General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Left foot falling asleep on runs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-17 3:14 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: Left foot falling asleep on runs
hello BT. I have a little problem. After 30 minutes of running, my left foot always falls asleep, I get pins and needles, like if I had been sitting on it. No real pain but very annoying, and somewhat worrying.
I don't run much longer than that (50 minutes today), but that's 20 rather uncomfortable minutes, and I wonder if it will get worse if (or when) I run longer.

It stops instantly the second I stop running.

i have stopped wearing compressions socks but it didn't help. Any ideas? Anybody else has/had this problem?

2014-12-17 3:47 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

Subject: RE: Left foot falling asleep on runs
my first thought is your shoes are to tight.
2014-12-17 3:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for the reply, that was my first thought too and I have loosened them up. Didn't help. Maybe I should change shoes, buy bigger ones

Edited by Rollergirl 2014-12-17 3:54 PM
2014-12-17 4:18 PM

I had many issues with my shoes also, the best solution for me was loose tie and no socks.
2014-12-17 4:24 PM

User image

Veteran
I used to have that happen quite a lot. Although I can't say with 100% certainty, I think changing my shoes was the thing that helped. I still get it from time to time, and now it is definitely linked to how tight my shoes/socks are.

Good luck figuring it out!
2014-12-17 4:31 PM
in reply to: melanfi

User image

If the shoe is too short, loosening the laces may not help. Its not uncommon for your feet to stretch a bit when doing more distance running, and they will swell as a run continues. I never had feet falling asleep but would often get bleeding toes from shoes that were too short. I went from an already huge size to an even bigger size when I started distance running.

2014-12-17 5:27 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

I don't know why it happens to you but I know it happened to me when I was landing on my heels. It would start with a tingling and aggravate to the point where I would not feel my foot at all. I also was running a very slow tempo and pace. Running on a slow tempo will cause you to run heavier which will cause more stress on your joints and muscles. Now, I run 180 steps per minute (multiple small step rather than long stride).

I think one or both of those issues were causing my calf to tense up very much and in the process block the blood circulation. That would be my 5 cents hypothesis. Take it for what it is worth.

Did you notice if your calf tenses up?

I read about this as well on forums but all I could find is opinions on shoes being too tight or advice to see a physician which did not work in my case. I don't have the issue anymore.
2014-12-17 5:30 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Perhaps lefty is bigger than the right?
2014-12-17 6:11 PM
in reply to: Antoine tri

User image

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Originally posted by Antoine tri

I don't know why it happens to you but I know it happened to me when I was landing on my heels. It would start with a tingling and aggravate to the point where I would not feel my foot at all. I also was running a very slow tempo and pace. Running on a slow tempo will cause you to run heavier which will cause more stress on your joints and muscles. Now, I run 180 steps per minute (multiple small step rather than long stride).

I think one or both of those issues were causing my calf to tense up very much and in the process block the blood circulation. That would be my 5 cents hypothesis. Take it for what it is worth.

Did you notice if your calf tenses up?

I read about this as well on forums but all I could find is opinions on shoes being too tight or advice to see a physician which did not work in my case. I don't have the issue anymore.

I had the same issue with my right foot. About two miles into my run my toes would start to go numb, and then within a mile or two I'd be numb up to my knee. My calves felt tight and I felt like I was pounding pretty hard on my heels, so I did the same things antoine did and now I have no more troubles. I picked up my cadence to 180, switched to a more midfoot strike, started wearing compression socks, and stretched my calves every mile in each of my runs for a few weeks.

One or all of these things seemed to help because now I can run all day without any foot numbness(different issues come into play now though). Hope things work out for you! This injury was the most frustrating thing I have ever experienced in my life, but with some effort I worked through it. If things don't work out for you after a while you might want to go to the doctors, compartment syndrome could be what you have.
2014-12-17 7:06 PM
in reply to: #5075406

When I first started running one (or sometimes both) of my feet would fall asleep. For me, it is was seemed to track with my weight. As I lost the pounds the issue largely went away. I also learned, as others have noted, that loosening my shoes helped. I started using the Lydiard lacing style. And, it helped immensely.
2014-12-17 7:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

It could be one of many things. As mentioned, shoes could be a source. Morton's neuroma, tarsal tunnel syndrome and a compartment syndrome are also possibilities that come to mind. Any history of low back pain? Calf cramping? If it stops when you stop running, highly unlikely it's a shoe issue. May need to seek medical treatment before it gets to far along in the process.

Edited by docpodjy 2014-12-17 7:40 PM

2014-12-17 9:20 PM

User image

2014-12-18 10:39 AM
in reply to: bmetjb

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for the replies guys and gals. I don't think it's a shoe issue but I'll bear it in mind if it doesn't get better.

Lower back pain, yes, calves tightness, yes. So I have decided to stretch calves and back everyday (I know how, from my physiotherapist, I'm suppsed to do it 3 times a day, but you know what it's like). We'll see what happens.

Thanks

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Left foot falling asleep on runs Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Foot falling asleep

Started by krazytallchick
Views: 1517 Posts: 10

2014-03-18 3:59 PM krazytallchick

Feet falling asleep on the bike!

Started by Trail_Runner
Views: 2775 Posts: 16

2009-01-09 4:53 PM KathyG

Foot Fall Asleep--anyone?

Started by Jbacon
Views: 1365 Posts: 12

2007-09-13 8:11 PM mandy7741

Feet Fall Asleep

Started by sealiongirl
Views: 1287 Posts: 6

2007-04-12 11:19 PM KathyG

foot falls asleep and pain while riding

Started by buckeye66
Views: 758 Posts: 8

2006-05-25 10:10 AM jackjack
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.

date : October 15, 2008
At about the 1/2 mile mark my left soleus becomes extremely tight and painful. The pain then progresses into my left arch and then into my left knee.
date : August 7, 2007
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : October 17, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Fall's also the time to shop! In fact, now's the best time to retool some of your triathlon equipment for next year, right before the Christmas season begins to jack prices upward.