BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-23 1:53 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by cdban66

That is part of the joy of bikes for me. You can be as high or low tech as you like. There are a multitude of ways to approach things, and many of these approaches work. It's when you reach the point of tying all of the aspects together that it becomes a perfect storm. Rider/equipment/course. And even then, there are variables that have an affect.

I find it all very interesting, and I am merely scratching the surface at this point.

But I don't think I could finish in the FOP without investing some $$$

Having ridden a much more expensive bike than the one I own it is VERY clear how much harder I would have to work. 

So, that being said, if you take competition out of cycling, I totally agree. 

I did get a 3rd, 7th, and 3rd overall bike split this year on a road bike. Tuck in low and power hard. The bike selection does matter, but not always as much as one thinks. There is a lot of value coming through in the lower levels and in used gear now. I do get not wanting to worry about it at all, but also wanted to note that it isn't necessarily as expensive as one might think get an ok setup. Paying attention to things like gear matter everywhere, the bike does have more parts to look at than some other things.

80% of drag comes from the person and not position.  As long as you can get into a solid race position you're already ahead of a lot of the field.

If you meant "bike" instead of the first "position" then yeah. The position of the person has a rather profound effect on the amount of drag. A number of newer bikes (most expensive included) are getting faster in their own aero tests, but are actually stacking higher than previous. Not a big deal for many as most don't go that low (which is why they stacked them higher), but for those of us that do it is an issue.

Part of why I'm still on my old P2.  Fits my odd body habitus (long torso compared to my legs - Flight Surgeon once told me, "Son, God cheated you out of your legs... But that's good as you likely won't break them BOTH when you eject").

I've found that a very aggressive position on my road bike is dang close to a comfortable position on my tri bike over the same courses (faster on some of the spikey hilly ones here, actually).  However, when I'm dialed in on the P2, it's definitely a faster rig on all but the silliest of hilliest rides.

As for the pricing thing, yes, all bikes are spendy.  No doubt and no way around needing at least some discretionary cash.  But a really solid race rig doesn't have to break the bank.  I bought my bike used (it's an '09) and a set of very nice used wheels, including a disc - and it was way less than I spent on my nice but not crazy nice roadie.  In fact, it was all in barely more than a new disc!  (my wheels are all tubies, which helped keep costs down, too).  I did add a PM, which was a large percentage of the total value, but is definitely not needed to race well (just don't tell that to The Better Half). 

The difference between an old P2 and a new superbike is in the many thousands of dollars level, but the difference in time across an oly I suspect would be well (well) under a minute for most of us - even the FOP folks.  So, one can definitely challenge the FOP with a cheap rig.  By no means a free ride, so to speak, but doesn't have to be cra-cra expensive to contend with the pointy end, IMO/E. 

Matt

I can contribute nothing to the technical bikey stuff, but I can say that I love my P2 too!! 

2015-01-23 2:05 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

It's pretty fun.

Although I like riding a bicycle in a casual manner. That IS really fun to me.

I could also see myself getting really into cyclocross or mountain biking.

Honestly the only thing I really don't like about cycling is that people can buy success. 

You can buy improvement to some degree, but that sure doesn't make you a success 

Haha ok sure. You know what I am saying though.

*Otherwise there wouldn't be multi-page threads on the rolling resistance of tires, aerodynamic qualities of waterbottles and debates on wheelsets that cost more than my cars' 

You are correct ma'am. I find it interesting when someone pops into those, drops a "ride more", and runs away. I also find all that sciencey stuff to be interesting as well, but I'm still in low $ improvement mode.

Yes, certainly.

I totally get the people that really like that stuff. Just for me, there are way too many variables for me to keep track of. I mean, have you seen my life? I think that's why simplicity of running is so appealing to me. 

But if I wanted to be competitive that stuff would absolutely matter. It's not *just* ride more in that sport. It would be irresponsible to neglect all the other stuff. And being rich would help  

I seem to recall Salty doing pretty dang well at AG Nats in spite of being on a beater road bike. I think if you (Salty) had even a decent road bike you could absolutely be competative.  You have the engine and the competative drive.

2015-01-23 2:07 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I rode my bike today, btw  

Oh snap!  Isn't it 1000000X more fun than running?!

It's pretty fun.

Honestly the only thing I really don't like about cycling is that people can buy success. 

I have been pleasantly surprised at how fun MTB can be.  I've done one cyclocross races, and it was a chaotic blast as well.  It's very laid back compared to road riding. 

I'm not sure if people can view this, but here's a video of me tackling a cyclocross obstacle:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153380979419554&pnref=story

Fun times for sure.

Good for you to give it a shot.  That looks like a really cool setting.

I didn't make it to my first race this fall.  Got a super nice CX bike (Di2, carbon, etc.) and went to some of the weekly practices that a large group do here.  Popped my calf avoiding someone who fell right in front of me as I was dismounting for an obstacle.  That kind of ended my season.  But it was a lot of fun and I discovered gravel grinding which is a good compromise.  We have some great dirt roads and gravel paths that are perfect for off road cycling.  There is a series of off road gran fondos in Eastern Washington that I want to try.

Check out the wild horse at about 30 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dGSXa2nfCPE&x-yt-ts=1421914688&x-yt-cl=84503534

2015-01-23 2:22 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

It's pretty fun.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how fun MTB can be.  I've done one cyclocross races, and it was a chaotic blast as well.  It's very laid back compared to road riding. 

I'm not sure if people can view this, but here's a video of me tackling a cyclocross obstacle:

Fun times for sure.

I didn't make it to my first race this fall.  Got a super nice CX bike (Di2, carbon, etc.) and went to some of the weekly practices that a large group do here.  Popped my calf avoiding someone who fell right in front of me as I was dismounting for an obstacle.  That kind of ended my season.  But it was a lot of fun and I discovered gravel grinding which is a good compromise.  We have some great dirt roads and gravel paths that are perfect for off road cycling.  There is a series of off road gran fondos in Eastern Washington that I want to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dGSXa2nfCPE&x-yt-ts=1421914688&x-yt-cl=84503534

My parents almost moved to Ephrata ha!

Steve have you been on the iron-horse/john Wayne/old milwaukee rr line here that parallels i90?

I run it often. Was going to load up a mountainbike and do some backcountry camping over the summer. 

https://www.evergreenmtb.org/trails/john-wayne-pioneer-trail-iron-horse-state-park

2015-01-23 3:10 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

It's pretty fun.

Fun times for sure.

That looks hella fun, and the horses were incredible!

2015-01-23 3:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Adrienne, I have not been on the ironhorse trail but I know about it.  There is a multisport race in September that uses the ironhorse for the off road cycling segment.  I've put together a team several years for the Bellingham Traverse (same series).  Last year we missed the podium by less than a minute.  Here is our super awesome team's finish photo.  Team has to rally at the end of the kayak portion for a half mile run together to the finish.  My daughter is in the shades next to me, next to her my SOL, the guy on the other end is a local legend MTB'er (a serious badazz).  Most awesome race experience of my life.  Here is also a link to the race in September.

http://www.recreationnorthwest.org/north-bend-traverse/

Edited by popsracer 2015-01-23 3:42 PM

(Bham tav.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Bham tav.jpg (48KB - 4 downloads)

2015-01-23 4:04 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Adrienne, I have not been on the ironhorse trail but I know about it.  There is a multisport race in September that uses the ironhorse for the off road cycling segment.  I've put together a team several years for the Bellingham Traverse (same series).  Last year we missed the podium by less than a minute.  Here is our super awesome team's finish photo.  Team has to rally at the end of the kayak portion for a half mile run together to the finish.  My daughter is in the shades next to me, next to her my SOL, the guy on the other end is a local legend MTB'er (a serious badazz).  Most awesome race experience of my life.  Here is also a link to the race in September.

Great picture!  Looks like you all had a lot of fun.  Did the dog race too or just join in for the run to the finish? 

2015-01-23 4:12 PM

User image

Master

It's pretty fun.

Fun times for sure.

You had me at horse.

2015-01-23 4:13 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

Fly by post to ask a completely non-related-to-anything-being-discussed question.  Has anyone used airbnb to book accomodation?  

2015-01-23 4:14 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by IronOx

Fly by post to ask a completely non-related-to-anything-being-discussed question.  Has anyone used airbnb to book accomodation?  

Yes several times. Generally really good. 

2015-01-23 4:15 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

Originally posted by laffinrock

Great picture!  Looks like you all had a lot of fun.  Did the dog race too or just join in for the run to the finish? 

Yes! And did you look at the race legs??? That's my kind of going...paddle, bike, bike, (little) run!!!

2015-01-23 4:34 PM

User image

Master

Awesome, thanks.  Copenhagen here we come 

2015-01-23 4:40 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Awesome, thanks.  Copenhagen here we come 

What an epic adventure to do an IM there.  I can't wait to hear all about it.  So cool.

2015-01-23 4:43 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by laffinrock

Yes! And did you look at the race legs??? That's my kind of going...paddle, bike, bike, (little) run!!!

Oh it doesn't end there.  This is the final leg.

icon-beer

2015-01-23 4:55 PM

User image

Master
Stacey- my bike has that set on it:105 compact 34x50 and 10s 11-28. It has done really well for me with my slightly hilly and sometimes windy rides. I do like the 15-19 range so hearing of this "sweet 16" makes me wonder what I'm missing.
2015-01-23 5:56 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Yikes, I just realized my 20 week HIM plan starts on Monday.  Time to get serious.

2015-01-23 6:17 PM
in reply to: #5075498

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Kirstin, I've used airbnb and homeaway many, many times both in & out of the country. Never had an issue.
2015-01-23 8:23 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Stacey- my bike has that set on it:105 compact 34x50 and 10s 11-28. It has done really well for me with my slightly hilly and sometimes windy rides. I do like the 15-19 range so hearing of this "sweet 16" makes me wonder what I'm missing.

I can be particular about my stuff. 

2015-01-23 10:26 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Good luck Matt, Salty, Yanti, and Hands!
2015-01-23 10:27 PM

User image

Originally posted by melbo55

Monica. Kirsten. 

RIGHT?

Hey, at least she's holding a goalie stick!  Smart woman

Hellll yes. Goalies are the best. I ALWAYS wanted to be one. 

I want to drive the Zamboni when I grow up.
2015-01-23 10:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Well that teaches me to drag my feet. I rang the shop today that had the 2014 bike in the medium. I wanted to make sure that it was together so I could go and ride it as they are nearly an hours drive away. But alas they sold it early this week. Bummer dude.

On a brighter note Phil was so over being cold in the US that he came home early so he is now sleeping soundly and thawing out on our relatively mild 87* day. I know he brought me "stuff" while he was over there and it is taking all of my will power not to go and helpfully unpack his bag while he is sleeping . There are running shoes hidden in there somewhere.

Edited by StaceyK 2015-01-23 11:14 PM

2015-01-23 10:49 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master

Originally posted by fortissimo

Originally posted by melbo55

Monica. Kirsten. 

RIGHT?

Hey, at least she's holding a goalie stick!  Smart woman

Hellll yes. Goalies are the best. I ALWAYS wanted to be one. 

I want to drive the Zamboni when I grow up

2015-01-23 10:49 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master

Originally posted by glfprncs Kirstin, I've used airbnb and homeaway many, many times both in & out of the country. Never had an issue.

Thanks. 

2015-01-23 11:14 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Damn! In that weather ... like, outside?

I still think of you riding that "crappy-azz" (really not crappy azz at all, it's a great bike! Talk about endurance, dependability, stability) bike at Nationals

ETA Ah-ha-ha, someone beat me to this comment, was it Kirstiron?

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2015-01-23 11:14 PM
2015-01-23 11:33 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Melon Presser

GO HANDS-MARIE!!!
GO SALTY!!! Make that volcano your byotch ... or dizzying partner, whatever!
GO McMANATEE!!!

And DLers ... {MELON PRESS}

I'm definitely not swimming on Monday! I'm not even in Perth yet. Actually the bigger issue is I've barely gotten back in the water and am not up to the full breadth or depth in workouts yet either ... even just 5K would be a struggle for me at this point, mainly because my R shoulder (which took up most of the work the elbow needed to do while it was healing) wound up getting effed up too and is just calming down.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54324 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.