BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2015-01-26 12:56 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)
Hey Steve,

Never done the Bolder Boulder and was going to do the Colder Boulder but life got in the way... Perhaps I'll sign up to the Bolder Boulder this year and see you on the asphalt!

Dave

2015-01-26 11:03 PM
in reply to: RookeyDavid

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

COgirl, where do you swim/ride/run?

I generally swim at the Lafayette rec center.
Bike and run around Broomfield/Erie area - Hwy 7
And you should sign up for the BB. FUN race!

Steve - are you in CO? Love the BB also! Hate that hill at mile 4ish though.

Hope everyone had a great Monday. It was 70+ today here, totally crazy!
2015-01-26 11:07 PM
in reply to: #5075206

STORY: Hi! I am 29, from New Mexico & a little on the heavier size but, I have lost over 70lbs. I do workout frequently and decided to add a sprint triathlon to my list of completed challenges.

I was a wrestler in high school and would love to get the athlete I'm me back.

FAMILY STATUS: Married my high school sweet heart of 11 years--2 weeks ago. We have a 7 year old boy, a 5 year old girl & 2 dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been spinning for over a year now. I just recently purchased a bike and go on occasional bike rides. I jog/walk 1 1/2 miles about 3 times a week. I just got the schedule for our local indoor pool today and will start swimming on Friday and continue to do so about 2 times a week.

I have done a couple of 5ks. This is my first sprint.

2015 RACES: I did the biggest loser 5k. I'm signed up for two more 5ks. I plan to do the Mighty Mujer sprint triathlon in El Lao TX in April.  
2015-01-27 12:52 AM
in reply to: gabrie85

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Welcome to the group.

We have folks doing all distances here so try to not compare yourself to someone prepping for an Ironman when you are prepping for a sprint. The main thing is getting into a lifestyle of fitness that has some races just for fun to help shape your training and to join in with like minded individuals.

For our folks buying new bikes, you are getting seats with cutouts so your parts don't go to sleep on ya right? The best seat I have ever had is the Adamo Attack. It is pricy, but I plan to ride it for 30,000 miles so meh.

For those who obsess about numbers, this is the last week to round them out and stay on your diet for end of the month reporting on your progress.
2015-01-27 10:57 AM
in reply to: COgirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Cathy - we live in Ogallala, Nebraska which is only about 200 miles from Boulder. We go there and to Fort Collins pretty regularly. The front range also has quite a few more options for running/triathlon events than we have nearby, although it is starting to pick up around here.
2015-01-27 11:27 AM

User image

Yeh, I think we're crossing paths a lot... I do my "controlled drowning" in North Boulder Rec Center and tend to run either in Longmont or around Westminster (108th & Wads). Perhaps at some point we should get together for a bike/run? I just need to get a bit more comfortable with all three disciplines before I'm at decent speeds though.

I have a ride with 3 multiple Iron Men (& Woman!) today with all their crazy stories, tri bikes and strength. Today is my 3rd day ever on a borrowed road bike! I can barely work the gears properly yet (still getting the hang of having two changeable geared sprockets)... wish me luck.

2015-01-27 3:59 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by RookeyDavid Yeh, I think we're crossing paths a lot... I do my "controlled drowning" in North Boulder Rec Center and tend to run either in Longmont or around Westminster (108th & Wads). Perhaps at some point we should get together for a bike/run? I just need to get a bit more comfortable with all three disciplines before I'm at decent speeds though. I have a ride with 3 multiple Iron Men (& Woman!) today with all their crazy stories, tri bikes and strength. Today is my 3rd day ever on a borrowed road bike! I can barely work the gears properly yet (still getting the hang of having two changeable geared sprockets)... wish me luck.

Good luck and have fun. They will give you great tips!

2015-01-27 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Bolder Boulder is a blast. The first year I ran it, I ran it as a "tourist" and spent most of my time taking in the sights. I saw the runners doing keg stands within the first 2 miles thinking that they were crazy. My wife was volunteering at an intersection around the 2.2 mile mark and she told me afterwards that one guy threw up all over a front yard by her intersection, presumably from consuming too much beer. I was also amazed at how many people came out to support the runners, in their front yards, from the balconies, on the sidewalks, etc.

A couple of things I learned was that stopping to watch the pole dancing class and the belly dancers perform will kill your finishing time, and don't eat the bacon at mile 5. A friend of mine had ran in it before and told me I HAD to try the bacon the guy was handing out. I guess he's a regular. Anyway I get close to mile 5 and there he is, so of course I take a piece. I didn't make it a block before I felt like I was going to toss the bacon right back out. Apparently I didn't consume enough gin and tonic before eating the bacon (I wasn't told about the gin and tonic, not that I would have drank any). You also need to watch the elite runners at the end. They were just gliding along and made it look effortless, all the while running 5 minute miles. Pretty impressive.

Even if you don't run in it, I would suggest going and watching it. Obviously the race directors know how to run the race but I was constantly amazed at how smooth and efficient the whole process was of getting 47,000 runners and walkers from start to finish. In the three years I've ran in it, I've never felt like it was a "huge" race. At least not until I get into the stadium. Save a touch of strength for the last "hill" that takes you up into the stadium. The hill leading up to the "summit" is bad enough but then you have to run up the ramp to get to the stadium at the end, which always kills me.

This year we are going to start in a non-qualified wave so that my wife and I and some friends can all start together. I don't know which wave we are in yet but we signed up for the fastest non-qualified wave since we are all at different levels. What I was told is that you can go down to a slower wave but you can't move up to a faster wave. Once I find out which wave we are in I'll let you know.

Steve
2015-01-27 4:56 PM

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Sorry I haven't checked in! I had to battle what I assume to be the plague a couple of weeks ago, then I was traveling for work.

Winter is really hindering my ability to train safely. I've been having to get on the trainer more and more, and run outside less and less.
2015-01-27 8:04 PM
in reply to: jimmybags

Hi all,

I'd like to join too.

I'm a 37 years old, have never really been an athlete although i have tried to keep relatively in shape on and off over the years. I've signed up for my first Olympic distance tri (NYC - July 19 2015). I am a complete newbie to tri, no sprints even. I am a decent enough swimmer. Running, have just completed couch to 5k and now going from 5k to 10k...

Why am i doing this? I like swimming, and then i started adding to it with running and biking... seemed to make sense - however just as i was starting to get the beginnings of catching the bug i had a bad cycling accident last august (broke leg, scapula, banged head... no memory of it but suspect i was hit by a car)... this has motivated me to make something happen this year and get past this. I'm also an asthmatic - and it's way better when i'm in shape but it does take some warmup time to get into the breathing groove at the beginning - so am extra conscious of wanting to be swim ready.

That's the summary - I looking forward to spending time with you all on the forum! Keep up the training all!

Simon
2015-01-28 1:33 AM
in reply to: sifisher

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Welcome Simon. Did you have a helmet on? Ya bike crashes kinda suck. The other weird thing is that when you get back on the bike after a crash like that you are nervous about stuff like cars, sand, wind, going too fast etc. It does pass, but your body will try to convince your mind that bike riding is not a good thing until you re-acclimate to it. It sounds like you are in decent enough shape to hit that Oly, do you have a plan yet? Oly is short enough that you can't completely screw up your calories on the course, but long enough that you do need to take in some calories or you will feel it on the run.

Do you have any residual issues from your crash or are you all set?

Long day for me 7.5 mile run and 3100 yard swim.... only gona get tougher from here. In about another 3-5 weeks the fatigue will sap motivation and then I get to suck it up and get it done... the vulgar version used by the hardcore triathletes is HTFU. Oh well late and off to bed.

2015-01-28 5:47 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by sifisher Hi all, I'd like to join too. I'm a 37 years old, have never really been an athlete although i have tried to keep relatively in shape on and off over the years. I've signed up for my first Olympic distance tri (NYC - July 19 2015). I am a complete newbie to tri, no sprints even. I am a decent enough swimmer. Running, have just completed couch to 5k and now going from 5k to 10k... Why am i doing this? I like swimming, and then i started adding to it with running and biking... seemed to make sense - however just as i was starting to get the beginnings of catching the bug i had a bad cycling accident last august (broke leg, scapula, banged head... no memory of it but suspect i was hit by a car)... this has motivated me to make something happen this year and get past this. I'm also an asthmatic - and it's way better when i'm in shape but it does take some warmup time to get into the breathing groove at the beginning - so am extra conscious of wanting to be swim ready. That's the summary - I looking forward to spending time with you all on the forum! Keep up the training all! Simon

Welcome Simon. My first Oly was NYC. It is a great race. My husband and I are going to be racing it this year. We'll have to meet up. I was hit by a car years ago on  my bike. Good for you for 'getting back on the horse' again so soon. It is true, there is nervousness about riding and crashing again. Your brain can be re-wired though. I just remember how fun it was to ride a bike when I was a kid when those times come on me.

This is a great group.

This is my first week in a month since my bout with the plague that I am starting to feel a better. I got a slow swim in yesterday, did ok in my 15 k race this weekend (had to walk a bunch) but I am getting my wind and strength back. Hopefully I am not too far behind to keep on the HIM plan.

2015-01-28 8:53 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

Thanks Baowolf and Robin - both very useful comments already, very encouraging to hear... yes i was wearing a helmet - it got cracked up pretty well so it's a good thing I was doing so... but i need to get a new one now you are correct about mental hurdles - but i figured the other option is to never ride a bike again - which seemed more of a stretch of the imagination...

Physically I am all set to train - no residual issues. I don't have a formal training plan yet and have been trying to find one - for now I am simply going to gym 4 times a week and building up every time, and throwing in some skiing for fun where i can - but mostly doing treadmill running (can do a slow continuous 4 miles) swimming (can do 150 yards x4 slowly with a 1 minute break in between each) and exercise bike (just starting that part)... any recommendations on basic beginner OLY plans are appreciated! My goal is to finish...

Today's training: week 9 day 3 of a 5k to 10k training plan (3.7 miles in 40 minutes)
2015-01-28 10:00 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Actually if you go to the training plans tab (upper right of this page) and hit Oly distance you will find a plan or two that should be fine. Most folks forget that you have to do a recovery week every 4th week for those under 40 and every 3rd week for thsoe of us in the older than 40 catagory. Once you get the hang of how the plans are set up you can play with them a bit. I generally increase my long swim by 300 yards a week, my long bike by 5-10 miles a week and my long run by 1 mile per week.
2015-01-28 7:38 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
I normally do something similar to Baowolf. I take the training plan and increase the distances.

My training is going well. I am gaining speed back on the run and consistency in my swimming. I am still trying to work on bi-lateral breathing while swimming. Not working well right now, but I will get there especially once I get into open water.

2015-01-29 9:31 AM
in reply to: kmatt318

Hi All -

I recently started pre training with the swimming - am using the plan that Jay had posted earlier in this chain - it's exactly what I needed for starting to build a swimming base and just wanted to say thanks for it and mention again in case others find it useful:

http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html

Today's workout was week 2 of that 6 week plan:

WEEK two:
200 yards...rest for 12 breaths
4 x 100 yards...rest for 10 breaths between 100s
4 x 50 yards...rest for 6 breaths between 50s
4 x 25 yards...rest for 4 breaths between 25s
total: 900 yards

Also I started getting some pain from running - left foot, just on the inner edge/front of heel - feels like it's bruised when i wake up in the morning the day after a run then gets better during the day. Had it checked out and it is plantar fasciitis - doctor said to take anti inflammatories/do some PT/get some heel supports and just keep going if i can handle it (x-ray showed everything normal/no arch issues)... sound normal? I do feel I can handle it, it's not crippling, but don't want to damage anything...

Overall I am starting to feel physically really great and tight. Thanks!

Simon
(Training for first Tri - NYC OLY July 19)

2015-01-30 2:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I have a question on strength training people... anyone have any suggestions on a good routine?

I'm trying to find good workouts to work on the OPPOSITE muscles I use during my regular tri training. So, when biking, running or swimming I tend to use my quads, therefore I'm looking for good elasticity and strength training for my hamstrings, for example.

Anyone have any thoughts on that? What do people normally do for their strength training sessions?

An update on me, I've taken two days off running now preparing for a short run tomorrow followed by a long on Sunday. A long bike tomorrow followed by a short on Sunday too. My swimming progress is slow, but I think I'm making strides when I look back on how I am week-on-week. It's a long, arduous journey but it's worth it! I'm already feeling so much stronger. It's invigorating! :-)

sifisher - I looked at those training programs and they look good! I may even adopt them myself. Good job!

ceilidh - Well done on the 15k!

Edited by RookeyDavid 2015-01-30 2:14 PM
2015-01-30 3:31 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So for opposite swim muscles you move muscles for pecks, bench press, overhead press, barbells from hips straight arm up to shoulder at sides and then at front of body. For legs I like toe raises for strength then, leg curls toes up, heals up. You can throw in some hip flexor outside away from body (heal out) and inside body (toe out) with resistance bands. I like to throw in leg presses and lat pulldowns though they are not really opposite mucle movements.

Felt a little uphta in my run today 8:27 pace for 5 miles. Bike this evening.
2015-01-30 4:01 PM

User image

Awesome, thanks! I also just found this article which might help others in the same situation...

Strength training:
http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/mark-allen-s-12-best-stren...

Written by Mark Allen, multiple Iron Man world champ.

I can't wait for my bad days to be running 8.5minute miles :-)

Edited by RookeyDavid 2015-01-30 4:02 PM
2015-01-31 1:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by sifisher
Also I started getting some pain from running - left foot, just on the inner edge/front of heel - feels like it's bruised when i wake up in the morning the day after a run then gets better during the day. Had it checked out and it is plantar fasciitis - doctor said to take anti inflammatories/do some PT/get some heel supports and just keep going if i can handle it (x-ray showed everything normal/no arch issues)... sound normal? I do feel I can handle it, it's not crippling, but don't want to damage anything...

Overall I am starting to feel physically really great and tight. Thanks!

Simon
(Training for first Tri - NYC OLY July 19)

Simon, I had PF issues similar to you. I’ll tell you what I did in case they help. I’m convinced tho that everyone’s PF is different and therefore different things help different people. Please google things for PF.
1. Ice. Helped me some.
2. Compression socks. I think they helped me
3. The rope pull on the top of the foot like the Strausberg sock. Felt great but I don’t think it helped.
4. Marble pickups. This helped me more than anything. 50 or 60 per foot, 4 or 5 times a day.
5. Stretching the foot/calves on the tortoise shell thingy. Helped a lot. Have to do both up and down and hold.
6. Massage. Might have helped but horribly painful while occurring.
7. My MT used something like electric pulse therapy. I think it helped but wasn’t instrumental.
8. Taping the bottom of the foot. Helped tremendously – especially when running. Google for it but PM me if you want more instructions. Used to be here on BT but I can’t find the link now.

I had several PF flair ups in the latter portion of big builds. Of course I wasn’t going to skip the races so I suffered thru. But then I determined to take a month off of running and concentrate on stretches and the things mentioned above and find out what helped and what didn’t. #4, #5, and #8 were very helpful. The good news is that after 2 weeks of focusing on it, I was good to go and could run again. That doesn’t happen for everyone but I was lucky. Good luck to you.
2015-01-31 6:48 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Happy Saturday everyone!

gabrie85: Welcome! Sounds like you have had a great journey and it's continuing!

Steve: I've been to Ogallala believe it or not. Well, Lake McConaughy and got supplies in Ogallala. Are there any triathlons using that lake?
Love the bacon at BB - and I'm a vegetarian!
And yes, you can definitely start in a later wave for the BB, but you cannot move forward.

Dave: Yes, we must run or bike. Hope it stays warm! I'm going to guess you work at Trimble? (simply b/c I know it's near 108/wads and there are lots of Brits working there)

Jimmy: the damn trainer. It's a love/hate thing I just got off of my trainer.

Simon: Wow, sounds like a serious accident! Glad you are ok and no residual. Hang in there with the PF

Steve: HTFU!!! LOL

Robin: nice work with the 15K! what's next?

Ken: learning bilat breathing is a great thing to do. stick with it. But also know that it's ok if you don't use it during a race!

Pam: darn girl, you sure are an expert on PF! The marble thing...do you pick those up by curling your toes under?

Just got off the bike (trainer). 1:50. I watched a movie - Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead - about a guy who juice fasted for 60 days. It was interesting!

2015-01-31 9:35 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
My understanding is that PF is the irritation of the tendon sheath. If that is the case you want to decrease the swelling, increase the blood flow and maintain movement.

Our tradition is to Post our numbers for the month and it does not matter if they are good or bad, just something to look at to help monitor progress. So here are my January numbers:

Swim: 12h 34m - 24500 Yd

Bike: 30h 17m 15s - 552 Mi

Run: 17h 34m 02s - 115.14 Mi

Weight loss: 8 pounds.

The marble thing is just moving the tendon back and forth through the sheath without pressure on the soft tissue which increases mobility and blood flow without increasing inflammation = good. Ice decreases swelling, heat increases blood flow. So all those things are good.

One way to look at fitness is the pacing of your long run, here is mine for today:
10:12, 9:08, 9:05, 8:55, 8:58, 9:07, 9:32 (issue with dogs), 9:21, 9:24, 9:24, 9:19, 9:09, 8:46, 8:19. So even though the pace isn't blinding, it was steady without a huge dropoff at the end. When I am out of shape for the long run my last 2-3 miles get a lot slower like 1-2 minutes per mile slower. So this was a good run at a 9:15 pace overall (first mile is always slow warmup). I did have to focus to bring up the pacing on the last 3-4 miles, but that is different from tanking out to an 11:00 mpm pace or slower.

Edited by Baowolf 2015-02-01 3:55 PM
2015-02-01 6:20 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Awesome totals, Steve!

Cathy, yes it's curling the toes under to pick up the marbles. To me, it seems like the exact oppo of what my foot wanted but it made a difference for me.

January totals.
Run: 22h 51m - 117.4 Mi
Core Training: 6h 40m
Race Volunteering: 34h 30m
Stair Running: 26m
Yoga: 3h 00m
2015-02-01 4:19 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
About to read and try to catch up a bit with this group, which appears to be going great. January totals. Running is mostly walking as I'm training to walk the Cowtown HM with hubby (his first).

Bike: 46m 50s - 10.77 Mi

Run: 19h 31m 13s - 72.32 Mi

Elliptical Training: 33m

Yoga: 1h 05m

All this talk of bilateral breathing is making me want to get back to swimming. I favor left side breathing, but really found that after forcing myself to practice, bilateral started to feel natural.

As for PF, I had a round with that last year (the third in a string of running issues that led me to hanging up my running shoes for a while). Finally did find relief with a chiropractor who did Active Release Therapy and some very basic stretching. ART has also helped me in the past with IT band issues.

Edited by squirt 2015-02-01 4:30 PM
2015-02-01 6:58 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Champion
Bronze member

6300 yd swim

75 mi bike

33 mi run and

3.57 hrs strength.

January sucked! I think I have seen the back side of the flu so hopefully Feb will be better.

My new bumpersticker: Screw the Flu!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.