General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Really, really dumb water bottle question... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-17 2:32 PM

User image

Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Subject: Really, really dumb water bottle question...
I'm almost embarrassed to ask. Er, well, whatever. So I went for my second bike ride today. Almost threw up again (woohoo!). At least today I had real cycling shorts so it didn't look like I had ambushed a real bike rider and run off with his bike.

I have a Camelbak Podium Chill water bottle (two actually) - and my dumb question is: am I supposed to suck the water out or squeeze the water out? The later seems to work better, but I don't want to fatigue crack my bottle. Stop laughing. At least I didn't title the post: "Should I suck or squeeze?" Probably end up getting banned with that title..

Thanks for the answer to his pressing dilemma. (Don't Google it..your results will be eye popping)...

BeachAV8R

2014-12-17 2:37 PM
in reply to: BeachAV8R

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Really, really dumb water bottle question...

I don't have experience with that specific water bottle, but Camelback should have a decent warranty.  If you squeeze and squeeze and crack it, get them to replace it and then quit squeezing it.  

2014-12-17 2:40 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
It's easier to squeeze the bottle. When you're riding (or racing), it can be a pain to try to suck water from a bottle. If you're riding hard, it can interfere with breathing...

You may want to look at a hydration system (i use the torhans aero 30) that sits between your aero bars. The straw sticks straight in your face.

Good luck!
2014-12-17 2:47 PM

New user
I have a number of those water bottles, and I always squeeze to get water. I checked on their website and they list both methods, plus Camelbak claims to have a life time warranty.

I think the water bottle will get nasty in other ways long before the plastic fatigues and cracks.

PS you should have gone with your first choice for the post title.
2014-12-17 3:07 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I was gonna say something about sucking while riding but then I thought better not.

Anyway I would say squeeze, like a previous poster said, sucking could interfere with breathing.
2014-12-17 3:11 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Okay, I haven't really thought of it, but I'm sitting at my desk trying to imagine drinking water from my bike and I think I always squeeze. 

2014-12-17 3:12 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Squeeze!

I assume those are just insulated bottles which are more difficult to squeeze then a regular bottle. I just use regular bottle most of the time and replace them when they get beat up, they usually last a couple years and only cost $5-$10. The insulated bottle I only use on hot summer days or dead of winter when I don't want the water to freeze.

FYI The other heading would have gotten you 100 responses in less than an hour
2014-12-17 3:18 PM
in reply to: mike761

New user
Originally posted by mike761

Squeeze!

I assume those are just insulated bottles which are more difficult to squeeze then a regular bottle

The Podiums are very easy to squeeze, insulated or not. I love this bottle. I've given the rest of my bottles away, because I can't use them after using the Camelbak ones.
2014-12-17 4:34 PM

User image

I've always been a squeezer. I also really love the camelbak bottles.
2014-12-17 5:29 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by BeachAV8R

So I went for my second bike ride today. Almost threw up again (woohoo!).

Uhh, what? Maxxed out efforts are fun and all, but puking is not a good indicator of a quality ride.
2014-12-17 7:13 PM
in reply to: #5075387

I always squeeze the bottles and don't think they will crack.

I do have a potentially related problem with these bottles though. The liquid often squirts out from around the threads when I squeeze the bottle. Sometimes more hits my jersey than my mouth. It is really annoying. I think it was caused by over tightening. In any case, it happens with all of those bottles I have.

2014-12-17 9:09 PM
in reply to: TurtleMan77

naperville, Illinois
Originally posted by TurtleMan77

I always squeeze the bottles and don't think they will crack.

I do have a potentially related problem with these bottles though. The liquid often squirts out from around the threads when I squeeze the bottle. Sometimes more hits my jersey than my mouth. It is really annoying. I think it was caused by over tightening. In any case, it happens with all of those bottles I have.

have you been putting your bottles in the dish washer? If so, it is likely the reason it comes out the sides. If not, you must squeeze really hard.
2014-12-17 9:12 PM
in reply to: Raansnel

User image

Pro

There are no dumb water bottle questions.......only dumb water bottles.

2014-12-18 6:16 AM
in reply to: #5075450

I never put them in the dishwasher. I just attributed the problem to over tightening.
2014-12-18 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Squeeze. The only tiime you need to suck is with an aerobottle (a bottle mounted between the aerobars that comes with a plastic straw). Connecting with the straw is a bit of a maneuver until one gets used to it but the effort is no different from sipping a soft drink from a straw. The "suck" issue is one reason I don't like training with a Camelback pouch, even though it would be an easy way to carry more water on long rides. I find it hard to get the water out even on an easy ride or hike, much less when racing or doing a hard tempo ride. Anyhow, the Camelback and Polar-type bottles are pretty sturdy. I've hever had one crack, even after a couple years of use. Had a few that ejected from my bike after hitting bumps and rolled across the road; the only casualty was one that was then hit by a gravel truck.
2014-12-18 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
I actually do a bit of a combination of "squeeze and suck." Isn't that a killer visual? Most of my bottles are the insulated type and crazy hard to squeeze with one hand while steering the bike, but the way the mouthpiece is formed, if I try to get water just by sucking on it I end up getting more air than water. It's annoying. So I give the bottle as much of a squeeze as I can along with trying to suck a little. Usually I end up with a mouthful of half air, half water and water down my jersey and legs from the bottle leaking. Needless to say, I'm not a huge fan of the particular brand of bottle I seem to accumulate. My favorite are some cheapo bottles I got in the goodie bag at a mountain bike race, super thin so squeezing is easy.

2014-12-18 10:47 AM
in reply to: #5075496

User image

Im surptised how many people have a hard time squeezing insulated bottles. I dont find much difference between the teo camelbak ones
2014-12-18 11:18 AM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I also find it easier to squeeze.  Any drinking seems to mess up my breathing and heartrate but squeezing gets it done quicker.

As a "dumb" side note, how do you close the valve?  I used to push the bottle against my teeth to click it shut but got my tongue stuck in it once.  Now I bump the top against my chest to close.

2014-12-18 11:28 AM
in reply to: TurtleMan77

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by TurtleMan77 I never put them in the dishwasher. I just attributed the problem to over tightening.

This happens to me too. 

2014-12-18 12:05 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm a squeezer.  Sucking, while breathing hard, makes me almost pass out...

Man, people could really run with that quote.

2014-12-18 12:07 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by popsracer

I also find it easier to squeeze.  Any drinking seems to mess up my breathing and heartrate but squeezing gets it done quicker.

As a "dumb" side note, how do you close the valve?  I used to push the bottle against my teeth to click it shut but got my tongue stuck in it once.  Now I bump the top against my chest to close.

I bump it against the back/side of my leg on the way back down to the down tube (on the roadie).

2014-12-18 2:15 PM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

My favorite Camelbak bottle has the twist closure. So I guess I twist and squeeze

2014-12-19 6:51 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by popsracer

Once I open it I don't close it again, unless I'm on my MTB then I close it to keep the mud out.

Note: I don't use a regular bottle between the aerobars.
2014-12-20 12:36 AM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Originally posted by dfroelich

Originally posted by BeachAV8R

So I went for my second bike ride today. Almost threw up again (woohoo!).

Uhh, what? Maxxed out efforts are fun and all, but puking is not a good indicator of a quality ride.

Actually, I'd point out that puking isn't a good indicator of quality health either.. I don't anticipate my rides usually ending like that. But since it is only the second time I've actually ridden a road bike, and I'm 40 pounds overweight, I think the results were predictable. I think my main problem is that the road out of my house is quite hilly and I never have a chance to warm up. I might have to throw the bike on the roof of the car and head toward flatter terrain in these initial months of getting back into shape. I'm grateful for feeling awful though, since it reinforces how badly I needed to get into shape via any sport or activity.

And the verdict seems to be (mostly)..squeeze! Thanks..

BeachAV8R
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Really, really dumb water bottle question... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Really, really dumb question Pages: 1 2

Started by bigpaps
Views: 4762 Posts: 42

2011-08-06 5:09 PM TriMyBest

really really stupid newb question...

Started by trinoob18
Views: 1120 Posts: 7

2008-06-20 11:09 PM MaesMama

Some really dumb questions!

Started by mathsgeek
Views: 779 Posts: 5

2006-09-10 8:24 AM dredwards

Really dumb swimming/pool question

Started by kandicemcdonald
Views: 1292 Posts: 8

2005-11-02 7:28 PM piggpen35

Another Really Dumb Bike Question

Started by ABBAgirl
Views: 1193 Posts: 13

2004-07-08 12:42 AM royj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 15, 2013
author : XLAB Hydration
comments : 0
XLAB Launches the Latest Rear Single Bottle System, the DELTA 300

date : March 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?
date : February 27, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
How is water used in the body? Is bottled water better? Should I drink 8 glasses of water a day?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : September 5, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 12
When people think of hydration in the aero position, the first name that comes to mind is the Aerodrink from Profile Design. I was expecting a pretty quick and breezy review of this water bottle.
date : July 30, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
Getting the biggest bang for your buck; some low cost means of improving your performance and preventing injury.

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
Rocket Science Sports has applied its hyper-technical approach to designing a water bottle. The result is a water bottle with dimples similar to those on a golf ball.