General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Substituting power for HR Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-18 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
Subject: Substituting power for HR
My coach has always given me a zone to do my workouts at. Most times, I'm using power on my bike, but occasionally I ride my road bike so I go by HR. Zone 2 has always meant zone 2, whether I am using my power zone 2 or my HR zone 2. Both have been determined by testing.

Someone is recently telling me that you can't substitute power zones into a training plan intended for HR training, but I can't find any information anywhere that agrees with this. In my training, a zone is a zone whether I'm watching my power or my HR. Have I been misunderstanding things? I'm currently on hold with my coach for the off-season, so it's not something that affects me right now, but it has me curious.

Thanks!

2014-12-18 8:20 AM
in reply to: erincs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Substituting power for HR
you can absolutely use HR if you have properly set up your zones and you understand the limitations of HR

for example, it's really hard to do short/hard intervals with a HR so doing VO2 type intervals can be hard

But for long intervals, especially riding well up int Z3 I find it works really well. I did spend a lot of time refining my HR zones to line them up better.
I did this because when travelling I only had access to gym bikes

Maintaining stress scores, PMC charts etc has its challenges but can all be overcome
There are tools to assist in figuring this stuff out if you are interested.
2014-12-18 8:39 AM
in reply to: erincs

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Substituting power for HR

You can go back & forth with HR and power zones. What you'd want to be careful of doing is using the same percentages to establish the zones. See Table 1 here. At threshold (in Z4) they come together, but farther away (like Z2) they don't match up. HR doesn't go to zero when you stop. Perhaps this is what the other person meant.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Substituting power for HR Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

LT/AT/HR/Power training books...

Started by Kido
Views: 473 Posts: 2

2010-03-23 1:45 PM running2far

2010 Mentor Advice for HR & Power?

Started by MaverickNH
Views: 452 Posts: 1

2009-11-26 10:08 AM MaverickNH

Aero position HR & Power

Started by Plissken74
Views: 1811 Posts: 16

2009-02-15 3:31 PM Plissken74

What to do with HR and power info?

Started by joker70
Views: 949 Posts: 8

2008-07-24 7:06 PM csibona

Max HR - substituting 5k for TT

Started by tim_edwards
Views: 436 Posts: 3

2005-09-01 5:17 PM mikericci
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.

date : March 4, 2009
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : November 28, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.