BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2015-02-05 11:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed
Originally posted by burner2

New information on the effectiveness of pickle juice as an electrolyte replacement: http://triathlon.competitor.com/2015/02/nutrition/fact-fallacy-pick...

For me, I wasn't really looking to pickle juice as an electrolyte replacement. My main goal was to prevent cramps and it seems to work for me. While I haven't done rigorous, scientific studying of the effects of pickle juice, it does seem strange that the only times I've had cramps at the pool were the two workouts where I didn't drink a mixture of pickle juice and water. In fact, I was drinking Powerade for one of those workouts and I still got cramps!

In reading various articles that have been posted on this group or that I have found on my own, the prevailing opinion is that scientists just don't know what causes cramps. There have been numerous theories, but nothing proven. It may not work for everyone, but it does seem that the pickle juice/water combo is doing the job I hoped it would do and it that is to reduce (I won't go so far as to say eliminate) the risk of cramping.

I'm still in the experimental phase of finding out what works best for me. One possible side effect of the pickle juice is that too much of it may be the cause of the upset stomach I suffered from during some of my earlier pool workouts this year. I'll continue to try various levels of PJ with my water to find the balance where I don't cramp and I also don't get an upset stomach.

Thanks for the article!

Edited by rjchilds8 2015-02-06 10:09 AM

2015-02-07 6:55 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Went 1:44:35 for my Half Mary today.  Was expecting to go 1:50:00 to 1:55:00 so very happy with breaking 1:45:00.  I didn't go over 10k in training, so it was going to be an interesting race.  I was cruise control for the first 10 miles at 8:00 pace, then my quads started tightening up around mile 10 but I knew I was right on target for the 1:45:00, so it was "just a 5K to the house" I told myself and got it done.  Quite pleased for this early in the year and about 15 pounds over real race weight still.

2015-02-07 8:13 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

Went 1:44:35 for my Half Mary today.  Was expecting to go 1:50:00 to 1:55:00 so very happy with breaking 1:45:00.  I didn't go over 10k in training, so it was going to be an interesting race.  I was cruise control for the first 10 miles at 8:00 pace, then my quads started tightening up around mile 10 but I knew I was right on target for the 1:45:00, so it was "just a 5K to the house" I told myself and got it done.  Quite pleased for this early in the year and about 15 pounds over real race weight still.

Congrats, Chris! Great job!
2015-02-08 12:27 PM
in reply to: #5075698

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
That's a really great time Chris. Congrats.
2015-02-09 7:06 PM
in reply to: ecpasos

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Thanks guys! Official chip time was 1:44:33. Good enough for 110th overall out of exactly 800 and 15th out of 43 in my age group.

Now it's time to get serious about some biking and swimming.  2015 is underway!

2015-02-09 11:10 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Subject: RE: Longest run EVER!!
That's great, Also...keep in mind the excitement of the race will help give u that push...in my opinion treadmill running is harder...great job

2015-02-10 11:01 AM
in reply to: doreb

User image

Subject: Snow, snow, go away!
I think the next ice age has officially begun! Fantastic to see that I live just a couple minutes away from the snowiest city (population > 100,000) in the country! Worcester, MA has received over 90 inches of snow so far this year. And most of that has fallen in the last 2-3 weeks. One article I read said that we were approaching 7 feet of snow in the last 16 days!

As I was out shoveling my driveway for what feels like to 10th time this year, I started to wonder if all of that shoveling is making me a stronger swimmer. I thought maybe it was a good workout for my arms, shoulders, and lats. I may have to view the shoveling as part of my training rather than as a hindrance. Any articles to read on the correlation between snow shoveling and lap times?! LOL
2015-02-10 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Snow, snow, go away!

I don't know about any correlation to swimming, but any vigorous exercise isn't going to hurt.  Put a stopwatch on it and make a game out of it.

Go for a driveway snow shoveling PR!

2015-02-10 11:39 AM

User image

Americus, Georgia
Hi, guys! After several months of training "away", I'm back on BT and I specifically sought out Chris/Dominion because HE ROCKS. Burner2, good to see you still around! Congrats on the achievements in 2014! Looking forward to winter training and kicking off the season with you all.
Best,
Jennifer
2015-02-10 4:07 PM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Welcome to the group Jen! Glad to have you back!

2015-02-11 12:47 PM

User image

Americus, Georgia
In case you don't subscribe to emails from active.com, they just ran this article. Made me think of you and the snow shoveling question.
http://www.active.com/Assets/Fitness/620/Housework-Infographic.jpg

2015-02-11 4:12 PM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Originally posted by marriedthepoolguy

In case you don't subscribe to emails from active.com, they just ran this article. Made me think of you and the snow shoveling question.
http://www.active.com/Assets/Fitness/620/Housework-Infographic.jpg

According to them, I should be very buff considering the number of hours I spent raking leaves this past fall and now the hours I've spent shoveling snow! Although, truth be told, most of the work is done with my snow blower. But I still have to do a fair amount of shoveling, especially because I haven't found a way to get the snow blower up onto my deck! LOL
2015-02-15 7:09 AM

User image

Subject: Triathlon on TV
Here we go again with another snow storm. With this one, we should pass the 100 inch mark for total snowfall this winter. You can bet that cabin fever is starting to set in! Are there any channels on TV that have triathlon content? I've searched through our channel guide many times and haven't been able to find anything. Does something like that even exist? I checked the Ironman web site and they seem to have one event about every other week this early in the season. I also looked at the ITU web site and they seem to have one or more events per week even at this time of year. Just wondering if anybody knows where I might catch some triathlon coverage on TV (in the US).
2015-02-15 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Triathlon on TV

You guys are getting hammered up there! We've had 2.5 weeks of mid seventies and blue sky but it's going to turn cold again this week (30-40*F). I can't get any training in for the camping, hiking, and kayaking going on.

I have Direct TV and looked and looked and looked for some show that's on regularly about triathlon without any luck. I basically stream youtube and a few websites to the TV so I can watch tri videos w/o sitting at my PC. I would be interested if anyone else has found anything as well.

2015-02-15 8:18 PM
in reply to: #5091625

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Monty, I'd strangle you if I could. 70 degrees...

While we're not at the 100" mark yet, we're not off by much. Another 18" last night, and they're predicting another 8" Tuesday. The last few weeks have totally derailed any training mojo I had coming out of the holidays. I normally run during my lunch break, but am too busy catching up on missed snow days. Normally bike in the evenings, but instead I have to go finish shoveling. Ugh, poor me!
2015-02-15 8:36 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

UGH!!  This summer when I'm complaining about 110*F heat and can't keep my heart rate down you can laugh all you want!! You've earned it, imho!

2015-02-15 8:41 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

New user
Had a rough week last week. Work unexpectedly beat the crap out me and I had no motivation to get my workouts in. I was supposed to get back on track yesterday, but my daughter got sick and set my scheduled swim back a day. Kinda back on track today. Made it to my swim late this afternoon and was able to get just over 2000m in before it got too crowded with open pool swimmers. (families and scuba diving practice in the deep end, plus a few lap swimmers all in a 6 lane pool) Actually thought I completed my workout, but miss counted a lap and only swam 200 x2 vs the 400 x2 after my 50s. Oh well, I still felt strong and had fun. Swimming is becoming more and more enjoyable for me. Looking forward to my indoor Tri at the end of next month. I've been putting in more work this winter than I ever have and I'm gaining confidence in all 3 disciplines and expect to crush last years time. Hope ya'll had a great weekend. I'm back in the saddle per say.

Scott
2015-02-15 8:53 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

Had a rough week last week. Work unexpectedly beat the crap out me and I had no motivation to get my workouts in. I was supposed to get back on track yesterday, but my daughter got sick and set my scheduled swim back a day. Kinda back on track today. Made it to my swim late this afternoon and was able to get just over 2000m in before it got too crowded with open pool swimmers. (families and scuba diving practice in the deep end, plus a few lap swimmers all in a 6 lane pool) Actually thought I completed my workout, but miss counted a lap and only swam 200 x2 vs the 400 x2 after my 50s. Oh well, I still felt strong and had fun. Swimming is becoming more and more enjoyable for me. Looking forward to my indoor Tri at the end of next month. I've been putting in more work this winter than I ever have and I'm gaining confidence in all 3 disciplines and expect to crush last years time. Hope ya'll had a great weekend. I'm back in the saddle per say.

Scott

I feel your pain, Scott. I had a very good January training-wise, but I've really taken a step back in February so far. I've only exercised 5 days so far this month. For me, it has been a combination of getting busy at work, having to shovel out from under one snow storm after another, having some difficult nights with the kids (both have been sick this month), and I think a little bit of the winter doldrums has set in. I'm trying to get myself back on track, but it isn't easy. I was never a guy that cared about being outside for my training. I had always run on the treadmill even when it was nice outside. But after doing a lot of my tri training outside last year, now I kinda miss being outside and have a harder time getting on and staying on my treadmill. Good luck to all of us to keep things going during this time of year!
2015-02-15 9:39 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by rjchilds8

[Q

I feel your pain, Scott. I had a very good January training-wise, but I've really taken a step back in February so far. I've only exercised 5 days so far this month. For me, it has been a combination of getting busy at work, having to shovel out from under one snow storm after another, having some difficult nights with the kids (both have been sick this month), and I think a little bit of the winter doldrums has set in. I'm trying to get myself back on track, but it isn't easy. I was never a guy that cared about being outside for my training. I had always run on the treadmill even when it was nice outside. But after doing a lot of my tri training outside last year, now I kinda miss being outside and have a harder time getting on and staying on my treadmill. Good luck to all of us to keep things going during this time of year!

Of all the months is the a year, February is my least favorite. Even though it's the shortest month, it tends to be the coldest and seems to be the longest month of the year. I so look forward to March. It's normally much warmer (2014 was an exception) and has at times been warm enough to get out on the road with the bike. Today's high was 2 degrees F and we're expecting a low of -12 tonight with a windchill in the -20s. I'm not hard core enough anymore to venture out in those temps to run. Must be getting old lol. Hitting the treadmill tomorrow....
Scott
2015-02-16 9:49 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

Of all the months is the a year, February is my least favorite. Even though it's the shortest month, it tends to be the coldest and seems to be the longest month of the year. I so look forward to March. It's normally much warmer (2014 was an exception) and has at times been warm enough to get out on the road with the bike. Today's high was 2 degrees F and we're expecting a low of -12 tonight with a windchill in the -20s. I'm not hard core enough anymore to venture out in those temps to run. Must be getting old lol. Hitting the treadmill tomorrow....
Scott

Yup, I've got an uncle out your way and he said they hit -19 today. Not sure if I'd rather have the 100 inches of snow or the double digit sub-zero temperatures. Neither one is appealing. I think we all need to go visit Monty down in Texas!
2015-02-17 7:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Just hang in there everybody, Spring is coming!

No snow this far south, but cold (for us; 20's) and raining.  I've been down and out sick the last 3 days, so February isn't shaping up as much of a training month for me either.  It will all pass though, tomorrow, better days are coming!

2015-02-17 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Yup, I've got an uncle out your way and he said they hit -19 today. Not sure if I'd rather have the 100 inches of snow or the double digit sub-zero temperatures. Neither one is appealing. I think we all need to go visit Monty down in Texas!

Come on down! I've got miles of rolling farm roads to ride on. We can cook a burger and have a craft beer on the back porch!

We just had a front move in so temps are 30-40. It's hilarious to watch the news forecast. They use terms like, "Winter Blast", "Wintry Mix", & "Severe Cold". Then we think of you guys up north and laugh at the terminology. 

I'm starting the base building process, again. Today's my Friday so I can't wait to get back in the gym this week for some pool time. There are 19 weeks before the next Ironman 70.3 on my list so I should be fine as long as I take it easy and build slow.   No PR for this one!   Chiropractor appointment Wed. to talk about some nagging pains (not my family, my back/hamstring). I really think forced time off can be harder on you than training sometimes. It ain't easy gettin' old!

2015-02-20 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

This may be a little off topic,  but has anybody in the group done any Adventure Racing?  Not talking about Mudders or Spartans, but long duration races (24 hours +) that include trekking, biking (usually mountain), water crossings (canoe,kayak), orienteering,  control points, and multiple transition areas?  This type of racing sounds interesting and challenging and I am just trying to learn a little more about it.  So far, I'm thinking the biggest challenge in the longer races (72hrs+) will be sleep deprivation.

Anyone with insight?

2015-02-20 12:50 PM

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

This may be a little off topic,  but has anybody in the group done any Adventure Racing?  Not talking about Mudders or Spartans, but long duration races (24 hours +) that include trekking, biking (usually mountain), water crossings (canoe,kayak), orienteering,  control points, and multiple transition areas?  This type of racing sounds interesting and challenging and I am just trying to learn a little more about it.  So far, I'm thinking the biggest challenge in the longer races (72hrs+) will be sleep deprivation.

Anyone with insight?

I had the same thought last fall. A buddy on my football team mentioned that he had done some and I was picking his brain about it. However, he wasn't doing longer distance ones. He was doing events that started/finished on the same day. Also, he said the ones he had done didn't have a hard orienteering aspect to the race, they were mostly just following a well marked trail. I guess the moral of the story is to do your research to make sure it provides the level of challenge you are looking for. I'm curious to hear from someone on the group that might have some experience because it did pique my interest last year.
2015-02-20 1:56 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

Downingtown , Pennsylvania
How's this for training weather?!

(FullSizeRender.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
FullSizeRender.jpg (87KB - 7 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  

of 36

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28951 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?