General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim lessons ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-18 2:45 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: swim lessons ?
I was wondering what I should expect from private swim lessons. I currently swim 1:40-50/100y for 1500y (haven't tried further yet), but I can't sustain anything faster or slower. I'm sure I have problems with my form and would love to get them corrected so I can swim longer with less effort hopefully. I was just wondering what others have experienced from swim lessons so I can decide if I should do them or not.

EDIT: I'm in Miami so if you guys know of a good instructor down here let me know that too.

Edited by Lupy 2014-12-18 2:46 PM

2014-12-18 6:13 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: swim lessons ?

I would want some video taken so I could see the flaws they point out.  It's much easier to correct technique flaws if you can see them.  The instructor should point out things you're doing correctly and things you need to work on (with some drills to imprint proper technique).  It still takes work on your part but guidance from a good instructor will correct the "low hanging fruit" in your technique.  You'll need to be consistent and put some yardage in (try to hit the pool at least every other day so you don't lose your feel for the water).  If your training log is accurate you would benefit from just swimming more (ie. 7 to 10k a week).

2014-12-19 7:34 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by JoelO

I would want some video taken so I could see the flaws they point out.  It's much easier to correct technique flaws if you can see them.  The instructor should point out things you're doing correctly and things you need to work on (with some drills to imprint proper technique).  It still takes work on your part but guidance from a good instructor will correct the "low hanging fruit" in your technique.  You'll need to be consistent and put some yardage in (try to hit the pool at least every other day so you don't lose your feel for the water).  If your training log is accurate you would benefit from just swimming more (ie. 7 to 10k a week).

Thanks. My log is accurate for July-sept. I've stopped updating it because I have an ambit 2s and I have to manually upload my info so I just stick to movescount and training peaks. I haven't been able to get to the pool much lately because of traving, but after the new years we will be done. I should be able to consistently swim 3x a week for about 1 hour. Lately I've felt so drained in the pool that I can barely keep going using a pull buoy.
2014-12-19 10:31 PM
in reply to: #5075658

User image

Franklin, TN
Sounds like one of your main limiters might be swim fitness.

If you're pressed for time, try this: go to the gym , jump on the treadmill for 30-40 minutes, get in the pool and do some variation of the following: 5x100 swim, 2x200 pull and 4x25 kick or sprint...1,000 yards/meters. Sometimes I'll do 10x100 pull if I'm a bit tired. Either way, you've spent roughly an hour at the gym and worked on both your swim and run.
2014-12-20 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
You'll need to be consistent and put some yardage in (try to hit the pool at least every other day so you don't lose your feel for the water). If your training log is accurate you would benefit from just swimming more (ie. 7 to 10k a week).

What is this famous feel for water? I took lessons in he past two instructors could not find anything wrong with my form , but they told me I need to have feel for water. Can you elaborate on it? How does it feel , how it is developed? I'm 25 yards in 30 s during laps. When I try to speed it doe snot really help, it actually slows me down because I lose my form.
2014-12-20 10:00 AM
in reply to: #5075955

User image

Franklin, TN
Feel for the water..for me (other people might have a different perspective) it's a feeling like your grabbing a lot of water with your catch and pull. I feel like I swim more efficiently and powerfully if I hit the pool frequently if only for a few hundred yards. If I miss several days I guess my form slips a little and don't grab the water or maintain my streamline as well...consequently I struggle to maintain my pace.

2014-12-20 10:14 AM
in reply to: #5075986

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I'm obviously no expert Slonce5 but if what JoelO is talking about what you are missing try swimming some with closed fists.
2014-12-20 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by JoelO

Feel for the water..for me (other people might have a different perspective) it's a feeling like your grabbing a lot of water with your catch and pull. I feel like I swim more efficiently and powerfully if I hit the pool frequently if only for a few hundred yards. If I miss several days I guess my form slips a little and don't grab the water or maintain my streamline as well...consequently I struggle to maintain my pace.

Thanks for your advice, Actually today, I read an article about a pull and catch and felt the water. I tried to enter the water with palms a little further to the side, away from my body. I also imagined letter V when my palm was entering the water. I think it helped a lot. I was going 30 s per 25 yards without kicking -just a pull. What time should I shoot for?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim lessons ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Swim in a Wetsuit - First Swimming Lesson

Started by lvthgme
Views: 1549 Posts: 7

2010-06-07 1:43 PM lvthgme

Help finding swim lessons in North Texas

Started by just4me
Views: 679 Posts: 4

2004-12-08 6:32 PM Tri Swim Coach

Swimming lessons

Started by Yoshiko
Views: 906 Posts: 15

2004-11-14 8:32 PM Yoshiko

I'm taking swim lessons

Started by maureen
Views: 831 Posts: 9

2004-11-15 1:11 PM RGRBILL

Swim Lessons question

Started by jmc1888
Views: 812 Posts: 6

2004-05-18 1:24 PM charlie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on being a slow, beginner swimmer, swimming on your side, snorkels, private lessons and ocean swims.

date : October 11, 2007
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Gina76
comments : 2
The completion of my first sprint triathlon! Even though it has been over a year since my first tri, I find myself ready to do two more this year and even two half marathons!
date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.

date : January 1, 2006
comments : 1
The three drills we will be focusing on today are a more “advanced” version of catch-up, which help you with distance per stroke AND keep you rotating from side to side (hip rotation).
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.