so much. haha. Keep concentrating on keeping your hips up, elbows high and early vertical forearm (EVF)/catch and your capacity will improve.

Steve - rain & SNOW on a long ride? YUCK! Hope the knee is hanging in there. Bib 2548. I'll be tracking ya.

Lindsey - Awesome that your fiance and you share in the triathlon experience. As for trainers, and keep in mind I am by no means an expert, I prefer fluid over magnetic. Few reasons. 1) they are more quiet than magnetic. 2) resistance changes as power to the peddles changes. I have heard there are magnetic ones now that can change resistance on their own as well but I do not know. I only knew of the ones you had to manually change the distance of the magnet on the trainer through a toggle of some kind to get the resistance to change. When I am on a trainer my last thought is "dang, is that the right resistance to have?". I am usually yelling at my legs to shut-up and keep pedaling. Fluids cost more than magnetics but in the long run I think you would be happier on the fluid. Just a more real "road" experience IMO. Good luck on your upcoming race!

Pam - Meb is straight up one of the best ambassadors to the sport of running I have ever met. Humble and down to earth. Did you know that on occasion he will put out a tweet saying he is going for a run at X time at X location and he invites anyone who wants to join him to come on down? Just an awesome guy with a great story. I do not know much about Tatyana but she seems just as nice as Meb is. I do have to give a shout out to my friend Steve H. for his course PR at Boston @ 2:39.xx. Awesome job Steve! Even when conditions where not perfect.

Isabella - hope the cold is cleared up by now. Your swimming definitely came back quicker than mine. What was your secret? Td Montagne sounds like a fun time. I always find it cool to be able to do some team environment type stuff when possible. Group rides, swims, runs. Although I did turn down an invite to do the "Dead to Red" team run in Jordan (I live in the middle east) this year. Let us know how your group decided to run it.

David - how is the swimming coming along?

Mitzi - yeah I should have clarified that there is only 1 main set (MS) per day. Hope your being sick is gone as well.

Jimmy - How is the smog treating you? Awesome your hotel has a 25m pool. I hope you are getting to use it often. I see you have Raleigh 70.3 coming up soon. That one is on my list to get to in the future so I look forward to hearing about your experience.

Olley - Never had any experience with arthritis. I can not even imagine the level of discomfort/pain it would cause. I will say that the Hoka One One shoe is getting a lot of traction lately in the triathlon world. #2 shoe being worn at the recent Oceanside 70.3 They have different models for different running gaits/styles as well. I have never tried them (probably won't for now either) but my wife has a pair and she says that she will never go back. "Like running on clouds" is what she said. Whatever that means

Gear at a triathlon. Usually* some type of check system is in place to be able to remove your bike from transition. Band on the wrist with your number that matches the bike number for example. This is something that if the athlete guide does not spell out I will email the race director (RD) and ask him what security measures are in place for my bike/gear. One of the more recent trends I hear about is the bike computers are getting taken. Usually a quick turn and it pops right off the bike and into a pocket it could go. Garmin could track this via serial numbers but to date I am not aware they will help in that aspect. I know of few who have written them asking for assistance in finding their stolen bike computer.

Advice is to write down all your serial numbers and store them someplace. If you ever have to file a claim/report they will come in handy. Lots of tools on the web to help track down a stolen bike as well. For the most part 99% of the triathlon community is a great bunch of people. Most of the thieves aren't even triathletes anyways from what I can tell. They are just opportunistic punks that heard a race was going to be in town and they look for an opening to steal.

Did you get your bike set up or still working on that?

Ok everyone. No more sickness/colds/coughs/sniffles/ etc. I think I even sniffled a little this morning. Keep up the good work and I am sure I will check in soon since as you can tell from this post I have a little time on my hands being a "down week" for me.
2015-04-23 8:27 AM

User image

Morning all!

Brad - thanks for the check-in. I've actually been renovating our new house before moving in this past couple weeks (4 more weeks to go!) and put my neck out. It forced me to take a huge step back and, as much as I hated it, stop training all together for about 10 days. Best. Move. Ever.

I truly have never realized how much rest and recovery can really benefit you. I've mentioned it on here before, but since I started training I haven't rested to this extend. Came back with my first run and swim in the last couple of days... PR 5k yesterday and PR swim today! I was given some catch paddle things from my sponsored swim friend (they were too big for her, so my gain!) and they helped with my catch and pull today too. After I had focused on that, I stopped kicking my legs like a speeding cartoon character and just focused on upper body and breathing. As a result, I was able to swim further and for longer, albeit a little slower.

5k PR:
1 mile - 7:18, 66ft climb
2 mile - 8:08, -6ft climb
3 mile - 7:01, 4ft climb

Swim today:
3x 200yd, 2x 300yd, 1x 400yd

I'm going to be pushing back up to regular training sessions this week, so swimming in the morning, work, run/ride at lunch, work some more, renovate, relax. :-)

David
2015-04-23 2:21 PM

User image

On top of it all, just did a PR 15k too over lunch

On fire? Yep.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.