General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Second Time Beginner Triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-18 5:58 PM

User image

Regular
NW
Subject: Second Time Beginner Triathlete
One of my all time favorite post on here was a few years back when someone asked if they can be called an Ironman after finishing a half. One great reply said don't call yourself an Ironman, call yourself grateful. That you have the health, time, money, fitness, etc. I have the whole post on my wall at the house.

About 6-years ago when I was in that most popular age group 40-44, coming from zero athletic background, I set out to do a sprint triathlon. I weighed 210 lbs at 5-10 and couldn't run for more than 20-30's without being completely out of breath. I absolutely loved the journey through triathlon. I was intrigued more by distance than speed and completed three Ironmans in 2010, '11 and '12. My race weight was just under 160.

Then some family emergency stuff occurred and I fell off the triathlon wagon. Currently I'm hovering around 195. Where is all this going you ask?

Remembering how great I felt a couple years ago, I've started back in. What I've quickly realized is just like a great book, a great movie, etc, the second time through is not as good. The "I wonder if I can go just a bit more and run 10-miles today?" and do it during my first progression has turned into "I'm going to go run 3-miles but will probably end up running 6-miles for fun" and ends with "wow I was only able to run 3-miles. I can remember going out for enjoyable 15-mile runs!"

As I was getting back to my car today after my 3-mile sloooooow jog I felt completely defeated. I was down in the dumps when instead of running 7.5 minute miles two years ago for 3-miles, today I was probably around 12 minute miles. (I don't check!!!) I then remembered the post on my wall and felt not only grateful I could run for more than 30 seconds put could knock out a 3-mile jog when so many people would be grateful to be able to walk that distance.

For those starting out, make a point of taking a moment to really appreciate the journey. Not only in your own progress but also in the friendships you will build along the way. Always strive to be better at what you want to accomplish but most importantly appreciate where you are.

Okay time for me jump on my bike trainer and see if my butt can make it for 45-minutes today!!

Oh and P.S. ----Never take a couple years off while maintaining the same calorie intake!!!!

2014-12-19 3:32 AM
in reply to: tamason

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Second Time Beginner Triathlete

Originally posted by tamason One of my all time favorite post on here was a few years back when someone asked if they can be called an Ironman after finishing a half. One great reply said don't call yourself an Ironman, call yourself grateful. That you have the health, time, money, fitness, etc. I have the whole post on my wall at the house. About 6-years ago when I was in that most popular age group 40-44, coming from zero athletic background, I set out to do a sprint triathlon. I weighed 210 lbs at 5-10 and couldn't run for more than 20-30's without being completely out of breath. I absolutely loved the journey through triathlon. I was intrigued more by distance than speed and completed three Ironmans in 2010, '11 and '12. My race weight was just under 160. Then some family emergency stuff occurred and I fell off the triathlon wagon. Currently I'm hovering around 195. Where is all this going you ask? Remembering how great I felt a couple years ago, I've started back in. What I've quickly realized is just like a great book, a great movie, etc, the second time through is not as good. The "I wonder if I can go just a bit more and run 10-miles today?" and do it during my first progression has turned into "I'm going to go run 3-miles but will probably end up running 6-miles for fun" and ends with "wow I was only able to run 3-miles. I can remember going out for enjoyable 15-mile runs!" As I was getting back to my car today after my 3-mile sloooooow jog I felt completely defeated. I was down in the dumps when instead of running 7.5 minute miles two years ago for 3-miles, today I was probably around 12 minute miles. (I don't check!!!) I then remembered the post on my wall and felt not only grateful I could run for more than 30 seconds put could knock out a 3-mile jog when so many people would be grateful to be able to walk that distance. For those starting out, make a point of taking a moment to really appreciate the journey. Not only in your own progress but also in the friendships you will build along the way. Always strive to be better at what you want to accomplish but most importantly appreciate where you are. Okay time for me jump on my bike trainer and see if my butt can make it for 45-minutes today!! Oh and P.S. ----Never take a couple years off while maintaining the same calorie intake!!!!

hahaha on that last one--not even a few months!

All kinds of awesome in your post. Welcome back

2014-12-19 9:08 AM
in reply to: #5075690

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Yes, coming back after a long layoff is challenging. Often it's more difficult mentally than physically because what was formerly easy is now difficult. The remedy is to keep at it. Doing so will bring you closer to getting back to where it becomes easy. Remember it may have taken years to get to where you once were and now that you're older it could take even longer. Every day you train now brings you closer. Keep at it.
2014-12-19 9:12 AM
in reply to: Donskiman

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Welcome back! It is frustrating not to be the same place you were - i guess it's all about finding new motivation and reasons to enjoy.  It's an attitude adjustment, i think

2014-12-19 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Welcome back!

It also doesn't help getting older, especially >45 years old I found in my case. Recovery time needed goes way up and speed (especially running!) goes down.
2014-12-19 9:30 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by tamason One of my all time favorite post on here was a few years back when someone asked if they can be called an Ironman after finishing a half. One great reply said don't call yourself an Ironman, call yourself grateful. That you have the health, time, money, fitness, etc. I have the whole post on my wall at the house. About 6-years ago when I was in that most popular age group 40-44, coming from zero athletic background, I set out to do a sprint triathlon. I weighed 210 lbs at 5-10 and couldn't run for more than 20-30's without being completely out of breath. I absolutely loved the journey through triathlon. I was intrigued more by distance than speed and completed three Ironmans in 2010, '11 and '12. My race weight was just under 160. Then some family emergency stuff occurred and I fell off the triathlon wagon. Currently I'm hovering around 195. Where is all this going you ask? Remembering how great I felt a couple years ago, I've started back in. What I've quickly realized is just like a great book, a great movie, etc, the second time through is not as good. The "I wonder if I can go just a bit more and run 10-miles today?" and do it during my first progression has turned into "I'm going to go run 3-miles but will probably end up running 6-miles for fun" and ends with "wow I was only able to run 3-miles. I can remember going out for enjoyable 15-mile runs!" As I was getting back to my car today after my 3-mile sloooooow jog I felt completely defeated. I was down in the dumps when instead of running 7.5 minute miles two years ago for 3-miles, today I was probably around 12 minute miles. (I don't check!!!) I then remembered the post on my wall and felt not only grateful I could run for more than 30 seconds put could knock out a 3-mile jog when so many people would be grateful to be able to walk that distance. For those starting out, make a point of taking a moment to really appreciate the journey. Not only in your own progress but also in the friendships you will build along the way. Always strive to be better at what you want to accomplish but most importantly appreciate where you are. Okay time for me jump on my bike trainer and see if my butt can make it for 45-minutes today!! Oh and P.S. ----Never take a couple years off while maintaining the same calorie intake!!!!

Sometimes the 2nd viewing of a movie or 2nd reading of a book makes you notice things you didn't notice before which make the entire experience as a whole more interesting. Stick with it my man.

2014-12-19 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I remind myself that I can't dwell in the past and occupy my thoughts of "I remember when I could run this fast or I looked like this". I need to focus on the present so my future me will be faster, stronger and a sexy beast.
2014-12-19 2:06 PM

User image

Just like your first go around I can almost guarantee you will soon have some AHA moments again!

2014-12-19 3:53 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I would say welcome back but it was inside you the whole time. Dont get down on yourself. Use each day as another step toward your goals.
2014-12-19 4:12 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Welcome back!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Second Time Beginner Triathlete Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Since this is BEGINNER triathlete, a great article for the true beginner

Started by noelle1230
Views: 1370 Posts: 4

2013-07-05 9:07 PM TriAya

Second triathlete dies at NYC Nautica :(

Started by trainforacure
Views: 880 Posts: 1

2011-08-08 10:58 AM trainforacure

Second Tri and second time calf cramped on bike

Started by sicone
Views: 876 Posts: 7

2010-08-10 8:40 AM stevster

Second Thoughts..BIG TIME Pages: 1 2

Started by 3leftys
Views: 3257 Posts: 46

2010-06-28 12:31 PM laurie2829

My demon slayed...then forced a second time...cycling

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 1207 Posts: 7

2009-03-15 7:00 AM trishie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 0
Have you finished your first triathlon and are about to do your second? This article will give you several tips to improve.

date : June 12, 2012
comments : 2
Mark will reveal blow by blow what took him from six devastating setbacks in the Ironman World Championships in Kona to the first of his six World Championship victories on the Big Island.
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : November 1, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
From a cycling background to triathlete. A podcast with one of the first BT members about how triathlons allow him that daily satisfaction.
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Metatarsalgia simply means “painful metatarsal” without defining the cause of the pain. Metatarsalgia most commonly causes pain at the second metatarsal head.
date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Team BT
We did really well with the beers, which will explain my reluctance to get out of bed on Saturday morning.