BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2015-01-13 10:42 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)

Originally posted by carrie639 Looking for thoughts from people … Recovery drinks. What do people use and they think are great for endurance training. I am already doing 10-12 hrs weeks and my body is tired and screaming already and 8 months from today I need to be on the start line of IMWI. Please comment on taste as well. I have tried Hammer Recoverite and that does not taste the greatest.

Related to what I just posted, after workouts longer than 60-90 minutes (depending on how I feel and how soon my next workout is), I do a smoothie: OJ and maybe chocolate milk or chocolate almond milk, a scoop (20g) of pure whey isolate, a banana, and some frozen berries. In really high volume periods and after the longest workouts, I'll add some maltodextrine or straight dextrose to that. If it's hot, I add some salt and nu salt. Tastes great. There is a great table on page 60 of Paleo Diet for Athletes that specifies how much of what should go into your recovery drinks based on your weight. I can send a photo of it if you want.

2015-01-14 10:28 AM
in reply to: neweyes

User image

I typically drink chocolate milk after every workout, just bought into the marketing campaign!

But in all seriousness, it's a delicious, cost-effective way to get carbs and protein in quickly. I am typically less sore after long sessions if I refuel with it. I try to go clif shot blok/water while I'm doing the long sessions to keep salt up. Gatorade after if I feel real terrible.

Strength workouts are a total miss for me. I get sore 48 hours after my tri strength class, just in time to hit the pool, no matter what I take in.
2015-01-14 10:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
my bio..... finally.

Name: Craig

Story: 51 yr. old Operations Mgmt Professional and adjunct professor @ Gardner Webb university. Starting working out again in 2006 and did one sprint tri. in '07 with a pool swim. My best sport was previously running (middle distance/sprinting) but I had to cut back a good bit in recent times due to PF and weight gain. Starting to build a base again. Trained for a marathon back in '09 and got up to 16 miles but injured my foot and couldn't race. Completed one half-marathon in 2007. I began cycling in 2007 and love it... very comfortable on the bike. 15+ centuries and I like the hilly ones. Completed the Assault on Mt. Mitchell twice. Finished a one day ride to Cape Hatteras of 140+ miles this past October. Race 10 mile tt's occassionally. Swimming is basically non-existent. I've been around water my whole life and I'm very comfortable there too. Sinus issues flared up sometimes when I swam back in '07 but I think that's under control now.

I want a challenge and I'm planning oon racing a half Ironman this year... if I can not injur emyself, and the Beach 2 Battleship race in Wilmington NC. has a very friendly ows in the inlet with a serious current advantage.

Family Status: separated at this time, 2 wonderful kids in college, 1 @ NC State in OT, 1 @ UNCC as an electrical engineer. Life is good.

Current Trng: Cycling a little and plan on getting on the trnr. as I've found it really helps maintain/increase fitness for the coming year. Easy speed. Starting to build running base being conscious of my tendency toward overuse injuries.

2015 races: Huntersville Sprint tri - April 26
Over the Mtn. International tri - May 30 (1 mile ows)
Beach 2 Battleship Half Ironman Tri. - Octobert 17

Weightloss: Need it... Stuck at 195 for awhile now. 5'8'. Strength is not an issue. Even as recently as 2 yrs. ago I've been able to drop weight quickly when training regularly. This is key to my plans (dropping weight). Overeating due to stress and love of food gets me sometimes.

What will make me a good mentee ? I try to listen well, I have no problem with reality and I love competing. I'm not afraid to fail and I like helping others and reveling in their successes. Love challenges and expanding the envelope.

Edited by tri42 2015-01-14 10:46 AM
2015-01-14 11:34 AM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Did a nice threshold interval run today (or cruise interval as Jack Daniels call it, as if there aren't enough terms for the same thing), was supposed to be 4 times about a 3/4 mile interval with 1 min rest, but I added a fifth one because it was snowing sideways and I wanted to stay a bit warmer and get home sooner. It felt relatively easy but I had to resist the temptation to go faster or longer, as I recall these things are supposed to be easy.

Tonight I'm going for a swim, I am looking for a good way to really nail down my pacing for certain intervals. I use the Swim Smooth site alot for tips and to visualize swimming, and they have something called CSS or Critical Swim Speed, which is basically supposed to be your threshold. It calls for a 200m and 400m TT and then calculates a pace based on the difference between the two. Thing is I've been too chicken to do an all-out TT. I did do one of the CSS workouts on monday, 8x200m on 20s rest and they were quite consistently around 1:41/100m, so I suppose that is a starting point. I thought maybe tonight I'd try to go a little faster and just do 100m repeats with 10s rest, to see how that feels. I'll report back. If anyone has any tips (please don't make me do a 1500m TT) I'm very much open to suggestions.

Edited by Snaaijer 2015-01-14 11:34 AM
2015-01-14 11:53 AM
in reply to: Snaaijer

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by Snaaijer Did a nice threshold interval run today (or cruise interval as Jack Daniels call it, as if there aren't enough terms for the same thing), was supposed to be 4 times about a 3/4 mile interval with 1 min rest, but I added a fifth one because it was snowing sideways and I wanted to stay a bit warmer and get home sooner. It felt relatively easy but I had to resist the temptation to go faster or longer, as I recall these things are supposed to be easy. Tonight I'm going for a swim, I am looking for a good way to really nail down my pacing for certain intervals. I use the Swim Smooth site alot for tips and to visualize swimming, and they have something called CSS or Critical Swim Speed, which is basically supposed to be your threshold. It calls for a 200m and 400m TT and then calculates a pace based on the difference between the two. Thing is I've been too chicken to do an all-out TT. I did do one of the CSS workouts on monday, 8x200m on 20s rest and they were quite consistently around 1:41/100m, so I suppose that is a starting point. I thought maybe tonight I'd try to go a little faster and just do 100m repeats with 10s rest, to see how that feels. I'll report back. If anyone has any tips (please don't make me do a 1500m TT) I'm very much open to suggestions.

I determine CSS for my athletes by having them do a 500 and 1000 yd test.  These tests can't be "all out" because you would never finish them.  The goal is to give the effort that will allow you to finish knowing that you couldn't have given more at the end.  It does take some experience to learn how to do these tests properly because most first timers go out way too fast and then its not a reliable test.   So, don't be afraid of a TT

2015-01-14 12:52 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Pro

Mimi, time for you to register for IM CDA!   I just registered yesterday because my hopes of getting agreement on the homefront on going to IMMT for a 4th year in a row were fading and I didn't want to take a chance on CDA filling up as my alternate.

2015-01-14 1:11 PM

User image

Do you do the tests in two separate sessions? And then base workouts on 500t+(x) or 1000t+(x) based on the type of workout?
2015-01-14 2:55 PM
in reply to: Ted Conroy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Ted Conroy Do you do the tests in two separate sessions? And then base workouts on 500t+(x) or 1000t+(x) based on the type of workout?

I usually have at least a day in between the 2 tests and then calculate the CSS.  We use the current CSS to set up pace categories (I don't want to call them zones) of increasing percentages of CSS that we use for different workouts or sets within a workout.

2015-01-14 5:14 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Mimi, time for you to register for IM CDA!   I just registered yesterday because my hopes of getting agreement on the homefront on going to IMMT for a 4th year in a row were fading and I didn't want to take a chance on CDA filling up as my alternate.

I just checked out your IMMT race report. We were there to watch it in 2013. A bunch from my tri club did the race so as part of our fall (not quite) trip my husband and I went to watch. It was pretty amazing to watch.
A couple of guys went this year, one guy managed to get a roll down spot for Kona. He wasn't in your age group though.
2015-01-14 5:46 PM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Thanks for the suggestion Jim, although I'm not so sure I like your alternative any better than the 200/400 combo Do you prefer longer distances to tease out the sprint element of the shorter distances?

Unfortunately (ha!) I didn't read your message until after my session, which, I must admit, was a humble lesson in swimming speed and pacing. My first problem is I swim too fast during warmup. In Dutch there's a saying called "je kruit verschieten" which basically means that you should keep your powder dry, and I rarely do this in a warmup... Then I figured that, since I did 1600m worth of 200s at 1:40, for sure I could do 10x100 at 1:30 right? Well the first two were close but I already knew I was in trouble. With considerably more rest, I struggled to hold 1:40 for the last couple of 100s. So there's that.... Maybe I was a little more fatigued from the running intervals than I thought, but I'm thinking a more reasonable repeat for 100s is probably closer to 1:36ish maybe. Not sure what a normal "loss" of speed from 100 to 200 is
2015-01-14 7:22 PM

User image

New user

Miami
At this point in my swimming, I average about 2:20 per 100 yards. I can swim a lot faster but then after 100 yards, I am gasping for over a minute. At the 2:20 pace I can do anything from 200's to 500's to my longest straight swim of about 800 yards. My main concern at this point is obviously building a base. I guess my question is, What is the most efficient way to improve my swim for "completing" triathlons. Should I be doing 20 100's in a workout or just swimming long slow distance like I would if I was building a base in running? Thank you for your responses and I apologize for rambling.

2015-01-14 9:17 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

Totally wanted to this year...but, I am a poor girl and made a decision to race a non-IM brand race for a LOT LESS the cost!  Entry fee of $250 and only 3 hour drive from home/train on the course.  I hope they keep that race - I want to do it! I have family there so it would be a hoot :D 

I will live vicariously through you, Jim! 

2015-01-15 12:44 PM
in reply to: angelo314

User image

Pro

Originally posted by angelo314 At this point in my swimming, I average about 2:20 per 100 yards. I can swim a lot faster but then after 100 yards, I am gasping for over a minute. At the 2:20 pace I can do anything from 200's to 500's to my longest straight swim of about 800 yards. My main concern at this point is obviously building a base. I guess my question is, What is the most efficient way to improve my swim for "completing" triathlons. Should I be doing 20 100's in a workout or just swimming long slow distance like I would if I was building a base in running? Thank you for your responses and I apologize for rambling.

One of the first things I would do is see if there is a local coach that you can ask/pay to have them look at your stroke.  There may be some low hanging fruit that you can address regarding your stroke that will make you a faster swimmer.

2015-01-15 10:26 PM
in reply to: neweyes

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by neweyes

I'll get to your Zone 1 question later today when I have more time.  I should mention that there have been a few threads on the topic of metabolic efficiency on another site in case you are interested.

Thanks. I read that thread and some of the linked articles. What I take from it is that increasing fat % of diet or low-intensity % of training volume can change physiological adaptations and some people think it has improved their performance, but there's really not evidence for the latter. OTOH, there is lots of evidence for increased fat metabolism and efficiency through training and of better training with CHO consumption. Does that fit with your understanding?

In my first and only other IM season, I ate a lot of carbs in training, and I think it allowed me to get the work done day after day. I aimed for zone 2 in all my sessions and stayed in upper zone 2 on almost all of the runs; on the bike there was some muscular endurance in the hills and a lot of  zone 1 time since I was new to cycling and just found it hard to hold zone 2. During the race, I took in a pretty good amount of calories (350 cal/hr on the bike, 250 on the run), and didn't have any GI issues, and didn't seem to run out of fuel. Since that all worked pretty well last time, I'm thinking I'll stick with a similar strategy this year. 

Achieving racing weight is, of course, a related issue. I'd like to drop around 12 pounds of fat over the next 28 weeks (from 166 and 18% fat to 154 and 12% fat). Last time the training volume pretty much made weight loss automatic, despite, as I remember it, plowing through pints of ice cream, movie theater boxes of candy, burritos, etc. This year, I'd like to keep the food quality higher, at least until the really high volume period, limit eating after dinner, and do a couple fasted workouts each week (which have been shown to help weight loss). 

Anything in there I should rethink?

bump

2015-01-16 9:57 AM

User image

Pro

I'll get to your Zone 1 question later today when I have more time.  I should mention that there have been a few threads on the topic of metabolic efficiency on another site in case you are interested.

Thanks. I read that thread and some of the linked articles. What I take from it is that increasing fat % of diet or low-intensity % of training volume can change physiological adaptations and some people think it has improved their performance, but there's really not evidence for the latter. OTOH, there is lots of evidence for increased fat metabolism and efficiency through training and of better training with CHO consumption. Does that fit with your understanding?

In my first and only other IM season, I ate a lot of carbs in training, and I think it allowed me to get the work done day after day. I aimed for zone 2 in all my sessions and stayed in upper zone 2 on almost all of the runs; on the bike there was some muscular endurance in the hills and a lot of  zone 1 time since I was new to cycling and just found it hard to hold zone 2. During the race, I took in a pretty good amount of calories (350 cal/hr on the bike, 250 on the run), and didn't have any GI issues, and didn't seem to run out of fuel. Since that all worked pretty well last time, I'm thinking I'll stick with a similar strategy this year. 

Achieving racing weight is, of course, a related issue. I'd like to drop around 12 pounds of fat over the next 28 weeks (from 166 and 18% fat to 154 and 12% fat). Last time the training volume pretty much made weight loss automatic, despite, as I remember it, plowing through pints of ice cream, movie theater boxes of candy, burritos, etc. This year, I'd like to keep the food quality higher, at least until the really high volume period, limit eating after dinner, and do a couple fasted workouts each week (which have been shown to help weight loss). 

Anything in there I should rethink?

bump

Sorry for the delay in responding, but its a complicated issue and I didn't want to give a superficial response.  The first thing we should touch on is the myth of "junk miles".  Some will say that unless your workout has a specific objective, with specific duration and intensity, or are done at the no man's zone 3, blah blah blah that the miles are junk miles.  That's just plain silly.  All training is beneficial, but some types of training are much more beneficial than others.  For time-limited athletes that becomes very important.  A good table to look at is HERE.  It outlines the various physiological adaptations that occur along the spectrum of training zone intensities.  However, view this with a grain of salt.  Some people think that training adaptation x can only be developed at training zone Y.  In reality, adaptations occur at all training zones but the type and magnitude of the adaptions will vary depending on training zones.  And to take it further, most adaptions are optimized at training zones GREATER than what some people like to think of as "base"...zone 1 and 2.  That is great news for the time-limited athlete.  Zones 1 and 2 have their place in training....but time-limited athletes should not have their training hours dominated by zones 1 and 2.  That is a path to no improvement.  You must impart a stress (and recovery) to the body to foster adaptation and thus improvement.  Shorter workouts at higher intensities can fit nicely into the time-limited athlete's schedule and will, when combined with the appropriate mix of longer, lower intensity workouts, prepare the athlete better for an IM event.  How those are all balanced depends on the athlete's strengths and weaknesses.

So, I don't approach training with the thought of how to optimize my fat or CHO utilization.  Those are by-products of training.  Training should be geared towards improving one's Critical Power on the bike, Critical Velocity on the run, and Critical Swim Speed.  These are improved at training intensities that are higher than what we will use on Ironman race day.  The key to Ironman racing is not to be able to go fast, its to be able to slow down the least.  By improving your CSS you can hop on the bike less fatigued...by improving your CP you will be able to execute the proper pace and come off the bike less fatigued and be able to put on your running shoes and be able to slow down the least.. especially the last 6-8 miles of the run.  Obviously, you have to have a race plan that takes into account your fitness level and then execute well during the race to accomplish this.

With regard to training and race nutrition, it is a very individual thing.  You can conduct sweat tests to determine your fluid needs for the race and practice that during your long training rides.  Body weight can be used to determine CHO requirements for the race.  Some handle solids better than others so you have to experiment with what food types satisfy your needs.  You definitely don't want to consume too many calories or else you will experience GI distress and possible stomach shutdown.  Sounds like you have a race nutrition plan that works for you.   In training you want to be sure to replenish your glycogen supplies within the one hour post workout window when absorption potential is highest.  Smoothies are a great way to accomplish that right after a workout and be sure to include a certain amount of protein with it.  Your description of a smoothie earlier is a lot like mine....one scoop of whey protein, OJ, couple tablespoons of yogurt, strawberries and blueberries.  Personally, I would rely more on portion control for weight loss and for me, once I cut down on the ice cream and Cheezits I can drop weigh pretty quickly without resorting to fasted workouts. 

Edited by Birkierunner 2015-01-16 10:07 AM
2015-01-16 10:29 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Snaaijer Thanks for the suggestion Jim, although I'm not so sure I like your alternative any better than the 200/400 combo Do you prefer longer distances to tease out the sprint element of the shorter distances? Unfortunately (ha!) I didn't read your message until after my session, which, I must admit, was a humble lesson in swimming speed and pacing. My first problem is I swim too fast during warmup. In Dutch there's a saying called "je kruit verschieten" which basically means that you should keep your powder dry, and I rarely do this in a warmup... Then I figured that, since I did 1600m worth of 200s at 1:40, for sure I could do 10x100 at 1:30 right? Well the first two were close but I already knew I was in trouble. With considerably more rest, I struggled to hold 1:40 for the last couple of 100s. So there's that.... Maybe I was a little more fatigued from the running intervals than I thought, but I'm thinking a more reasonable repeat for 100s is probably closer to 1:36ish maybe. Not sure what a normal "loss" of speed from 100 to 200 is

Theoretically, any combo will work.  I tend to use the 500/1000 combo because I work with IM athletes primarily.  If one is racing only short course then shorter combos would be appropriate.  The shorter combos are also easier mentally.   The only thing is for IM athletes, if the distances are very short and the athlete is in very good shape you might not get the best measure of regression rate that a longer test might give you.  With regard to what a "normal loss" of speed from 100 to 200 it is hard to say because it is unique to the individual.  You use the percent difference to get insight to the athletes strength/weakness.

2015-01-16 4:41 PM

User image

New user
Checking in. In case anyone has been checking, I haven't done anything active the past few days. My son got sick and passed it on to me. Fortunately, it didn't hit him as hard. Unfortunately, I've been pretty useless. I can't remember ever being this sick.
2015-01-16 10:25 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
While I have not done and IM yet (this year) I have found we do both short and long sets and it varies when and how much of each. Usually in the summer you can do all the distance in OW swims, and then the pool swims are drill work, speed work, timed sets. Obviously, the longer the race you need to make sure you can do the distance and stay consistent pace-wise.

Wondering, I did a 35 ish min HIM this past summer with a wetsuit, assuming similar fitness or better, about what does that translate to for IM distance? How much do you lose the longer you go? I did the madison OW swim last summer with minimal training after the HIM in a speed suit and did 1:22. What do the wetsuit save and how much does the distance add to time?
2015-01-17 11:06 AM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Jim, makes sense regarding the longer distances. I use the Swim Smooth training plan for Iron man distance. I do think I'll do the 200/400 in lieu of your combo because I'm not as confident my form will hold up just yet for a "proper" time trial, that and the fact my pacing is bad.

Carrie, I don't have personal experience but what I've seen from other people 8 minutes is a ballpark area over the IM distance. It probably depends where you are on the speed spectrum as well as your swimming style I'd assume (and proper fit of the wetsuit) but that is a ballpark figure that I saw I think from Kona swims (not wetsuit legal) in relation to other -wetsuit legal- swims. As for the doubling of the distance, I'll defer to others

Did a nice group ride with some capable riders today, expecting to struggle but I actually was towing them all along at some point during the ride! Felt great, despite limited time in the saddle I think I've never been this in shape in January before.
2015-01-18 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Sorry for the delay in responding, but its a complicated issue and I didn't want to give a superficial response.  The first thing we should touch on is the myth of "junk miles".  Some will say that unless your workout has a specific objective, with specific duration and intensity, or are done at the no man's zone 3, blah blah blah that the miles are junk miles.  That's just plain silly.  All training is beneficial, but some types of training are much more beneficial than others.  For time-limited athletes that becomes very important.  A good table to look at is HERE.  It outlines the various physiological adaptations that occur along the spectrum of training zone intensities.  However, view this with a grain of salt.  Some people think that training adaptation x can only be developed at training zone Y.  In reality, adaptations occur at all training zones but the type and magnitude of the adaptions will vary depending on training zones.  And to take it further, most adaptions are optimized at training zones GREATER than what some people like to think of as "base"...zone 1 and 2.  That is great news for the time-limited athlete.  Zones 1 and 2 have their place in training....but time-limited athletes should not have their training hours dominated by zones 1 and 2.  That is a path to no improvement.  You must impart a stress (and recovery) to the body to foster adaptation and thus improvement.  Shorter workouts at higher intensities can fit nicely into the time-limited athlete's schedule and will, when combined with the appropriate mix of longer, lower intensity workouts, prepare the athlete better for an IM event.  How those are all balanced depends on the athlete's strengths and weaknesses.

So, I don't approach training with the thought of how to optimize my fat or CHO utilization.  Those are by-products of training.  Training should be geared towards improving one's Critical Power on the bike, Critical Velocity on the run, and Critical Swim Speed.  These are improved at training intensities that are higher than what we will use on Ironman race day.  The key to Ironman racing is not to be able to go fast, its to be able to slow down the least.  By improving your CSS you can hop on the bike less fatigued...by improving your CP you will be able to execute the proper pace and come off the bike less fatigued and be able to put on your running shoes and be able to slow down the least.. especially the last 6-8 miles of the run.  Obviously, you have to have a race plan that takes into account your fitness level and then execute well during the race to accomplish this.

With regard to training and race nutrition, it is a very individual thing.  You can conduct sweat tests to determine your fluid needs for the race and practice that during your long training rides.  Body weight can be used to determine CHO requirements for the race.  Some handle solids better than others so you have to experiment with what food types satisfy your needs.  You definitely don't want to consume too many calories or else you will experience GI distress and possible stomach shutdown.  Sounds like you have a race nutrition plan that works for you.   In training you want to be sure to replenish your glycogen supplies within the one hour post workout window when absorption potential is highest.  Smoothies are a great way to accomplish that right after a workout and be sure to include a certain amount of protein with it.  Your description of a smoothie earlier is a lot like mine....one scoop of whey protein, OJ, couple tablespoons of yogurt, strawberries and blueberries.  Personally, I would rely more on portion control for weight loss and for me, once I cut down on the ice cream and Cheezits I can drop weigh pretty quickly without resorting to fasted workouts. 

Thanks, Jim, I really appreciate this. It does sound like we disagree a bit about how far you can go on just aerobic training, but I think I will benefit from some higher intensity work this season. (One note: I use Friel's zones, which means my zone 2 includes the bottom half of Coggan's zone 3). What I'm left wondering about now is the relative mix of zone 3 vs. zone 4 and bike vs. run intensity and how the intensity builds over the season. I'll go back to TTB and Going Long and probably come back with another question after I've drafted some changes to the plan. Going Long has an eight week stretch of ME bike workouts for the early season, I suppose I'll start by adding those to midweek rides.

In the meantime, today I've got a fun ride up one of the higher peaks around the Bay Area, and then the first recovery/testing week of the season. Hope you're all getting some fun training in this weekend.

2015-01-19 9:06 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

What is everyone up to this weekend?  I got in a nice 60 mile ride along A1A on Saturday, 9 miler on the recovered trash heap on Sat. and thinking a nice swim, gym and maybe yoga with the spawn today.  I have a few months of unfocused training/ base building, before I kick into IM training

As a side note...did you make up the list of mentees, Jim?  So I can send hellos and inspires and such?  

2015-01-19 10:23 PM
in reply to: Mimir98

User image

Hey all, made the most of the long weekend. 1 hour spin class with the team on Saturday, 7 miles on the hamster wheel yesterday, and finally did a 1000 yard TT in the pool today, to compliment a light leg lift. Came in at 14:44, so I'm pleased with my swim form going into this base period.

Hoping to get outside this week whether on the bike or run!
2015-01-20 3:55 AM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Sounds like a productive weekend for unstructured training Mimi

After my group ride on saturday I was asked to substitute in a rowing eight on sunday. I was a bit reluctant as I had an 11 mile run planned for sunday but I always know how fun it is to row especially when everybody knows what they're doing. I enjoyed the row, but not so much the run after. I think it might have been more mental than physical training, but lesson learned and although at my upcoming IM I will have to run the whole 26.2 after the swim and bike, in January I'd like to have a bit more separation between workouts Especially with running being second. Swimming tired and biking tired are far more forgiving I've found.

Ted: nice time on the TT! Is that a new personal best for you?

Edited by Snaaijer 2015-01-20 3:56 AM
2015-01-20 10:07 AM

User image

Thomas, pretty impressive rowing then running. I have enough time putting my shoes on just to jog.

As far as I can remember, it's a PR. I haven't really spent any time in the pool since high school at all, so I never got around to doing a TT in prior years. I want to say my 500 in high school was somewhere between 7:00-7:45 (8 years is a long time for this brain.) I have a 50 meter nearby now, so I'm looking forward to actually getting some work in and building up swimming as a strength again.

2015-01-20 6:54 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by Mimir98

What is everyone up to this weekend?  I got in a nice 60 mile ride along A1A on Saturday, 9 miler on the recovered trash heap on Sat. and thinking a nice swim, gym and maybe yoga with the spawn today.  I have a few months of unfocused training/ base building, before I kick into IM training

As a side note...did you make up the list of mentees, Jim?  So I can send hellos and inspires and such?  

I am hoping to get back at it this week. My tri group has brought back their Sunday "death by spin" session, 4 1/2 segements of spinning. You can do it all or some. Cycling outside is not an option. My goal is to get to that and our Saturday morning swim. Both will be easy sessions since, at this point, I'm still too sick to do anything. I went for a walk outside this weekend and ended up spiking a fever and had chills so bad. Hoping I'll be feeling better by the weekend.

Ted - Nice!

Edited by Kaper 2015-01-20 6:58 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 19

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46362 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166

Started by Qua17
Views: 84874 Posts: 4130

2015-12-31 9:16 PM bgreen6252

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54475 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31