Other Resources The Political Joe » Cuba announcement Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-18 10:50 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: Cuba announcement

To me it is about time.  An outdated policy that has less and less support each year.  

2014-12-18 11:04 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Cuba announcement

Originally posted by crowny2

To me it is about time.  An outdated policy that has less and less support each year.  

I agree.  I'm trying to figure out why everyone in Havana is happy but everyone in Miami is pissed off.  Do the people in Miami feel like they took a boat ride for nothing now?  What's the problem?

2014-12-18 11:17 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Left Brain

I agree.  I'm trying to figure out why everyone in Havana is happy but everyone in Miami is pissed off.  Do the people in Miami feel like they took a boat ride for nothing now?  What's the problem?

I've read that a vast majority of Cuban American's are for this and that it is really just the old guard, mainly those in Miami, that are against it.  

2014-12-18 11:39 AM

User image

I've read that a vast majority of Cuban American's are for this and that it is really just the old guard, mainly those in Miami, that are against it.  

It seems to me that embargos are not a very effective means of spreading democracy.

But politics aside, I am looking forward to visiting the country one day.
2014-12-18 12:58 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Champion

Is it possible that we have consensus in Political Joe on this one?  Anyone NOT agree with getting rid of the embargo?

2014-12-18 4:00 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

Is it possible that we have consensus in Political Joe on this one?  Anyone NOT agree with getting rid of the embargo?

I think we need a Canadian to chime in. Many of them were upset because they are afraid there cheap vacation spot will now be ruined by Americans. They are also worried the price of cigars will go up.

2014-12-19 9:00 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Oakville

I think we need a Canadian to chime in. 

I've been to Cuba several times and actually was married there in a beach resort near Holguin.  BUT despite being relatively cheap, you do need to be tolerant as the quality of some of the resorts can be quite low. 

Early this spring we took our kids to the all-inclusive resort we were married at and for the 4 of us (2 adults and a 4 and a 6 year old), it was $2,800 all in.

The beach, the resort itself and the Cuban rum and beer were all fantastic, but the food was, to be blunt, lousy.  

I expect that the quality of the food will improve as the embargo is lifted, but that will also mean higher prices.

My first trip was almost 15 years ago to Manzanillo, which is on the south-eastern coast of Cuba about 100 miles from Guantanamo Bay.  I was talking with one of the waiters at the hotel and asked what he thought about having a US military base on Cuba soil.

He gave me a really strange look and said that "There is no American base in Cuba".  

The government does a really good job of suppressing information, particularly when it comes to the US.

2014-12-19 9:10 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

I think its about time as well.  Looks like we are in agreement!

Look forward to visiting the country some day. 

2014-12-19 9:49 AM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I hope Congress will see fit to lift the embargo, but I suspect that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

2014-12-19 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Agree with the crowd, long overdue. Would love to visit sooner rather than later before things get all modern and such...
2014-12-19 3:31 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm outraged...   lol, just kidding.

When I heard the announcement I wasn't really sure what I thought, because I didn't care one way or the other.  However, after digging into the history a little (mostly out of curiosity) I think it's pretty obvious that it's a stupid embargo and served no purpose.

There are corrupt regimes all over the world, so to single out Cuba seems a little weird in my opinion.

So, good job Mr. President for having the Cojones to fix this.

2014-12-19 5:49 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

Dude....you are such a disappointment today.

2014-12-20 5:33 PM

New user

I had a neighbor when I was a kid in New Orleans who was Cuban. His family were land owners and farmers who were fairly well off before the Castro revolution. Everything they had was taken and he was the only one in his family that escaped and survived. I guess those whose family members were murdered by Castro when he came into power would still have a "problem".
2014-12-22 9:59 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Dude....you are such a disappointment today.

hehe, I'll try harder next time.  

2014-12-22 10:02 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by NXS

I had a neighbor when I was a kid in New Orleans who was Cuban. His family were land owners and farmers who were fairly well off before the Castro revolution. Everything they had was taken and he was the only one in his family that escaped and survived. I guess those whose family members were murdered by Castro when he came into power would still have a "problem".

I can't remember where I read it, but somebody spoke of iPhones and the internet as the best weapon against regimes like Castro.  When we isolate them, it allows them to "be isolated" and maintain the control over the people for even longer.
Personally, I look more at the people who still live in Cuba vs. the people who have escaped.  I think it's hard to fathom their lives not being improved with the embargo lifted.

2014-12-22 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I hope it would make there lives better. I can not see it making it worse. Hopefully the money that ideally pours in will get to the people but you never know.

2014-12-22 10:29 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by chirunner134

I hope it would make there lives better. I can not see it making it worse. Hopefully the money that ideally pours in will get to the people but you never know.

I suspect it will be a lot like the Soviet Union when communism collapsed. Overall, the net effect will be positive-- more opportunity for everyone, economic growth, more jobs, etc. There's probably a lot of corruption already, so the money rolling in with what I'm sure will be little to no governmental oversight will lend itself to even more and bigger corruption. You'll have a lot of Castro cronies who will become bazillionaires overnight by explointing the economic growth for their own personal gain.

I wonder what, if anything, this means for the Marines at GTMO. The guys on the other side of the barbed wire aren't the enemy anymore.
2014-12-22 10:32 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro

My self-imposed embargo on smoking a cigar now and then will also soon be lifted.

2014-12-22 11:15 AM

New user

Originally posted by NXS

I can't remember where I read it, but somebody spoke of iPhones and the internet as the best weapon against regimes like Castro.  When we isolate them, it allows them to "be isolated" and maintain the control over the people for even longer.
Personally, I look more at the people who still live in Cuba vs. the people who have escaped.  I think it's hard to fathom their lives not being improved with the embargo lifted.

I honestly have no opinion either way, just trying to explain why some may have serious problems with the POTUS decision.
2014-12-22 12:28 PM

User image

Buttercup
I had the same reaction - it's about time.

Cuba is not an isolated, closed country. The rest of the world visits and does business with Cuba. My sister went this past summer. The US exports to Cuba already, as foreign aid.

Normalizing relations with Cuba will allow negotiations to begin (however they play out) over the financial claims of exiled Cubans and corporations.

Cubans who set foot on US soil currently receive preferential immigration treatment (dry foot policy). They are immediately eligible to receive a housing stipend, fast track work permit (permanent residency, not just a visa), and welfare benefits. I imagine this preferential treatment will go away once relations are normalized.
2014-12-22 12:43 PM
in reply to: Renee

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Renee I had the same reaction - it's about time. Cuba is not an isolated, closed country. The rest of the world visits and does business with Cuba. My sister went this past summer. The US exports to Cuba already, as foreign aid. Normalizing relations with Cuba will allow negotiations to begin (however they play out) over the financial claims of exiled Cubans and corporations. Cubans who set foot on US soil currently receive preferential immigration treatment (dry foot policy). They are immediately eligible to receive a housing stipend, fast track work permit (permanent residency, not just a visa), and welfare benefits. I imagine this preferential treatment will go away once relations are normalized.

Who are you?

2014-12-23 9:50 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Buttercup
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

I wonder what, if anything, this means for the Marines at GTMO. The guys on the other side of the barbed wire aren't the enemy anymore.

I'm sure there will be significant negotiations regarding the base. My guess is the Cubans will want the base closed and the land restored to Cuba.
2014-12-25 11:17 PM
in reply to: Renee

User image

I can't begin to put in words how upset I am about this,,,,,,,,,

because I'm not. 

I've never understood what good our policy did in the past. It's about time POTUS did something right. 

2014-12-26 5:41 AM
in reply to: crusevegas

New user
Key West
Living in the Florida Keys and having lived through the Bay of Pigs Era, when my father built a nuclear fall out shelter in our backyard instead of a pool, I have a unique perspective. I know why the embargo and diplomatic relations were cut off, but I also agree that after 50 years of the same policy without a positive change, it is time to try something else.

We have the wet foot, dry foot policy where we see, almost daily, boatloads of Cuban refugees coming ashore in the Keys and South Florida. That is not only extremely unsafe and often deadly for those people, but also places an economic burden on South Florida that we absorb without much assistance from the Feds, other than the great work that the Coast Guard does. At least with the slow normalizing of relations perhaps their economy will improve and they can stay in their homeland. If not, at least they will be able, someday, to immigrate "normally."

In my opinion, the major opposition in Miami which is really mostly among the older Cuban immigrants (my age and older), and one notable presidential wannabe, comes from those who were the "haves" under Batista's regime, which was basically Facist, who were dispossessed of their business, properties and wealth. I can certainly understand their anger, but it isn't something we should build our foreign policy around. As others have pointed out, we have normalized relations of sorts with some of the most dictatorial and unfavorable regimes around the world, why not Cuba.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Cuba announcement Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Public service announcement... Pages: 1 2

Started by Left Brain
Views: 2999 Posts: 34

2014-05-20 9:48 AM Goosedog