BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2015-01-08 8:44 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)
I know a lot of people that use clip ons on their road bike! It is a cheap option that will make you TONS more comfortable if you are doing longer races and save your legs. I have a tri bike and I train about 95% of the time, at least, in aero and I can do a whole HIM aero and come off the bike totally comfortable for the run. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. I would recommend training this winter in them and get you legs used to them as they do use slightly different muscles.

2015-01-08 8:59 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

Back to work this week after having a few weeks off....slammed.  It should settle a bit but I struggle with the juggle.  Working from home there is always something to do...but I don't want to be a worker bee. I could take short cuts like some of my co-workers, but as an educator I don't believe my students deserve shortcuts!!

Anyway, will keep working on finding my groove and best schedule.  KUDOS to you early morning peeps....I used to swim early but can't due to kids....early morning running messes me up (though I may try to ease in to it again)...I can bike early and that will soon have to be a priority.  

2015-01-09 3:49 AM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Ditto on the clip ons. I only have a roadbike and use them, especially after the winter base miles. I found my shoulders needed to get used to it but overall a big difference both in comfort and speed. Will make you at least 1 mph faster, so long as you are not restricting your ability to generate power in the lower position.

I had a short pool session yesterday because the open hours at the uni pool are sometimes only 45 mins. Did a warmup and then a 100-200-300-400-300-200-100m ladder. It went really well and I think it will be my go to training when I only have 45 mins to swim. Interestingly I did 4x400 on monday, and when you add the pyramid meters up they both come to 1600 total, but the splits in the pyramid were quite a bit faster. For both I used 10s of rest per 100m so 10s for 100 and 40s for 400 etc. Even my 400m in the pyramid was faster than the fastest 400 in the 4x400...I guess it might be partly psychological and partly that although the sum of the rest is the same, it comes more regularly in the pyramid. Any other thoughts?
2015-01-09 9:30 AM
in reply to: Snaaijer

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by Snaaijer Hello all, if there's still room I'd like to join as well. Name: Thomas Story: I am a 29 year old Dutchie writing his Master thesis in Groningen, The Netherlands. I found this site a couple of years ago when I dabbled into triathlon, only completing a sprint. During my undergraduate years I rowed competitively (I guess you could compare it to Varsity) and my highlights were going to Boston for the Head of the Charles and to Henley in the UK for the Royal Regatta held there. Now I am intent on finishing my studies, but also to keep active. Running injuries have meant my last two years have been mostly bike-focused. However, the last couple of months I have trained at lower intensity and more frequency, and I have been healthy! So I signed up for an Ironman, because that's the normal course of action for when you've only just completed one sprint tri right? Cycling is my definite strong suit mainly because a lot of rowing fitness carried over into cycling and my ability to keep doing it when I was injured. Running I've got a pretty good handle on and swimming is a big work in progress. Family Status: In a relationship with the love of my life who lives in Switzerland. Current training: As this season has been mostly biking I have slowly built up the running since August and the swimming since November. I now do 5 runs and 3 swims a week, and am looking to pick up biking again (will be mostly indoor weather/light permitting). Mileage wise I'm looking to be around 50km (~30mi?) and about 8000m swimming, building toward 10k. This year's races: Egmond Half Marathon (1:38, PR even with a beach and dune course) Local TT Speedman Groningen (As part of a relay, I biked) Alpenbrevet, Meiringen Switzerland (more of a fondo but hard nonetheless, around 110 miles and about 17500 feet climbing) 2015 schedule so far: 8 February - Local 10k 8 March - City-Pier-City Loop Half Marathon 9 May - Bosbaan Triathlon (sprint) 31 May - Triathlon Nieuwkoop (half) 19 July - Ironman Zurich 23 August - Triathlon Klazienaveen (half) I am looking to do an open water "race" between Nieuwkoop and Zurich but have so far found limited races that have a decently sized wetsuit category based on last year's results so I might do a tri-relay and do the swim leg of an Oly or something if I can convince some of my mates to join in in the other disciplines. Weightloss: Definitely shed a few lbs from my current winter weight but not a real motivator for exercise. What will make me a good mentee: I am mostly self coached so I frequent lots of the online communities. As such I probably think I know a lot but probably don't At least I read alot about tri stuff haha. I'd like to learn from others and their journey, as well as maybe letting others learn from me (if nothing else then from my mistakes). As this will be my first full distance theres always this lingering anxiety of "did i really sign up for this??" Perhaps by combining forces it will not seem so daunting. I have my ideas about training, and I'm looking forward to sharing them and having them challenged/discussed/debunked. I do not have much technical training but it does always interest me, I just got a powermeter so am nerding out a bit over that.

Welcome Thomas...sorry for the delay in posting the official "welcome"   I would love to get over to Europe to race an IM someday.  I did the 90km Swedish Vasaloppet ski race a few years ago and that is my only European racing experience.  Thanks for joining us!!

2015-01-09 10:53 AM

User image

Expert

I use clip-ons too- I had my bike fit professionally a few years ago, probably need to do it again sometime.  They have worked great for me!

I saw the chiropractor and she did some ART so I didn't do anything Wednesday, and yesterday I was doing work stuff from 6:30 am to 9 pm (and on my birthday!), so no workout then either.  Back to workouts today

2015-01-09 11:05 AM

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Ok. I am convinced and will be getting clip-on aero bars in the soonish-future. I am obviously going to get a bike fit to ensure I am in the correct position but since I am doing all that, I am also going to replace the stock saddle that usually results in some numbness after longer rides. So with that...

1. I am thinking Profile Design T2+... Yes/No? Other recommendations?
2. Saddle recommendations? I know this is a bit more personal and may be trial and error but good places to start?

2015-01-09 11:33 AM
in reply to: lanzodt

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lanzodt Ok. I am convinced and will be getting clip-on aero bars in the soonish-future. I am obviously going to get a bike fit to ensure I am in the correct position but since I am doing all that, I am also going to replace the stock saddle that usually results in some numbness after longer rides. So with that... 1. I am thinking Profile Design T2+... Yes/No? Other recommendations? 2. Saddle recommendations? I know this is a bit more personal and may be trial and error but good places to start?

I have Vision Carbon Pro clip-ons on my road bike.  However, they are about 9 years old so I'm not sure what the current model would be.  As for seats, yes HIGHLY personal choice.  I like the Fi'zi:k Arione Tri line of saddle

2015-01-09 3:38 PM
in reply to: lanzodt

User image

I have the Profile Design T2 and love them...very adjustable...

Saddle preference...as Jim mentioned 100% personal.
2015-01-09 6:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
I'm glad someone asked about the aero bars for the road bike. It looks like that is going to be my next purchase, after a seat. I went to three different places to find a seat and the first two were pretty much useless. I had to ask at the first place for a fitting and he bascially just picked out the only seat they had in my size and the second place didn't even know you could measure. The third place was super helpful, but the problem is I have a gift certificate for the first place.

ETA - and I may have just solved my own problem. Use the gift certificate for the aero bars and buy the seat from the good shop (which is out of town).

Edited by Kaper 2015-01-09 6:31 PM
2015-01-09 6:30 PM
in reply to: Kaper

User image

New user
Originally posted by Kaper

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by Kaper  I guess I'll ask my first question - what should my training look like right now or where should I work to be for the start of a training program? I am aiming for a later summer/early fall HIM so its a little early to start a formal program. As I mentioned, I recently had a baby and had a c-section so I have only been back to working out less than 3 months. I was not able to keep running towards the end of my pregnancy but did keep up swimming to almost the end. I've been running for time at an easy pace 3 times a week, two short runs and a longer on the weekend. I'm up to just over 10k for a "long" run. My pace is getting faster but I'm still not back to my usual pace. I'm trying to figure out how long my runs should be ideally. I'm swimming 3 times a week, at least one is longer intervals, another is a master swim workout with different drills and intervals. The third depends on if I can get to master swim or just the pool. I'm also doing at least two strength training sessions at the gym per week. I'm embarrased to admit I have not been back on the bike. I actually just got it back, I had lent it to my SIL for her first tri this summer. I do have a trainer and keep intending to set it up and do videos. Any suggestions or feedback is welcome. (I know, I know, get on the bike)

Hi Sonya.  I think your approach for the run right now sounds fine.  Keep the pace easy for now until your legs get some durability back.  Don't get hung up on pace for a few more weeks.  I don't know what the duration of your shorter runs are right now, but if you can keep them at about 30 minutes that would be sufficient.  You want to build run volume/fitness through frequency, not volume on few runs, right now.  If you can trade your long run on the 3rd run of the week for 2 shorter runs to get to 4 days of running I might suggest that, but if your schedule doesn't allow it then stick with what you're doing.  Your swim training sounds like its on track for improved swim fitness.  Having a masters program to rely on is great.  Finally, GET ON THE BIKE!!!!!     Winter is a critical time to build bike fitness so get that bike set up on the trainer ASAP.  Start out easy for 3 days/week.  Once you get some time on the bike under your belt check out the 16 week winter cycling program  HERE  (use the heart rate based version if you don't have a powermeter).   If you want a comprehensive offseason training plan to get you through the winter then I would suggest the BT training plan called the 4-7 Hour Winter Maintenance/Prep Training Plan - 20 week.  It requires upgrading your membership to at least Silver, but its a low cost option if you want a structured plan.  Note: I have no financial ties to BT so I am merely suggesting that training plan as an option for you.  Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks!
My short runs were 30 minutes, I was starting to move up to longer ones but I can stick there for the time being. I can easily switch out the longer run for two shorter ones, running is the easiest for me to do. Should they all be 30 minutes?

Thanks for the plan suggestions, I will check them out for sure. I really would like to have hired a coach but unfortunately being on maternity leave is a huge pay cut so it is not in the cards this year.

Happy New Year everyone!

So I just realized the other day that I had planned to run a local half marathon at the end of February, which would require me to do longer distances now. Should I forget the race? I'd love to do it, I have a friend who wants to run it, but I can sacrafice it for the bigger goal. I'll volunteer to help out instead.
2015-01-10 5:12 PM
in reply to: kevinbourque

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Originally posted by kevinbourque

I have the Profile Design T2 and love them...very adjustable...

Saddle preference...as Jim mentioned 100% personal.

I have the Profile Design Jammer GT's (shorter)... love them.

Saddle is an Adamo Road. Amazingly comfortable for me. Rode 130+ miles to the Outer Banks one day last year. Zero discomfort.

2015-01-11 10:27 AM
in reply to: tri42

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by tri42
Originally posted by kevinbourque I have the Profile Design T2 and love them...very adjustable... Saddle preference...as Jim mentioned 100% personal.
I have the Profile Design Jammer GT's (shorter)... love them. Saddle is an Adamo Road. Amazingly comfortable for me. Rode 130+ miles to the Outer Banks one day last year. Zero discomfort.

+1 for split saddles generally and the Adamo Road specifically. If you haven't used one before it will likely feel bad at first because you're not used to having weight on those spots... LBSs often have a demo you can ride on for a few days, might be useful.

+1 also for a professional fit. It always feels expensive to me since you don't get any physical thing in return, but it's a good idea. As someone said, you'd be faster and more comfortable on a well-fit $500 ride than a $5k ride that's a few cm off.

2015-01-11 12:54 PM
in reply to: Kaper

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kaper  I guess I'll ask my first question - what should my training look like right now or where should I work to be for the start of a training program? I am aiming for a later summer/early fall HIM so its a little early to start a formal program. As I mentioned, I recently had a baby and had a c-section so I have only been back to working out less than 3 months. I was not able to keep running towards the end of my pregnancy but did keep up swimming to almost the end. I've been running for time at an easy pace 3 times a week, two short runs and a longer on the weekend. I'm up to just over 10k for a "long" run. My pace is getting faster but I'm still not back to my usual pace. I'm trying to figure out how long my runs should be ideally. I'm swimming 3 times a week, at least one is longer intervals, another is a master swim workout with different drills and intervals. The third depends on if I can get to master swim or just the pool. I'm also doing at least two strength training sessions at the gym per week. I'm embarrased to admit I have not been back on the bike. I actually just got it back, I had lent it to my SIL for her first tri this summer. I do have a trainer and keep intending to set it up and do videos. Any suggestions or feedback is welcome. (I know, I know, get on the bike)

Hi Sonya.  I think your approach for the run right now sounds fine.  Keep the pace easy for now until your legs get some durability back.  Don't get hung up on pace for a few more weeks.  I don't know what the duration of your shorter runs are right now, but if you can keep them at about 30 minutes that would be sufficient.  You want to build run volume/fitness through frequency, not volume on few runs, right now.  If you can trade your long run on the 3rd run of the week for 2 shorter runs to get to 4 days of running I might suggest that, but if your schedule doesn't allow it then stick with what you're doing.  Your swim training sounds like its on track for improved swim fitness.  Having a masters program to rely on is great.  Finally, GET ON THE BIKE!!!!!     Winter is a critical time to build bike fitness so get that bike set up on the trainer ASAP.  Start out easy for 3 days/week.  Once you get some time on the bike under your belt check out the 16 week winter cycling program  HERE  (use the heart rate based version if you don't have a powermeter).   If you want a comprehensive offseason training plan to get you through the winter then I would suggest the BT training plan called the 4-7 Hour Winter Maintenance/Prep Training Plan - 20 week.  It requires upgrading your membership to at least Silver, but its a low cost option if you want a structured plan.  Note: I have no financial ties to BT so I am merely suggesting that training plan as an option for you.  Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks! My short runs were 30 minutes, I was starting to move up to longer ones but I can stick there for the time being. I can easily switch out the longer run for two shorter ones, running is the easiest for me to do. Should they all be 30 minutes? Thanks for the plan suggestions, I will check them out for sure. I really would like to have hired a coach but unfortunately being on maternity leave is a huge pay cut so it is not in the cards this year. Happy New Year everyone!
So I just realized the other day that I had planned to run a local half marathon at the end of February, which would require me to do longer distances now. Should I forget the race? I'd love to do it, I have a friend who wants to run it, but I can sacrafice it for the bigger goal. I'll volunteer to help out instead.

Based on where you are right now and just coming back from your pregnancy I would tend to discourage running the half marathon next month.  It's not like its not do-able but you would have to be fairly aggressive in upping your mileage to get ready for the race in a few weeks.  That might hinder your overall program in getting ready to launch your HIM training program.  I'm not usually one to say never, but its just not optimal timing to run the half in February.

2015-01-11 5:57 PM

User image

New user
Based on where you are right now and just coming back from your pregnancy I would tend to discourage running the half marathon next month.  It's not like its not do-able but you would have to be fairly aggressive in upping your mileage to get ready for the race in a few weeks.  That might hinder your overall program in getting ready to launch your HIM training program.  I'm not usually one to say never, but its just not optimal timing to run the half in February.

Thanks. I think you are right. I was worried anyway about how it was going to be. I've had a bad HM before and wasn't looking forward to the possiblity this one would be one. They can always use volunteers.
2015-01-11 6:44 PM

User image

The majority of conversation when discussing cadence in cycling, the optimal seems to be 90-95 RPM...with this said, when you are training indoors on a trainer, do you try to keep as much resistance on the trainer as to force you to work to keep a 90-95 RPM cadence? By way of example: doing interval training 8 sets of 2 minutes...each set followed by 2 minutes recovery...would you set everything up so that you are working hard to maintain a 90-95RPM cadence?

What are the thoughts of swim training with a pull buoy? Are you for or against it?
2015-01-12 7:28 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by kevinbourque The majority of conversation when discussing cadence in cycling, the optimal seems to be 90-95 RPM...with this said, when you are training indoors on a trainer, do you try to keep as much resistance on the trainer as to force you to work to keep a 90-95 RPM cadence? By way of example: doing interval training 8 sets of 2 minutes...each set followed by 2 minutes recovery...would you set everything up so that you are working hard to maintain a 90-95RPM cadence? What are the thoughts of swim training with a pull buoy? Are you for or against it?

The short answer is that you set up the resistance to achieve the intended purpose of the workout, not just for a certain RPM.  If you are using a Computrainer its very easy to set the desire watts for the purpose of the workout and then all you have to do is choose the gear that allows you to spin at the RPM you normally spin at (disregarding any special workouts that purposefully have you spinning at a high or low cadence).  If you are on a trainer where you can't control resistance of the flywheel via a computer (i.e. you tighten the resistance knob before you get on the bike and the setting doesn't change) you rely on gearing to achieve the desired work level the workout calls for.  You will have to play with your gearing to get the RPM you want to spin at and the output of effort your workout calls for.

As for pull buoys, it depends on the intended purpose.  They certainly have their role if you have swim stroke mechanics you are working on, and swimming with and without the buoy provides feedback to you as to what your body position should be. 

2015-01-12 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
AGAINST, AGAINST, AGAINST ... I started my master team only being able to swim with a pull buoy. It is a handicap because you never learn to kick. You need to be able to swim using your full body. At some point you will do a race without a wetsuit and if you are not kicking then you are in trouble. Now having said that, using a pull buoy and paddles for strength drills is and amazing workout to get your faster!!!! I absolutely fly with the paddles!!! Just don't do it all the time.
2015-01-12 10:39 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Extreme Veteran

Jim, I just read your IMMT race report. Great race and write up. I hope you get that spot at CdA this year.

I have a question about zone 1 vs. zone 2 training in IM prep/base. We use a greater proportion of fat in zone 1, and I've heard it suggested that zone 1 training builds the ability to use fat as fuel, so that in a race you can run at a higher intensity for a given fat/carb ratio. If true, that would obviously be great for the IM distance, but last time I looked (years ago) I couldn't find any evidence that training at lower intensities could create more fat-burning adaptation. So the question is, for a given volume of aerobic training, assuming you can handle it all in zone 2 and you're recovering well, is there any evidence that doing time in zone 1 would be advantageous? 

2015-01-13 8:04 AM

New user

My name is Mike.
I am 70 years old in good health. I've been overweight since my teenage years but have been fairly active all my life. In recent years I've run a half marathon (2010), did an olympic tri (2013), a sprint tri (2014), and a bunch of 5 and 10 Ks. However I haven't seen the inside of a gym or done anything worthwhile physically since last fall. I'm feeling pretty crummy about that and feel like I should start as a beginner again.
that's why I'm here. A NEW STARTING POINT is what I'm looking for.

I need motivation and advice. I hope you will take me in your group.
Thanks,
Mike
2015-01-13 11:58 AM
in reply to: tribone

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tribone My name is Mike. I am 70 years old in good health. I've been overweight since my teenage years but have been fairly active all my life. In recent years I've run a half marathon (2010), did an olympic tri (2013), a sprint tri (2014), and a bunch of 5 and 10 Ks. However I haven't seen the inside of a gym or done anything worthwhile physically since last fall. I'm feeling pretty crummy about that and feel like I should start as a beginner again. that's why I'm here. A NEW STARTING POINT is what I'm looking for. I need motivation and advice. I hope you will take me in your group. Thanks, Mike

Welcome Mike!!  Feel free to start firing away with questions.

2015-01-13 12:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by neweyes

Jim, I just read your IMMT race report. Great race and write up. I hope you get that spot at CdA this year.

I have a question about zone 1 vs. zone 2 training in IM prep/base. We use a greater proportion of fat in zone 1, and I've heard it suggested that zone 1 training builds the ability to use fat as fuel, so that in a race you can run at a higher intensity for a given fat/carb ratio. If true, that would obviously be great for the IM distance, but last time I looked (years ago) I couldn't find any evidence that training at lower intensities could create more fat-burning adaptation. So the question is, for a given volume of aerobic training, assuming you can handle it all in zone 2 and you're recovering well, is there any evidence that doing time in zone 1 would be advantageous? 

Thanks!  I just re-read it myself and it brought back good memories from a few months ago.  There will be fewer Kona slots at CdA in my AG so the challenge will be greater.   I'll get to your Zone 1 question later today when I have more time.  I should mention that there have been a few threads on the topic of metabolic efficiency on another site in case you are interested.

Edited by Birkierunner 2015-01-13 12:07 PM

2015-01-13 3:22 PM

User image

In if you'll have me!

NAME: Ted Conroy

STORY: I’m a 25 year old tech professional living in NYC. I started running about 3 years ago, dropped 40 pounds and ran my first half marathon in 2012 (1:41, still my PR.) I was a competitive swimmer in high school, so I figured I'd take the plunge into tris. I'm a terrible cyclist and that tends to be my weak point. I've done two sprints and the NYC tri to this point. Looking to get the courage to move up to half iron distance. I travel once a month, so looking for help on getting workouts in on the road as well.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, no girlfriend, but have an off again/on again relationship with my CAAD10.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm using a lightly modified version of Friel's half iron base plan. I am a new member of the Asphalt Green tri team and tri to work out with them 4x/week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did the JP Morgan corporate challenge in Central Park (24:00 for a 3.3 mile course,) the Hempstead Harbor tri (1:07:xx, 6th in AG) and the NYC Marathon (4:24, died after the QB bridge.)

2015 RACES: This is where I admit to being a wimp. Right now, my plan is only sprints and MAYBE an olympic tri, but with the volume I'm doing, I feel like doing a 70.3 race at the end of the season would be worth all the time spent.

WEIGHTLOSS: My weight's been a yoyo since dropping it all initially. Usually +/- 5 pound of 185. I'm at 177 now, and hope to go under 170 for the season.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have SO MUCH room to grow, and a lot of time to do it. I'm on my computer a lot (I work from home in tech) so I'll always participate. I'm also very conducive to peer pressure. Also I'm very good at quoting "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."
2015-01-13 7:28 PM
in reply to: Ted Conroy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Ted Conroy In if you'll have me! NAME: Ted Conroy STORY: I’m a 25 year old tech professional living in NYC. I started running about 3 years ago, dropped 40 pounds and ran my first half marathon in 2012 (1:41, still my PR.) I was a competitive swimmer in high school, so I figured I'd take the plunge into tris. I'm a terrible cyclist and that tends to be my weak point. I've done two sprints and the NYC tri to this point. Looking to get the courage to move up to half iron distance. I travel once a month, so looking for help on getting workouts in on the road as well. FAMILY STATUS: Single, no girlfriend, but have an off again/on again relationship with my CAAD10. CURRENT TRAINING: I'm using a lightly modified version of Friel's half iron base plan. I am a new member of the Asphalt Green tri team and tri to work out with them 4x/week. THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did the JP Morgan corporate challenge in Central Park (24:00 for a 3.3 mile course,) the Hempstead Harbor tri (1:07:xx, 6th in AG) and the NYC Marathon (4:24, died after the QB bridge.) 2015 RACES: This is where I admit to being a wimp. Right now, my plan is only sprints and MAYBE an olympic tri, but with the volume I'm doing, I feel like doing a 70.3 race at the end of the season would be worth all the time spent. WEIGHTLOSS: My weight's been a yoyo since dropping it all initially. Usually +/- 5 pound of 185. I'm at 177 now, and hope to go under 170 for the season. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have SO MUCH room to grow, and a lot of time to do it. I'm on my computer a lot (I work from home in tech) so I'll always participate. I'm also very conducive to peer pressure. Also I'm very good at quoting "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

Great to have you join us Ted!  I thought NYC Marathon was an incredible experience and love the city.  Welcome!

2015-01-13 8:33 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Looking for thoughts from people … Recovery drinks. What do people use and they think are great for endurance training. I am already doing 10-12 hrs weeks and my body is tired and screaming already and 8 months from today I need to be on the start line of IMWI. Please comment on taste as well. I have tried Hammer Recoverite and that does not taste the greatest.
2015-01-13 10:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'll get to your Zone 1 question later today when I have more time.  I should mention that there have been a few threads on the topic of metabolic efficiency on another site in case you are interested.

Thanks. I read that thread and some of the linked articles. What I take from it is that increasing fat % of diet or low-intensity % of training volume can change physiological adaptations and some people think it has improved their performance, but there's really not evidence for the latter. OTOH, there is lots of evidence for increased fat metabolism and efficiency through training and of better training with CHO consumption. Does that fit with your understanding?

In my first and only other IM season, I ate a lot of carbs in training, and I think it allowed me to get the work done day after day. I aimed for zone 2 in all my sessions and stayed in upper zone 2 on almost all of the runs; on the bike there was some muscular endurance in the hills and a lot of  zone 1 time since I was new to cycling and just found it hard to hold zone 2. During the race, I took in a pretty good amount of calories (350 cal/hr on the bike, 250 on the run), and didn't have any GI issues, and didn't seem to run out of fuel. Since that all worked pretty well last time, I'm thinking I'll stick with a similar strategy this year. 

Achieving racing weight is, of course, a related issue. I'd like to drop around 12 pounds of fat over the next 28 weeks (from 166 and 18% fat to 154 and 12% fat). Last time the training volume pretty much made weight loss automatic, despite, as I remember it, plowing through pints of ice cream, movie theater boxes of candy, burritos, etc. This year, I'd like to keep the food quality higher, at least until the really high volume period, limit eating after dinner, and do a couple fasted workouts each week (which have been shown to help weight loss). 

Anything in there I should rethink?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 19

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46051 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166

Started by Qua17
Views: 84284 Posts: 4130

2015-12-31 9:16 PM bgreen6252

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54089 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31