General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I don't ride a Cervelo, So there's no P on my bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-18 12:47 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: I don't ride a Cervelo, So there's no P on my bike
Awkward question...but on longer races, what do you do regarding the bathroom situation? I think the swim portion of the race is kind of a no brainer, but on the half and full distance races during riding and running...do you just let fly? I'm having a real problem with that idea, as I just got my bike a couple months ago and quite frankly, I really really don't want to. But at the same time, I certainly don't want to have to stop (I'd really like to get close to 5 hours and I don't see that happening with breaks). I'm doing my first half iron distance in a couple of weeks and these are the types of details I'm contemplating.

2014-12-18 12:56 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: I don't ride a Cervelo, So there's no P on my bike
grab an extra bottle of water at the aid station, go, then squirt the bottle to rinse off.

Pee isn't the worst thing you'll get on your bike.
2014-12-18 1:34 PM

If you only plan on being out there for 5 hours I bet you won't have to worry about it during the race. I have not had to use the restroom yet during a 70.3/intermediate distance race. If it I did need to use the restroom during a race I think I would do just that, use the restroom. If you assume it will take 5 hours to complete the race then a 1 minute pee stop is .33% of your time. Practicing transitions will save you more time than a quick bathroom break. We practice T1 & T2, so why not practice a fast bathroom break if you feel it will be needed? Most likely it will not be an issue if you are going to be around 5 hours. I don't do 140.6/ultra distance races, so I cannot answer that specific part of the question.
2014-12-18 1:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Leegoocrap grab an extra bottle of water at the aid station, go, then squirt the bottle to rinse off. Pee isn't the worst thing you'll get on your bike.

And, post race, don't just throw your bike shoes in a bag in the back of a car and drive several hours home.   Just sayin'

Edited by ChrisM 2014-12-18 1:42 PM
2014-12-18 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I stop.  The difference between a 6:04 and 6:09 (2 stops) ride isn't going to make a big difference in my overall day, and certainly towards the end of a 112 mile ride, being able to stretch is good.  

Now if I were expecting to finish closer to 10 hours, I'd want those minutes back.  

For a HIM, you might be OK going in T1 and holding it until T2, but that can mean you dehydrate yourself.  This isn't practical for an IM though.  

2014-12-18 5:17 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Let it flow, let it flow...

Water will rinse it out.

Just don't doo the poo...it doesn't work out too well.

2014-12-18 5:35 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Don't need to in a HIM.  (Well, everyone is different I suppose).  But you are only on the bike for 3-4 hours.  You can go in T1 (or in the wetsuit at the end of the swim!) and in T2 or on the run course.  I can't recall ever going during the entire race, but if I did, it was most likely during the run.

For a full?  I will just take a couple breaks.  Nice to get off the bike for a couple minutes a few times during the 112 miles.  I'm more concerned about comfort than a 12:12 time vs a 12:16 time since I'm not shooting for a podium spot.  It dries, but I'm not sure I want to SMELL it for the rest of a ride and a whole marathon (if you don't change).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I don't ride a Cervelo, So there's no P on my bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

There's swimming, and then there's........

Started by trainforacure
Views: 1479 Posts: 7

2011-08-13 7:23 AM Phaethon

Ironman 70.3 training - 5 hours bike ride vs 3 hours bike ride and 2 hours run

Started by Butcher
Views: 4801 Posts: 17

2009-07-27 11:25 AM jasonnance

Why don't the Olympic guys ride tri bikes?

Started by Newbie5317
Views: 967 Posts: 9

2008-06-26 11:00 AM Newbie5317

noes plugs

Started by roxygirl
Views: 2328 Posts: 14

2008-05-30 2:11 AM intriathlete

First Ride New Cervelo...First Crash New Cervelo

Started by Mad Lt.
Views: 1735 Posts: 15

2007-08-19 4:08 PM ranger5oh
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
comments : 0
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.

date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.