BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2015-01-25 10:07 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Subject: RE: Foot cramps!
Originally posted by rjchilds8
But from what at least one article was saying, it may have negative effects in an endurance event. So maybe I only drink it during the start of my training season and then taper off my consumption as my strength and fitness improves and see if I no longer get the cramps.

Yeah, that makes sense. Experimentation during your training is the key I think. That way you figure it out before race day.

2015-01-25 6:27 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Personal Best!!!

Originally posted by burner2 Frostbite 5K Official time: 40:50 Course length: 3.51 miles A personal best! My first 5K of 2015, and my first race with my GPS watch. It was about 36F, foggy, and drizzling, which is perfect weather for me. I started out strong and stayed pretty strong for the first half of the race. When I felt like I was running slow, I'd check my speed on my GPS watch and find out I was running faster than I thought, which really gave me a lot of encouragement. I ran my first mile in 11:17, which is really, really fast for me and faster than any time I'd ever posted, including time running on the treadmill. My second mile was 12:00, which is also really fast for me. After about the second mile, I started to slow down a bit, but my GPS watch still showed me running a good pace, which kept me running and encouraged me to push myself even harder. I found without the GPS watch, I was comparing my speed to other people, which is very discouraging, even though I'm not racing against them--I'm racing against me. My GPS watch gave me the visual feedback I need to let me know I was NOT running slow (for me) and that I was going faster than I thought. I'm really glad I took the plunge and bought it! I cut almost two minutes per mile off my time just having that visual feedback. My watch was well worth the money! I've been in physical therapy for about two months, and it has really paid off, as has losing another 12 pounds since my last race at the beginning of December. My left leg didn't stiffen up, and I didn't end up shuffling at all. I had no trouble lifting my feet high enough to clear the ground. My hips also didn't hurt enough to cause me any discomfort. What slowed me down the most this time was my own physical ability--I just plain got tired. That's something I can fix with more running, and the stronger I get, the more running I can do. My next race will probably be the St. Paddy's Day race in Spokane in March. It's five miles, not 5K, which will be longer than any race I've ever run, and good practice for Bloomsday's 7.2 mile run in May. I had planned to do an indoor triathlon at the end of February, but I will be having a surgical procedure in a couple of weeks that will keep me out of the pool for a while. It's actually kind of nice because I'm pretty competitive and don't take time off from training, so this is kind of like a "get out of training guilt-free card" from my doctor. So, it looks like my first triathlon of the year will again be the Troika at the end of May. I'm really looking forward to it because I've raced that course twice now, so it will give me a good benchmark not only of my winter training, but also of my summer training as I will race the same course in August for the West Plains Wunderwoman Tri. And yeah, I've suffered from foot cramps in the pool. They're from pushing off from the wall. If I feel myself starting to get them, I stop pushing off from the wall for a couple of laps. It's annoying, but keeps the cramps away. Drinking pickle juice can make you stink. You might not know it, but those around you will.

Sounds like another great race, Cassandra!  At 3.5 miles though, I don't see how they can call it a 5K.  That's a 36 minute 5k pace..Great Job!

2015-01-25 7:45 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: RE: Personal Best!!!
Originally posted by Dominion

Sounds like another great race, Cassandra!  At 3.5 miles though, I don't see how they can call it a 5K.  That's a 36 minute 5k pace..Great Job!

Thanks! The race was originally planned as a 5K, but snow and ice issues created a last-minute route change. It was a bit confusing as both my friend and I thought we'd reached the finish line at one point, only to find out we had to run around the high school and back to the front to reach it. I even had to stop and ask somebody where to go. I'm not sure why they did that, except perhaps they didn't want the race ending in the parking lot during the town's major winter festival. But, we both posted personal bests, so we drove home very, very happy.
2015-01-26 9:48 AM

Downingtown , Pennsylvania
I too have suffered some pretty serious cramping issues in marathons and have had the foot cramps in the pool from time to time. While the cause of cramps does seem to be uncertain according to much of the literature I've seen, my own experience is that it has something to do with diet/hydration. I sweat a lot when I work out and believe it or not, you can get dehydrated while swimming - you just don't notice it. This can be compounded if you started the swim under-hydrated. I tend to think cramps come from lack of potassium and salt (--why they often give out bananas post race). A couple of years ago I started using First Endurance EFS for hydration. It has a lot of electrolytes (I think the most of any sports drinks). I used it this past summer at Eagleman (which was extremely hot) and had no cramping issues. Another good source for potassium is coconut water and there's actually a powered coconut water sports drink out there (I have some at home but I can't remember what it's called. My suggestion would be to add some potassium to your workout nutrition, make sure you are well-hydrated before the swim and drink during your workout too.

Good luck

Todd R.
2015-01-26 1:48 PM
in reply to: healthlawyer

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

I got some REAL good news last week and haven't had time to post it.  My surgeon gave me a clean bill of health!  The clavicle is healed 100%, FINALLY!  And, my foot is feeling better and better every week.  Saturday was my scheduled half mary and really didn't want to risk it so i ran the 5K with a friend who's just starting out.  It was nice to show up w/o any expectations and have a good time.

Just put 90 minutes on the bike now I'm trying these new recovery legging I got for Christmas.  I hope everyone has a good start to their week!!

Oh, I just started using RoadID's free Iphone app and it's really cool.  My wife gets a text that I've started my bike ride, she can follow alone and see where I'm at in my route, and it alerts her if I haven't moved in five minutes.  Check it out!

2015-01-26 3:39 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Hi, Well I put in 48 miles on my trainer yesterday. That was 3 hours!! Longest ever I think....

2015-01-26 5:30 PM
in reply to: ecpasos

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

3 hours on the trainer, sounds like a form of torture!  I went 32 miles today,1:39:39 and it was plenty for me.  Longest I've been is 35 and don't plan to go longer!

2015-01-26 9:17 PM

User image

Wow. I have trouble getting past an hour on the trainer, and that is while watching a movie. Great work!
Great race Cass.
I was pretty happy to get 2 swims, 2 bikes, and 2 runs this week.

Nate
2015-01-26 10:45 PM

User image

What is the easiest way to measure distance on the trainer? I was looking at some sensors and stuff but I am not terribly tech savvy...
And kudos on three hours...longest I've managed to do is 75 min on the trainer ??
2015-01-27 6:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Originally posted by doreb

What is the easiest way to measure distance on the trainer? I was looking at some sensors and stuff but I am not terribly tech savvy...
And kudos on three hours...longest I've managed to do is 75 min on the trainer ??

I've only done maybe 4 or 5 workouts on the trainer, but the longest I've done so far is 50:00! I was curious about measuring distance on the trainer, too. I have a speedometer with the sensor mounted on the front forks. I have considered moving that sensor to the rear forks. I don't see why it would be any less accurate than if it was on the front. It's just counting revolutions, right? Actually, my bigger question was how comparable the speeds were. If it says I'm going 18 mph on my trainer, is that really how fast I would be going on level ground at the same effort level? I haven't tried it yet, but I wondered just how closely the speed on the trainer would compare to your actual speed while riding. For one, there's no wind resistance on the trainer, so it wouldn't seem it would be that accurate.

Edited by rjchilds8 2015-01-27 6:38 AM
2015-01-27 7:17 AM

User image

New user

I've only done maybe 4 or 5 workouts on the trainer, but the longest I've done so far is 50:00! I was curious about measuring distance on the trainer, too. I have a speedometer with the sensor mounted on the front forks. I have considered moving that sensor to the rear forks. I don't see why it would be any less accurate than if it was on the front. It's just counting revolutions, right? Actually, my bigger question was how comparable the speeds were. If it says I'm going 18 mph on my trainer, is that really how fast I would be going on level ground at the same effort level? I haven't tried it yet, but I wondered just how closely the speed on the trainer would compare to your actual speed while riding. For one, there's no wind resistance on the trainer, so it wouldn't seem it would be that accurate.

My personal perspective on the trainer is that it's just not the same as riding on the road. Using a speedometer on the trainer and going 18 mph on it in my mind does not compare to riding on the road. The road has too many other variables (resistances) to factor in. 18 mph on the trainer to me is just a very rough idea of how far I may have traveled outside. My rides on the trainer have always been faster than what I can do on the open road. I do try to keep the resistance on mine up in order to better simulate the road. I'm curious as to what others thoughts are on this as well. However a trainer is better than doing nothin at all.

I've recently discovered trainerroad.com and find it very motivational once I drag my butt down to the trainer. It has you training via virtual power for those like me that can't afford the real deal and after doing the FTP fit test it works you pretty good. You do need a bluetooth or ANT+ cadence/speed sensor and the adapters for your phone/cpu but I have found it to be worth the investment so far. Although trainerroad doesn't show you your current speed but there is a file you can download after to see how far you "may have traveled".

Scott

2015-01-27 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by doreb What is the easiest way to measure distance on the trainer? I was looking at some sensors and stuff but I am not terribly tech savvy... And kudos on three hours...longest I've managed to do is 75 min on the trainer ??

That's a great question, Dore.  There are a few different ways to go about it, but probably the cheapest and simplest way is what Randy said.  You can just move your basic computer sensor (and magnet) to the back wheel.  I have a spare bike computer that I just set up temporarily with some zip ties.  It's wired, so the sensor goes on the rear fork with a magnet on the rear wheel and I run the base up to my top tube.  That way all my data is right in front of me when I look down.

As far as comparative to riding outside, sure it is going to be different, but that doesn't translate to less effective or "easier" to me.  Granted there will be no wind resistance and no uphills, but then again no downhills either.  I find my time on the trainer is a rather brutal workout.  It is a constant effort to maintain RPM, there are no breaks. No rest for that hour or hour and a half or however long the ride is.  This may not be applicable to all trainers, but when I go to tighten the flywheel against the rear tire, as soon as it makes contact, I give the knob 3 more full turns.  This assures (I assume) the same relative resistance on each ride. My goal is an "average speed" for the entirety of the ride.  For instance, the goal may be to average 19.2 mph, and the ride will be for 1 hour or 1.5 hours, or 25 miles or whatever is predetermined.  So for the length of that ride, I do whatever is necessary to get off at the end having a 19.2 or more average.  This requires a constant high effort, and of course occasional intervals or bursts (these are usually unplanned and depend mostly on whatever motivating song pops up on the Ipod to get me going even more).  

I feel like trainer workouts are often more difficult than outdoor riding and can be a more effective training tool.  Now everyone needs experience riding outdoors and honing bike handling skills etc, but for just pure "engine building" I don't think you can beat a focused indoor trainer program.  The problem is (at least for me) is that it is so psychologically difficult to keep going back for more over and over on that trainer.  I dedicate January and February to the trainer, not because I enjoy it in anyway, but because I see it as a necessary part of improving as a triathlete.  I know it works.  My cycling went from my worst comparative discipline to my best last year.  Now I see my riding as a weapon, a time to seek and destroy.  I attribute much of that to my trainer focus last winter.  

Here's some numbers to illustrate.  

2013 bike was 1.30% slower vs. the top 5 in my AG for Olympic distance races ( 2 out of 7 races in top 3 on bike)

2014 bike was 6.37% faster vs. the top 5 in my AG for Olympic distance races ( 5 out of 6 races was 1st or 2nd on bike (Other race was 3rd out of 19))

I rode 1:06:46 for 40k at Nationals last year, my best 40k in 2013 was 1:14:02.

My total bike leg time dropped by an average of over 3 minutes per race.

I don't share that to say "look at me", I share it to say, the trainer works guys.  I know it sucks sometimes and hard to get motivated for (trust me, I know) and that's what I tell those I work with as a coach, but if you can get through it and hit it hard, you will get stronger and you will get faster.

2015-01-27 11:33 AM
in reply to: doreb

User image

I bought one of these:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R6QR2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very inexpensive but easy to install and it gives you cadence as well as distance. If you've more money and/or want to connect to smartphone or computer then it's probably worth spending a bit more on a ANT+ or bluetooth one. It's worth getting one with cadence as that does transfer more accurately to riding outside.

Brendan
2015-01-27 7:00 PM

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

As far as comparative to riding outside, sure it is going to be different, but that doesn't translate to less effective or "easier" to me.  Granted there will be no wind resistance and no uphills, but then again no downhills either.  I find my time on the trainer is a rather brutal workout.  It is a constant effort to maintain RPM, there are no breaks. No rest for that hour or hour and a half or however long the ride is.

Nice article debating whether hilly courses are actually easier than flat ones. If that's the case, then I can see how the trainer would actually help your bike times. Having to constantly pedal with absolutely no breaks is different than being able to coast if you need it when you hit a downhill stretch. And believe me, in my first ever triathlons there were times when I needed it! I may have to look at my bike trainer sessions in a whole new light.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/07/training/hard-courses-easie...

Edited by rjchilds8 2015-01-27 7:00 PM
2015-01-27 9:15 PM
in reply to: #5075698

User image

Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed
Frankly I guess at the distance. Most of my rides last season were over 18mph and my cadence typically in 80s. I don't have device to count but I count revs for 20 sec every 5 minutes or so to keep it at 90 plus or minus. There a setup from tomtom that will work with my watch I may invest in. Right now I am just focused on cadence and developing a feel for 90. Really should start ssd doing intervals.

What is ant+?
2015-01-27 9:51 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

, Idaho
Just finished a 8 mile run at a pace of 8-9 minute mile. After that my time really goes down. It seems like I hit the wall just after 1 hour. It may be mental or even physical I don't know. I'm not quit sure how to get past this.

2015-01-29 7:32 AM
in reply to: cleverrod

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2015/01/20/who-cares-if-you-run-slow

Good article about changing your self-perception and reaching true potential.

--

Rod, I'm having some of the same issues.  I have a HM next weekend that I feel fairly unprepared for, so we'll see how it goes.  Just have to push through it.  

2015-01-29 12:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

I really had trouble second guessing my training a couple of years ago before a marathon.  I guess the cliche is, "If you put in the work then trust your training."  I found that to be a very true statement.  Just be sure and stick to your nutrition/hydration plan!

Good article, btw.  Tanks.

2015-01-29 11:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Wow. I'm soo tired today... I was able to do my scheduled swim test which was a good result, but I am feeling exhausted.. .not enough sleep last night... I have an FTP test tomorrow and I really hope to be energized for it. I am going to try to get minimum 8 hours of sleep tonight.. 9 if I can swing it !

Oh and I signed up for the inaugural Santa Cruz 70.3. I'm excited to do it. It'll be my firs WTC branded event ever. AND I just turned 46 yesterday!!

Edited by ecpasos 2015-01-29 11:05 PM
2015-01-30 3:15 PM

User image

Originally posted by ecpasos

Wow. I'm soo tired today... I was able to do my scheduled swim test which was a good result, but I am feeling exhausted.. .not enough sleep last night... I have an FTP test tomorrow and I really hope to be energized for it. I am going to try to get minimum 8 hours of sleep tonight.. 9 if I can swing it !

Oh and I signed up for the inaugural Santa Cruz 70.3. I'm excited to do it. It'll be my firs WTC branded event ever. AND I just turned 46 yesterday!!

Feels good, doesn't it? To be in our 40s (or older) and still setting goals and reaching new heights! While I played enough recreational sports in my early 30s, I never really did any running. Around 36 or so I started to do some running just to "stay in shape". I didn't really start running for competitive reasons until a little while before my 41st birthday. I just set a PR in the 5K, ran my first 10K, and ran my first sprint triathlon all at the ripe old age of 46. I plan to try to break all of those records this year! LOL Plus, I'm planning to do my first Oly triathlon this year, so that'll be a first, too. I hope others on the list feel as excited and invigorated as I do about the upcoming season!
2015-01-30 8:52 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
ran my first sprint triathlon all at the ripe old age of 46.

LOL, I ran my first sprint tri last year at 52 and beat women my kids' ages (Athena division)! Yes, I am pretty stoked about the upcoming tri season. I'm going to register for several this weekend.

And thanks for everyone's input about how long y'all ride on your indoor trainers. It inspired me to ride for an hour tonight, my longest yet!

2015-01-30 11:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

Originally posted by ecpasos

Feels good, doesn't it? To be in our 40s (or older) and still setting goals and reaching new heights! While I played enough recreational sports in my early 30s, I never really did any running. Around 36 or so I started to do some running just to "stay in shape". I didn't really start running for competitive reasons until a little while before my 41st birthday. I just set a PR in the 5K, ran my first 10K, and ran my first sprint triathlon all at the ripe old age of 46. I plan to try to break all of those records this year! LOL Plus, I'm planning to do my first Oly triathlon this year, so that'll be a first, too. I hope others on the list feel as excited and invigorated as I do about the upcoming season!

Yes. It does feel good....
2015-01-30 11:28 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by burner2

ran my first sprint triathlon all at the ripe old age of 46.

LOL, I ran my first sprint tri last year at 52 and beat women my kids' ages (Athena division)! Yes, I am pretty stoked about the upcoming tri season. I'm going to register for several this weekend.

And thanks for everyone's input about how long y'all ride on your indoor trainers. It inspired me to ride for an hour tonight, my longest yet!

That's awesome.... keep up the good work!
2015-01-31 11:09 AM

User image

Subject: Jan Totals
I'm working today into tomorrow so no workout for me till next month. Had hoped to get a swim in yesterday but had to pickup a sick child.

My monthly totals
SWIM1h 31m 24s - 4800.00 Yd
BIKE6h 05m - 104.37 Mi
RUN2h 19m 40s - 17.24 Mi

My swim is up 50%, bike 10% and run 40% from December. Compared to January last year my Swim and run are down (65% and 40%) respectively but my times have improved. Last January I was doing each event 3 x a week and it just wasn't attainable for my schedule long term. I am overall satisfied with my training and hope to mix some intervals to build intensity. Goals for next month are to build my run volume.

Nate

2015-01-31 3:33 PM

User image

Just registerd for my first two races.

Sampson County Super Sprint 3/28 and Granite Falls Sprint 4/19. Going to hold on registering for my May tri's until the price gets ready to go up.

One of the races I am looking at is a Swim - Run - Bike - Run - Swim. Ocean water temps typically in mid 70's. Would anyone wear a wet suit? Just the first leg or both? Would think it very difficult to get back on

Nate
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  

of 36

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29191 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?