BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-06-02 1:25 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)
Originally posted by Baowolf

Isabella so sorry about the heart problem. How serious is that? What is the recovery like? Is it something that will just get fixed or will it be likely to reoccur?

Brad that is some serious training and all workouts at a very speedy pace. Your plan looks like IM training plan not a HIM plan. One question is why your run miles are proportionately significantly less than your swim and bike numbers. Are you a natural runner staying swim and bike focused? In any case you will rock your race for sure, stay wet on the bike and wet with ice down the top on the run. Your swim and bike paces are very fast, run is fast, but for a HIM at your FOP level I would probably go for a 15 mile or even 16 mile long run so you do not lose uphta in your last 3 miles of your run. Like I said though, you have what you need to rock your race for sure. Just watch those fluids and core body temp in the heat.

Steve - Thanks for the staying wet advice. Will do. I actually write things like that down on my BTA bottle so I have a visual cue as well. As far as the plan, we have to keep in mind that I am retired so no job to get in the way. 20-24 hours a week is not difficult for me to get in and recover from (recovery weeks are 10-12 hour range usually). Doing 2 week build/1 week recovery currently. I will be making the jump to full IM early next year (Texas perhaps )so that plays into how my training is put together at this point as well. So it's kind of a bridge into that IM. Last two weeks has been about building 70.3 speed though. I will bump up to the 30 hour range once I target my "A" IM race....I think...haha. We will see how it goes.

Natural runner is not something I would describe myself as. I agree 100% I should have gotten in ~15 mile run (for me it would be a 2 hour run doing some 20' interval just a bit quicker than 70.3 pace or threshold followed by a 10' intervals bit slower than 70.3 pace for 3 or 4 sets). Last Sunday would have been that ~15 mile distance but I pulled the plug at 12.5 I took no water with me and that was my mistake here in 90 degree weather. I lost 3.8% weight on that 1:35 run (walked the last 13' of it) so elected not to push it into the land of despair. Mentally it was a let-down. I do not like "failing" planned sessions. Especially the "key" sessions. That was one. Lessons learned though. I do have other 2-hour sessions I did this build but they were not @ pace. Roughly 13.5 miles completed I think it was so hopefully draw from those some.

I also had a little niggle in my knee in Feb (Dismal total for that month). That played a little bit into the total run mileage to prevent a flare-up as well.

You will start to see the run mileage increase in the near future. I am right in agreement with your observation on that. Awesome! Thank you!

Funny you mentioned the last 5k of the run. That is exactly the point I want/need to do well at. That last 5k! So I will only be targeting an 80% power bike leg this race instead of my normal 85%...especially if it is hot. Try and leave a little for that last 5k. Eagleman was my first ever "A" race last year but a SNAFU at the dismount led me to getting sutures in my foot. The army medic patched me up (I am previous military as well so he knew I would make my own call on whether to continue) and I ran for a few miles but my normally blue shoe was now all red. That and my wife saw it. That ended my first "A" race. DNF. This will be my second "A" race ever so hopefully I finish what I started a year ago.

Not FOP....yet. Give me a few more miles under my belt

Thanks again for the advice! I need it.

Isabella - glad you are getting some work in. still praying it is the last one for you.

David - congrats on getting the house done. Now get to training! I miss McDonalds. French fries...yum.

Pam - can't wait to hear what you think of Meb's book. We can compare notes afterwards.

2015-06-02 5:40 PM
in reply to: scubabrad02

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Brad, you are faster than me on the swim bike and run, so you should be top 25% in your HIM I am thinking and top 15% would not surprise me, depending on the field. So... how are you set up for the race? Walk me through your nutrition, calories per hour bike and run, and what exactly you are eating. Until you are in the top 5% it kind of makes sense to not do flying mounts/dismounts. It really only gains you a couple seconds and can cost you the race. The heat is the main thing you are fighting this race as your fitness is very strong. You could do an IM tomorrow and finish it. What is your setup on the bike as far as calorie and water bottles etc.? Even at TX I didn't need more than about 16-20 oz of water per 10 miles on the bike. But in temps of 100F I would probably push past that to 30 ish oz. A dry heat can cause more need for water intake, but a humid heat will require more staying wet all day with ice. Remember that most of your cooling comes from your clothing, not from your belly.

Too much fluids in your belly causes you to slosh and get stomach cramps. Too few calories saps your strength. Too many calories makes your body put energy into digestion, taking blood away from your muscles, messing with your motabolism and making you more susceptible to heat effects. My Infinit on the bike is set to max salt and potasium to keep electrolytes up, GU on the run taken with a couple ounces of water when consumed.

On thing to keep in mind is that your current workout distances (for someone not 20 years old) are high and this may impact the wear and tear on your body. At a certain point you want to hold your distances the same, but work on speed at those distances. So say I run every run at an 8:30 mpm pace and run 8,8,6,15 miles per run. I want to improve my run but I am older so I want to not increase my run distances. So I do 8 at 8:30, next run is 8 with 800 yard repeats, then 6 is a tempo run 9:00 mpm pace for 1 mile, then faster 15 sec per mile pace down to 7:30 mpm and then back up to 9:00 mpm and cool down. Then my long run is 1 mile warmup then 1 mile repeats with quarter mile recovery for 9 miles then recovery pace 9:00 mpm or maybe 9:30 mpm for the remaining 5 miles. I have worked on speed a lot, but have not increased my miles, so the strain on my body is different. I could also put in hill work repeats every other week on the 800 repeat days. Anway hit me up with questions if none of this makes sense. Your swim and bike are already impressive, but you can use the same strategy for those.
2015-06-03 4:36 AM

User image

Steve - I hear you on the flying dismounts. Not so much it was my dismount that was SNAFU'ed as it was the guy going to fast that slammed into the back of me that ended my day. I was already over the timing mat and dismount line. His brakes failed or something he said. I don't stress it. Things happen. I will not be doing a flying dismount this year though since my wife saw a video of Chrissie Wellington at Kona and she didn't do one. I can't argue with that one.

As far as competition in my AG, last year I was top 5% out of the water and top 8% on the bike at Eagleman. This year will not be nearly as competitive since Kona slots have gone away there. Only 3 guys from the top 20 from last year are signed up so that to me is definitely an indicator to how sought after the Kona slots are and is likely an indicator to the depth of the field. In the end I just do my thing anyways and let the cards fall where they may in relation to my AG. With 3 x wave starts over 15 minutes (and I am in the last one so lucky me...not) it really isn't a heads up race anyways. Just my belief on that.

Ok...bike. I will be carrying 3 x 25oz bottles (750ml). One as BTA and two behind my seat. One of the behind my seat will have 240 cals of Skratch in it. Other two are water only. In my bento is 600 cals as 4 x gu and 6 x shot bloks and 3 x sodium tabs (every hour and one near end).

Calories will start with 3 x bloks @ 20'. Another 3 x bloks @ the :50 mark. GU starts 1 every 30' from there so 1:20, 1:50, 2:20 (I always carry an extra one just in case) Bottle of Skratch is consumed half in the first hour/half second hour. This will put me at ~320 cals an hour. As for water consumed, all 3 bottles will be consumed evenly over the time. So 75oz over 2.25 hours. Aid stations are the planned "dump water on me" points. There are 4 stations spaced evenly. I should be in the 2:15-2:25 bike time range, wind dependent.

Run I will consume a GU at the :40 mark and I will have one for the 1:20 mark but we will see on that one. I *should* be done before that one is digested anyways. Water is aid stations every mile. Like you advised, mainly for cooling off. I am the same. A few oz of water in the stomach only.

I follow you on the run breakdown. Mine is very similar actually with ~35 miles as my weekly target. It's broken out in my log in how it's achieved. Maybe I will start titling the sessions with "TEMPO, ENDURANCE, TRACK", etc for ease of identifying. More so for me than anyone else.

I will say I am very impressed you caught my low run mileage comparatively. I know I had to cut short some sessions this month so I went back and added it up. Almost 2 hours of missed miles. Just reinforces I am in the right group knowing you saw that.

So that is my race nutrition breakdown. It's definitely not introducing anything untried come race day. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Very much appreciated. Now to go check the weather again.
2015-06-03 11:56 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
You have done your homework, everything looks spot on.

You are fast enough that you may miss the worst of the wind on the bike and you may miss the worst of the heat on the run. Remember a GU 15 min before swim start and a powerbar or something 2 hours before that.

I guestimate your swim around 35:00, T1 5, Bike 2:25, T2 2, Run 1:48= Race time of 5 hours ish depending on wind and heat. That sound about right? I put a little slush in there for swimming in a crowd, mild wind on the bike (5-10 mph) and heat on the run (low 90s).

You probably don't need to douse yourself with water on the bike if the temp is below 85F with lower humidity, but just go by feel. You probably don't have to do ice on the run unless it is above 90F low to moderate humidity, but it comes down to feel and how your body responds to your effort level. Your nutrition plan has low enough osmology to keep your stomach from draining blood from your muscles. For me, if my mouth feels dry it means I am a bit behind on my hydration. With an aero bottle I can take smaller more frequent sips of water (a mouthfull) rather than 3-4 oz less frequently. You are also fast enough that you might want to do just fluid calories in an aero bottle during your race. I use Infinit at triple concentration and take with regular water. You could get away with a double concentration for the HIM (300 cal per dose in one bottle). So for the IM my bike nutrition is 1 bottle for the first 56 then I get the 2nd bottle from special needs and dump it in the aerobottle for the last half. Do take the 2nd GU on the run. I made the mistake of not doing so on a HIM as I only had 2-3 miles left to go and well lost a lot of energy at the end of the race. So I just stay on plan until I have crossed the finish line. For an IM in the heat I usually shift from GU to gatoraide at mile 20 as my stomach gets a touch sensitive by that point in the race.

So as I said spot on, enjoy your day, obsess about the weather and buy your wife a dinner out or something to thank her for her support.
2015-06-04 10:16 PM

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Hello all...  Great job everyone!

Way to go Jimmy! nice finish..   

Read everyone's posts and people are keeping me motivated, thank you!

Isabella - hoping and praying for a quick recovery..  

Good Luck Brad! Go get 'em..  

Here are my totals for May. Took the last week as a "recovery week". My injections are now monthly, and the gammagard at the rate and amount makes me feel (makes my body feel) hung over and achy. Will try tylenol / benadryl next round.

Swim: 3h 42m 08s - 4412.61 Yd
Bike: 11h 45m 38s - 166.3 Mi
Run: 8h 59m 27s - 41.76 M

Tonight was my first sprint for the year. Also the first one at this location.. all road for bike / run.. Last years' were mountain bike / trail run. I had estimated about a 1:50 race time...  I completed in 1:30.02 (darn 2 seconds..  lol..)

600 yd swim, 12 mile bike, 3 mile run

Here are my times..  really need to work on transition times. I will be using the shorter races to experiment with transition setup, etc.

Gun Time 01:30:02.9
Overall Finish 107 / 112
Gender Finish 81 / 84
Age Group Finish 29 / 29
Swim 00:10:40.2
T1 00:01:33.4
Bike 00:41:53.6
T2 00:01:26.7
Run 00:34:28.8

Yeah i'm slow....that's ok - I'm getting better..  ;-) This was near the time for the shorter winding trails races I ended on last year, so I got that going for me!

Have fun, stay motivated...

-Dennis

2015-06-05 4:00 AM
in reply to: #5075206

User image

Go get'em Dennis! 20 minutes under expectation is awesome. Yes, darn that. .02! Transition times look speedy to me.

So do you prefer the roads or the trails?

2015-06-05 9:20 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I agree those are some speedy transition times and your paces overall were not shabby either. I am guessing you didn't have to scrub mud out from between your toes in a kiddy bath at your T1?
2015-06-07 10:04 PM

User image

Thanks guys...

Very nice exit from water to T1 with plenty of grass to clean the feet. I had a hard time getting my wet-suit off - right foot stuck and had to pry it off. I took my time with shoes, putting on socks, etc. Generally felt slow.. T2 I took time to drink a bit of water as I did not finish my bottle of Gatorade during the bike. I know I can get faster.. at lest in the transitions.. Lol..

Tuesday is a free practice night for Winding trails - mountain bike and trail running... 

Right now, I am thinking I like the road better.. I do enjoy Winding trails - overall 2 great local events that go on all summer. There are a few other options... Quassy Olympic distance in 2 weeks, June 20th - coming soon!

Today's long run - 9 miles..  and I broke 13 minutes..  12:59..  

Saturday did 16 miles on the bike (had family stuff to do so a short ride) and I had my average speed over 16 MPH..  and I forgot to start my darn watch. Had to use the backup from my bike for speed / timings.  Oh well.

Train well, stay healthy...

Best,

-Dennis

(getting faster...)

2015-06-08 6:47 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
WTG, Dennis!!!!
2015-06-08 8:22 PM

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina

Well sounds like a tough race for sure, tops for mental toughness and grats for hanging in there. I am not sure that you should have passed on going to the med tent or urgent care give how you describe your condition after the race. Where were you cramping, calves or side? How hot was it and humidity? Did you keep wet on the bike and run so as to keep your core temp down, was ice available? What time of day did the race start? How many calories per hour did you have planned/take on the bike and run, what did you eat for those calories (did they have salt and potassium in them) and were there calories at the bike aid stations other than the gatoraid that you could have grabbed just in case? How much water per aid station on the bike and run?

I think you are definitely right, I shouldn't have passed the med tent. I did ask the airport if they had a medical area, but they apparently only had EMS (I didn't feel good, but I didn't need EMS). Ultimately I'm quite happy that I ended up at a hotel for the night and the pizza was wonderful .

I was cramping in my thighs during the end of the bike, then I don't remember what was/wasn't cramping during the run, It was definitely all in my legs. I didn't keep wet on the bike, but I felt good until I got the the run transition. Thankfully ice was available, and I did get some dumped on me (that'll wake you up!). I got started sometime in the neighborhood of 8:30 am, I didn't really have a plan for calorie intake (and now I know better). I had a few gu packets (chocolate peanut butter is yummy), and a couple of packets of sports beans.I was eating them every 30-45 mins on the bike. I should've definitely grabbed more from the aid stations, they had vanilla gu that I don't particularly like, but it would've been a much better idea than what I did. Each station on the bike I refilled my water bottle and grabbed a gatorade, during the run I tried to always grab one cup of water and one cup of gatorade to stay hydrated.

Ultimately I had plenty of fluids, but my body had no salt, so I wasn't able to retain the hydration, not the type of mistake that you make twice. I am very confident that I can handle the full ironman in November, but I can't make the same mistakes again. Definitely have to have a much better nutrition plan than winging it at the expo the day before.

I'm finally to the point where I can pick a training plan for my official ironman training, I really like the idea of the HRM ironman one on this website, but I really don't want to pay the $55. Has anyone used this training plan, think it's worth the $55? I wish it was accessible with the bronze plan.
2015-06-08 10:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Jimmy I hope that your workout log is not up do date. I am trying to figure out why the race kicked your butt so much. I don't know if you were undertrained to start with because your logs appear to not be up to date. Can you give me weekly longs in each discipline for the 2 build weeks before taper. Also it looks like you were running about a 150-200 calorie per hour deficit on the bike (90+50 calories ish per hour which should be 300 to 350). On the run it should be 200 ish per hour (200-250). You will need to increase your fitness for an IM as your paces for that race will not quite get you to the finish line in time (17:30 ish) at your current fitness with 3-4 built cycles at longer distances. So if you were unfit for the HIM or you really did screw up your calorie intake or the heat messed with you related to electrolytes, then you can improve on that time to make your IM cutoffs. You are not that far off as you are close in all three disciplines, you didn't have one that really sucked that would burn a cut-off early in the event. Send me a PM if you don't want to talk specifics here. I just don't want anyone to be in the med tent on an IM. I know I talk about them as if they are doable, but that is assuming you have enough base to absorb a long day on the course. Heat and wind leave you with much less of a cushion.

So you should be fine with the basic IM plan for your first IM. Just make sure your long swims are around 5000 yards x3 , long runs around 16 to 17 miles x3 and long bike is 100+ miles x3 before your taper in your last 2 build cycles.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-06-08 11:09 PM

2015-06-09 10:05 AM

User image

New user
Hi folks,

So I have an opportunity to join a few of my colleagues for a lunch hour swim. I went last week and surprisingly, I had the time to commute to the pool, do a 30-min swim, take shower dry hair etc. and come back to office for lunch in just under an hour!
So I will do this 1-2 a week, plus longer swim trainings on weekends, should have me ready for my sprint swims this summer. Bonus, a colleague who was a competitive swimmer will be happy to look at my form and offer advice. Can't pass that!!

Swimmers, what workout would you recommend for short 30-minutes swim?

Aside from that, training goes well, no PE aftermath. I am trying to get back on track with my running, it is slow and painful...
And I really need to find time to ride more. I miss my bike and 1x1-hour ride per week is not enough.

Who is racing soon?
2015-06-09 10:20 AM

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina

Jimmy I hope that your workout log is not up do date. I am trying to figure out why the race kicked your butt so much. I don't know if you were undertrained to start with because your logs appear to not be up to date. Can you give me weekly longs in each discipline for the 2 build weeks before taper. Also it looks like you were running about a 150-200 calorie per hour deficit on the bike (90+50 calories ish per hour which should be 300 to 350). On the run it should be 200 ish per hour (200-250). You will need to increase your fitness for an IM as your paces for that race will not quite get you to the finish line in time (17:30 ish) at your current fitness with 3-4 built cycles at longer distances. So if you were unfit for the HIM or you really did screw up your calorie intake or the heat messed with you related to electrolytes, then you can improve on that time to make your IM cutoffs. You are not that far off as you are close in all three disciplines, you didn't have one that really sucked that would burn a cut-off early in the event. Send me a PM if you don't want to talk specifics here. I just don't want anyone to be in the med tent on an IM. I know I talk about them as if they are doable, but that is assuming you have enough base to absorb a long day on the course. Heat and wind leave you with much less of a cushion.

So you should be fine with the basic IM plan for your first IM. Just make sure your long swims are around 5000 yards x3 , long runs around 16 to 17 miles x3 and long bike is 100+ miles x3 before your taper in your last 2 build cycles.

Great info for the calories, thank you!

My workout log is not up to date, it will automatically upload anything I do with my watch, but I haven't been adding any other activities that I've been doing. (For example, I did a tough mudder over the weekend). I don't remember what I did the two weeks before specifically because I was really bad about logging the information while I was traveling for work and exercising in the hotel. Going forward shouldn't be too hard to keep my log up to date since I won't have any more events outside of running or tri's, and I can finally train outdoors all of the time .

I can tell you that I was definitely undertrained for the bike, I was right where I was attempting to be for the swim, and I was expecting to be set for the run since I had completed that marathon a few weeks ago.

Training for the IM, my swim pace will probably stay similar, I'm looking to improve it some, but mostly I just want to finish that leg within the cutoff time. I expect that my bike will improve pretty significantly since I am shifting off of a run focus, and will spend a lot more time in the saddle. My run pace should fall somewhere around a 9 min/mile pace, as that is what my easy-run pace is currently and I just plan on maintaining it.
2015-06-09 9:10 PM
in reply to: jimmybags

User image

Hey there.

Practice night at Winding Trails...  Legs were burnt from Sunday's 9 mile long run.. (took yesterday off) as I knew I was gonna hit all 3 events tonight.

Swim - course is 400 yds, I did 600 ish. My time was a little slower than last Thursday @ 1.3 mph - still not bad. I have a 1 mile swim in a couple of weeks (olympic distance tri) that I am concerned with..  any last minute miracle cures for swimming?

Bike - first time on the mountain bike this year - ouch - shifting took a toll on my thumb and the bumps did a number on my forearms..  averaged 8+ mph for 4.7 miles. I need to add a bit more air to the tires, they were a little too soft. Will also need to work on the front suspension a little to get it dialed in.

Run - Legs were like jelly...  did 3.1 miles at 13:29 min/mile - which, for me, isn't too bad.. I kept thinking if I was 10 pounds lighter, or more, I would be much faster. Need to work the nutrition plan better.

My transitions were in the 5+ minute range..  taking it easy.

Overall i am about 10 mins faster (bike / run) than last year...  I did not have my swims in Strava as last year my watch was not waterproof. This year I have the Garmin 920xt and love it.

OK - I think the verdict is in...  I like road races better..  :D 

I still signed up for the "5 pack" of races and will try to hit 5 trail events this summer. My first goal is to be under 1:15... I finished last year just under 1:30.. The "real" competitors are under an hour - wave 1 group.

A couple of good workouts this week, than a little taper week before the Oly tri on the 20th...  This will be my "B" race for the season..  

Isabella - nice to see you training... keep up the great work!

Jimmy - I will re-read your report.  Glad you are OK now..  Keep the faith.

All - Keep up the great work...

Best,

-Dennis

2015-06-09 11:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Oh that is right you had done a marathon recently. It probably takes about a month to recover from a marathon so 2 weeks... not enough. Your HIM was impacted by that.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-06-09 11:46 PM
2015-06-10 8:12 AM

User image

And of course one leg of my itinerary was cancelled and my bike bag is now MIA according to customer service as I sit at my final destination after 30 hours of no sleep/flying. I have been told it might be in Nashville. So funny since my wheel bag made it to me. Is this an excuse to get a new bike? (I know all my fit measurements by heart) Hmmmmmmm...

Good thing is I carried my power meter on with me so have it! (Vectors) if I do have to rent/buy/beg/borrow a bike.

Glad I am not one to stress much.

2015-06-10 7:14 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Yes, good time to go with the flow on the missing bike! Renting works .

Steve, been meaning to say I really like what you did in terms of writing letters to your co-workers/subordinates. People know it's sincere when you have nothing to gain from it, so much more meaningful.

Isabella, glad you are getting back to what you enjoy. Being in touch with the delicacy of life is a gift in some ways. Not something you would ask for, but adds perspective for sure.

Not much tri stuff for me right now. But have at least gotten into a reasonably good habit of walking and doing some strength work on a regular basis. Riding my bike a bit on the weekend as well.
2015-06-11 12:39 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Reunited with my bike. All put together and will do a session later this afternoon. Let the good times roll!

(I had already found my next bike in stock at a local store to purchase on Saturday too....haha)

Brad
2015-06-11 2:44 PM

User image

New user
Brad - That was quick!!! (and you were even quicker on finding a new bike... quite revealing!)
Still, good thing they found it
2015-06-12 1:44 AM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Last day at work today after 14 years, mixed feelings. Off to grand jury duty Monday, sigh. At least I get to sleep in tomorrow.

I keep thinking that I should be recovered any day now, but then I get my heart rate up a touch and have to back it back down. I have been able to get in some steady workouts at a low intensity, so happy with overall training. I don't plan on the Boulder IM to be as fast as the TX one as I really only have 6 ish weeks before the race and I am not yet 100 percent, so just time to get fitness back mostly. I will just enjoy the race and keep things moderate paced and steady. My wife will be in the VIP section no doubt drinking cold beverages while waiting for me to come by in the 100F temps (probably).

I hope all our lost sheep are doing well. Things have been pretty quiet on the boards.
2015-06-12 5:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Dennis -
you are a rock star! A nine mile run? I remember when you just began all this not that long ago. I would love to have your swim time and to do a 1:30 sprint. The time doesn't look so good because you were at a small race where really good triathletes go to practice and it's a really hilly course . You would not rank so low at a "regular" event.

Didn't do all the foundational work I wanted to do, but I'm getting consistent on my workouts doing sbr at least 2x, shooting for 3x consistently. Found the 3x program workouts too hard, so doing a 2x plan and adding foundation runs, bike, swims once a week. Nervous about oly at the end of Aug. Wanted to do a local sprint in July, but Dennis's account reminded me what a hard course it is and how fast people there are.
It is cheap and local so I might just have to suck it up and tri.

Am keeping up with posts - so many of you having so many accomplishments. Impressive and I'm learning a lot.

Mitzi

2015-06-13 3:19 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Isabella, glad to see that you are recovering fine.

Dennis, I agree with Mitzi regarding that 9 mile run. I thought it was a typo. You are really rocking along.

Mitzi, glad to have to back and good to know that training is going pretty well. I hear you Girl on a local race that is cheap - although tough! You gotta do it tho cuz you will regret it if you don't.

Steve, it must really be hard leaving your employment after 14 years. And grand jury duty? Have you already been selected? Hope not since it's a year commitment.

Last week my hubby thought he had broken his foot again and went in for an xray. Thankfully it wasn't broken but the PF is severe. They offered up surgery - or no longer running. He won't do surgery so he was bummed about losing hard-earned fitness. Thankfully, a coworker asked him to do a charity ride today so it was a nice redirect for him. Because he hasn't been biking a lot lately, he signed up for the 40 miler which was his first official ride. He got his first experience with drafting and LOVED it. Glad it worked for him.

Finally gotten myself back to consistent 5x a week running and my weekly mileage is finally getting up to normal range. I'm hoping if I can continue plugging away during the hot Florida summer, I'll be ready for a hard, hard effort at Soldier Marathon in November. I actually hope/wish/pray for a BQ but since that would mean taking another 20 min off my PR (which was 15 off my prior one), I know that it will be hard. But I'll work towards it and then accept what happens. After Soldier, I won't sign up for my fav't ultra because I'll be pacing a friend during some of it. But hopefully I will be ready for an easy effort on Tally Marathon's new course in Feb. And yesterday, I found that the new Destin marathon will happen in April so I'm hoping to possibly hit it next year.

Brad are you racing this weekend? Best of luck to you!!!!!!

Oh wow, just realized that even with the time diff, the Seattle marathon should be over now. Need to go check on 3 friends.

Have a great weekend all.
2015-06-14 7:24 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Good day for me with some lessons learned during my Eagleman race. Race report in a few days. Time to travel to my parents home.

Teaser:

Swim: 1st AG and 30th out of 2597 overall.

T1: 1:49

Bike: 1st AG and 27th out of 2597 overall.

T2: 1:39

Run: 32 AG (such a rookie mistake here....grrrrrrrr) and 225 out of 2597 overall.

Maybe 300 or so in my age group today. Not sure of the official number yet.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Brad
2015-06-14 8:02 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Extremely amazing performance! Way to go!
2015-06-15 12:01 PM

User image

Wow... ok so it's been a while since I gave an update! I've been working my off getting ready for the first tri.

Firstly... open water swimming. I was totally not prepared for how different it was. I see a ton of blogs and advice online for how to get prepared for the difference between a lap pool and open water, and to add to all of those, I just want to say that the best way to get adjusted is just to find an open water area and get in! I've been swimming regularly in my local reservoir and it's awesome - I totally prefer it now to the lap pool but it's definitely unnerving not being able to see much in front of you, having no black line underneath you with which to follow, and also the practise of sighting is WAY more difficult than it sounds!

Running - well this has been tricky as I picked up an old bad habit through stressful times of smoking, and that's made the running more challenging. I am consistent though, albeit not "fast" any more. Sticking at somewhere around 8:30/mile.

Riding - Again, with this, I'm not fast but the fact that I'm just putting more solid miles on a friends bike, I'm getting more consistent.

I had my first informal friendly tri with friends on the weekend, not an organised event but went from swim to bike to run. Preparation over the last number of months along with doing some bricks definitely helped with my transitioning from one discipline to the other but it still had an interesting effect on my muscles (specifically just above my knees) and let me know how much slower things get as you go on.

I feel I'm ready for my first triathlon now, so my focus has shifted from "can I?" to "how fast can I?". A great switch in mindset.

Anyway, for accountability reasons, I thought I'd give y'all an update :-) I am so proud of everyone getting out there and doing it! You are all an inspiration. See you at the finish line!

David
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.