BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2015-11-05 7:26 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed
Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

My April totals should look like this:  It's a little scary 

SWIM

16h 30m
BIKE

40h 30m
RUN

17h 20m
STRENGTH

4h 40m

Whoa! That's almost 20 hours a week of training! If you build in on rest day a week, that's over 3 hours of training a day. That's great that you can commit to that kind of schedule. I don't have that kind of free time and even if I did I don't think my 47 year old body could handle it. Granted, I was only training for the Olympic distance, but I don't think I trained 20 hours in a month, never mind a week! I know I'll have to increase my time commitment as I try to reach my goal of a HIM, but I'm also only training to just finish the distance and not necessarily trying for a "fast" time.

Good luck, Monty! I hope you reach your goals.

2015-11-05 3:49 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by rjchilds8

My April totals should look like this:  It's a little scary 

Whoa! That's almost 20 hours a week of training! If you build in on rest day a week, that's over 3 hours of training a day. That's great that you can commit to that kind of schedule. I don't have that kind of free time and even if I did I don't think my 47 year old body could handle it. Granted, I was only training for the Olympic distance, but I don't think I trained 20 hours in a month, never mind a week! I know I'll have to increase my time commitment as I try to reach my goal of a HIM, but I'm also only training to just finish the distance and not necessarily trying for a "fast" time. Good luck, Monty! I hope you reach your goals.

It is a huge time sink for sure.  This plan is the beginner full distance plan on BT.  It IS the "just to finish" plan.  The medium plan has more speed/strength work in it but about the same volume.  I didn't look at the advanced!  

I had a long sit down with my wife to talk about what this will look like before committing.  For now she's supportive although I may need a place to stay in March and April, lol.

Oh, and I forgot to mention my chiropractor and massage therapist are excited as well.  I think he's already shopping for a new set of golf clubs.

The general entry sold out last night.  Not sure how many but we're still 6.5 months from race day.  Glad I went ahead and forked over the cash!

Man, you can do a HIM!  Just build your volume slow and consistently and work on nutrition!

2015-11-09 7:29 PM

User image

>Man, you can do a HIM!  Just build your volume slow and consistently and work on nutrition!

I'm looking at this as a 2 year plan. My goal is to build up my bike and run distances as stand alone events in 2016. My wife and I are actually planning to run several half marathons next year and I plan to do at least one half century ride. I want to do 2 Olympic events plus at least 2 more sprints, also. Then I'll aim to put it all together in 2017 and go for that HIM!

Between my age, the wear and tear on my body, and having somewhat limited training time due to family and work commitments, I just don't have any faith in my ability to make that kind of jump in a single year. After all, I just did my first (and only) Olympic this year and that came with some serious cramping on the run. So, yes, I've got to figure out my nutrition as well.

I feel strongly that I can finish a HIM, but I'm also realistic about what it will take for me to get there and it just isn't in the cards for 2016. So I'll build my strength more at the Olympic level, but building beyond that towards the HIM in 2017.
2015-11-09 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by rjchilds8
Originally posted by HelmoAlkou >Man, you can do a HIM!  Just build your volume slow and consistently and work on nutrition!
I'm looking at this as a 2 year plan. My goal is to build up my bike and run distances as stand alone events in 2016. My wife and I are actually planning to run several half marathons next year and I plan to do at least one half century ride. I want to do 2 Olympic events plus at least 2 more sprints, also. Then I'll aim to put it all together in 2017 and go for that HIM! Between my age, the wear and tear on my body, and having somewhat limited training time due to family and work commitments, I just don't have any faith in my ability to make that kind of jump in a single year. After all, I just did my first (and only) Olympic this year and that came with some serious cramping on the run. So, yes, I've got to figure out my nutrition as well. I feel strongly that I can finish a HIM, but I'm also realistic about what it will take for me to get there and it just isn't in the cards for 2016. So I'll build my strength more at the Olympic level, but building beyond that towards the HIM in 2017.

Great plan!  I will admit, my son moved out last year and my daughter just started college.  That opened my schedule up considerably.  

2015-11-14 9:26 PM

User image

Registered last minute for a 5 mile trail run. I had heard about it thru a local run group. Decided I had no plans and needed to get a run in on Saturday, so why not. I haven't been able to average 5 miles during any week in the last two months but have occasionally run 5.5 or 6 and needed a long run for this week. So I approached this as a training run with lots of people around. The race was to be held at a local state park about 45 minutes away. I have been trying to find time to checkout the trails. I love running in the fall and the weather here has been great when its not raining. So I was a little amped up. I haven't run a trail race since finishing XC in the fall of 1998. Race plan first three miles @ 8:30 pace and then see what I have left for the last two.

I arrived to the race a little more than an hour before the start to pickup my packet. I waffled on whether or not to wear a long sleeve shirt. It was a little colder than usual about 45 and a little colder in the shade. Since most of the run I thought would be in the shade I decided to go long sleeve after changing 3 times.

I positioned myself toward the back of the start and my gun vs chip time was 4 sec. The first two miles were actually on a road. It was closed off and had several turns. This was overall a downhill for two miles, but most of the elevation change was in the first mile. The first mile was in 8:18, I slow a little as the course flattens out and hit the second mile in 8:29. After settling in I slowly focused on picking up a few runners. Around the 2 mile point we finally hit the woods. After the first 1/4 mile in the woods, we hit a beach and run 1/4 in the sand. At this point I was running with 3 others. After the sand we dropped 1 of the group and then start to thin a little more in turns, and on the roots in the woods. Overall for the last 2.5 miles we climbed but it was gradual and barely noticeable. The trails are pretty good in my opinion, but a number of people thought it was too rooty. We crossed a number of boardwalks that were a little slick. At the 3 mile mark I notice my GPS is no longer running turn. Must have lost the signal and my pace was no longer accurate. I feel like I am working harder but the watch says I am putting up 10 minute miles. Ran on feel. By 3.5 my legs were tightening up and by 4 my foot problem returned. I see the nature center and make a final surge, there is no one to pass. Gun time 42:01, chip 41:57. I don't know what my last 2 miles were in but I averaged the same for the first 2 miles, and the last 3 miles. I was 34 of 99, and 5 of 8 in men 30 to 39.

Overall pretty satisfied.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
2015-11-16 7:05 AM

User image

I have also been toying with the idea of pushing for a HIM next year. But after a lot of reflection I decided not to. Part of it was looking at the volumes, and time needed to get those volumes. When I started this; I liked the fact that it didn't eat up all my time, and much of the time I did devote to this was while my family was sleeping. If I started training 15 hours a week that would not be the case. Maybe when the kids are a little older. It is a deadly trap because we constantly want to do more and go longer. Race days for a sprint are no big deal. Olys take a bit more out of you and take a good chunk out of your day, but aren't to bad. I imagine a HIM would leave me pretty sore for a week.

In NC they are doing a series of 50's (1mile, 40 mile, 9 mile) for the state parks this year but none of the workout for time, and many are too far away.

This year I will focus on sprints and Olympic events. My tentative calender is

Azalea Sprint 3/12 - pool swim
Whitelake Sprint 4/24 - OWS
Pinehurst International 5/24 - OWS
Triangle Sprint 7/13 - OWS
Washington Sprint 8/27 - OWS
Arlington International 10/1 - OWS

This gets me 5 races in the local series, plus one by another group that is a couple towns over.
May look for a half marathon for June.

Nate

2015-11-16 5:24 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

I have also been toying with the idea of pushing for a HIM next year.

Same here, Nate. I don't know if you saw my earlier post, but I'm looking at a 2-year plan to get there. I just know that I won't have enough time in my schedule to get there this year. Like I was saying, this year coming up I will work on extending my distances at the individual events. I want to do 2 Olympics this year, plus another 2-3 sprints. I also am planning on at least one half marathon and am on the hunt for a half-century ride. My plan will be to maintain as much of my fitness as possible over the winter 2016 and then put it all together for the Timberman 70.3 in 2017.
2015-11-16 5:25 PM

User image

Registered last minute for a 5 mile trail run. I had heard about it thru a local run group. Decided I had no plans and needed to get a run in on Saturday, so why not. I haven't been able to average 5 miles during any week in the last two months but have occasionally run 5.5 or 6 and needed a long run for this week. So I approached this as a training run with lots of people around. The race was to be held at a local state park about 45 minutes away. I have been trying to find time to checkout the trails. I love running in the fall and the weather here has been great when its not raining. So I was a little amped up. I haven't run a trail race since finishing XC in the fall of 1998. Race plan first three miles @ 8:30 pace and then see what I have left for the last two.

Nice job! You not ony beat your pace for the first 3 miles, you beat it for the entire race!
2015-11-17 5:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by nrpoulin Registered last minute for a 5 mile trail run.

Good race.  Congrats!

2015-11-17 8:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin I have also been toying with the idea of pushing for a HIM next year. But after a lot of reflection I decided not to. Part of it was looking at the volumes, and time needed to get those volumes. When I started this; I liked the fact that it didn't eat up all my time, and much of the time I did devote to this was while my family was sleeping. If I started training 15 hours a week that would not be the case. Maybe when the kids are a little older. It is a deadly trap because we constantly want to do more and go longer. Race days for a sprint are no big deal. Olys take a bit more out of you and take a good chunk out of your day, but aren't to bad. I imagine a HIM would leave me pretty sore for a week. In NC they are doing a series of 50's (1mile, 40 mile, 9 mile) for the state parks this year but none of the workout for time, and many are too far away. This year I will focus on sprints and Olympic events. My tentative calender is Azalea Sprint 3/12 - pool swim Whitelake Sprint 4/24 - OWS Pinehurst International 5/24 - OWS Triangle Sprint 7/13 - OWS Washington Sprint 8/27 - OWS Arlington International 10/1 - OWS This gets me 5 races in the local series, plus one by another group that is a couple towns over. May look for a half marathon for June. Nate

You could do a HIM on 16 weeks at around 10 hours per week. There would be a couple of weeks pushing 12-15 hours but also some recovery weeks that would be in the 4-6 range.  so you don't need 15 hours per week for 6 months or so just to get one. Just my thoughts, so if you really wanted to do one, you could get it on 10 hours/week for 4 months.

Also, I looked at those 50 mile races in NC. Sounds really cool. There are 5 races I believe and I thought they were going to make it a series with accumulated season points, kind of like what I have down here with the Georgia Endurance Series. I inquired but they said they would be stand alone events, at least for this year. I may still come up and do one. I really liked the GFT 1/3 race I just did, and the 50 mile is very similar. 

Edited by Dominion 2015-11-17 8:06 AM
2015-11-17 5:58 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by Dominion

Originally posted by nrpoulin I have also been toying with the idea of pushing for a HIM next year.

You could do a HIM on 16 weeks at around 10 hours per week. There would be a couple of weeks pushing 12-15 hours but also some recovery weeks that would be in the 4-6 range.  so you don't need 15 hours per week for 6 months or so just to get one. Just my thoughts, so if you really wanted to do one, you could get it on 10 hours/week for 4 months. 

Agreed! 

Recovery: My first HIM I was tired and sore for a day or two, not bad.  It was really hot and humid that day and it took a lot out of me.  Not as much as screwing up my hydration did though.  My next couple of HIM's I slammed recovery drinks, took a power nap, and went out on the town with my wife!  But I do like to take the following day off for travel.  It's all about nutrition and hydration!

2015-11-18 10:09 AM

User image

Also, I looked at those 50 mile races in NC. Sounds really cool. There are 5 races I believe and I thought they were going to make it a series with accumulated season points, kind of like what I have down here with the Georgia Endurance Series. I inquired but they said they would be stand alone events, at least for this year. I may still come up and do one. I really liked the GFT 1/3 race I just did, and the 50 mile is very similar. 

How are those 10 hours a week allocated? How many hours devoted to running, biking, and swimming? With so little time in a week, it doesn't seem like you'd ever actually be able to complete more than about half of the actual race distance. I'm just curious how that works.

Randy
2015-11-18 5:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Speaking very generally, a typical week may look something like

2 hours swimming (2 sessions)

4.5-5 hours bike ( 3 rides)

3- 3.5 hours running (5 runs: 90 minute EZ / 50- 60 harder / 30 min / 30 min  / 20 min  brick run)

Some weeks will be bike focused with maybe 4 or 5 rides and only 3 runs for example. I always try to get to the pool twice a week. So 2 hours may be your actual pool time spent training./swimming but it may take 3 or 4 hours of your "real time" depending how far away your pool is, etc.

Edited by Dominion 2015-11-18 5:40 PM
2015-11-19 2:35 PM

User image

Its the real time that is the actual problem.
I swam a mile yesterday with the twenty minute drive x 2, the changing twice, and showering my 28 minute swim was an hour and a half
For running there is the changing, stretching, then the run, then stretching, and showering showering. Even a thirty minute run takes 60 minutes. On the plus side the 90 minute run would only be 120 minutes. Same story with the bike, but its usually a little worse cause I have to check tires, and get water and snacks ready.

But 10 hours of actual training is better than 15 of actually training. Maybe soon.

Nate
2015-11-20 9:02 AM

User image

Speaking very generally, a typical week may look something like

2 hours swimming (2 sessions)

4.5-5 hours bike ( 3 rides)

3- 3.5 hours running (5 runs: 90 minute EZ / 50- 60 harder / 30 min / 30 min  / 20 min  brick run)

Some weeks will be bike focused with maybe 4 or 5 rides and only 3 runs for example. I always try to get to the pool twice a week. So 2 hours may be your actual pool time spent training./swimming but it may take 3 or 4 hours of your "real time" depending how far away your pool is, etc.

OK, so you're pulling a lot of "double duty" to get those workouts in. I know you're just giving this as an example, but that would add up to 10 workouts. Assuming you took one day off as a recovery day, that would mean that 4 out of 6 training days would involve 2 workouts a day. I know some articles I've read say that you could look at swim workouts almost like a recovery day because of how different swimming is from biking and running (I'm assuming due to using essentially completely different muscle groups) and how it is low impact.

How much of a difference do you think it would make if you put in the same number of hours, but fewer workouts? For example, 2 rides still totaling 4.5-5 hours, so you're putting in the same amount of time but longer distances and training a little less frequently. Or, 3 runs of 1-1.5 hours each rather than 5 shorter runs? Are you doing more frequent, but shorter, workouts because they are easier to recover from? Is it a time issue? I'm just wondering about different approaches to achieve the same overall training time.

Thanks!

Randy
2015-11-20 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Yes, it is just a general example. Some weeks would be more bike focused, some run focused. Some weeks might be only 4 runs but one would be a 120 minute long run. I think it would be very difficult to do a HIM well on just 6 workouts per week. That being 1 per day with a rest day. No way to get the volume in that you need. That would look like 2 workouts of each. You might could "get by" with 2 swims and 2 bikes but you'll need to run much more than twice per week.  

Sometimes I incorporate a ride and swim together. I'll ride to the pool taking "the long way" for about 30 miles. Get my swim in, then 10 miles pushing it hard back home. Double workouts might also look like a morning swim and then an afternoon run. Sometimes a morning run and then join the weekly group ride that evening. Could be a morning swim, evening run, and then a trainer session later that night before bed. There are many ways to mix and match, but I think frequency trumps fewer but longer, especially concerning running.

2015-11-21 6:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Three really good weeks of off season training then this week.  Blah!  I'm on day shift and can't seem to get anything done away from work much less training wise.  Next week is Thanksgiving and we're headed out camping.  So...

Happy (early) Thanksgiving!  Have a great week!

2015-11-22 5:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Thanks Monty!

Happy thanksgiving to you and your family as well.

I'm not getting much done this week myself. Battling a slight hamsting strain. Messing up my run focus off-season. Oh well, time to change plans I guess and get in the pool until it heals.

2015-11-24 8:58 PM

User image

Subject: Starting over
Man, first time in the pool in over 2 months! Felt a little strange. I didn't do bad considering how long I've been away. I just have to remind myself to ease into it and not try to do too much too soon.

Happy Turkey Day to everyone!
2015-12-01 1:24 PM

User image

Subject: RE: October totals

SWIM 2h 18m 17s - 7800.00 Yd
BIKE 59m - 17.15 Mi
RUN 9h 39m 50s - 66.15 M

Overall good month. Increased my run as I planned. Only squeezed in one bike, and swam consistently once a month as planned. Was also able to drop my average mile pace while adding distance.

Still haven't ran in my new orthotics. Still breaking them in.

Nate

Okay here are my totals for November. Got sick toward the end of the month and went easy one week and as I didn't feel better took the next completely off.

SWIM1h 23m 51s - 4800.00 Yd
RUN 8h 40m 41s - 59.65 M

Overall a solid month for me all things considered. Still trying to stretch a couple the runs to build but most of them are still under 5 miles.

Nate

2015-12-02 8:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Ha, I'm not even posting my November totals. That was my month off plus nursing the hamstring strain. But It's December now and I have a HM in 2 months. Time to get back to it. Also time to get the strength work in. Sometimes strength training gets lost in the race season, just not enough time. So now is the time to get back in the gym!

2015-12-02 2:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: November totals

I got a little done in November, close to what I had planned.  This month ramps up with a minimum of two workouts per week in each discipline for four weeks then I start my 20 week training plan.  I had a good swim in the pool this morning just working on my stroke.  It's amazing how fast you can lose it.

Swim - 1h 24m 55s - 3800.00 Yd

Bike - 4h 45m 42s - 68.27 M

Run - 6h 43m 33s - 38.00 M

2015-12-02 9:13 PM

User image

Ha, I'm not even posting my November totals. That was my month off plus nursing the hamstring strain. But It's December now and I have a HM in 2 months. Time to get back to it. Also time to get the strength work in. Sometimes strength training gets lost in the race season, just not enough time. So now is the time to get back in the gym!

Same here. I did do some running in November, but overall my workouts dropped off fairly considerably. I'm not even interested in posting November totals. I started to get back into a routine this week, so we'll see how December goes.
2015-12-04 1:51 AM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: November totals
S: 9,030.00 yards
B: 179 miles
R: 38 miles

I got back in the pool for the first time in 2 1/2 months in November, and boy! could I sure feel it! I'm still working on building up my swim skills to my pathetic pre-break level. It will probably take me a few more swim sessions, but I'm back into it. All my bike miles are on the indoor trainer, and most of my running miles have been on the treadmill, with the exception the National Veterans Day 11K run. I ran the 5K last year; bumped it up to the next level this year by running the 11K.

So, in September, I entered Tri-Equal's "Equally Inspiring" competition ( http://triequal.org/index.php/2015/09/08/triequal-launches-equally-... ) and was one of 40 women selected from a pool of about 500 applicants. It is an honor to have been chosen, and I'll work with a new coach, as part of the program, starting in January, up until my HIM in April. I'm supposed to blog and stuff about my experience, so I'll need to work on that. I've never been much of a blogger because, frankly, I don't think I do anything blogworthy. And, I'm much more of a technical writer than a story teller, so my writing is not very interesting. But, maybe I can write something that will inspire someone somewhere to take charge of her life. As long as she can safely get away from any toxic relationship that might be holding her back, she can do it. (This goes for men, too. As a crisis line volunteer, I've heard my share of horror stories from men caught in toxic, abusive relationships!) I think people get caught up in "I could never do that" thinking about sports competitions, when what they really means is "I could never do that AND WIN." It's not about coming in first; it's about improving yourself and crossing that finish line, even if you're dead last, as I have been several times. Every time I cross that finish line, I win. Especially if they hand me a chocolate milk at the end!

Also, it's time once again for the USA Triathlon National Challenge Competition! I'm guessing if you don't know about it, then you're probably not affiliated with a participating triathlon club. This is a three-month competition where triathlon teams from around the country log their swim, bike, and run miles to compete against each other as a means of staying motivated through the winter. If you're a tri-team orphan like me, you can sign up to be a member of Team USAT. Last year, I was one of Team USAT's top competitors, and it certainly kept me motivated with swimming and running, although I couldn't find it in myself to ride my trainer much last winter, LOL. Anyway, if you're interested, you can find out more info at http://www.race-tracker.net. It's not too late! You can still log your miles from the beginning of the month. I believe you do have to be a USAT member to participate. Team USAT could use a few more people!
2015-12-05 1:45 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: November totals

Congrats!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  

of 36

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28944 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?