BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2015-01-26 8:25 AM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)

Originally posted by StevenC  Pushed it a bit harder than my plan called for so I hope my coach doesn't get too mad

Oh, don't worry...in the next couple of months you will be begging me for an easy workout  

2015-01-26 8:27 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Pro

Member BT Log Location
 Jim Birkierunner WI
Angelo Angelo314 FL
 Sonya Kaper 
 John Toefuzz MI
 Kat KatNWater TN
Mike neweyes 
William Jhupcom PA
Chris Toffels MO
David [email protected]

CA

Karen momandmd 
 Steve StevenC CA
 Bill fshcm NV
 Kevin kevinbourque NB
 Mimi Mimir98 FL
 Carrie carrie639 IL
 Eddie ramiedd 
 Craig tri42 
 Thomas Snaaijer NED
 Dan lanzodt OH

Mike tribone 
 Ted Ted Conroy NY
 Sarah Sarah73 MS
 Neelia marathongirl21 CO

2015-01-26 8:42 AM
in reply to: marathongirl21

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Neelia welcome. I see you're planning to do a HIM 6 weeks out from a full distance (the full being the A race). I have a half planned 7 weeks out from my full race. I'm wondering if you've given any thought as to how you will work this into your plan? Will you taper for your half, and how much recovery are you allotting? I would expect these 7 weeks (or 6 in your case) are prime real estate for hitting up some last big mile weeks, but you also need to recover a bit from a HIM right? Maybe you have someone who writes your plans for you, then you just follow that I am not really following a plan so I am hoping someone can give me some general insight. I'm not necessarily looking for a day by day itinerary but some general advice might go a long way, this is truly uncharted territory for me.
2015-01-26 8:53 AM
in reply to: neweyes

User image

Pro

Originally posted by neweyes

Good luck tomorrow Sarah!

Thomas, I hadn't heard of SwimSmooth until now, but it looks really good. Do you follow their workouts? Have folks found value in structured swim sets/training vs. just do some drills, some hard, some easy, and always focus on form?

The relative value of drill work really is dependent on the proficiency of the swimmer.  In general, someone in the 1:40+/100 yd range could probably benefit from technique work to pick the low hanging fruit that will result in faster swim times.  Drill work that engrains the proper body position and rotation in the water will be very valuable in the offseason.  In my case, I'm the "Arnie Type" swimmer described in the SwimSmooth analyses.  That means my hips and legs sink, I tend to scissor-kick, and from above you can see a serpentine motion in my spine.  I never really knew this until I finally got a GoPro camera and had my wife take some video of me this winter.  It was an eye-opener.  So, the past several weeks I have been focusing on drills that will focus on getting my hips and legs closer to the water surface, activating my core to keep my body motions in a tighter cyclinder, and constantly working on being aware of where my head is during the entire stroke....I tend to lift my head ever so slightly when I rotate to breathe which automatically causes your legs to sink.

I start the beginning of all swim workouts with a warmup and then a set of drills before the main set.  Sometimes the main set will still incorporate elements of drills by focusing on the essentials of the drill for the first 25 yds and then swim the return 25 trying to maintain that while swimming "normally".  It is definitely something that will not happen overnight but repetition will engrain the movements in your stroke so hopefully you don't have to think about it during a race. 

Mike, you posted a video a while back and although I'm not a swim stroke analysis expert it looks like your hips and legs aren't in too bad of a position.  One thing that I noticed is that you seem to drop your arm a bit and could benefit from having a higher elbow.  Maybe it was my imagination but at the very end of the video it looked like you had a slight scissor-kick and that could be something to work on as well....it definitely isn't as severe as the scissor kick I had.  

2015-01-26 9:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Snaaijer Neelia welcome. I see you're planning to do a HIM 6 weeks out from a full distance (the full being the A race). I have a half planned 7 weeks out from my full race. I'm wondering if you've given any thought as to how you will work this into your plan? Will you taper for your half, and how much recovery are you allotting? I would expect these 7 weeks (or 6 in your case) are prime real estate for hitting up some last big mile weeks, but you also need to recover a bit from a HIM right? Maybe you have someone who writes your plans for you, then you just follow that I am not really following a plan so I am hoping someone can give me some general insight. I'm not necessarily looking for a day by day itinerary but some general advice might go a long way, this is truly uncharted territory for me.

Thomas, you are right in that the 2 months prior to an Ironman are key preparation weeks especially considering that you will begin a taper for the A race a couple of weeks out (it will vary for the swim, bike and run portions of plans I develop).  So, backing up from there you will have some very important weeks of long rides and race simulations.  That could run into the recovery period of a half ironman if the HIM is too close.  Whether or not you taper for the half is totally dependent on the athlete's experience, current fitness, and goals for the race.  If the half is a B or C race I would tend to not spend too many valuable days tapering for the race.  Required recovery is also dependent on the athlete's experience, fitness, and how hard you raced; but you will have to build in some type of recovery and easy back into training the following 7-10 days.  The HIM will at least provide an opportunity to practice race nutrition strategies despite the shorter distance.

Edited by Birkierunner 2015-01-26 9:20 AM
2015-01-26 10:12 AM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by marathongirl21 Hey MomandMD, I think you contacted me in the past! I'm in Aurora maybe we can get together to train sometime? I'm considering joining the Utah pool on Peoria masters swim mon/wed/friday 5:30-7am. I ride with meet up groups when the weather is warmer and hope to find a few to ride the Boulder Ironman route a few times before the race! You should do harvest moon. I should probably do it, its a month after Boulder. I did it this year and it was great. Really lucked out with it not being to hot!

Hi again!  I hadn't heard of the Utah pool master's before but that would be perfect for me- it's on my way to work so easier to fit in.  I'm not sure my swimming fitness is up to Master's yet though .  It would be fun to get together but I am very slow...

2015-01-26 11:00 AM
in reply to: momandmd

User image

Wanted to solicit some opinions from the peanut gallery.

I think I'm going to focus on sprint tris this summer. This doesn't mean I won't consider a half iron (would be my first) labor day weekend or later on, maybe Austin or Augusta. But for now, I think I have a good chance of placing in my AG at some of the smaller regional events here in the tri state.

My bike is terrible, and that will be a whole 'nother topic, but I am interested in dropping my run time into a more competitive time for my AG in smaller events. My 5K PR on it's own is 21:40, and my last sprint tri I logged in at 22:00 for a 3.0 mile course.

I want to drop that time down into the 20-21:00 5k territory after the first 2 legs, but am not sure the best strategy. Right now I'm base training, and my running plan looks something like this:

Monday: 30-45 minutes easy runs (9:30 pace.)

Thursday: one hour Tri team hill workout (400 m hill repeats, usually includes skipping and bounding)

Saturday or Sunday: Endurance run, 70-90 minutes. 10-15 minutes warmup (9:30/mile), 45 minutes at approx. 8:50-9:00/mile, 15-20 minute cool down.

I am so used to running for endurance that I haven't really gotten into serious speed work in a long time. Closest I've done is Yasso 800s for the marathon back in October.

What would you do? Happy Monday, everyone.
2015-01-26 11:14 AM
in reply to: #5075376

Wondering if you are willing to take on a scrappy (new to the sport) 13 year old? Hannah has completed 1 indoor tri.
2015-01-26 11:35 AM
in reply to: Ted Conroy

User image

Originally posted by Ted Conroy

I want to drop that time down into the 20-21:00 5k territory after the first 2 legs, but am not sure the best strategy. Right now I'm base training, and my running plan looks something like this:

Thursday: one hour Tri team hill workout (400 m hill repeats, usually includes skipping and bounding)

Saturday or Sunday: Endurance run, 70-90 minutes. 10-15 minutes warmup (9:30/mile), 45 minutes at approx. 8:50-9:00/mile, 15-20 minute cool down.

I am so used to running for endurance that I haven't really gotten into serious speed work in a long time. Closest I've done is Yasso 800s for the marathon back in October.

Jim is the real running expert but I know from my experience last year that when I incorporated speed work into my routine, I saw the biggest improvement. Most of my running was still done at Zone 2 but every week about 25% was fast. Either a tempo run, intervals, fartlek, negative splits, etc. Are you hill workouts done for speed? If not, what is lacking in here is any work done at or below you 5K pace. Maybe incorporate a few intervals into your longer run. That way you are still able to log the miles but get some speed in as well.
2015-01-26 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks, Jim. I do my swim workouts similarly... some drill and form focused work in and right after the warmup, then some faster stuff, sometimes with alternating 25s or 50s drill-swim or pull-swim to break up longer main sets. I really appreciate the comments on the video. My analysis was similar... I've been working on high elbows and good catch since then, also good rotation and keeping the legs up and head down, which I find especially hard on breathing strokes. More video soon; it's super useful.

Sarah -- nice work yesterday! That's awful that you paced it exactly as you wanted and then had a surprise extra bit, especially with the BQ on the line. Anyway, congrats on a great race.

Neelia -- welcome! I used a modified version of the competitive plan in Be Iron Fit for my first full and loved it. I think it's a nearly perfect guide for one's first IM.

Thomas -- Per the Be Iron Fit plan, which puts a half eight weeks before the full, I tapered for the week prior to my half, with significant volume reductions for really only the last couple days before the race. I did a lot better than I expected, and was able to jump back into full volume training (at low intensity) right away. Of course, there are lots of variables and your mileage may vary. If you want to see the details, it's in my training log around the beginning of June 2011.

2015-01-26 2:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Originally posted by StevenC

Jim is the real running expert but I know from my experience last year that when I incorporated speed work into my routine, I saw the biggest improvement. Most of my running was still done at Zone 2 but every week about 25% was fast. Either a tempo run, intervals, fartlek, negative splits, etc. Are you hill workouts done for speed? If not, what is lacking in here is any work done at or below you 5K pace. Maybe incorporate a few intervals into your longer run. That way you are still able to log the miles but get some speed in as well.

I concur with the speed work. I have noticed the biggest improvements in my times when I incorporate one day of speed into my training. I'm no expert, so I don't know if maybe you would want to add more tempo/intervals for a short race like a 5K, but IMO speed is the key. Maybe other people have had success with this, but I know I have a very difficult time keeping my short distance speed up when I'm training for longer races. So, if you are set on really trying to maximize your speed for sprints you will probably have to drop some of your endurance training. Again, I'm not the expert here, but it's tough to go week after week trying to work in speed and endurance with your runs, as well as maintaining and gaining ground on the swim and bike. It will be interesting to hear what Jim has to say.

2015-01-26 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Originally posted by neweyes

Sarah -- nice work yesterday! That's awful that you paced it exactly as you wanted and then had a surprise extra bit, especially with the BQ on the line. Anyway, congrats on a great race.

Thank you! I knew my pacing was messed up from the beginning, and there were other factors that played into it, but it was a bummer. I'm pretty happy overall, though. I don't run stand alone marathons too often, so it was a lot of fun, and ended up being a PR for me. My race report is here if y'all are interested: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2015-01-26 2:26 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by StevenC
Originally posted by Ted Conroy I want to drop that time down into the 20-21:00 5k territory after the first 2 legs, but am not sure the best strategy. Right now I'm base training, and my running plan looks something like this: Monday: 30-45 minutes easy runs (9:30 pace.) Thursday: one hour Tri team hill workout (400 m hill repeats, usually includes skipping and bounding) Saturday or Sunday: Endurance run, 70-90 minutes. 10-15 minutes warmup (9:30/mile), 45 minutes at approx. 8:50-9:00/mile, 15-20 minute cool down. I am so used to running for endurance that I haven't really gotten into serious speed work in a long time. Closest I've done is Yasso 800s for the marathon back in October. What would you do? Happy Monday, everyone.

Steve is on the right track here.  As I've noted in replies to other posts about training intensities...the time-limited athlete cannot afford to ignore spending some time at intensities close to their critical power (bike) and critical velocity (run).  A 21:40 5k race result would correspond with training paces of about 7:57/mi Marathon pace and 7:25 Threshold/CV pace of 7:25.   If you lowered that 5k race result to 20:00 your M pace would be 7:17 and T pace about 6:51.  That just gives you a rough idea of the paces you need to eventually spend some time at during training to get faster.  I'm not saying to jump in and start doing intervals at those T paces.  You can start out gradually.  First introduce some strides into workouts such as doing 5 x 20" where you pick up the pace and then have 40" easy running as recovery in between.  Fartlek work can allow you to get the miles in while still introducing some faster running.  You can start off with something like running 7' @ Easy pace and 3' at M pace, alternating for the duration of your intended workout.  Build that up to 5' E and 5' M pace and then move up to something like 8' E pace and 2' T pace for the duration of the workout.  If you don't spend some time at or near your CV/threshold it will be much harder to improve. The key is to start gradually and build over a period of weeks.

2015-01-26 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

This calculator has been super useful for me in determining training paces (though I prefer HR for all but the shortest intervals).

http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm

2015-01-26 5:15 PM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Jim and Mike, thanks for your replies! The HIM will serve a couple of purposes I think, a dress rehearsal of sorts of course, but I know that I'm not the kind of person that can take it easy in a race situation. Of course, if I feel that I am really hurting too bad in the run I'm not too hardheaded to turn it back a little. I will have to count back the weeks from IM raceday with regards to the building of my long run etc. Mike I will pop over to your traininglog and check that out, interested to see how you coped.

Regarding the speedwork for running, I do a T-pace workout once a week, alternating a 20-min tempo run (plus warmup and cooldown of course) and something like 3x10 minutes with 2 min rest in between. I should add that although I will do some shorter stuff, the focus is definitely long course. But if anything, the faster stuff keeps it interesting and hopefully motivates you to go out and run

I'm gonna stick with Jack Daniels for running because it's just so straight forward with the paces. Ive yet to find out if the paces are on the money but I have a 10k on Feb 8 to test things out. Sunday I did about 4 miles worth of M-pace after 8 miles easy and I must say it feels glorious to unleash a little after keeping it easy for the first part of the long run But overall I think it's important with Daniels to validate the paces by doing races, and to not be tempted to bump up the pacing in subsequent training because it becomes too easy, I think sometimes the T-pace is not supposed to be superhard. But I'm still figuring it out as I go along. Tomorrow I'm doing 5x1k at I-pace or VO2max, interested to see how that pans out.
2015-01-26 6:29 PM

User image

This is all incredibly helpful- thanks to everyone. On 3 days a week, working speed in while keeping up that long weekend run (a selfish love) is obviously difficult. This will be a great way to start and break it in.

One thing I will say, and a lot of this most likely has to do with my lack of tempo/threshold training, is that my long distance work has always struggled to match paces on the lower end of the race mileage spectrum. Specifically the marathon. It's funny to look at just through my PRs:

1) Mile: 6:00
2) 5K: 21:40
3) 8k: 37:14
4) HM: 1:41:25
5) Marathon: 4:24:xx

I am going to start (LIGHTLY) with some light fartleks as you suggested, Jim. Train fast to go fast, I guess!

2015-01-26 6:29 PM

User image

This calculator is really helpful- appreciate it.
2015-01-26 7:18 PM
in reply to: Ted Conroy

User image

This is all incredibly helpful- thanks to everyone. On 3 days a week, working speed in while keeping up that long weekend run (a selfish love) is obviously difficult. This will be a great way to start and break it in.

One thing I will say, and a lot of this most likely has to do with my lack of tempo/threshold training, is that my long distance work has always struggled to match paces on the lower end of the race mileage spectrum. Specifically the marathon. It's funny to look at just through my PRs:

1) Mile: 6:00
2) 5K: 21:40
3) 8k: 37:14
4) HM: 1:41:25
5) Marathon: 4:24:xx

I am going to start (LIGHTLY) with some light fartleks as you suggested, Jim. Train fast to go fast, I guess!

Was the Marathon uphill the whole way . That definitely looks a bit funny. So you need to work on speed and overall fitness. The good news is that I think you will be able to do both. The fartleks will help. They suck when you are doing them though.
2015-01-26 10:11 PM
in reply to: Snaaijer

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Snaaijer I'm gonna stick with Jack Daniels for running because it's just so straight forward with the paces. 

I truly believe every runner should own Daniels'  book and read every word of it.  I see he has a 3rd edition which I haven't seen yet. And yes, base your VDOT on a recent race and use the corresponding training paces...not what your goal VDOT is.

2015-01-27 2:29 AM
in reply to: Snaaijer

User image

Hi Thomas,
Are you Dutch? Ich mann kein neiderlandisch aber ich kann Deutsch... I've been to Amsterdam a few times and lived in Germany not too far from Venlo.
Do you race in Germany?
i've done quite a few races (running) in Germany, Berlin, Hamburg, Munster, i did the HIM relay running part in Wilhelmshaven.
My american friend who lives in germany, does the relay at Roth for many years.

I actually don't have a HIM planned before my full, although the Befit recommends it. (maybe you saw the one i did this year, which i may do again but will be AFTER my Ironman) I would do a HIM before the full, but i am not sure there are any others in Colorado and the Boulder HIM is already full.
I will probably do a marathon before the ironman though, even though the Befit book recommends doing it a year prior.. I kinda know how much recovery time i need and I can usually run 2 days after a marathon.
I don't really taper much.. the Befit book has a 3 week taper and i think i will modify that to a 2 week.
That being said i'm not super fast so..
and from what i read tapering for triathlon can be either cutting back milage or speed. Being that i don't have much speed to cut back its just some milage cut back. But being that you're not just doing one sport but 3, your body can recover from your run when you swim and recover from your swim when you bike etc.

That being said last summer I did a LOT of races. usually a sprint or olympic tri AND a half marathon or very hard ride in Colorado we have mountains. ex 65 miles with 5600 feet of climbing took like 8 hours. steep grades.

I usually took mondays off after the weekend of racing (May-Sept) If i was really tired i took a rare Tuesday off.

I have not trained for a full ironman yet (and not sure i will follow Befit exactly) I couldn't find any HIM plan that i liked. Most did not have enough training in my opinion. I wanted to go at least the distance i would be racing if not further.
I barely started cycling last may at 30 miles and got up to 100 miles.
I was training for Berlin marathon so had the running down,
I only swam twice a week plus the tri's on the weekends, mainly because its not super fun for me.

most say you're not supposed to do all these races, but they are fun for me. And i feel more confident doing all 3 sports in a row with the transition and all.
Plus I love running and if i have 16-20 miles to do, i'd rather do a half marathon and get a medal and tack on miles before and after, don't have to carry water, have company, etc.. I'm not "racing" most of these events, which would obviously wear the body down more. Only the sprint tri's are too short, i feel like i need another ride or run afterwards.

All last summer i worked very hard, and was tired and sore all day, every day. I raced in tired legs every week. This was hard and discouraging, but VERY good training in my opinion. I didn't really do any other bricks, because i did the tri's and tired races on Sundays.
I sort of tapered for 2 weeks. I think i did an olympic the week before the HIM and a 100 miler 2 weeks before. i have to look at my plan, might have been 1 week before.
I think i took 1-2 full days off before the race.
I felt super great during the race, almost too good! It was hard to judge how fast to go because i felt so good, but i didn't want to burn out before i go to the run.

anyways, its late and i'm rambling!
2015-01-27 10:50 AM

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Quick question for you all regarding race leading up to IMLOU.

So the plan I am following calls for a HIM at the end of Week 22 of my 30-week plan. There are minimal half distance races nearby AND I'm trying to save money so a IM sanctioned one is out. There is a local 1/3 IM distance race (Swim 1.2 Miles, Bike 34 Miles, Run 8 Miles). Does it make sense to do this distance instead of a HIM??

2015-01-27 11:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lanzodt Quick question for you all regarding race leading up to IMLOU. So the plan I am following calls for a HIM at the end of Week 22 of my 30-week plan. There are minimal half distance races nearby AND I'm trying to save money so a IM sanctioned one is out. There is a local 1/3 IM distance race (Swim 1.2 Miles, Bike 34 Miles, Run 8 Miles). Does it make sense to do this distance instead of a HIM??

I think the 1/3 would be preferable to a HIM because of the lower demand of recovery (relatively) and less of a need to taper prior.  Although I love racing B and C races as IM prep, I think your most important prep is in the non-race training, race simulation workouts, practicing nutrition on long bikes and runs, etc.

Edited by Birkierunner 2015-01-27 11:24 AM
2015-01-27 11:24 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marathongirl21 Hi Thomas, Are you Dutch? Ich mann kein neiderlandisch aber ich kann Deutsch... I've been to Amsterdam a few times and lived in Germany not too far from Venlo. Do you race in Germany? i've done quite a few races (running) in Germany, Berlin, Hamburg, Munster, i did the HIM relay running part in Wilhelmshaven. My american friend who lives in germany, does the relay at Roth for many years. I actually don't have a HIM planned before my full, although the Befit recommends it. (maybe you saw the one i did this year, which i may do again but will be AFTER my Ironman) I would do a HIM before the full, but i am not sure there are any others in Colorado and the Boulder HIM is already full. I will probably do a marathon before the ironman though, even though the Befit book recommends doing it a year prior.. I kinda know how much recovery time i need and I can usually run 2 days after a marathon. I don't really taper much.. the Befit book has a 3 week taper and i think i will modify that to a 2 week. That being said i'm not super fast so.. and from what i read tapering for triathlon can be either cutting back milage or speed. Being that i don't have much speed to cut back its just some milage cut back. But being that you're not just doing one sport but 3, your body can recover from your run when you swim and recover from your swim when you bike etc. That being said last summer I did a LOT of races. usually a sprint or olympic tri AND a half marathon or very hard ride in Colorado we have mountains. ex 65 miles with 5600 feet of climbing took like 8 hours. steep grades. I usually took mondays off after the weekend of racing (May-Sept) If i was really tired i took a rare Tuesday off. I have not trained for a full ironman yet (and not sure i will follow Befit exactly) I couldn't find any HIM plan that i liked. Most did not have enough training in my opinion. I wanted to go at least the distance i would be racing if not further. I barely started cycling last may at 30 miles and got up to 100 miles. I was training for Berlin marathon so had the running down, I only swam twice a week plus the tri's on the weekends, mainly because its not super fun for me. most say you're not supposed to do all these races, but they are fun for me. And i feel more confident doing all 3 sports in a row with the transition and all. Plus I love running and if i have 16-20 miles to do, i'd rather do a half marathon and get a medal and tack on miles before and after, don't have to carry water, have company, etc.. I'm not "racing" most of these events, which would obviously wear the body down more. Only the sprint tri's are too short, i feel like i need another ride or run afterwards. All last summer i worked very hard, and was tired and sore all day, every day. I raced in tired legs every week. This was hard and discouraging, but VERY good training in my opinion. I didn't really do any other bricks, because i did the tri's and tired races on Sundays. I sort of tapered for 2 weeks. I think i did an olympic the week before the HIM and a 100 miler 2 weeks before. i have to look at my plan, might have been 1 week before. I think i took 1-2 full days off before the race. I felt super great during the race, almost too good! It was hard to judge how fast to go because i felt so good, but i didn't want to burn out before i go to the run. anyways, its late and i'm rambling!

Great post!  Keep on rambling!

2015-01-28 8:01 AM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Hi Neelia, yes I am Dutch I have not yet raced in Germany though, although I don't live very far form the German border (perhaps 50 miles), but it's quite rural, more races in Holland. I've heard that those races are well run and Roth is definitely on my to-do list! I do occasionally race and train in Switzerland, and will do the Ironman there in the summer.

I am starting to debate the use of a half IM 7 weeks before the full. If I would do it it would be a local one so it's not something I have to decide on soon but perhaps I'm best served with an Olympic tri instead. I will probably base it on how training is getting on.

Yesterday I did a Daniels Interval pace workout, 5x1000m with 3 minutes rest. It felt exceptionally hard, but not undoable. But I am a bit puzzled at my HR. I've been doing mostly easy pace running with some threshold running the last couple of weeks, but my highest HR in the Interval workouts was about the same as the threshold workouts, even though I run the intervals at 3:48 (6:07min/mile) and the threshold at 4:07(6:37 min/mile). So a good 30s difference, but very little difference in heart rate. If I run 20 mins at threshold I will reach just over 170, and the same for the Interval, except it will be shorter of course. If I run 1k at threshold speed (but with about 1 min rest) I get to about 166. My max is around 190. HR did recover to around 130 in the 3 mins rest during the interval pace workouts.

Is it a case of not having trained in this range of heart rate? I saw a video of Jack Daniels explaining what kind of intensity improves which facet of running. Repetition workouts (short and fast with big rest) improves speed and power, as well as running economy. Threshold improves endurance, and easy running and interval running improves the available energy. My point being, maybe I should replace the Interval workouts for repetition workouts? If I can't really run them any faster for that duration, but my HR is not going up, maybe I should instead focus more on running economy and not worry about HR so much (maybe I shouldn't worry about that so much anyway).

I do have the book (3rd edition) by the way, but I find that I am kind of picking and choosing the workouts as I'm not really doing a traditional marathon build for an Ironman, just won't get the mileage in, nor the intensity probably. But maybe time to rethink that.
2015-01-28 8:07 AM

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by lanzodt Quick question for you all regarding race leading up to IMLOU. So the plan I am following calls for a HIM at the end of Week 22 of my 30-week plan. There are minimal half distance races nearby AND I'm trying to save money so a IM sanctioned one is out. There is a local 1/3 IM distance race (Swim 1.2 Miles, Bike 34 Miles, Run 8 Miles). Does it make sense to do this distance instead of a HIM??

I think the 1/3 would be preferable to a HIM because of the lower demand of recovery (relatively) and less of a need to taper prior.  Although I love racing B and C races as IM prep, I think your most important prep is in the non-race training, race simulation workouts, practicing nutrition on long bikes and runs, etc.

Great. That's reassuring to hear because most of the stuff out there says it's necessary to have a HIM before a full. The 1/3 IM is part of a series and there are a few other of those so I may re-work my plan to accommodate 2x 1/3IM's. The only reason I want to do this is to build the confidence I need going into a full never having done anything over an Oly.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 19

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46259 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166

Started by Qua17
Views: 84559 Posts: 4130

2015-12-31 9:16 PM bgreen6252

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54324 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31