BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-26 9:11 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by msteiner

Hope all the racers killed it last weekend.

Finished stage 3 of ToS this morning.  It's gonna be a long week.

I've been dropped already. Didn't do it yesterday because of a hangover. I set my alarm to get up early to catch the window but slept through it. Gutted. Might still carry on with it, just with less pressure on the time constraints :-)

2015-01-26 9:21 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Happy Belated Australia day to those down under!

Will try and read the last 10 pages tonight.... kinda missed a lot over the weekend by the look of it!
2015-01-26 10:10 AM
in reply to: SteveyD

User image

Master

Two sick littles, one on the upswing and one going south. I need to open all the windows for some fresh air. They think watching Hook and playing Skip-Bo will help them feel better. Hmmmm...fingers crossed as I test their theory.

2015-01-26 10:19 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Two sick littles, one on the upswing and one going south. I need to open all the windows for some fresh air. They think watching Hook and playing Skip-Bo will help them feel better. Hmmmm...fingers crossed as I test their theory.

Aw, hope they feel better soon and that you and J don't get it too.

2015-01-26 10:28 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario

Hope they feel better we had our battles with all three kids before Christmas and ourselves. It was a rough couple of months with the youngest.
2015-01-26 10:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Hey, manatees!  Weekend wrap-up, Reader's Digest style! 

Sat: 5" of wet, heavy snow.  Shoveling our house and Dad's. 6 mile run.  Lunch with Dad.  Ice hockey (playing).  We won!  

Sun: Doing mountains of wash.  Lunch with Dad.  Biking on the drainer while watching NHL All-Star game. 

Today: Woke up to more snow, at least it was only 3" and it was light and fluffy.  More snow expected later today/tonight which could get dicey with the wind/drifting, but nothing like NYC and areas east of me.  I haven't looked at the map, but I'd expect Randee is going to get blasted.  Dad gets his platelets rechecked - he was critically low on Thurs and needed a platelet transfusion (no chemo given, obviously).

Also, I'm down to hardly any temporary filling in my problem bicuspid. 3 pieces fell out over 4 days, so I'm on a very careful diet of soft foods that I can eat with only the left side of my mouth.

Edited by melbo55 2015-01-26 10:34 AM

2015-01-26 10:33 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hope the little dears are better soon!

2015-01-26 10:38 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Sat: 5" of wet, heavy snow.  Shoveling our house and Dad's. 6 mile run.  Lunch with Dad.  Ice hockey (playing).  We won!  

Sun: Doing mountains of wash.  Lunch with Dad.  Biking on the drainer while watching NHL All-Star game. 

Today: Woke up to more snow, at least it was only 3" and it was light and fluffy.  More snow expected later today/tonight which could get dicey with the wind/drifting, but nothing like NYC and areas east of me.  I haven't looked at the map, but I'd expect Randee is going to get blasted.  Dad gets his platelets rechecked - he was critically low on Thurs and needed a platelet transfusion (no chemo given, obviously).

Also, I'm down to hardly any temporary filling in my problem bicuspid. 3 pieces fell out over 4 days, so I'm on a very careful diet of soft foods that I can eat with only the left side of my mouth.

Lucky Randee is here in CO skiing all week. 

Good job this weekend.  Looks like you were plenty busy but still managed to get in some training.  Hope your Dad's platelets rebound soon.  I'm sure that's rough for you to deal with.  I'm so glad you're able to spend so much time with him.  Hope you can get that tooth taken care of soon!!

2015-01-26 10:54 AM

User image

Seattle

Ah man, positive thoughts on the not so good stuff and congrats on the hockey game! 

2015-01-26 10:59 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Ah man, positive thoughts on the not so good stuff and congrats on the hockey game! 

Heyyyyy, how'd it go???

2015-01-26 11:01 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by jobaxas Happy Straya Day to those over in Straya! Traditional Australia Day swim for me - was a little nervous as I haven't been swim training and last year I struggled with my broken wrist injury. Anyway conditions were hideous, cold windy choppy and filthy water. Never got any space, the waves behind were swimming all over us today - maybe they left less of a gap not sure. BUT all of those distractions meant i never freaked out! Loved it, I finally feel like the fitness is coming back. Been running lots too. Just got to win the stare down with my bike….

Those look like some tough swim conditions.  Good for you to brave it and glad to hear the fitness coming back.  I finally won the stare down with my bike it's the pool I've struggled with.

2015-01-26 11:02 AM

User image

Seattle

We made it to the summit. It was an incredible amount of work carrying my board and gear whilst hiking in snowboard boots (NOT ideal) but my run down was EPIC. You can see my track down the glacier and into the snow field. 

And here are Rainier, Adams and Hood, respectively from the crater's rim

2015-01-26 11:07 AM

User image

Melon Presser

We made it to the summit. It was an incredible amount of work carrying my board and gear whilst hiking in snowboard boots (NOT ideal) but my run down was EPIC. You can see my track down the glacier and into the snow field. 

CONGRATULATIONS SALTY!!!

Stunning photos and achievement. And carrying all that crap too!

2015-01-26 11:12 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

That's great that you're spending time with your Dad.  I am sure he really appreciates it.  How are his white blood cell counts?  Critical to watch those carefully and don't let him around anyone sick.

My son is begging for snow so we are envious of you east coasters.  My sister lives in Connecticut and she said they were preparing for a lot of snow. 

2015-01-26 11:17 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Stunning photos.  What an awesome day that must have been.  Glad to hear you made it safely.

2015-01-26 11:24 AM

User image

Master

So cool! Followed your trip on IG. Sunrise was my favorite...or the board shot.

2015-01-26 11:26 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

As the east gets all the snow, we have had a heat wave for this time of year.  It was 61 degrees and sunny on my run yesterday.  Had two good runs this weekend.  12 miler on Saturday and a hill climb on Saturday.  1,000 feet of elevation gain in two miles.  While the climb is just a painful slog I focused on form going back down.  I find that this is the only situation that gains from a departure of my normal, natural stride.  My tendency is to take long gliding strides but that seems to generate a lot of braking and my speed is nowhere near what I think it should be.  I've experimented with taking much shorter strides with a very high cadence.  I'm finding this to be much faster and also safer as I'm not putting as much pressure on each footfall.

Here is the sunset from my backyard.  It was amazing. 

(P1010004.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
P1010004.JPG (767KB - 3 downloads)
2015-01-26 11:52 AM

User image

Master

Originally posted by popsracer

As the east gets all the snow, we have had a heat wave for this time of year.  It was 61 degrees and sunny on my run yesterday.  Had two good runs this weekend.  12 miler on Saturday and a hill climb on Saturday.  1,000 feet of elevation gain in two miles.  While the climb is just a painful slog I focused on form going back down.  I find that this is the only situation that gains from a departure of my normal, natural stride.  My tendency is to take long gliding strides but that seems to generate a lot of braking and my speed is nowhere near what I think it should be.  I've experimented with taking much shorter strides with a very high cadence.  I'm finding this to be much faster and also safer as I'm not putting as much pressure on each footfall.

Yes. We have very loose shale and sandstone on many sections of our trails. Shorter and quicker helps avoid the slide n fall.

Gorgeous sunset! Ours was amazing last night, too. Stopped a few times on my ride to snap some pics. The sky was on fire.

2015-01-26 12:06 PM

User image

Seattle

Yep, short and quick, up and down. For down, hands near the hips to keep knees from coming up too high

*I think of it like shifting into a really easy gear on a bike to go up a big hill

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-01-26 12:06 PM
2015-01-26 12:07 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

CONGRATULATIONS SALTY!!!

Stunning photos and achievement. And carrying all that crap too!

Thanks! And probably the bigger feat, for all my mountaineering is working to conquer...or at least subdue (not sure of the right word), my fear of heights. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-01-26 12:08 PM
2015-01-26 12:19 PM

User image

Seattle

Stunning photos.  What an awesome day that must have been.  Glad to hear you made it safely.

Yeah...there were some sketchy things. Luckily the snow pack was low because there was pretty high avy danger for wet slides. I saw plenty of evidence, especially on my ride down. Our travel was just about exclusively out of avalanche terrain (up on the ridges and whatnot) but there were some short periods of my descent where I was a little exposed.

I took a really wide route out near the glacier where I saw a pretty big exposed crevasse. I also saw a HUGE avy fissure. A guy was walking, solo, right over it and downhill of it! I yelled at him and he shrugged me off. Seriously, WTF? I don't even think he knew what it was or what it meant. 

My adrenaline was definitely pumping and as fun as the ride down was, I was glad to not be in any kind of danger anymore. 

2015-01-26 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yeah...there were some sketchy things. Luckily the snow pack was low because there was pretty high avy danger for wet slides. I saw plenty of evidence, especially on my ride down. Our travel was just about exclusively out of avalanche terrain (up on the ridges and whatnot) but there were some short periods of my descent where I was a little exposed.

I took a really wide route out near the glacier where I saw a pretty big exposed crevasse. I also saw a HUGE avy fissure. A guy was walking, solo, right over it and downhill of it! I yelled at him and he shrugged me off. Seriously, WTF? I don't even think he knew what it was or what it meant. 

My adrenaline was definitely pumping and as fun as the ride down was, I was glad to not be in any kind of danger anymore. 

Wow, that's how people get buried and/or killed. So glad you had fun and stayed safe!

2015-01-26 12:39 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Steve and Salty - those pics are amazing and wonderful!  Salty - incredible accomplishment!

Dad's blood work does involve watching the white cells, too.  I stayed away from him for about a week (and hated every minute of it) when I was sick recently.  I've been waiting semi-patiently for the update from my sister who was taking him for the bloodwork but haven't heard back from her yet.  Their original plan was to go around lunchtime, so I thought they'd be done by now.

Edited to add update: apparently since my sister and dad went to one of the satellite locations and not the Cancer Institute, they didn't give the results of the bloodwork right away, so as of now we have no update on his blood count.

Edited by melbo55 2015-01-26 1:10 PM
2015-01-26 12:58 PM

User image

Seattle

Ok. One more thing from my trip and I will stop blabbing about it.

Before climbed Mt. Adams last year we were in the parking lot getting our gear ready. Two girls came down who had just reached the summit. We chatted with them for a bit about how their trip was and what our plans were etc. Anyway, they put away their gear changed their shoes etc. (hiking/mountaineering boots suck.) They ended up driving off and leaving their boots sitting in the parking lot. With some semi-creepy instagram stalking we ended up tracking the girls down and I mailed them their shoes back. It turns out the girl is this crazy multi-PCT thu hiker who has also traveled across the US hopping trains. 

Anyway, we follow each-other on instagram or whatever but aren't exactly friends or anything. 

On the way up, we run into the two same girls! I didn't realize it at first and we were chatting and I was just staring at her. But the odds of that actually happening? So I didn't say anything as it was just a passing thought. Anyway she sees one of my photos on instagram and was like, ""do you think it was those same three women that we saw at Mt. Adams?" and then we were like- no! It couldn't have been! But it turns out it was!"

How crazy is that??? We don't even live in the same state. 

2015-01-26 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ok. One more thing from my trip and I will stop blabbing about it.

Before climbed Mt. Adams last year we were in the parking lot getting our gear ready. Two girls came down who had just reached the summit. We chatted with them for a bit about how their trip was and what our plans were etc. Anyway, they put away their gear changed their shoes etc. (hiking/mountaineering boots suck.) They ended up driving off and leaving their boots sitting in the parking lot. With some semi-creepy instagram stalking we ended up tracking the girls down and I mailed them their shoes back. It turns out the girl is this crazy multi-PCT thu hiker who has also traveled across the US hopping trains. 

Anyway, we follow each-other on instagram or whatever but aren't exactly friends or anything. 

On the way up, we run into the two same girls! I didn't realize it at first and we were chatting and I was just staring at her. But the odds of that actually happening? So I didn't say anything as it was just a passing thought. Anyway she sees one of my photos on instagram and was like, ""do you think it was those same three women that we saw at Mt. Adams?" and then we were like- no! It couldn't have been! But it turns out it was!"

How crazy is that??? We don't even live in the same state. 

that's awesome!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54309 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.