General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike opinion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-17 3:27 PM

Subject: Tri bike opinion
OK been doing this sport for several years now and know my place. A happy MOP finisher. Done sprints, Olys, and my first half last year. Thinking of more HIM this year and maybe a full one day ( no time soon). Above average swimmer, avg cyclist on my road bike wo/aerobars, and slow runner. While I could improve everywhere I realize the next step besides learning to run better would probably be a tribike as I'm tired of watching everyone pass me on the road.....(who I passed in the water). Let them catch me during the run.

Considering tribike and know the drill as I've been told by many....get fitted ( places around here charge about $250 and often apply it to the bike cost if purchased in their shop...otherwise it's $250 for the knowledge of which bike is best fit for me which I can take to any shop or even try to get a bargain through third party sale)....though I've considered third party sale (craigslist etc) and then have the bike fitted to me...I know not ideal for a several k purchase.

So all things aside and assuming I have no major physical issues limiting me being fitted to a specific bike. What do people think are the best intro tribike options ( not looking for podium or Kona bound and simply won't break the bank on this one - already have '13 trek domane). Options I've considered are Cervelo P2 ('14 with 105 or '13 if i can find one with Ultegra for less $), or felt B14 ('15 with ultegra mostly). Possibly cannondale slice105. Trek speed concepts are too expensive even entry level and havn't considered specialized (hydration system is abit funny) or QR. Is cervelo with a lower level drivetrain (and more money) that much better than Felt or Cannondale with better drivetrain and less money?( Yes I've seen the Kona stats on bike and other brands present) Or bag it and just throw aerobars (what type) on my roadie and see what happens?

2014-12-17 4:05 PM
in reply to: gzh6464

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Tri bike opinion
Some good questions. Of the bikes I'm thinking the Felt B14 would be a good choice. That's what I'll be getting if some bonus $$ come my way this January. It's one of the best full carbon bikes out there for under $2,000.

In terms of performance I'm not sure how much a difference you'll see just from going from a road bike to a TT bike. Based on my own experience I can tell you that you can achieve average speeds of 22-23 mph on a road bike with aerobars at the Olympic distance but you have to put in some good training. With a Felt B14 I'm not even sure myself if I can get to 24 mph ave given the same fitness level.

What helped me get faster on the bike was buying a trainer and doing interval work over the winter. I joined a cycling focused mentor group (Power Mentor Group with Shane and Marc) here on BT and achieved some pretty good results this past summer. I didn't complete the whole plan but the work I did resulted in a 23.3 mph average at nationals (OLY) and a 21 mph average at the 70.3 distance.

But if you can afford the B14 and can train hard/ride it like you stole it then you can double dip and get some much needed speed.

If the Felt is a good fit you won't regret getting it.
2014-12-17 4:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Don't underestimate the used bike market.  If you get fit then you know what will work for you.  I've seen used carbon TT bikes go for $1500 to $2000 that would retail $3000+.

2014-12-17 5:37 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I already have a road bike and its not currently wife approved for me to buy a tri bike. I did put aero bars on my roadie and got fit ($85) in the aero position for it and I absolutely love it. I bought it used so I was never properly fit for it (and unfortunatley its a tad big for me) so being properly fit made a huge difference. I can stay in aero a lot more comfortably than I can on the hoods. I noticed a pretty big gain in speed 1-2 mph's instantly, and all of my roadie friends are jealous how much faster it made me w/o any extra training. If its in your budget and you want a tri bike I say get it! But if its not definitely at least get some aero bars for it. I'm pretty sure that everyone says tri bike is faster than a roadie w/ aero bars, but I can't give you any specifics on that.
2014-12-17 5:53 PM

User image

Kirkland, WA
The new P2 is a very good choice. The aerodynamics are not far off Cervelo's top of the line P5 when considering the frame alone, and likely almost identical with a fast aerobar. If you ever decide it is time for an upgrade look for a fast aerobar (Tririg Alpha, Ventus, Zipp Vuka Stealth). With or without a fast aerobar, the P2 is definitely an awesome entry bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike opinion Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

opinions needed.....buying new bike.....kestrel talon tri or specialized transition apex

Started by gphin305
Views: 1975 Posts: 5

2013-10-11 2:37 PM gphin305

bike opinions... NYC tri

Started by gzh6464
Views: 566 Posts: 1

2012-07-07 8:47 PM gzh6464

Opinions on Valdora Tri Bikes

Started by amills1210
Views: 1334 Posts: 7

2011-11-24 2:07 PM ramiedd

Opinions on Tri Bike and what to do

Started by birdog41
Views: 719 Posts: 7

2011-10-04 9:05 AM nickwisconsin

Tri Bike Opinion

Started by PGilger
Views: 2686 Posts: 14

2007-02-17 10:23 PM dursofd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.