BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2014-12-17 1:03 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)
GROUP FOCUS: (Triathlon any distance, run any distance)

NAME: Baowolf / Steve

STORY: I was new to all three sports in 2007, hit that 40 something, overweight needed something to challenge myself and found BT. I picked up a beginner plan and did my first sprint several months later.. then an Oly, HIM, IM, marathons including Boston. I have had some bumps along the way with 2 bike crashes, broken collar bone, a couple pulled calf muscles and a knee operation 2 years ago. I have lead 6 mentor groups or so and though I an not a coach I am happy to share my experience from the past 7 ish years of going from no base to 5 IMs 4 HIMs and 3 Marathons etc. All distances / abilities welcome but as you can see I tend to go long. My best IM is 11:40:xx, HIM 5:30:xx, Mary 3:19:xx and 3 miler 17:58. Don't ask about swim.

FAMILY STATUS: I am happily married 25 years, have 5 children, 1 lazy dog, cat, and 50 deer.

CURRENT TRAINING: I generally run 4-5x, bike 4x, swim 3 x per week and usually train for longer events HIM/IM or HM marathon. I will hit some shorter races for fun. I have trained by HR, cadence, power, etc.. I usually design my own training plans because I know what I need, but am currently following a BT plan for 2 IMs this season IMTX and IM Boulder.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2015): IMTX and IM Boulder and maybe some shorter stuff for fun depending on how I am feeling.

2014 RACES:IM CDA and Lake Tahoe got cancelled while we were standing on the beach.......(also some 3 mile runs, 100km ride, etc)

I had knee surgery in 2013 so only did IM Lake Tahoe, although anyone who did IMLT will tell you that "only" does not belong in the same sentence as IMLT, it s a butt kicker for sure.

WEIGHTLOSS: I like to race IM's around 145, but tend to put some pounds on during the offseason. Unfortunately I did put on quite a few pounds when I took 6 weeks off, so lets say I want to drop that 25 pounds again, sigh.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have been a mentor 3+l years and try to check the group daily, but at least 4x a week. I have raced just about every distance Tri/run including some trail runs (not 50k or 100k yet). My philosophy is to build a base before working speed, to find balance in training and in your life and to view Triathlon as a lifestyle and not as a race that is coming up in 4 months. I try to communicate these ideas in a helpful way, but if your long run is 3 miles and you want to do a marathon in a week I will tell you that it is not wise to attempt that race as you don't have sufficient base for it. My goal is to train injury free to the extent possible through smart training. This is not one of those heck ya anyone can do an IM off the couch in 2 weeks kind of group. I want my members to go into races prepared, get a PR or at least finish with a smile on your face. If you are a short distance person (sprints 5ks) this group is fine, but just know we will have folks doing IM's in here and you need to not compare your training to theirs it is a completely different training model. All distances are welcome though. All previous members of my groups are welcome even if they miss the sign up cuttoff and it. I like members to post once a week and if you sign up try to keep with it for at least 6 weeks before deciding to stop. It is ok if you want to check in less frequently, just let the group know what your availability is so we don't worry.

2014-12-29 10:46 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN)

Fellow Trainees

Carlo Here!!!!

im back

Will post later

Cheers!!!
2014-12-30 9:19 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
I'm in . Bio later. Carlo, good to see you. This is your IM year, right?
2014-12-30 10:43 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
NAME: Squirt/Carol

STORY: I’m 48 years old, lived in TX all my life. I love being active and outdoors. I played h/s and college volleyball in my younger years, but was never much into endurance type activities. Started running around 2005, then really went all in on running and tri’s in the 2011-2013 timeframe and had a great time with it. Learned to swim as part of this, and very glad for that now. Topped out distance wise at OLY tri’s, and then focused more on my favorite – running. Faster and faster for me HM’s led me to try a couple of full marathons. The last one in 2013 resulted in stress fracture, piriformis syndrome, and plantar fasciitis. Determined that long distances are just not for me. Have been hesitant to do much running at all since I don’t like spending more time with chiropractors/physical therapists, etc. than outside. Backed off….as in way off. Would like for 2015 to be a year of finding a good balance with training, losing the weight I’ve picked up, and perhaps doing a few races. I also have Type 1 diabetes (the kind the little kids get) so I’m a lifer on insulin. This does impact how I train and live but is workable and encourages me to do what I can to live a healthy life.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my best friend and hubby for 26 years, 3 dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly walking and yoga at the moment.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2015): 3/1/15 - Cowtown half marathon (walking it with hubby…his 1st HM), 2 sprint tri’s TBD, 2 bike rallys TBD

2014 RACES: None. 2011-2013 RACES: Lots and lots of them – sprint tri’s, OLY’s, HM’s, Full Mary’s, 10K’s, Bike Rallies, etc. Total of 46 races since 2006.

WEIGHTLOSS: Yes, please! I have picked up 25+ lbs since early 2013. Hint: if you stop running/training much and keep eating like you are, this is what happens.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I like cheering others on and thoroughly enjoy learning from our mentor and the people in this group.
2014-12-30 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Happy New Year....almost! I'd like to join. Will post BIO later this afternoon.
2014-12-30 3:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I'd like the opportunity to be a part of this group. About me:

Steve, age 45, married for 5 years, no children, more dogs than I care to admit.

I got into triathlons about 4 years ago. I started running for weight and just progressed to triathlons. I was part of a mentor group 2 years ago and learned a lot! I completed Ironman Boulder 70.3 that August and would have struggled more than I did had it not been for the advice and tips I learned in the group, as well as some training tips to make the day less hard. I took last year off of training to take care of family matters and decided this year is the year I was going to give a long course a shot. I am registered for the HITS full in December 2015.

Besides the long course, I have quite a few running events my wife and I are already signed up for. She had a partial knee replacement and is now back to where she feels she can train and is looking forward to this year. We have about 6 half marathons, Bolder Boulder, and a smattering of other shorter races. I am also doing a downhill marathon in July, followed by 7 marathons in 7 states in 7 days in August. I have a run coach (who says I am causing him to pull his hair out with my race schedule) but need the help on the bike and most importantly the swim. Currently I'm running 4-5x per week, and starting a bike schedule of 4x per week. Swimming hasn't started yet but will be January 2.

Taking a year off of training did not help my weight loss and I am about in serious need of slimming down this winter to begin the build for the full distance. That and get started swimming again. I have done exactly 1500 meters of swimming since coming out of the water at IM Boulder, which coincidentally was an Olympic triathlon this last summer that I did with a friend. It wasn't pretty either.

Thanks,

Steve

2014-12-30 11:29 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yay we are live. Everyone is welcome no need to ask. I will be back in town totype more after Sunday. 20mile bike, 6.5 mile run today in a lovely 65F today.
2014-12-31 1:53 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pearland,Tx
Carlo Here!!

Married 8 Years and God's greatest gift to me I have a Special Needs Son.

2nd year with the group and help me finish my 1st Mary and 2 HIMs , 3 Total.

First IM this 2015, IMTX been training all of 2014 and still going.

Yes Carol im doing it with steve IMTX 2nd week of May 2015

Looking Forward to Training with ya all.

2014-12-31 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Here is a little blurb about me...

I'm married to a runner and I'm a daddy to 4 children (12, 9, 9, 9). I got into tris in 2011 after doing a few 5Ks here and there. I hated the shorter distances at first because I didn't want to stay red lined the whole race. I guess I like to be cooked long and slow. So, I did IM Augusta in 2012. Thought it was "fun" and signed up for another HIM in 2013 and did IMFL 2013. Training for an IM was great because I have an awesome wife who knows the importance of sticking to the plan. The support was there and she never complained. She joined me on the long runs. I did about 85% of my bike training on a trainer. I didn't have that big guilt from being away from the family on long ride days. I took 2014 off from racing because I wanted to give back to the family. Only thing I did was a 3 mile bridge swim... which really came out to be 3.6 miles.

Swimming is my strongest, then biking, then running. I have tons of improvement in all three areas; however, I'm focusing more on running. I just established my Tpace, FTP & LTHR for the start of 2015. I'm racing a HIM in May so I've been doing nothing but base training (11-17 hours a week). I'm weird, I love the trainer and treadmill.

Kicking off the New Year by swimming 100x100 with some other crazy friends.
2014-12-31 4:55 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Would love to join in!

NAME: COgirl/Cathy

STORY: I've been on BT for 10 years. Started with a sprint in '04, got hooked and did a very slow HIM by the end of that season. I raced regularly through 2009. Did IMCdA in 2008. Was working on a PhD which made me leave triathlon for a while, then decided I really did not want a PhD. Got out of training until last year. I've been very inconsistent, but GAME ON now. I plan to do a HIM in 2015 and back to IM training for 2016. HIM is my favorite distance. I've got plenty of endurance, but not so much speed. Love biking and running, not so much with swimming. This is my comeback year

FAMILY: married, 2 kids - 12 & 8

CURRENT TRAINING: just starting to get consistent again. S/B/R 2x per week each right now. Need to rebuild a base

2015 RACES: Summer Open Sprint 5/2015, Legend 70 (which is the old Kansas 70.3) 6/015, Boulder Peak Oly 7/2015. Plus a few half marathons and a Ragnar race in September.

2014 RACES: 2 sprints and Ragnar Napa. Not my best performance due to lack of training.

WT LOSS: NECESSARY. I'm about 25 lbs over what I want to be but have started working on it.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

2015-01-01 10:02 AM
in reply to: #5075206

I would love to join this group

NAME: Amy Celeste

STORY: The longest span of time I've ever worked out is 3x per week for a month and a half to prepare to participate in The Dirty Dash. I learned that my motivation is much more active with a specific goal and a Deadline.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, 22, no children, 2 cats

CURRENT TRAINING: Joining the thousands of Americans in starting a new training program for the new year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2015): My first race will be April 11th 2015 SHAC Beginner Triathlon. From there I haven't made a plan yet.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'd like to be healthy, and don't really know what my goal weight is. I know that I'll need to loose at least 30 lbs to be healthy.

2015-01-01 11:08 AM
in reply to: MissAmy242

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hello to all, and happy new year!

Looks like a great mix so far in the group.

Amy, you are in the right place! Exciting to be at the beginning of your journey. That 4/11 tri sounds like a good goal. Steve and others in this group will be glad to provide advice and encouragement on your journey. Do you have a bike yet or will you be borrowing one?

Cathy, nice to see that you are planning a comeback for this year! I see you live in Broomfield. My previous boss lives there, married, two kids, and his wife's name is Cathy (though may be spelled with a K). You are not by chance married to someone named Pat are you?

GUAG, perfect....someone who likes trainer, treadmill and swimming. Our mentor, Steve, also has a rather large family, so I'm sure you can swap kid juggling stories.

Carlo, good to see you and glad you and Steve are doing IMTX together!

Steve, I first read your run goal as 7 marathons in 7 states in 7 months and thought that was a bit crazy. Then I realized it said in 7 days. Speechless! Do you actually have a fly fishing shop?

Steve (mentor), hope you are enjoying your vacation time! Looks like a good group is forming.

OK, so how cliché is it that I bought an elliptical today? Not really a resolution, just would like to have an indoor option besides the trainer. Bought a very lightly used one on Craigslist....only $75, nice and smooth, plenty of resistance and programming options.
2015-01-01 1:50 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Carol, nope, my husband's name is Erik. Small world though! Broomfield isn't huge.

Amy - I'm hoping that tri in April is somewhere warm???

Wait, what??? who is doing 7 marathons in 7 days?!?!! sounds awesome! I'm confused already with 2 Steves LOL.

Happy New Year's to you all! 2015 is OUR year!!
2015-01-01 2:48 PM

User image

New user

Wisconsin
I would like to join this group.

I have been power walking for over 7 years. Have 6 1/2 marathons under my belt. A year ago I had a knee replacement and now would like to get the bucket list going again. I was a swimmer in high school and my husband just bought me a new trek this fall. I have it up on a trainer now for the winter. I am truly a tri beginner now and need to slowly work myself back up but would love the help and extra motivation. I am hoping to lose the 35 lbs that found me last year.

Jean
2015-01-01 3:30 PM
in reply to: JENO

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Hello all, I am back as well. Ready to get back into IM shape.

Will post bio later.
2015-01-01 3:49 PM
in reply to: kmatt318

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
NAME: kmatt318/Ken

STORY: Hello! I am a 45 year old inside sales rep for a large cable company in North Carolina. After flaming out at IM Louisville in 2013 during the swim, I decided to take some time off. My goal this year is go back to Louisville and complete an Ironman. I plan to make this happen by continuing to open water swim.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 15 years. My children are all out of the house and my wife is retired and staying at home with our grandchildren (Devon and Marion).

CURRENT TRAINING: Since this I have been on the shelf for over 14 months, I am concentrating on rebuilding my base. I am planning a half marathon in March and possibly another one in April. Swimming is still a major issue but I am looking forward to open water swims this spring, early summer. I am going to aggressively swim and look forward to making that an afterthought.

2015 RACES: I am signed up for Ironman Raleigh 70.3 and a full Ironman races (Ironman Louisville), Will be competing in White Lake International and also several sprints.

2015-01-01 10:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hi all!

I'm back! Welcome to all the new folks, esp. Jean. Congrats on your new journey. I was fortunate to be with this group for a while before dropping away maybe 7 months ago?

Background -
Like many here was a teenage athlete, got fat and out of shape for years. Always loved weightlifting and stuck with that. Have found endurance work hard and I'm slow but wanted to get in shape and love the suffering. Did a sprint back 2008 when I was 48 and dreamed of an IM at 50. Dragged myself over the finish line of another sprint this summer.

Not a good swimmer, I'm beginning to feel like a runner. Love biking but have a hard time getting any distance in as I live in a really hilly area and it kicks my a$$. I feel really committed to kicking up my tri performance this year. My kids have watched me struggle, and I'd like them to see me trim, healthy and strong.

Married with supportive husband and two teenagers.

Races -
I wanted to do a local (flat) HIM near me but it sold out - probably for the best. I plan on a sprint in July and my first oly in August.

Weight Loss -
Spent the last few months totally committed to losing weight and after cutting out carbs I'm down 30 lbs taking me from a women's extra large to a medium. Knocked 2 mins. off my mile, it feels like a different sport. Struggling with adding back some complex carbs (some fruit and beans) and not bringing back my cravings and less than controlled eating habits. Found my running really improved when I added some carbs before a run so will have to work on getting my fueling figured out.

Got a trainer for the holidays, bike is set up on it. Have a pretty nice gym in the family room and lots of exercise tapes. Am staying away from heavy weights as I want to get lighter and leaner. Plan on focusing on exercise, including getting more comfortable on my bike with indoor trainer and starting the walk/jog to eventually getting back up to running on a treadmill. Want to be in killer shape with I start my training plan April 1.

Looking forward to following everyone here, even when I'm not responding to each person I'm reading your posts.

Mitzi

Edited by MuscleMomma 2015-01-01 10:34 PM
2015-01-02 12:21 AM

User image

Chicago
I would like to join your group. If you accept me I will post my bio later.

Thanks,
2015-01-02 8:40 AM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey all.

I would love to join this group if you will have me. I have been rattling aroung BT for about 6 years now. I have done several sprints and olys and am attempting my first HIM this March.... if illness doesn't completely wreck my training plans.

I'll post my complete bio if you all will have me.

2015-01-02 10:33 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
I'm in again. Bio below. Looking forward to getting to know everyone. Hi Robin!

NAME: Pink Sock/Pam

STORY: I’m 52 years old and was completely out of shape for my adult life. At 47, situations conspired so that I decided to {gulp} do a half marathon in memory of someone; I felt I had a better shot of shuttling to the moon then doing a race. I started walking, got impatient and started running, blew my knees out, recovered, and began training again reasonably. Finished the HM and was hooked. Now I have completed multiple HMs, marathons, and some ultras.

Did a couple of tris in 2012/2013 but don’t know if I will continue with them. I’m still tossing it around. I’ve got a halfbaked idea to maybe do a RNR duathlon which would force me to work on my total weakness – biking. But I’m not sure. Running is my happy. I’ve also lately become a “mutt” for other types of things – my mini core routines, yoga, stair intervals at work, and other fitness things. And I’ve seriously got to get back to my mini strength sessions (nothing compared to what lifters do but needed for bone health). So all of that being said, I’m not sure how much time I will put into biking when I have other things that I want to do. But still…..

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my precious husband, another BT’er (KWDreamun), for 20 years. One son, 16 y.o., who is driving, working his first job, and playing baseball.

CURRENT TRAINING: Running, yoga, core, stairs. Just did part of the Brazilian Butt Lift and couldn’t walk for 3 days.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2015): Crewing for a friend this weekend for her first 48 hour race! Tallahassee Marathon Feb 8. Organizing a Walk/Run group at church with a 10K target race in late March. And sometime this year Tally is going to have its first 8-hour race and I plan to do it. Hubby and I both plan to do Soldier Marathon again in Nov.

2014 RACES: Two marathons, three HMs, 1 ultra, various 5K and 10K races. Because of Steve’s mentoring, I completely changed my training style and PR’ed in all of those distances.

WEIGHTLOSS: For most of my life, I didn’t have weight issues. Gained weight after my son was born and then went on a hard drive to lose it 10 years ago. Managed to lose it (miserable time) and pretty much kept most of it off – especially when I started running. Lately tho, I’ve been over indulging and am now am carrying an inner tube around my tummy.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love the camaraderie of a group and love that we all have different strength, weakness, goals, and experience. I learn so much from everyone’s input. I also love it because since I’ve been bailing on doing the actual tris myself, I can live vicariously thru others and can stalk them at their races. And I love Steve’s mentoring because he is careful and cautious but also encourages us to be better – mostly by his example. His knowledge is astounding!
2015-01-02 1:13 PM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
gdelamora and ceilidh, I think you are fine to join - Baowolf said above, "Everyone is welcome no need to ask."

Happy Friday all!

2015-01-02 3:09 PM
in reply to: COgirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Pam - I didn't know you did ultra's. Very exciting - don't know why I find that so intriguing ...

2015-01-02 5:11 PM
in reply to: #5075206

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Merry late Christmas to me. Just received a Garmin 920XT. Yippee.
2015-01-02 5:18 PM
in reply to: COgirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
The 7/7/7 is part of the Mainly Marathon series. They basically find a group of states all within a short drive and set up a series of marathons and half marathons. My wife and I had signed up to do the midwest states a couple years ago but she had to have knee surgery. She called the race director and he said no problem - he'd just hold our registration until we are ready to sign up again. Her sister wants to do the 50 states and wanted us to join her. The one we are doing is the north east series, Maine to New York. They are doing the half, I'm doing the full marathons. It sounded like a great challenge. The marathon I'm more worried about is the Revel Rockies, which is a downhill marathon. It starts around 10,500 feet of elevation and runs down to Denver at around 5,400 feet. It averages something like a 1.6% grade. I've been told I will be sore for a couple of days after that one. I've never ran a downhill race before either. Then 2 weeks later we are doing a half marathon in Estes Park with some friends. I'm not sure how we got sucked into that but it sounded like a great idea at the time.

Unfortunately I do not have a fly shop. I used to do a lot of fly fishing and tied flies one winter. I went with a group of friends to Yellowstone and they were commenting that I had more flies in my vest than the fly shop. It just stuck.
2015-01-02 5:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by MuscleMomma

Pam - I didn't know you did ultra's. Very exciting - don't know why I find that so intriguing ...

Don't be overly impressed. My 3 ultras probably aren't like you are thinking. All were paved, flat, and looped courses. Weather was stunning each time. They were all a tremendous amount of fun tho. If you are ever interested, ask away. Ultra people are so nice and unpretentious. I like them because it's not about speed but going the distance and enjoying the ride.

Originally posted by stevesflyshop

The 7/7/7 is part of the Mainly Marathon series. They basically find a group of states all within a short drive and set up a series of marathons and half marathons. My wife and I had signed up to do the midwest states a couple years ago but she had to have knee surgery. She called the race director and he said no problem - he'd just hold our registration until we are ready to sign up again. Her sister wants to do the 50 states and wanted us to join her. The one we are doing is the north east series, Maine to New York. They are doing the half, I'm doing the full marathons. It sounded like a great challenge. The marathon I'm more worried about is the Revel Rockies, which is a downhill marathon. It starts around 10,500 feet of elevation and runs down to Denver at around 5,400 feet. It averages something like a 1.6% grade. I've been told I will be sore for a couple of days after that one. I've never ran a downhill race before either. Then 2 weeks later we are doing a half marathon in Estes Park with some friends. I'm not sure how we got sucked into that but it sounded like a great idea at the time.

Unfortunately I do not have a fly shop. I used to do a lot of fly fishing and tied flies one winter. I went with a group of friends to Yellowstone and they were commenting that I had more flies in my vest than the fly shop. It just stuck.

Steve, you are going to be fun. I've got friends that are 50 staters and one of my friends may be doing that series with you. I'll talk to her this weekend and find out. And I worked at Yellowstone a 100 years ago when I was in college. First time I saw fly fishing and I thought it was amazing. Looks so calm and relaxing but I bet it's really, really tough work.

Matt, so glad to see you back!!!!!

Gosh, we have a great group here. I'm so excited! Sorry I haven't welcomed each of you individually but have read everyone's posts and you all sound wonderful. Ok, got to finish packing for my weekend of crewing. I've never done this before. Terribly exciting and also scared. I don't want to screw up.

Edited by Pink Socks 2015-01-02 5:49 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf

Started by Baowolf
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2014-05-17 11:46 PM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.