BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-26 1:04 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Ok. One more thing from my trip and I will stop blabbing about it.

Before climbed Mt. Adams last year we were in the parking lot getting our gear ready. Two girls came down who had just reached the summit. We chatted with them for a bit about how their trip was and what our plans were etc. Anyway, they put away their gear changed their shoes etc. (hiking/mountaineering boots suck.) They ended up driving off and leaving their boots sitting in the parking lot. With some semi-creepy instagram stalking we ended up tracking the girls down and I mailed them their shoes back. It turns out the girl is this crazy multi-PCT thu hiker who has also traveled across the US hopping trains. 

Anyway, we follow each-other on instagram or whatever but aren't exactly friends or anything. 

On the way up, we run into the two same girls! I didn't realize it at first and we were chatting and I was just staring at her. But the odds of that actually happening? So I didn't say anything as it was just a passing thought. Anyway she sees one of my photos on instagram and was like, ""do you think it was those same three women that we saw at Mt. Adams?" and then we were like- no! It couldn't have been! But it turns out it was!"

How crazy is that??? We don't even live in the same state. 

That is one crazy coincidence!

2015-01-26 1:09 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by melbo55

Hey, manatees!  Weekend wrap-up, Reader's Digest style! 

Sat: 5" of wet, heavy snow.  Shoveling our house and Dad's. 6 mile run.  Lunch with Dad.  Ice hockey (playing).  We won!  

Sun: Doing mountains of wash.  Lunch with Dad.  Biking on the drainer while watching NHL All-Star game. 

Today: Woke up to more snow, at least it was only 3" and it was light and fluffy.  More snow expected later today/tonight which could get dicey with the wind/drifting, but nothing like NYC and areas east of me.  I haven't looked at the map, but I'd expect Randee is going to get blasted.  Dad gets his platelets rechecked - he was critically low on Thurs and needed a platelet transfusion (no chemo given, obviously).

Also, I'm down to hardly any temporary filling in my problem bicuspid. 3 pieces fell out over 4 days, so I'm on a very careful diet of soft foods that I can eat with only the left side of my mouth.

That's great that you're spending time with your Dad.  I am sure he really appreciates it.  How are his white blood cell counts?  Critical to watch those carefully and don't let him around anyone sick.

My son is begging for snow so we are envious of you east coasters.  My sister lives in Connecticut and she said they were preparing for a lot of snow. 

Channeling any good karma I have at my disposal to your dad and you.

Talked with my family around Boston and they're bracing for some heavy shyte!  (with the usual, "If you can believe anything the weatherman says;"  "How can you tell a weatherman is lying? His lips are moving" comments)

Matt

2015-01-26 1:12 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Ok. One more thing from my trip and I will stop blabbing about it.

Before climbed Mt. Adams last year we were in the parking lot getting our gear ready. Two girls came down who had just reached the summit. We chatted with them for a bit about how their trip was and what our plans were etc. Anyway, they put away their gear changed their shoes etc. (hiking/mountaineering boots suck.) They ended up driving off and leaving their boots sitting in the parking lot. With some semi-creepy instagram stalking we ended up tracking the girls down and I mailed them their shoes back. It turns out the girl is this crazy multi-PCT thu hiker who has also traveled across the US hopping trains. 

Anyway, we follow each-other on instagram or whatever but aren't exactly friends or anything. 

On the way up, we run into the two same girls! I didn't realize it at first and we were chatting and I was just staring at her. But the odds of that actually happening? So I didn't say anything as it was just a passing thought. Anyway she sees one of my photos on instagram and was like, ""do you think it was those same three women that we saw at Mt. Adams?" and then we were like- no! It couldn't have been! But it turns out it was!"

How crazy is that??? We don't even live in the same state. 

That is one crazy coincidence!

Wow - very cool! 

And the pictures!  Just gorgeous. 

Glad you had a blast (and an adrenaline fix and are safe). 

Matt

2015-01-26 3:53 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by msteiner

Hope all the racers killed it last weekend.

Finished stage 3 of ToS this morning.  It's gonna be a long week.

I've been dropped already. Didn't do it yesterday because of a hangover. I set my alarm to get up early to catch the window but slept through it. Gutted. Might still carry on with it, just with less pressure on the time constraints :-)

The last 7' interval for Fight Club was a mess, but I survived stage 3.

That's a great excuse, by the way.  :-)

2015-01-26 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

We made it to the summit. It was an incredible amount of work carrying my board and gear whilst hiking in snowboard boots (NOT ideal) but my run down was EPIC. You can see my track down the glacier and into the snow field. 

And here are Rainier, Adams and Hood, respectively from the crater's rim

Stunning photos.  What an awesome day that must have been.  Glad to hear you made it safely.

Yeah...there were some sketchy things. Luckily the snow pack was low because there was pretty high avy danger for wet slides. I saw plenty of evidence, especially on my ride down. Our travel was just about exclusively out of avalanche terrain (up on the ridges and whatnot) but there were some short periods of my descent where I was a little exposed.

I took a really wide route out near the glacier where I saw a pretty big exposed crevasse. I also saw a HUGE avy fissure. A guy was walking, solo, right over it and downhill of it! I yelled at him and he shrugged me off. Seriously, WTF? I don't even think he knew what it was or what it meant. 

My adrenaline was definitely pumping and as fun as the ride down was, I was glad to not be in any kind of danger anymore. 

What did you do to protect the wheels and how are they now?
2015-01-26 5:14 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by tcarlson78

We made it to the summit. It was an incredible amount of work carrying my board and gear whilst hiking in snowboard boots (NOT ideal) but my run down was EPIC. You can see my track down the glacier and into the snow field. 

Stunning photos.  What an awesome day that must have been.  Glad to hear you made it safely.

Yeah...there were some sketchy things. Luckily the snow pack was low because there was pretty high avy danger for wet slides. I saw plenty of evidence, especially on my ride down. Our travel was just about exclusively out of avalanche terrain (up on the ridges and whatnot) but there were some short periods of my descent where I was a little exposed.

I took a really wide route out near the glacier where I saw a pretty big exposed crevasse. I also saw a HUGE avy fissure. A guy was walking, solo, right over it and downhill of it! I yelled at him and he shrugged me off. Seriously, WTF? I don't even think he knew what it was or what it meant. 

My adrenaline was definitely pumping and as fun as the ride down was, I was glad to not be in any kind of danger anymore. 

Bah. So on the lead-up, I was really good. Applying and reapplying antibiotic cream on them until the day we left. Then I scored a bunch of gauze pads and antibiotic cream that I fully intended to put on my heels then tape (or mole skin) over it. But what I failed to do was actually apply everything and started the hike without it.

Needless to say I have some bloody ripped up heels and running and walking kind of sucks. But it's my own damn fault so I just have to suffer through it and keep them covered all week so they can recover. 

dumb

2015-01-26 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

Bah. So on the lead-up, I was really good. Applying and reapplying antibiotic cream on them until the day we left. Then I scored a bunch of gauze pads and antibiotic cream that I fully intended to put on my heels then tape (or mole skin) over it. But what I failed to do was actually apply everything and started the hike without it.

Needless to say I have some bloody ripped up heels and running and walking kind of sucks. But it's my own damn fault so I just have to suffer through it and keep them covered all week so they can recover. 

dumb

tisk tisk tisk. There will be NO repeat NO DL for you this week! Manatee up.
2015-01-26 9:11 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

Master
Northern IL

dumb

Tsk tsk indeed!

2015-01-27 7:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

dumb

Edited by jmhpsu93 2015-01-27 8:21 AM
2015-01-27 8:13 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by brigby1

dumb

Tsk tsk indeed!

Nooooo!  Heal up!

2015-01-27 8:46 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

dumb

Tsk tsk indeed!

Nooooo!  Heal up!

Punny!

2015-01-27 9:04 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Melon Presser

I would join in on the Salty dogpile, but there are living Manatees who have dealt with the bodily wreckage of my stupidity (and my husband's, which tough to believe is EVEN WORSE!) in the wake of a big event, so ... I probably should just

2015-01-27 9:48 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Lots going on in the lives of the Manatees with parents, wayward kindegarteners (boys will be boys), injuries and such. I've been keeping up via email and praying for you and yours.

I've been lost in the cacophony of feeling and thought in my head. DS2 leaves for basic training in two weeks. This is not his first time living away from home and I know he will excel in all of it (he always does). But damn I'm gonna miss him. Of the two boys he's more like me. Likes running, wine, coffee, healthy food etc etc etc. He's my partner in crime in sneaking healthy food in to the normal family diet. So hard to let them go sometimes.

2015-01-27 10:08 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by rrrunner

Lots going on in the lives of the Manatees with parents, wayward kindegarteners (boys will be boys), injuries and such. I've been keeping up via email and praying for you and yours.

I've been lost in the cacophony of feeling and thought in my head. DS2 leaves for basic training in two weeks. This is not his first time living away from home and I know he will excel in all of it (he always does). But damn I'm gonna miss him. Of the two boys he's more like me. Likes running, wine, coffee, healthy food etc etc etc. He's my partner in crime in sneaking healthy food in to the normal family diet. So hard to let them go sometimes.

Aw Teej {MELON PRESS}

This makes me so wistful I almost can't make an inappropriate comment about his hotness.

I just do not have the cojovaries for human children. You and all the Manatee parents are awe-inspiring.

2015-01-27 10:09 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by jmkizer

Nooooo!  Heal up!

Punny!

Nice catch!  Even I didn't see it.

2015-01-27 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Aw Teej {MELON PRESS}

This makes me so wistful I almost can't make an inappropriate comment about his hotness.

I just do not have the cojovaries for human children. You and all the Manatee parents are awe-inspiring.

Yeah... just wait till I post a picture of him in uniform

2015-01-27 10:17 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Nooooo!  Heal up!

Punny!

Nice catch!  Even I didn't see it.

Where is Mary, our resident word-smith, when we need her.

2015-01-27 10:27 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Aww, he does sound like a great partner in crime/wine/running, etc., but if he is like you in other ways, he will acknowledge and appreciate you by keeping in touch regularly.  It won't be the same as him being there, but it will help.  So he'd better do it!   Is it possible to plan an event to do together once he returns that you both can be looking forward to?

2015-01-27 10:35 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Aww, he does sound like a great partner in crime/wine/running, etc., but if he is like you in other ways, he will acknowledge and appreciate you by keeping in touch regularly.  It won't be the same as him being there, but it will help.  So he'd better do it!   Is it possible to plan an event to do together once he returns that you both can be looking forward to?

It'll be pretty much radio silence while he's in baic (till mid April) but after that he'll be in Charleston for about 2 years. We plan to try to do a few of the "biggies" while he's on the east coast.

2015-01-27 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

It'll be pretty much radio silence while he's in baic (till mid April) but after that he'll be in Charleston for about 2 years. We plan to try to do a few of the "biggies" while he's on the east coast.

Hearing this, my heart breaks a little and at the same time swells for you and yours.  Just thinking about my oldest leaving in 3 years twists my gut, but at the same time it's all I've ever wanted for the kiddos - to grow into adults in the big, wide world.  All the best for success and happiness to yours (although Basic will NOT feel that way for the first couple weeks!). 

<sigh>

I'm gonna tear up at work, now (but in a manly way, of course).  Thanks. 

Matt

2015-01-27 10:45 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Aw Teej {MELON PRESS}

Yeah... just wait till I post a picture of him in uniform

When it comes, don't make me beg.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ

2015-01-27 10:47 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Hearing this, my heart breaks a little and at the same time swells for you and yours.  Just thinking about my oldest leaving in 3 years twists my gut, but at the same time it's all I've ever wanted for the kiddos - to grow into adults in the big, wide world.  All the best for success and happiness to yours (although Basic will NOT feel that way for the first couple weeks!). 

Matt

I admit to being heartless. Empty Nest rocks!

I love my kids, but time with TW has been a true joy!

2015-01-27 10:56 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

Matt

I admit to being heartless. Empty Nest rocks!

I love my kids, but time with TW has been a true joy!

The last time our "nest" was empty it drove me nutz so we took in the hockey kids. No fear of an empty nest at this point though. We still have DS1 in his dead-end low paying job

2015-01-27 11:02 AM

User image

Salty, those are some pretty sweet pictures!  I went on a backpacking trip to new mexico in 2008 and will have to find some pictures from the mountain we climbed...

Had a busy weekend doing things around the house and replacing spark plugs on the wife's truck.  Those two in the back are always a pain in the REAR!  Luckily this fixed a misfiring cylinder...can't wait to get rid of this truck!

My swimming is slowly improving!  Keeping my head down has been difficult because I keep wanting to look forward, but when I do it correctly (even looking backwards a little bit?) my feet stay up and I swim significantly faster!  Running is slowly developing.  The weather has been rough so there has been a decent amount of time spent on the treadmill but I have had a couple days end with outdoor runs...Here are some pictures 

2015-01-27 11:04 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Matt

We've been through the kids moving away many times. DS1 has moved out... at least 3 times. DS2 went away to college and was even in Hong Kong for a year. I've just gotten accustomed to having him home again. I like my kids, they are fun to have around. But I couldn't be more proud of this step. Everytime I see something Navy related I burst with pride and tear up at the same time.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54088 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.