BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2015-09-21 6:59 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: TDD Triathlon

Randy, nice race and good report.

You just did squeeze into that top half! 

I think with a little more consistency to your training you could see some big gains. Keep working hard.

2015-09-24 6:36 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: Off season
I'm not sure anyone is even going to see this question. Seems like the group has gone just about completely silent. I'm just curious what everyone does during the off season. I don't really plan to take any time off. My workout schedule won't be as intense as it is during the warmer months, but I'll still be probably 3-4 workouts each week. Ideally, I'd like to keep 1 swim, 1 bike, and 2 run workouts each week. They might not be as intense as my summer workouts, but I don't really want to lose much of the gains that I made during the summer. I took about 2 months off this past off season and then felt like I was almost starting from scratch when I restarted my training. What do the rest of you do?
2015-09-24 7:38 AM

User image

Americus, Georgia
Subject: RE: Off season
Last year, I found this article and followed this plan for several weeks before I developed a stress fracture in my foot (the injury was from running on cobblestones on downtown Savannah; injury is not related to the training plan). http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/11/training/a-better-off-seaso...
I really enjoyed the addition of the strength work and how it allowed me to focus on my weakest and second weakest areas.

I'm planning to spend the off season picking Monty's brain and playing with HR training.
2015-09-24 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

I'm still here!

My plan for this year is to take 2 weeks off after my last race (Oct. 24th). Two weeks of nothing, not even thinking about triathlon (I know that's impossible)

After that is a run focus through the end of the calendar year (a December 5k sponsored by my employer provides adequate motivation) with a week to 10 days off around Christmas to New Year's. Maybe a ride or two or trainer work thrown in once a week during Nov/Dec.  No swimming. I'm not saying you shouldn't swim, it's just for me a 2 month break makes sure I am rejuvenated and ready to get back at it hard when the time comes. January 1st is back to full time training. Races start in April or early May.  

I do plan to get back on the weights during the fall and winter too. I think the strength training is very important but always seems to fall of for me during the summer grind with all the SBR going on.

2015-09-24 8:35 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by rjchilds8

I'm not sure anyone is even going to see this question. Seems like the group has gone just about completely silent. I'm just curious what everyone does during the off season. I don't really plan to take any time off. My workout schedule won't be as intense as it is during the warmer months, but I'll still be probably 3-4 workouts each week. Ideally, I'd like to keep 1 swim, 1 bike, and 2 run workouts each week. They might not be as intense as my summer workouts, but I don't really want to lose much of the gains that I made during the summer. I took about 2 months off this past off season and then felt like I was almost starting from scratch when I restarted my training. What do the rest of you do?

I still have 2 mutli sports events left on my plate. Duathlon on Sunday and one last Tri for the pool next Sunday. I'm in need of a break. I can feel it. What I'm looking forward to is 2-3 weeks of rest (maybe a "fun" run/bike/swim) mixed in now and then if I'm bored and then still keep training light until December. Then I'll start slowly ramping up the training until January hits when I'll really start logging the miles again.

Scott
2015-09-24 5:58 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

I still get emailed any post.  My main PC crash and burned last week so I'm not online much right now.  I'm currently in my off season with a few base workouts per week mixed with a heavy dose of muscle repair, balance, and stabilization.  My wife and I did a 31 mile tour last weekend and have one more coming up in 3-4 weeks.  My training starts to ramp up in October building to start a plan in December.  I'm going to give the Memorial Herman Ironman 70.3 Texas in Galveston a go again in early April.  An ocean swim, flat and fast.

2015-09-25 6:56 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Sounds like everyone has a bit of a different plan. My two months off last off season wasn't exactly supposed to be that long, but that's what happened. I won't repeat that this year. At most, I'll take a week off after my last 5K this year in a few weeks. Otherwise, I plan to spend some time building a stronger run base while trying to retain some of my bike and swim fitness. I want to keep swimming one day a week. Swimming is the discipline I like the most. It's a relaxing and quiet hour in my day that gives me a break from the rest of the craziness! LOL No boss making ridiculous demands, no kids yelling at each other, just a slice of virtually silent heaven. ;-) Since I want to do a HIM in a couple years and at least do a half century ride next year, I want to try to try to keep at least one bike trainer session each week.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable and productive yet relaxing off season. Good luck to any of our members that still have events left this year!

Randy
2015-09-27 8:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: Race Report

I finally got my race report from 2 weeks ago up on my blog. The delay was due to the fact that I kept waiting for the race pictures to come out and they finally put them on facebook tonight.  It was a good weekend as I raced an Olympic distance on Saturday and a Sprint on Sunday. It was the final week of my Georgia state series and I was looking to move up from 5th in my Age group into the top 3. I ended up with 2 AG podiums and 2 Top 10 overalls. I had 2 great duels with Age group rival and extraordinary swimmer, PJ Caplan. 

I have 1 more race down in Clermont, FL next month.

2015-09-28 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Race Report

Originally posted by Dominion

I finally got my race report from 2 weeks ago up on my blog. The delay was due to the fact that I kept waiting for the race pictures to come out and they finally put them on facebook tonight.  It was a good weekend as I raced an Olympic distance on Saturday and a Sprint on Sunday. It was the final week of my Georgia state series and I was looking to move up from 5th in my Age group into the top 3. I ended up with 2 AG podiums and 2 Top 10 overalls. I had 2 great duels with Age group rival and extraordinary swimmer, PJ Caplan. 

I have 1 more race down in Clermont, FL next month.

Right on!  Congrats, Chris.

2015-10-01 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: Sept. Totals

Here are my totals for September (yes, I'm still training...3 more weeks to go!) The month was solid but not spectacular. Run was a little low, that usually seems to happen to me the later into the year I get.

S: 16161yards

B: 240 miles

R: 53 miles

2015-10-01 6:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Sept. Totals

Good numbers!  When's your next race?

++++++

Sept:

Swim: 29m 43s - 1350.00 Yd

Bike: 10h 20m 20s - 153.12 M

Run: 3h 03m 07s - 17.20 M

I really dialed back on the run and increased my muscle balance and core training to test my hamstrings/lower back.  Yep, lower back.  I feel I can stay on top of it with strength and core work.  And a monthly visit to my chiropractor!  

+++++

This might be goodbye for me, or close to it.  I've really enjoyed this group and plan on keeping the email updates going.  I've decided to attempt the Ironman Texas 140.6 on May 14th, 2016.  Also home to the North American Championship this year!  Which means I need to start follow the full distance groups for as much help/advise as I can get on that kind of distance.  My training plan starts next month.

I was going to do a 70.3 in April then 140.6 in Sept of 2016 but several issues changed my mind.  First, this way I'm training through the winter months (which ain't much here in Texas) and not the 100*+ summer months.  Second, if I'm going 140.6 miles I might as well go big!  The race in Sept. is well established but not an "Ironman" event.   Vacation time at work is in, wife has agreed, now I just need to fork over the $770 entry.

2015-10-01 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Good numbers!  When's your next race?

++++++

Sept:

Swim: 29m 43s - 1350.00 Yd

Bike: 10h 20m 20s - 153.12 M

Run: 3h 03m 07s - 17.20 M

I really dialed back on the run and increased my muscle balance and core training to test my hamstrings/lower back.  Yep, lower back.  I feel I can stay on top of it with strength and core work.  And a monthly visit to my chiropractor!  

+++++

This might be goodbye for me, or close to it.  I've really enjoyed this group and plan on keeping the email updates going.  I've decided to attempt the Ironman Texas 140.6 on May 14th, 2016.  Also home to the North American Championship this year!  Which means I need to start follow the full distance groups for as much help/advise as I can get on that kind of distance.  My training plan starts next month.

I was going to do a 70.3 in April then 140.6 in Sept of 2016 but several issues changed my mind.  First, this way I'm training through the winter months (which ain't much here in Texas) and not the 100*+ summer months.  Second, if I'm going 140.6 miles I might as well go big!  The race in Sept. is well established but not an "Ironman" event.   Vacation time at work is in, wife has agreed, now I just need to fork over the $770 entry.

Great Floridian 1/3 Distance - October 24th.

Good luck in IM Texas, and yeah I know what you mean about training through the summer heat.  I'm considering ending my season by July in the future so at least I'm taking August and September off, then training through the winter for April - July races. May not work out though. Too many races I want to do.

2015-10-01 8:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by Dominion

Great Floridian 1/3 Distance - October 24th.

Good luck in IM Texas, and yeah I know what you mean about training through the summer heat.  I'm considering ending my season by July in the future so at least I'm taking August and September off, then training through the winter for April - July races. May not work out though. Too many races I want to do.

Good luck!  Is it an "A" race?

The older I get the harder it is to keep my HR in check when it's hot.  This will free me up to do some shorter late season races I've been watching for years.  Plus my wife rides now and we're starting to have fun pulling the camper around catching the tours.

2015-10-01 9:59 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: Sept. Totals
My September totals are not much to speak of:

S: 0
B: 81.41 miles (mostly indoors on my trainer)
R: 34.27 miles

I took a six-week training break from my last triathlon until now. I had intended to do more bike riding, but got roped into revamping online training materials for something else, and that took a lot of my time in the evenings. And, I've come down with something nasty this week, which has kept me home from work all week. It doesn't appear to be in any hurry to leave my body any time soon, so I may be out for a while.

However, I went to my 35th high school reunion last weekend and was referred to as "the athletic one." That was a nice compliment, especially since I have not been back since graduation or in touch with anyone, so nobody knew, except one person. I was even able to fit into my graduation t-shirt and old cheerleading skirt for the homecoming game, which was fun.

As soon as I'm over this nasty bug, I'm going to start working with Chris again toward my April Half Ironman goal (New Orleans). I'm a little anxious about it. I know I can do the swim and the bike, but the run is always a concern. However, I finished a 10-mile run a few weeks ago, so I only need to push myself a few miles further, which I know I can do. I just need to get used to the pain! That, and increase my swim and bike speeds so I finish within the allotted time.
2015-10-02 12:25 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by burner2 As soon as I'm over this nasty bug, I'm going to start working with Chris again toward my April Half Ironman goal (New Orleans). I'm a little anxious about it. I know I can do the swim and the bike, but the run is always a concern. However, I finished a 10-mile run a few weeks ago, so I only need to push myself a few miles further, which I know I can do. I just need to get used to the pain! That, and increase my swim and bike speeds so I finish within the allotted time.

I've been looking at New Orleans!  That's on my list to do but it will have to wait in 2016.  You can do it!  Keep reminding yourself "I have a 13 mile run next" while on the bike!  Get well.

2015-10-04 9:36 PM

User image

sorry I have been away. My season is done and I have been slacking a bit.
Races:
Great race Rany and Cass. That is a huge PR Cass.

Off season plans:
My original off-season plan was to go run heavy at least 4 or 5 runs a week, one bike a week until it gets cold (November) and one swim. After my race on 9/12, I final met with a podiatrist and he says I have exercise induced foot compartment syndrome. I have orthotics on the way. I have kept with 4 runs the last 2 weeks and averaged 15 miles a week. Will wait for the orthotics before going longer. Have got my 6 year old and wife to start running, so there is a bit of run walk in with my volume. The weather has sucked so I haven't biked at all (most of my runs have been in the rain). My sole bike in September was at my race, if it ever stops raining I will try to get a couple rides in before mounting it to the trainer. Don't plan on riding until January. I like the swim, I feel you lose the swim pretty quick if you are not swimming at all. Additionally If you believe in aerobic miles its 4 for 1 so a good way to keep miles off your legs and push aerobic miles. (Don't really track this but know some do)

I have to sit down with the road racing calendar and try to pick out some races. The run group associated with my tri group has a few events coming up that I may plan for. My friend organizes this group and wants me to do a half with them in March. The state series typically opens in March with a sprint. So I maybe conflicted.

Future Seasons
Depending on how I do with the orthotics I may try for a half IM next year or the year after. I turn 40 Jan 2017 and have few things I want to get done (athletically) before I exit my thirties. Living in the south there is something to be said for training heavy in the cooler months and racing early season before it gets to hot. I have been looking at the IM 70.3 races and the NO race seems pretty good for that Cass. Of course your winters are horrible. Not sure I can pull that volume with 3 kids at home. Maybe I will focus on Oly's next year. Would like to compete in one of the two state series but this would require me to give up some local races I like. Chris they will be adding a IM 70.3 in Hilton Head next year. Likely in October.

September totals
SWIM 2h 52m 05s - 9290.42 Yd
BIKE 1h 18m 26s - 24.50 Mi
RUN 8h 06m 34s - 52.25 Mi

Swim and bike down as expected. Run is up a mile from August.

Will try to check in a bit more, and will continue to post until archived. will be up for another season.

Nate

Monty, its awesome that you have already got some plans together and good luck with moving up to the full

2015-10-05 10:06 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Americus, Georgia
Hi, guys! Not sure what all your preferences are for hydration mixes, but thought I'd let you know (in case you don't subscribe to SAC) that www.steepandcheap.com has Skratch Labs hydration mixes and accessories on sale right now in the Gear Cache. Bike gear, components, frames and apparel are also on sale, but only for another 2 days.
Happy Hunting!
2015-10-05 6:05 PM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by marriedthepoolguy Hi, guys! Not sure what all your preferences are for hydration mixes, but thought I'd let you know (in case you don't subscribe to SAC) that www.steepandcheap.com has Skratch Labs hydration mixes and accessories on sale right now in the Gear Cache. Bike gear, components, frames and apparel are also on sale, but only for another 2 days. Happy Hunting!

Oh my!  I didn't even know steepandcheap was still around much less with cycling gear.  I have several backpacking pieces I got for a steal from that site back in the day.

2015-10-05 8:33 PM

User image

New user
Subject: race reports
Been busy with everything else non related to get a report out in a timely manner. Had a duathlon two weekends ago and raced well. 8th overall and 1st in AG. Raced in my last triathlon yesterday and placed 4th overall and 1st in AG. If you'd like to read the full race reports they can be found at the links below.

http://sjmtrisandmore.blogspot.com/

Scott
2015-10-05 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: race reports

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99 Been busy with everything else non related to get a report out in a timely manner. Had a duathlon two weekends ago and raced well. 8th overall and 1st in AG. Raced in my last triathlon yesterday and placed 4th overall and 1st in AG. If you'd like to read the full race reports they can be found at the links below. http://sjmtrisandmore.blogspot.com/Scott

RIGHT ON!  Congrats!

2015-10-06 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99 Been busy with everything else non related to get a report out in a timely manner. Had a duathlon two weekends ago and raced well. 8th overall and 1st in AG. Raced in my last triathlon yesterday and placed 4th overall and 1st in AG. If you'd like to read the full race reports they can be found at the links below. http://sjmtrisandmore.blogspot.com/Scott

Almost 8 minutes faster than last year's "Thumb race" !!!

2015-10-06 4:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: Warning

During our bike ride Saturday my wife forgot to "start" her mapmyride when leaving a rest station.  She uses this app all the time much to my dismay. She was behind me and called out, "Wait, wait!  I need to start my app".  I slowed down because at least she stops to do it.  Seconds later she slammed into the back of me.  She had gotten her phone out and was trying to start the app.  She went down but I managed to stay on my feet.  Her front tire jammed between my chain stay and wheel so hard it knocked my wheel out/off.  Holding her phone in her right hand she put her elbow out to break her fall.  We just got home from the surgical center.

(elbow screw.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
elbow screw.jpg (55KB - 18 downloads)
2015-10-06 9:20 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Warning

During our bike ride Saturday my wife forgot to "start" her mapmyride when leaving a rest station.  She uses this app all the time much to my dismay. She was behind me and called out, "Wait, wait!  I need to start my app".  I slowed down because at least she stops to do it.  Seconds later she slammed into the back of me.  She had gotten her phone out and was trying to start the app.  She went down but I managed to stay on my feet.  Her front tire jammed between my chain stay and wheel so hard it knocked my wheel out/off.  Holding her phone in her right hand she put her elbow out to break her fall.  We just got home from the surgical center.

OUCH! That sucks! Hope her recovery goes well.
2015-10-06 9:23 PM

User image

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

Been busy with everything else non related to get a report out in a timely manner. Had a duathlon two weekends ago and raced well. 8th overall and 1st in AG. Raced in my last triathlon yesterday and placed 4th overall and 1st in AG. If you'd like to read the full race reports they can be found at the links below.

http://sjmtrisandmore.blogspot.com/

Scott

Great race, Scott! Way to finish the season strong.
2015-10-14 9:09 PM

User image

Finally got a ride in this past weekend. It was great to be back on the bike

One of the two state tri series has released the dates for next year already so I get to start planning soon!

Hope everyone is doing well

Nate
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  

of 36

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28951 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?