BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2015-01-14 8:38 PM
in reply to: ecpasos

Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group - Open
I need to check. I imagine there's probably one. I'm actually thinking about signing up for a lap-swim class for 8 weeks starting Jan. 30, but I"m not certain if they'll be doing stroke mechanics or not (there's another stroke-specific class, but it's at a bad time for me).

Then, of course, there's the coach/instructor option.

2015-01-14 8:53 PM
in reply to: NOVADan

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Originally posted by NOVADan

Got in 21 minutes of swimming tonight (though I'd imagine at least half of that may have been hanging onto the side of the pool trying to catch my breath. Total swim was 500 yards.

WU 25x4 / kick 25x2
50x3 with 30 seconds rest (ended up being 50, 25, 25, 50, and the last lap of the 50 was largely breastroke)
25x2 catchup
Kick 25
25x2 catchup
Kick 25
25x2

Any thoughts on how to move from here to doing more non-stop swimming. Even the 50s are hard at this point. Step one is just getting to the pool regularly I guess. And a close second to that is probably finding someone to assist with my form. Beyond that, though .... ???

Also, what does everyone think of coaches for someone just hoping to finish, not really "race"? Worth the money?

I'm not saying my results are necessarily typical, but I got by just by doing some research into an efficient swim technique. My first tri, I didn't perform up to my training, but my second tri (a week later) was more in line with my training and I finished 158/297 (beating close to 47% of the field). I definitely don't want to dispute the help you might get from a coach. I'm only pointing out that you can do better than just survive the swim on your own. To returning members, I'll probably sound like a broken record, but the two main web sites I used to improve my swim were www.swimsmooth.com (and their useful/free app called Mr. Smooth) and www.totalimmersion.net. You can find a lot of the Total Immersion videos on youtube. Swimsmooth.com has some really good articles, even for beginners.

In the early going, I focused more on trying to work on technique and paid less attention to speed. Once I felt better about my stroke mechanics, then I started to work more at becoming faster. Again, I'm not saying that is necessarily the best way to go, just that it worked for me.
2015-01-14 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by NOVADan Got in 21 minutes of swimming tonight (though I'd imagine at least half of that may have been hanging onto the side of the pool trying to catch my breath. Total swim was 500 yards. WU 25x4 / kick 25x2 50x3 with 30 seconds rest (ended up being 50, 25, 25, 50, and the last lap of the 50 was largely breastroke) 25x2 catchup Kick 25 25x2 catchup Kick 25 25x2 Any thoughts on how to move from here to doing more non-stop swimming. Even the 50s are hard at this point. Step one is just getting to the pool regularly I guess. And a close second to that is probably finding someone to assist with my form. Beyond that, though .... ??? Also, what does everyone think of coaches for someone just hoping to finish, not really "race"? Worth the money?

Hang in there, Dan.  Someday that 500 will be your warm-up.  

The master's class Enrique mentioned is a good idea, but you are already on the right track.  I preach consistency all the time.  You just have to get to the pool and start putting in a little volume.  You should see swim fitness increases fairly quickly.  Within a few sessions you won't be so out of breath and hanging on the sides anymore.  Now speed and better form/technique may take a little more time and that's where the masters class and/or a coach can help.  

As for the coaching question, I may be a little biased as I am coaching a few clients now, but I really think it is dependent on the individual situation.  The guys I am coaching now have a year or two under their belt and are looking to move up to a more competitive standing, but I do know of beginners who have used coaches to "learn how to train".  To learn what a program looks like, and what they need to be doing.  They find that routine, and start to figure things out then 6 months or a year down the road, they are no longer just looking to finish, but on the other hand they no longer need the coach because they have evolved their own knowledge of what does and doesn't work for them.  Is it "worth the money" I think depends on how much the fee is and how much disposable income one is willing to put into what is essentially a hobby.  Many established coaches are charging $250-300 a month and I have even seen one top tier coach getting $600/month.  Now those numbers are probably way off the scale for someone just starting out and wanting to finish but there are coaches willing to help out for substantially less (trust me on that one!).  So like anything else, I think it really depends on the value an individual places on the service. 

2015-01-14 10:51 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Originally posted by NOVADan

Any thoughts on how to move from here to doing more non-stop swimming. Even the 50s are hard at this point. Step one is just getting to the pool regularly I guess. And a close second to that is probably finding someone to assist with my form. Beyond that, though .... ???

Also, what does everyone think of coaches for someone just hoping to finish, not really "race"? Worth the money?

I would echo what everyone else says. I was in pretty much the same position last March--I could swim only about 30 yards without stopping. It was very discouraging, but I just kept at it and by probably the end of April, I could swim a couple hundred yards without stopping. I can now easily swim a mile. I haven't had the fortunate of living in an area with any kind of coaches, so I just watched YouTube videos to improve my swimming ability. (And learn how to swim freestyle.) It was enough to get me through my first tri season, and I think I did fairly well. But probably this summer, I'll make a weekly four-hour pilgrimage to the city to participate in Master's classes, if I can find one, so I can move to the next level.
2015-01-15 8:41 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

There are lots of good training vids out there.  Having a buddy to watch them and critique you as you swim is a big help.  Also, check with your local school/city for swim teams.  Our coaches let the adults swim on one end of the pool during their practice and they're always willing to give advise.  Doesn't cost anything more than the annual pool pass to get in.

Thought I would share this article I read today:

12 Habits of Highly Motivated Runners

2015-01-15 10:11 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group
I'm in for another go round!

Name: Scott

Background: I'm married and have 2 young kids. My daughter will be turning 5 in April and my son is 2. It's tough finding time to get all my scheduled workouts in with the family but I'm doing what can. Especially the swims and bike rides. Running is my strong point and gets axed first it seems. This will be my second full year of triathlons and most will be the Olympic distance with a few sprints scattered into the mix.

I live the "Thumb" of Michigan and it's currently very cold. I have made it outside for some chilly runs but not as many as I should. Swimming I have access to an endless pool once a week and sometimes twice a week and I make a trip to the city on the weekends for a swim in the college pool. Biking consists of the trainer. I recently have tried trainerroad.com and I see how it can be helpful, I just wish it included distance traveled when ya finish. Think I'll be sticking to just watching tv or video while on the trainer to pass time.

My next triathlon is indoors and has a bike, run, swim format. Looking forward to warmer weather and race season!

Looking forward to another go round with this group!

Scott

2015-01-15 2:53 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Welcome back Scott! Glad to have you.

2015-01-15 5:45 PM

User image

, Idaho
I'm in and excited.
Rod
2015-01-15 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
2015-01-15 8:30 PM

User image

, Idaho
That is awesome and very needed information. Thanks
2015-01-15 8:42 PM
in reply to: cleverrod

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Hi Cleverrod,

If you would like to join just post up a short bio about yourself.  Who you are and your background and what your goals are.  

2015-01-15 9:15 PM

User image

, Idaho
Hello my name is Rod and I am addicted to exercise. I will be turning 54 years old this spring.I started running cross country track in high school and have been running ever since. Running and cycling are my strong points. By far my weakness is swimming. I have ran several Marathons and have raced in several Centry cycle races but have always wanted to do a triathlon. The thing that has held me back was swimming. When I was 10 years old I almost drown, so swimming scares me to death.This time last year I set the goal to do a Olympic length triathlon. I started swimming at the gym I belong to. It only took me a week of swimming everyday to get my face wet. I can say that I have not completely over come my fear of water but it is getting better. Once I signed up for the triathlon I was committed. In July 2014 I ran my first triathlon. I loved it and have signed up to do two more this summer.My goals are to train faster and race faster. To be more efficient at swimming, cycling and running.
2015-01-17 10:02 AM

User image

New user
Watford
Hi,

I was a member of this group last year, really enjoyed being a member and would like to join again.

My name it Tony Abbott, 44 year old office worker with a wife and two girls (10 and 14).
I took part in my first tri in September 2013, which was a super sprint. I followed this up with sprints in May and July at the London tri .

This year I plan two more sprints in May and June, followed by my first Olympic distance in Aug at the Virgin London tri.

Hopefully there will still be room in the group.

Thanks- Tony
2015-01-17 12:09 PM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Sitting at work looking out the window at a blue sky, light wind, and 65*F.  There's something really wrong with this picture!!

Anyone getting in some endurance training today?

2015-01-17 6:56 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Yes! Woke up to a blanket of new snow and got some great cross country skiing in this morning. Cross country skiing is one of the best workouts a person can get. More snow is falling tonight, so skiing should be good all weekend. I'll hit the pool for a thousand yards or so tonight. Last night, I did a personal best on the treadmill--ran 5K in 39:51, my fastest time ever! I have a 5K race next weekend; I'm really hopeful I can do a personal best there, as well, but it's also partly dependent on road conditions. If it's icy, I'll take my time, rather than take my chances.
2015-01-17 9:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

Sitting at work looking out the window at a blue sky, light wind, and 65*F.  There's something really wrong with this picture!!

That doesn't sound great. I got a 5K race in today. It was a beautiful day and perfect for a run.

2015-01-17 9:53 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by burner2

Yes! Woke up to a blanket of new snow and got some great cross country skiing in this morning. Cross country skiing is one of the best workouts a person can get. More snow is falling tonight, so skiing should be good all weekend. I'll hit the pool for a thousand yards or so tonight. Last night, I did a personal best on the treadmill--ran 5K in 39:51, my fastest time ever! I have a 5K race next weekend; I'm really hopeful I can do a personal best there, as well, but it's also partly dependent on road conditions. If it's icy, I'll take my time, rather than take my chances.

Yeah, I've never done cross country skiing but I hear it really is a great workout!
2015-01-17 9:54 PM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by TonyAbbott

Hi,

I was a member of this group last year, really enjoyed being a member and would like to join again.

My name it Tony Abbott, 44 year old office worker with a wife and two girls (10 and 14).
I took part in my first tri in September 2013, which was a super sprint. I followed this up with sprints in May and July at the London tri .

This year I plan two more sprints in May and June, followed by my first Olympic distance in Aug at the Virgin London tri.

Hopefully there will still be room in the group.

Thanks- Tony

Welcome!
2015-01-17 9:57 PM
in reply to: cleverrod

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by cleverrod

Hello my name is Rod and I am addicted to exercise. I will be turning 54 years old this spring.I started running cross country track in high school and have been running ever since. Running and cycling are my strong points. By far my weakness is swimming. I have ran several Marathons and have raced in several Centry cycle races but have always wanted to do a triathlon. The thing that has held me back was swimming. When I was 10 years old I almost drown, so swimming scares me to death.This time last year I set the goal to do a Olympic length triathlon. I started swimming at the gym I belong to. It only took me a week of swimming everyday to get my face wet. I can say that I have not completely over come my fear of water but it is getting better. Once I signed up for the triathlon I was committed. In July 2014 I ran my first triathlon. I loved it and have signed up to do two more this summer.My goals are to train faster and race faster. To be more efficient at swimming, cycling and running.

Hi, swimming was my biggest weakness, but over time, I've gotten pretty good at it. Working on technique is one of the main things that really helped me a lot. I haven't had a lot of time to hit the pool this winter yet... I'm way behind in my training, but I think there's enough time to prepare for a half ironman coming up. Welcome!
2015-01-18 2:32 AM
in reply to: #5075698

If there's still room I want in! I can use all the advice and support I can get!

My story: Circa 2007 as I was loosing weight for my wedding somehow the thought of triathlon popped into my head. I couldn't even run 5 consistent minutes. Triathlon seemed a distant nightmare. ?? Fast forward six years, two babies and lots of weight yo yo's and I completed my first sprint triathlon...followed by a super sprint and another sprint.

Goals for 2015: Half as Big. Twice as strong. I jumped on the new year new me bandwagon. Nutrition has been huge. I am in the process of adopting a real food diet as best I can and it's been going well. I am really interested in learning how to best fuel my body esp for races. I have broken up with my scale and focusing on putting good food in my body and training. Currently I have masters swim 1x/wk, performance cycle 1x/wk and I tend to get at least one run in (my weakness by far). I also teach Zumba 1-2x/week.

2015 races: Soldier Field 10 miler (this one scares the bejesus outta me), Esprit de She Sprint Tri, potentially Prairie Point Olympic if I can muster the courage and if the 10 miler goes well then maybe a half marathon late season (yikes!!).

My confidence is my biggest enemy. I'm slow but I'm steady. ??
2015-01-18 7:03 AM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts

1900 meters in the pool with a long set of 900 meters. I think I just ran out of fuel. At about 800 meters, my stomach started to do flips. All I ate before going to the pool was a Clif Bar, so I'll make sure to take in more food next time. Outside temps were in the teens, so I'd love 65!

2015-01-18 3:19 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

Cross country travel day for me. Got some elliptical work in on Friday after finding the treadmills were taken and I had left my winter running gear at home. Yesterday I ended up doing 600 yards in the pool, 100 of which was kickboard, but the bulk of it was two sets of 50x4. I ended up doing breaststroke on a few of the last lengths of those sets, but its still some minor improvement. Hoping to get some good running in this week with better weather on the left coast.

Hope everyone has enjoyed their weekends.
2015-01-19 8:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I figured out how to respond. I am usually on my phone looking @ the site. Mobile version does have response to post.

Edited by sillycat2000 2015-01-19 8:25 AM
2015-01-19 8:23 AM

User image

That is great link. Thanks. We need to reminded every once in awhile these simple things.
2015-01-19 8:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Thanks for the info. It is do true. Put in your time now & your paycheck will be big on race day.

Edited by sillycat2000 2015-01-19 8:28 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  

of 36

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29147 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?