BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2015-05-12 1:21 PM
in reply to: #5075376

Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)
Hello! If it's not too late to join, I'd love to do a mentor group this year. I just had a baby a month ago, so my season just started and I've been out of the loop.

NAME: Maura White
STORY: Like a few of you, I was a competitive swimmer growing up. I didn't continue in college, and really didn't work out during my 20s. I'd run for a few weeks periodically, and joined a gym once but only went a few times. I didn't own a car for most of those years, so I walked or biked frequently for transportation, which kept me from getting too out of shape.

I started running again in 2013, and stuck with it. I did a 5K and a 5 mile that year, and really enjoyed racing. We moved cross-country for my job after I finished grad school, and I'm one of those people who likes to be busy all the time. I started thinking about triathlon given my swimming background, but didn't own a bike. I decided to commit, so I spent a decent amount on a used road bike, and signed up for a super sprint. I did 3 races last summer, and loved it. I won my (small local) age group twice, and qualified for nationals but didn't go. Then I got pregnant again, and I dropped out of the Olympic I had planned for late September.

My goal is to to train and race mostly for fun this year with a newborn. I'll put in the hours that baby and work allow, and I'm going to try to be less competitive than I usually am. I know I'll need the me-time that training provides for my mental health, plus I want to get back in shape after a long winter of killer pregnancy fatigue.

FAMILY: I'll have been married 10 years in August, and we have two boys - 3.5 and 4 weeks

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm going to write out a plan for myself after I look through the nearby races for the summer, probably loosely based on one of the Olympic plans on the site, but I'll try to get in 3 runs, 2 bikes, and 2 swims a week. I worked out once a week last summer with the local tri team, and I'd like to go back when I get a little more in shape.

2014:
Super sprint at local Y
KPC Sprint Tri
Fox Island Sprint

2015:
Winona Lake Optimist Sprint 6/27
KPC Sprint July
TBA

WEIGHT LOSS: I have 13 lb of baby weight to lose, but that's not my primary goal. I'd just like to regain my fitness.

GOOD MENTEE: I'm really driven, and I will put the hours in. Between the baby and my call schedule at work I won't get every workout in on the scheduled day, but I often double up on days I'm out early to make up for it. I'm looking forward to getting back out there, and learning more about the sport!

2015-05-18 6:04 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Curtis: Holy smokes thats fast! Congrats on the PB! Is your move disrupting your training or are you able to keep hitting your workouts?

Kevin, I can't really offer you any advice, just my gut feeling. I'd say skip the second restweek like you propose. I don't really plan restweeks myself. I just train and when I'm tired, I train a little less. So far it has worked out great. For my B races I don't taper but the weekend will not have the long workouts so then my hours are down already, it works out as a restweek of sorts With personal things like this coming up, you have your rest like that, and can actually enjoy it.

I did a sprint tri 9 May, in some very very windy weather. The swim was quite good (for me), the bike even better, but on the run I got some side stitches... Really sucked because I was in 11th place after the bike (didn't know that at the time but saw it in the results) and in training I have been able to smash the run after a hard bike. Now I lost over 4 minutes causing me to fall back to 25th... Not sure what went wrong, it felt like a stitch you get when you eat too soon before a workout except I didn't eat so much before and only drank a couple sips of Powerbar drink during. It was a late start (6PM!), perhaps that doesn't suit me. I enclosed some pics of the race, it was my first time in a tri suit, I really liked it.

(bosbaan fietsen.jpg)

(bosbaan fietsen 2.jpg)

(bosbaan lopen.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bosbaan fietsen.jpg (59KB - 28 downloads)
bosbaan fietsen 2.jpg (71KB - 21 downloads)
bosbaan lopen.jpg (97KB - 28 downloads)
2015-05-18 4:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Snaaijer Curtis: Holy smokes thats fast! Congrats on the PB! Is your move disrupting your training or are you able to keep hitting your workouts? Kevin, I can't really offer you any advice, just my gut feeling. I'd say skip the second restweek like you propose. I don't really plan restweeks myself. I just train and when I'm tired, I train a little less. So far it has worked out great. For my B races I don't taper but the weekend will not have the long workouts so then my hours are down already, it works out as a restweek of sorts ;) With personal things like this coming up, you have your rest like that, and can actually enjoy it. I did a sprint tri 9 May, in some very very windy weather. The swim was quite good (for me), the bike even better, but on the run I got some side stitches... Really sucked because I was in 11th place after the bike (didn't know that at the time but saw it in the results) and in training I have been able to smash the run after a hard bike. Now I lost over 4 minutes causing me to fall back to 25th... Not sure what went wrong, it felt like a stitch you get when you eat too soon before a workout except I didn't eat so much before and only drank a couple sips of Powerbar drink during. It was a late start (6PM!), perhaps that doesn't suit me. I enclosed some pics of the race, it was my first time in a tri suit, I really liked it.

Yes...the move is disrupting training.  I am moving to small town and the only gym with a pool I have been able to find only has a 15 yard pool.  They said that I can swim laps any time they don't have classes, but they have water arobic classes 5 days a week during the hours I would need to be in the pool before work and three days a week during the hours I would need to be in the pool during my lunch break.  I also am worried that I won't find roads I can cycle or run on.  I have a goal to do the Redman 70.3 Triathlon in Oklahoma City in 20 weeks. I know that lots of my training type is going to turn into working on projects for the move, but home that things will all work out.  

Thanks for the photos.  Here are a few more from my race three weeks ago.   All photo are credited to my friend Scott.   

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-05-18 4:44 PM
2015-05-19 3:21 AM

User image

Tallinn, Estonia
Have a question about the last four weeks before the race, doing the full one but feeling kind of under the weather. Training is getting hard and losing my motivation, so what I´m looking for is how much should I push myself, if it´s really starting to get unpleasant. So far I´ve been following this program - http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2013/05/six-months-t... with slight changes.
I could coupe with it but am not really sure if it might come around and kick me in the back on the long run, it really started to go downhill last week but was hoping it to get better - no change. So maybe a few sleep in days and take it a bit easier and listen to my body OR just push trough the rough stuff and just stick to the plan !?
EDIT- what I wanted to add is that at the moment I´m working as a car detailer, which means I´m on feet and basically walking around cars with a rag and a hose 8h every day, so can that have any impact , though it´s really next to no intensity ?

Edited by Andrep 2015-05-19 3:33 AM
2015-05-19 9:46 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Andrep Have a question about the last four weeks before the race, doing the full one but feeling kind of under the weather. Training is getting hard and losing my motivation, so what I´m looking for is how much should I push myself, if it´s really starting to get unpleasant....So maybe a few sleep in days and take it a bit easier and listen to my body OR just push trough the rough stuff and just stick to the plan !?  

Though call...hopefully other with chime in on this, but for me four weeks out is when I want to be training my hardest.  Sometime I feel really overworked during these training week, but I usually have a rest week or the start of a taper following them so I just push through them and tell my self I can either hurt now in training or hurt later during the race.  

A taper for a full Iron race is typically 3-4 weeks long.  Some may do as little as a 10 day taper if they do a flat volume training plan rather than training cycles that increase volume followed by rest weeks.  It looks like your plan outlines about 2-1/2 hours swimming, 8 hours cycling, and 3-1/2 hours running at one month out for a total of 14 hours.  I didn't look at the entire plan, but it looks like the highest volume weeks is about 18 hours.  A good 4 week taper would look something like 14 hours @ 4 weeks, 10 hours @ 3 weeks, 6 hours @ 2 weeks, 3 hours @ the week of the race.  

They say that you really only need to cut the cycling and running volumes at the beginning of the taper and that the swimming volume can stay where it is right up to about the week of the race.

Yes...if you follow a taper like I listed above you will have plenty of sleep in days.  In steady of getting up for a 2-1/2 hour work out you can sleep in an hour and do a 1-1/2 hour work out.  :-)

P.S. As far as work goes, when I have trained in groups the guys that are on their feet 8 hours a day at work typically were less stressed by increases in volume than the guys that were sitting behind a desk for 8 hours at work.  It seemed to come down the the training as to how people in the group would race though.  If being on your feet helps you get through training the time on you feet is helping you.  If it is slowing your training down then you might need to get in more rest so that you can keep your intensity up during training.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-05-19 9:54 AM
2015-05-20 7:29 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Tallinn, Estonia
Thanks a lot, it really seems to be the lack of sleep I had during the last week, I was either way plaaning to stick to someting around the hours you reccomended, not do 14h till race week. Because jeah, my hardest was two moths into the race and for four weeks, so I got that out of the way and even did the bike course on my own and ran off the bike, since everything felt good I pushed my pace way up for the 5K run and I finished it in 22 minutes and still felt good. So hopefully base is strong and just needed some extra sleep and continue with the training from tomorrow and try to tone it down week by week !

2015-05-28 9:31 AM

User image

Hi Jim, are you open for mentor. I am 50 year old and have been doing tri's for 3 years. I have done them fast and slow. My weight is a yo-yo ever since after IMAZ 2013. I have done approximately 6 halfs (just finished Stg UT 70.3...ouch-just made the cut off time...but I finished!), sprints and Olympics.

I am signed up for IMAZ 70.3 and started the workout plan. I printed out the month of June and I will repeat next week to get on track. My goal is PR. - 6:51:53

I had questions about the swim training plan. I am a slow swimmer. My time for swim in UT with wet suit was 54 min. When the plan is 40m for a 2500yd swim I can't complete the 2500yds in that time frame. Should I keep swimming to meet the 2500yds?

What does Build and Cd mean in the plan? And when it calls for last 50 yrds kick does that mean just kick and not freestyle?

Tracy

Edited by Estrella 2015-05-28 9:32 AM
2015-06-01 10:26 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Estrella Hi Jim, are you open for mentor. I am 50 year old and have been doing tri's for 3 years. I have done them fast and slow. My weight is a yo-yo ever since after IMAZ 2013. I have done approximately 6 halfs (just finished Stg UT 70.3...ouch-just made the cut off time...but I finished!), sprints and Olympics. I am signed up for IMAZ 70.3 and started the workout plan. I printed out the month of June and I will repeat next week to get on track. My goal is PR. - 6:51:53 I had questions about the swim training plan. I am a slow swimmer. My time for swim in UT with wet suit was 54 min. When the plan is 40m for a 2500yd swim I can't complete the 2500yds in that time frame. Should I keep swimming to meet the 2500yds? What does Build and Cd mean in the plan? And when it calls for last 50 yrds kick does that mean just kick and not freestyle? Tracy

cD = Cool down

Build = ???,  Just taking a guess, but I think this would mean to start out slow and slowly increase so that you finish fast.

On the swim times, middle of the pack in a race with a 1.2 mile swim is about 35-40 minutes.  The times listed are estimated work out times to help you plan how much time it might take to complete the work out (i.e. if a pool is going to close for an aqua class, or open lap swimming time is limited, you need to know how long the plan for).  If you are a 54 minute swimmer rather than a 35 minute swimmer the work out may take you 70 minutes to complete.  A 26 minute 1.2 miles swimmer may complete the work out in 30 minutes.   Just focus on the distances since that is what is the same regardless of skill level. 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-06-01 10:27 AM
2015-06-03 5:58 AM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Hey Maura and Tracy, welcome to the group although it is not as active as it was at the start unfortunately.

I had my first half iron distance triathlon last weekend. I wrote a small race report for those interested: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Very short summary: for a debut it went well, biking strong as always, swimming medium, run parts good parts bad

Conditions were not easy with wind and some rain. There's a little video summary here about the race for those interested in getting an impression about the race, the commentary is in Dutch unfortunately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH2D5jPlodA#t=13m20s

Edited by Snaaijer 2015-06-03 6:01 AM
2015-06-05 9:09 AM
in reply to: Snaaijer

User image

Cypress, Texas

Nice video.  The Dutch is fine.  It gives a better feel for the culture.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 19

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46008 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166

Started by Qua17
Views: 84215 Posts: 4130

2015-12-31 9:16 PM bgreen6252

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54017 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31