BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2015-05-11 8:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: RAIN!!

Originally posted by Dominion

Originally posted by rjchilds8
Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Rain, rain, rain, and more rain!  I have training to get in!!  

Looks like I'll be on the trainer for a few hours tonight when I get home from work.  Blah!  

I'm with you there. I'd much rather ride outside. I find the trainer extremely boring. It makes it difficult for me to do long training sessions on the indoor trainer. I'm not sure I've done more than 50 minutes. I have to try to find something really good on TV to keep me in the saddle that long.

The trainer is boring, no way around it. I consider it a necessary evil of winter training, but can't wait to get outside when spring finally arrives. The 50 minutes you mentioned is really all you need if you are racing sprint and Olympic distances. I used to force myself to do longer trainer rides but found that I could get away with just an hour if I made it count. Keep the intensity high and try to make a game out of it. Anything to keep the mind engaged and make it bearable. The trainer works, it will pay off!

What's weird to me is that I can ride a stationary bike at the gym for several hours w/o too much of an issue.  But 30 minutes into my bike on a trainer and I start going numb.  45-60 minutes and it starts getting painful.  I've had people say it's just because I'm not use to my bike being that ridged, slow down my cadence and spend time acclimating to it.  My advantage is living in North Texas where I can ride outside, hit and miss, throughout the winter.  Any suggestions would be welcome to fix this issue.  I have an expensive trainer that spends all it's time sitting in the garage.

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2015-05-11 1:16 PM

2015-05-11 9:36 PM
in reply to: #5075698

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed
Do you have your front wheel on a riser, or the floor? Using my trainer for extended periods was pretty uncomfortable when I had my front tire on the floor (and therefore lower than the back), I assume because I was always at a slight decline. Then I moved the bike to my porch where the floor has a slight slope that evened out the tires, and it wasn't nearly as bad.
2015-05-12 1:17 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
I do but that's a good point. I might try increasing the height a bit and see if that helps. Thanks!
2015-05-12 3:10 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: Recovery
I can't remember who posted about wearing recovery pants, but I bought some (or something like them) recently. I have to say, I think they're great! After some of my harder workouts, my legs would start to ache during the night and interrupted my sleep. It was almost enough to make me want to take a step back on my intensity (which is almost like asking water not to be wet!). I'm a high energy/high effort person and I find it hard to train at lower intensity even though I know I need to. Anyway, I bought these pants (see pic attached). They're by 110%. They are for both compression and ice. They have pockets at key places for recovery: knees or IT band, calves, quads, hamstrings, hips, glutes. You basically freeze the inserts and then place them in the area you need to treat. Since I started using these pants, I haven't had any of the issues I had before with having sometimes severe pain in my legs, particularly in the hip and quad area. I like these so much, I'm considering buying a 2nd pair! I'm not sure who posted before, but I'm curious what they were using.

(110_recovery.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
110_recovery.jpg (17KB - 6 downloads)
2015-05-12 6:25 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

I use an old phone book or two to lift the front wheel.

2015-05-12 8:45 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Recovery

Originally posted by rjchilds8 I can't remember who posted about wearing recovery pants, but I bought some (or something like them) recently. I have to say, I think they're great! After some of my harder workouts, my legs would start to ache during the night and interrupted my sleep. It was almost enough to make me want to take a step back on my intensity (which is almost like asking water not to be wet!). I'm a high energy/high effort person and I find it hard to train at lower intensity even though I know I need to. Anyway, I bought these pants (see pic attached). They're by 110%. They are for both compression and ice. They have pockets at key places for recovery: knees or IT band, calves, quads, hamstrings, hips, glutes. You basically freeze the inserts and then place them in the area you need to treat. Since I started using these pants, I haven't had any of the issues I had before with having sometimes severe pain in my legs, particularly in the hip and quad area. I like these so much, I'm considering buying a 2nd pair! I'm not sure who posted before, but I'm curious what they were using.

YOU BET!  I really love mine but they don't have the ice pockets!  A week or so back I over did it on leg day in the gym.  The following day a good deal of soreness set in.  Put on my pants and the soreness was gone by the end of the day.  Any extended or high stress workout and I wear them for a minimum of three hours, usually overnight.

Here's mine:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NB8KE6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2015-05-13 10:11 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin First group ride ever last night. There is a local cycle group and a tri group that meets here on Tuesday nights. The stars aligned last night such that I was able to go. There was thirty plus folks in the group. Someone dumped their bike within the first few miles but was okay. It was alot different trying to stay in a tight group. We started at a 18 mile pace and then settled in at about 22mph (the leaders we faster at about 25 mph, I couldn't hold the pace longer than a mile). We went just over 25 miles and I averaged over 20 mph. I was a great workout and my fastest ride over 15 miles. I'm certainly feeling it today. Hope to make it out again soon.

Keep going back whenever you can. You'll learn a lot and most likely get a better workout than you would on your own. If you want to be faster, train with people who are faster.

bummed that I missed the ride this week. My wife had some things going on and I couldbn't get there on time. Fingers crossed for next week

Nate
2015-05-15 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: First Race of the year

First Tri of the season tomorrow. Packing now and and then heading down to Jekyll Island Georgia. Olympic distance (29 mile bike).

I'll be renewing my annual rivalry with my brother as well as have two of my coaching clients racing, so no pressure there

I'm feeling lean and fit though..and as mentioned highly motivated. Fingers crossed everything goes well and we'll get 2015 started!

2015-05-15 7:57 AM

User image

Subject: RE: First Race of the year

First Tri of the season tomorrow. Packing now and and then heading down to Jekyll Island Georgia. Olympic distance (29 mile bike).

I'll be renewing my annual rivalry with my brother as well as have two of my coaching clients racing, so no pressure there

I'm feeling lean and fit though..and as mentioned highly motivated. Fingers crossed everything goes well and we'll get 2015 started!

Good luck! I'll be looking forward to your race report.
2015-05-15 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

GO GET EM, CHRIS!!

2015-05-15 9:33 AM

User image

New user

Have fun and good luck Chris!

Scott

2015-05-15 1:19 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: Texas

(walking.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
walking.jpg (31KB - 3 downloads)
2015-05-16 8:31 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Didn't have the race I had hoped for, but the swim was pretty rough again this year with swells and the tide coming in. Got 2nd Age Group. Full report in the next day or two.

(1050179.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1050179.jpg (82KB - 4 downloads)
2015-05-16 9:50 PM
in reply to: #5114674

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Congrats! 2nd AG ain't nothing to frown at!
2015-05-17 3:49 PM
in reply to: #5116019

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
2nd in your AG? That's awesome, congratulations!!
2015-05-18 6:10 AM

User image

Didn't have the race I had hoped for, but the swim was pretty rough again this year with swells and the tide coming in. Got 2nd Age Group. Full report in the next day or two.

Great job, Chris! 2nd in your AG sounds like a very good race. And it leaves room for improvement to keep you motivated!

2015-05-18 8:38 AM
in reply to: #5116144

User image

Great job. Does that qualify you for age group nationals?
2015-05-18 2:36 PM
in reply to: #5116263

Subject: Estimated pace question
I recently had a small hiccup happen with an upcoming race and I was curious what everyone does.

I signed up for a 10 mile race what seems like forever ago and had to input an estimated pace. I cannot remember what I decided on but I am not a fast runner, though faster now then when I registered for the race.

The race offers pace groups, two of which are intervals. Since this is by far the longest distance I have tackled I decided those were for me. I trained using those intervals.

This morning I discovered that the two interval pace groups I planned on are actually in the corrals in front of me and it specifically states in more then once place you are not allowed to move up groups, which I completely understand.

So my question is when you register for a race that is months down the road, do you enter an optimistic anticipated pace?

Chalk this one up to still being a rookie...
2015-05-18 10:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Thanks everyone!

The full race report is up at the raceblog link below.

I should add that though it wasn't the race I wanted to have from  the standpoint of some personal goals, I am very grateful and happy to have gotten 2nd in the Age Group. It was just one of those tough days I guess. 

Randy, you are absolutely right, disappointments and coming up short are great motivators. I am always way more motivated by failure than by success. 

Nate, actually I was already qualified for Nationals due to some late season races last year. Although it was a great experience, it is quite a ways to go from SE Georgia, so no plans to go back this year. However, if it comes anywhere near the southeast again, I'll def be there!

2015-05-18 10:46 PM
in reply to: iluvlucy1117

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Estimated pace question

Originally posted by iluvlucy1117 I recently had a small hiccup happen with an upcoming race and I was curious what everyone does. I signed up for a 10 mile race what seems like forever ago and had to input an estimated pace. I cannot remember what I decided on but I am not a fast runner, though faster now then when I registered for the race. The race offers pace groups, two of which are intervals. Since this is by far the longest distance I have tackled I decided those were for me. I trained using those intervals. This morning I discovered that the two interval pace groups I planned on are actually in the corrals in front of me and it specifically states in more then once place you are not allowed to move up groups, which I completely understand. So my question is when you register for a race that is months down the road, do you enter an optimistic anticipated pace? Chalk this one up to still being a rookie...

Not sure I understand how it works, but once the race starts you can run at whatever pace you want right? I mean you don't have to hang back with a certain group. The pacer is just a guideline. If you've trained at the other pace, then you should have a pretty good idea what it feels like. I'd say go out and run your own race.

2015-05-19 7:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Estimated pace question

Originally posted by iluvlucy1117 I recently had a small hiccup happen with an upcoming race and I was curious what everyone does. I signed up for a 10 mile race what seems like forever ago and had to input an estimated pace. I cannot remember what I decided on but I am not a fast runner, though faster now then when I registered for the race. The race offers pace groups, two of which are intervals. Since this is by far the longest distance I have tackled I decided those were for me. I trained using those intervals. This morning I discovered that the two interval pace groups I planned on are actually in the corrals in front of me and it specifically states in more then once place you are not allowed to move up groups, which I completely understand. So my question is when you register for a race that is months down the road, do you enter an optimistic anticipated pace? Chalk this one up to still being a rookie...

Not sure I understand how it works, but once the race starts you can run at whatever pace you want right? I mean you don't have to hang back with a certain group. The pacer is just a guideline. If you've trained at the other pace, then you should have a pretty good idea what it feels like. I'd say go out and run your own race.

I agree. The corrals are for racing logistics so you don't have everyone running over each other.  If you have to start further back, run your race. Next time you'll know to bump it up a little!

2015-05-19 8:31 AM

User image

Americus, Georgia
I didn't see the link to your blog. Is it on your profile? Thanks! I enjoyed reading your post from this race, last year. I've held onto that mental image of how you describe the swim as like trying to swim in a washing machine. Ugh. Hope this year was better!
2015-05-20 7:15 AM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by marriedthepoolguy I didn't see the link to your blog. Is it on your profile? Thanks! I enjoyed reading your post from this race, last year. I've held onto that mental image of how you describe the swim as like trying to swim in a washing machine. Ugh. Hope this year was better!

http://chrismooreracing.blogspot.com/

2015-05-21 7:11 AM
in reply to: #5116407

User image

New user
Watford
Hi all,

I have my first race of the season this Saturday, followed by my next in two weeks tine, and I'm wondering how I should train between the two.
I'm thinking taking it easy from Saturday (1st race day) until Wednesday, then hard from Wednesday to Wednesday then tapering the last part of the week.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - Tony.
2015-05-21 8:00 AM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by TonyAbbott Hi all, I have my first race of the season this Saturday, followed by my next in two weeks tine, and I'm wondering how I should train between the two. I'm thinking taking it easy from Saturday (1st race day) until Wednesday, then hard from Wednesday to Wednesday then tapering the last part of the week. Any thoughts? Thanks - Tony.

Hiya Tony! What distances are you racing?

Are you new to the sport or your first season?

Which would be your "A" race?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  

of 36

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29133 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?