BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-07-15 5:46 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)
If you're getting older and not getting (much) slower, that in itself is a victory!

Steve, trick is to sell your old house to a triathlete, charge a premium for your endless pool, and fund part of your new one .

2015-07-15 6:33 PM
in reply to: #5075206

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Hi again everyone. I've been absent from posting but I have read all the threads as they pop up on my email. Congrats to everyone on their races and training. For me, it seems like every time I start to get into a groove, a curveball gets thrown my way. As for training, it's been really hit and miss between work and our daughters wedding coming up. I did a super sprint last weekend and won my age group. I had planned to do it with Sheri but she backed out at the last minute because of her knee. We had a 5k the following day and she felt good enough to walk/jog it and I stayed with her. She sees her orthopedic surgeon Friday to see if she has caused any serious damage. As for other races, we've done a couple of 10k and 5k races locally, and are heading to Denver Saturday for the Revel Rockies half marathon. I had signed up for the full, but given her knee issues I deferred the full to next year and signed up to do the half with her, if she can do it. If not I'll have a nice catered training run. Otherwise I continue to struggle to get meaningful and consistent training in, but haven't given up yet. I hope everyone has a great rest of the summer.
2015-07-16 2:04 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut
2015-07-17 6:46 AM

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Happy Friday everyone!

There's been a lot going on here lately!

Thanks for asking about my move as well! I am officially living at my new house just outside Greenville, SC. The pup and I are sleeping on the floor until next friday (when my stuff is finally supposed to arrive).

I've been mostly keeping up with my training, I did have to miss a couple of workouts this week due to traveling home from work. Turns out there's no legal place to swim before 8:00 am sunday morning in SC, and every place closes at 3 p.m. on sundays in Ohio. So unless I had stopped on my commute up to Ohio for work, I didn't have too much of a choice.

For the most part, I'm still hanging onto my training plan, and as soon as I can get settled I can't wait to make my workouts a routine .

Dennis: I laughed when I read your race report, "what would you do different?" - "Bring socks..." . Also, I moved to the Greenville area, I actually am missing New Hampshire a lot. The lakes up there are amazing, and the summer is not quite as hot as it is down here. I do love Greenville though, I'm 20 minutes from the closest mountain, so I have a pretty good mix of being close to the mountains, and not far from the beach. I'll probably like it a lot more when I'm not shoveling feet of snow every day over the winter

Isabella: Congrats on the race!

Phil: Congrats on getting married!

Steve and Carol: Enjoy the career changes!
2015-07-17 11:04 AM
in reply to: jimmybags

User image

Lake T went better than before..  even with a few mishaps..

Tammy came down to support me..  will get the pics off the camera later..  Stomach feeling weird, nervous, like I hadn't eaten all day. Not sure if it was because my wife was there or just nerves??

When I arrived and started setting up stomach felt much better..  run around get things ready. I had not pre-registered so had to do that as well. Joked around with the staff and just enjoyed the day. HEAT was having a pot luck dinner afterwards so I was keeping an eye out for all the other members - look for the HEAT outfits...

Times - messed up watch, official results not posted yet..  I did beat last race. PR on Bike and Run - even beat my stand alone 5k run!!

Bike - running from dismount into T2 I fell w/ the bike. Trying to do too many things at once... Heard a loud crack when I hit the ground. Afraid to go look..  Really need a new bike now. During the ride would not shift into small chain ring and when it would finally (reach down and pushed it) kept rubbing the chain - needs adjustment.

Swim: 13:46
T1: 13 seconds (just hit buttons to clear to bike)
Bike: 39:12
T2: 1:10
Run: 33:31

Overall: 1:27:52

About 2 minutes faster than last time... official results should be a little better? My muscles feel great, my aerobic fitness needs more work. I am keeping my HR around 165 - 170+  My legs felt like I could have gone faster... 

Race report coming soon... Love these [weekly] local series.

Pot luck dinner afterwards was fun... nice to have time to talk w/ everyone.

Jimmy: if you miss the snow, I have a spare room... you can come up to CT and shovel any time you want.. Great you are keeping up with training while moving. 

2015-07-19 6:18 AM

User image

The first few weeks of workouts after taking a few weeks off.....ugh!

2015-07-20 10:53 AM
in reply to: scubabrad02

User image

Race report posted: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=534231

Not as fast as I had thought...  only beat last time by ~ 1 minute...

After taking the weekend off will need to see how this Tuesday compares to last week..? 

Since I fell with my bike (running) I figure I have my crash for the season, so there may be a bike in my [very near] future...  and not one of the ones I posted.  Stay tuned.  Hope to meet up with store owner tonight and work out a deal...

@Brad - back in the saddle...   Yee Haw!

-Dennis

2015-07-20 4:55 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

Hey all. Still pretty new to this whole triathlon thing and would love to join this group to get advice and see what others are doing. Hopefully by watching some really awesome people accomplish great things I will continue to be inspired to do the same. If I can join, will post bio.
2015-07-21 5:12 PM
in reply to: Bwells18

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Bwells, plenty of room common in.

I am off to Clearlake for a few days. House projects for the week will be spreading 18 tons of gravel on the driveway after finishing the trench for the drain and maybe painting the fence. I will be offline for a few days, but IM Boulder is just 1 1/2 weeks away. I will check in when I can, I will be hither and yon for the next 2-3 weeks.
2015-07-21 10:26 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

First DNF...  Called due to thunder / lightning / falling branches...

Was doing OK.. Good swim (00:11:28), decent T1 (1:38) and relatively fast bike (00:31:25) considering the torrential rains and trails like rivers...

On to the next one...  maybe hit up Winding Trails next Tuesday (add in) to make up for tonight. Will see what the week will bring.

Pick up the new ride tomorrow...  Appointment for a fit tomorrow at 4:00.. 

2015-07-21 10:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

First DNF...  Called due to thunder / lightning / falling branches...

Was doing OK.. Good swim (00:11:28), decent T1 (1:38) and relatively fast bike (00:31:25) considering the torrential rains and trails like rivers...

On to the next one...  maybe hit up Winding Trails next Tuesday (add in) to make up for tonight. Will see what the week will bring.

Pick up the new ride tomorrow...  Appointment for a fit tomorrow at 4:00.. Felt B 14..

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2015/Bikes/TT-TRI/B-Series/B14-Available-in-650c-.aspx

Edited by Dennis B 2015-07-21 10:28 PM

(Felt B14.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Felt B14.jpg (52KB - 5 downloads)

2015-07-22 9:36 AM

User image

New user
Oh, I am so jealous of you right now.
You will be wicked fast on that bike

Bummer for race being cancelled... safety first.

Last couple of days were not good training wise, I was just feeling so tired and exhausted all the time, I had to sleep!
Hopefully I can catch up on a few workouts for the remaining of this week.

Can't wait for summer vacations, still a couple of weeks away...
2015-07-22 11:38 AM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Sweet ride Dennis!
2015-07-22 10:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
That's a beauty! Love the aero bars.

I'm wondering if I'm ready to do an oly Aug. 23. I'm kinda on track with the bt training plan, but workouts are not easy. Haven't been as consistent as I should have been. I just did my longest run - five miles - even with hills didn't feel too bad. Something clicked in the pool and I went from swimming 8 laps max to 46 laps the other day. Painfully slow but felt like I could keep going- but still not close to 1600m.

Tempted to call and see if I can transfer to the sprint distance. I don't want to, but worry about DNF or being the last one struggling across the finish line. Had a vision of being more powerful this year. I see it for the sprint 8/31, but wonder what to do. It would be a defeat to bail on oly, but the issue isn't now but the past months of inconsistent training. Maybe struggling but doing it matters.
Is it possible I'm not as unprepared as I feel? Can I really get ready in four weeks (forth one being a temper week)?

Mitzi

2015-07-22 10:34 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Mitzi - I've got one piece of maybe good news for you. Oly swim should only be 1500m not 1600m
2015-07-23 1:45 PM

User image

New user
I am finally going to get my furniture tomorrow! ... and nutrition belt for running....and out-door tires for my bike... and a change of clothes for working out (with no washer and dryer, and minimal clothes to wear, I know that I smell terrible!).

I also got everything finally settled for my swimming arrangements. My neighborhood has a pool, and I finally have access to use it! So between that, and having a fitness center at work I can train for Florida without having a gym membership

I also found a very nice trail that is good for long rides, the swamp rabbit trail isn't ideal if you're trying to train for speed, but there are so many water stops that I can do the ride without dying of dehydration. I am very excited to final stabilize my training a little bit!

Mitzi-

There's nothing wrong with being the last one struggling over the finish line . I got to be that person at Raleigh, and someone yelled at me towards the end "what you just did was way harder than what the winner did." So I am quite proud having survived the day!

Anyway, glancing at your training log, and if you are on track to the BT training plan. I would say go for it! You might be surprised at how well prepared you actually are . That's my vote

Dennis - Pretty bike

Bwells - Welcome!

2015-07-25 9:53 PM

Hey everyone. Sorry it's been quite awhile. I got knocked flat by a bad ear infection for three weeks and that threw me off of everything. I was able to patch together enough training to get through my race today though.

It was my first Triathlon, and though I could have done better, I think I did ok.

Maybe someone can help me decipher my results? It's very confusing to me. Here's the results page:

https://enter2run.com/results/default.aspx?event=34080

I'm in the 35-39 age group name Daniel Page.

Under Run it says my time is 1:30:56. But under Total it says 1:21:27. So, what's the deal here? Which is my actual overall result? And, how do I tell what my individual event times are for the bike and run?

I'll have a more detailed race story for you all later :).

Edited by Paperclip 2015-07-25 9:53 PM
2015-07-26 10:11 PM
in reply to: Paperclip

User image

Hello all!

Good weekend of training. Loving the new bike. Thanks!

Maiden voyage last Thursday 16 miles, w/ a 16.4 mph average. Saturday 60 miles w/ a 16.2 MPH average. This was on a trail system that crossed a LOT of roads. Need to slow / stop at all the crossings. Can't wait to see how it goes on Thursday with the roads setup for racing..??

Sunday 8 mile run - I used a metronome on my watch. Did a negative split 160 spm first 4 miles, then 170 spm on the next 4. Felt good and averaged 12:35 min/mi for the 8. Why didn't I use this feature previously??

Time to get serious with my eating and training.... 5 weeks of training and 2 weeks for taper. Rock and Roll.

Isabella - our body tells us enough is enough once in a while. Get some rest then right back at it!!

Mitzi - Run your race, do the best you can. All there is too it. Err on this side of caution, if you feel you can do the longer distance without injury and finish in good spirits - than go for it! Otherwise, do the sprint, have fun, keep smiling. Either way you are awesome just for getting out there...

Bwells - welcome, come on in, the water is fine!

Jimmy - Great stuff all around. Happy you are settling in nicely.

Daniel - Nice job!!! Not sure how to interpret the times.? I would just add them up manually and that is your total. Have no idea how they did this. For your first tri you did great!

Have a great week everyone!!

Best,
-Dennis

2015-07-27 8:20 AM
in reply to: Paperclip

User image

New user
Daniel: All I can gather from this is you ranked 44 Overall (all categories) and 10th in your categoriy (Men 35-39).
Now for individual sports you were ranked 14th on the swim, 11th on the bike and 7th on the run. Pretty good!

I don't know how what the times are, it makes no sense to me. Anyway, great job, was it your first tri? A finish time of 1h21 is pretty awesome
2015-07-27 11:42 AM

Ok, so I guess I'm not the only one who thought it was confusing. Good to know I'm not just stupid! :)

So, here's some details on how It went:

The swim was 300m in a pool doing 6 laps with the serpentine thing where you duck under the rope after each full lap. I did really badly, probably my worst 300m in a very long time. It was MUCH different swimming in a pool full of 30 - 40 people at a time. My very first lap I got a huge mouthful of water and couldn't fully recover my breath after that. Ducking under the first rope, I mis-timed my breath and got a lot of water up my nose, which put me back on my breathing even more. After that, I got about 5 more mouthfuls of water. I wound up having to stop several times to catch my breath because of all this. However, once I got through it I didn't let it get me down.

I ran straight out to my bike and got going on the next leg. My bike is a hybrid, so not really a racing bike per se. It's a bit heavy but it gets the job done. Also, I don't have the clip-in pedals yet so it's all push power for me. Despite these things, I think I managed a decent time. Looking at my totals, I believe I came in under 50 minutes for the 12 miles (Though I can't say for 100% sure) which I guess is decent. I passed about 5 people total, all of whom had much better equipment than me, so that felt good. It was a lot hillier than I had been led to believe, but the whole area near my house where I train is a mess of hills so it didn't really bother me.

After that, it was on to the run. Most of the stiffness from the bike was gone by the time I racked my bike and started the run. I passed a couple of guys immediately, one of whom was walking almost right out of the gate. I felt really strong during the run, although for most of the first mile my upper back right between my shoulder blades was aching horribly. When I walked a few feet at the first water station in order to snag a drink, that went away, so I'm not really sure what the deal was there. After that it was smooth sailing. I passed several more people on my way to the end. It ended inside a stadium where I had to run a lap of the track to get to the finish. I was able to sprint the last 100 meters, which felt really great.

So, in summary, I guess it didn't go too bad. I was targeting 1:20:00 or less so I was right in the ballpark of my target. Had the swim gone better I would have gotten it. What feels even better is that I know I have tremendous room for improvement in all the events. I'm not sure exactly how to prepare for the crazy swim conditions though. The next event I'm planning to run is in September and it is the same distances except the swim is 500m and it's in open water. That has me pretty nervous but I don't want to chicken out so I guess I'll have to get to a lake a few times before then and practice OW swimming.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who read through that long slog. It's amazing having my first ever Triathlon under my belt. Now that I know I can do it, I'm pumped to do some more and to improve on my times.

EDIT: Hm, ok so I looked at the results page again today, and it got cleaned up a bit. So, now I can see my individual times, and also some of the weird numbers that didn't make sense (such as the 1:30:00 for the run time) are fixed.

So, it looks like my bike time was about 42 minutes?! That doesn't seem bad at all! My previous best 12 miles on the bike was about 52 to 54 minutes in training, so I feel really good right now. I think if I got an actual racing bike as well as some clip-in pedals, I could maybe push that below 40 minutes, which would be fantastic.

Edited by Paperclip 2015-07-27 11:53 AM
2015-07-27 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by jimmybags
I got to be that person at Raleigh, and someone yelled at me towards the end "what you just did was way harder than what the winner did." So I am quite proud having survived the day!

Priceless!!!!

Jimmy, so glad you are getting all settled. Sounds like you are going to like NC.

Dennis, nice bike!

Isabella, take it easy and recover first.

Daniel, wow, you did great! Congratulations on completing your first tri. Heck of a feeling, ain't it?

Mitzi, my 2 cents. If you can go the OLY safely (not hurt yourself), then do it. You will never know if you drop down to a sprint if you could have done it. Several things could happen - you can find out you are stronger than you thought or you may finish near the end but have the satisfaction of knowing that you did it. And even if things went bad in the races, that when I learn the most about myself. Good luck with your decision.

Edited by Pink Socks 2015-07-27 1:13 PM

2015-07-28 1:13 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Daniel - nice job! Have fun preparing for the OW swim experience. Stay calm and you'll do great!

Steve #1 - good luck next weekend! Are you going to make me look up the bib number?

Steve #2 - Nice work on your last race! I frown when real-life gets in the way of training. If it was easy though I guess everyone would be doing it.

Isabella - hope you got some rest/sleep! You'll be better for it.

Jimmy? You are in SC now? We will have to get together and do a S/B/R sometime. I have relatives near you. (as did I when you were in NH as well but I never got up there)

Dennis - Nice write-up. Your races always make me smile. Love that you are enjoying it. Brings me motivation!

Mitzi - what did you decide in regards to the sprint vs oly?

BWells - Welcome! This group is awesome. Enjoy the entire experience. It can be quite a ride.

Pam - I did not look back through the posts but I thought I read last you were not feeling well. I hope that has turned around for you! If I am mistaken, disregard and I'll blame it on cmmmmmm, ugh, well my brain is going since I went over 40. =)

Everyone else, hope the summer is everything you wanted it to be!

As for me, just getting acclimated to the Middle East summer heat. Lot's of early mornings for me.
2015-07-30 7:04 AM

User image

New user
Daniel - Enjoyed the read , Good work!

Brad - If you're ever in town, we should make that happen. Unless it's on a thursday, thursdays are my rest days (beer days)
2015-07-30 9:29 PM
in reply to: jimmybags

User image

Quick check in...  didn't race - thunder storms in area and my wife called "your not going in this crap are you"..  so I said no, just heading out to unpack my truck..  

Sometimes it's better to NOT go - wouldn't want her worrying all night, especially after last weeks ride in the thunderstorms at Winding trails.

Found out later they still ran, a duathlon - run / bike / run. meh, I made the right choice...

I went for a 4 mile run around the block to burn off some energy..  tomorrow a long bike then heading north for the weekend.

Stay safe, train hard, have fun!

-Dennis

2015-07-31 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Dennis, so there are thunderstorms in the area but you still went for a 4 mile run? :-)

Mr. Steve, your number please? Best of luck in Boulder!

Brad, you were right, I was having problems with a pulled muscle in my back. One day it was still painful and then poof, the next day I was healed. It was a gloriously happy day to have it no longer hurting. The whole thing lasted about 3 weeks and I was getting low on patience. Thanks for asking.

Now that the back pain is gone, I've got to work on getting some speed in my running. I was bad last week because we had a chance for a mini vaca so I didn't do my long as we went to nola. Tomorrow got to do a 3 hour run.

I'll be the first to post my numbers since I don't think I'll be doing any more today.
Run: 22h 13m - 107.6 Mi
Strength: 20m
Misc.: 30m
Stair Running: 05m
Stretching: 15m
Walking: 5h 10m
Yoga: 3h 25m
Weight loss: almost back to normal weight

Anyone here ever do Whole30? I'm planning to start this weekend for a myriad of different reason. Much of the plan is similar to my current eating but dang, it will bloody hurt to give up wine and my Dr. Pepper.

Edited by Pink Socks 2015-07-31 10:00 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.