General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Continental Grand Prix 4000S II Anyone with problems? Still recommended? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-19 9:01 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Continental Grand Prix 4000S II Anyone with problems? Still recommended?

Looking for tires to put on my new FLOS and still would like a cross between durability with a little speed (so nothing as heavy as a gatorskin which I do use also).  

2 years ago I bought the Continental Grand Prix 4000S and within 50 miles of use I had a sidewall blowout in a HIM resulting in a DNF.  Therefore started using gatorskins for my 2 IM's, but  I am revisiting the idea of trying these again since I still talk to most people who like them. However the other day I had someone in my office say she had a sidewall blowout on the same tire.

So I wanted to take a informal poll if the consensus is that these tires are still very good? or are others having a lot of trouble with them? or even had the similar sidewall blowout issue.

Thanks!

2014-12-19 9:31 AM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Continental Grand Prix 4000S II Anyone with problems? Still recommended?
I'm going on year 2 with those on my Flos. No problems here.
2014-12-19 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Continental Grand Prix 4000S II Anyone with problems? Still recommended?
I run GP4 Seasons and GP4000 on my bikes. Never a sidewall issue.
2014-12-19 10:01 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

You will find people that have gotten 'bad' tires from most any make & model.  That is no reason to run gatorskins for an IM race.  Put your new tires on your bike a few weeks prior to your race and get past the first 50-100 miles where a manufacturing defect would show itself.  That should be enough to give you peace of mind.  You could still get a flat, of course.  Bad luck happens.  Even a flat on good tires won't cost you as much time as the gatorskins.

2014-12-19 10:21 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Elite

Thanks guys....Yea I was a bit neurotic after my DNF 2 months before IMLP so I went with the slow gatorskins.....I feel using them on a Higher end wheel is even more ridiculous

2014-12-19 1:30 PM

User image

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

You will find people that have gotten 'bad' tires from most any make & model.  That is no reason to run gatorskins for an IM race.  Put your new tires on your bike a few weeks prior to your race and get past the first 50-100 miles where a manufacturing defect would show itself.  That should be enough to give you peace of mind.  You could still get a flat, of course.  Bad luck happens.  Even a flat on good tires won't cost you as much time as the gatorskins.

x2.

I had a sidewall blowout on either my first or second set of GP4000S tires way back 5 years ago.  Like yours, it had less than 100 miles on it.  That didn't stop me from continuing to buy them though.  I'm probably on my 12th pair of GP4000S tires now...only replacing due to wear.  I have gravitated towards gatorskins for training simply because they don't wear as fast, but I would never race on them.

2014-12-19 1:53 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Jason N

x2.

I had a sidewall blowout on either my first or second set of GP4000S tires way back 5 years ago.  Like yours, it had less than 100 miles on it.  That didn't stop me from continuing to buy them though.  I'm probably on my 12th pair of GP4000S tires now...only replacing due to wear.  I have gravitated towards gatorskins for training simply because they don't wear as fast, but I would never race on them.

Agreed, I use Gatorskins for training most of the time. I had the same issue with a sidewall blowout, but guess what, $hit happens. No tire is perfect every tire has flaws, people need to recognize this more.

However I will probably be switching to Supersonics for racing next year and to that in the closing weeks going into my race season I will probably ride more on Supersonics to get used to them and comfortable with them. I know a common complaint for tires with low rolling resistance is that they find themselves a bit uncomfortable with them on race day, but if you get used to them and comfortable on them before race day all should be fine.
2014-12-19 2:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by bcagle25

x2.

Agreed, I use Gatorskins for training most of the time. I had the same issue with a sidewall blowout, but guess what, $hit happens. No tire is perfect every tire has flaws, people need to recognize this more. However I will probably be switching to Supersonics for racing next year and to that in the closing weeks going into my race season I will probably ride more on Supersonics to get used to them and comfortable with them. I know a common complaint for tires with low rolling resistance is that they find themselves a bit uncomfortable with them on race day, but if you get used to them and comfortable on them before race day all should be fine.

Ben,

The Conti SS tires are thin and delicate compared to the GP 4000s.  I used them a few times and just hoped for the best and never had an issue.  I swapped 'em out when I did IMAZ a couple of years back because of all those thorn spurs that "could" be a huge issue with a more delicate tire.  That's what's great about the GP4000s... it rolls about as well as the SS and is a far more durable tire.

I'll second or third or fourth on training with Gatorskins because they're so durable but I would NEVER race on them as they roll like sh*t.  They literally cost you minutes in a 70.3 or IM ride.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2014-12-19 2:56 PM
2014-12-19 10:39 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
ContiFail's... that's what i call them. I was sponsored for a year with them. Had nothing but issues. I now only ride Michelin Pro 4's. That's it. I have put THOUSANDS of miles on these.... no issues.

That was my experience and my $0.02
2014-12-20 12:41 AM
in reply to: Swimaway

User image

no issues at all with the 4000s, nor have any of my riding buddies who also ride with them.
2014-12-20 6:57 AM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
I have over 6,000 miles on the pair on my bike right now with zero flats (lightweight rider, good quality roads, YMMV, yada yada). Love them!

2015-04-09 11:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

I got my bike used about 3-1/2 months ago and am training for my first HIM.  It has Czar 650 23c tires.  I have put about 700 miles on the bike and noticed the rubber is starting ware, so I started thinking about what I wanted for my next tires (I am sure that the Czars could last another 700 miles, but sooner or later I will need something else).  I was thinking the gatorskins was a good option for a training tire and that some options to look into for race tires would be the 1) Continental Grand Prix 4000 or 4000S II  2) Michelin Pro 4 or Pro 4 Service course or 3) Schwalbe Ultremo ZX HD.

I was in to see my bike mechanic this week and his suggestion for people new to the sport is to invest in good tires and a good seat and keeping everything else on the Bike the way it is.  He suggested that I get Gatorskins before my 70.3 race and I told him I was considering them for training but though the Continental Grand Prix 4000s were preferred for racing.  He said that the Grand Prix 4000s were what he rode on but that they were pricey and he felt the Gatorskins would be a good investment for the price.  After reading this thread I think I will still consider the Gatorskin for training and look into the three options I have listed above for my 70.3 race that is quickly approaching.  

Being a runner who knows nothing about bikes or cycling can I get some input on race tires.  I already read the reviews in the gear section (and what I could find on other sites), but am looking for pro's con's and recommendations for 70.3 racing.  I will probably do 2 HIM this year and possibly a shorter race or two.

- What is the difference between the GP 4000 & 4000S II (or other options in the 650 23c)?

- What is the difference between the Michelin Pro 4 and Pro 4 Service Course?

For racing I don't want to add minutes to my time.  If I could shave minutes off my time by going to a tire that is faster than the Czar tire that I have been training on with that won't increase the risk of a flat time during the bike leg of the race that is what I am after. 

Thanks,

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-04-09 11:15 AM
2015-04-09 2:35 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I got my bike used about 3-1/2 months ago and am training for my first HIM.  It has Czar 650 23c tires.  I have put about 700 miles on the bike and noticed the rubber is starting ware, so I started thinking about what I wanted for my next tires (I am sure that the Czars could last another 700 miles, but sooner or later I will need something else).  I was thinking the gatorskins was a good option for a training tire and that some options to look into for race tires would be the 1) Continental Grand Prix 4000 or 4000S II  2) Michelin Pro 4 or Pro 4 Service course or 3) Schwalbe Ultremo ZX HD.

I was in to see my bike mechanic this week and his suggestion for people new to the sport is to invest in good tires and a good seat and keeping everything else on the Bike the way it is.  He suggested that I get Gatorskins before my 70.3 race and I told him I was considering them for training but though the Continental Grand Prix 4000s were preferred for racing.  He said that the Grand Prix 4000s were what he rode on but that they were pricey and he felt the Gatorskins would be a good investment for the price.  After reading this thread I think I will still consider the Gatorskin for training and look into the three options I have listed above for my 70.3 race that is quickly approaching.  

Being a runner who knows nothing about bikes or cycling can I get some input on race tires.  I already read the reviews in the gear section (and what I could find on other sites), but am looking for pro's con's and recommendations for 70.3 racing.  I will probably do 2 HIM this year and possibly a shorter race or two.

- What is the difference between the GP 4000 & 4000S II (or other options in the 650 23c)?

- What is the difference between the Michelin Pro 4 and Pro 4 Service Course?

For racing I don't want to add minutes to my time.  If I could shave minutes off my time by going to a tire that is faster than the Czar tire that I have been training on with that won't increase the risk of a flat time during the bike leg of the race that is what I am after. 

Thanks, 

Can't say which tire vs another tire is best, there's all out speed or speed+durabilty, etc.  Can't go wrong with the GP4000s for an all-around tire.  Look for the UK site (someone can post it) for cheaper costs on them.

This site has some good info for tire Crr (spreadsheet here).

2015-04-09 2:46 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

x2.

Agreed, I use Gatorskins for training most of the time. I had the same issue with a sidewall blowout, but guess what, $hit happens. No tire is perfect every tire has flaws, people need to recognize this more. However I will probably be switching to Supersonics for racing next year and to that in the closing weeks going into my race season I will probably ride more on Supersonics to get used to them and comfortable with them. I know a common complaint for tires with low rolling resistance is that they find themselves a bit uncomfortable with them on race day, but if you get used to them and comfortable on them before race day all should be fine.
20c or 23c Supersonics? 

Why not consider the Specialized Turbo Cotton 24C? 

Attack/Force combo? Attack has same Crr as GP4000s 23c but is narrower (more aero) so should be faster as a front tire.  Force one of the fastest tires due to huge size(!)perfect as a rear tire.  Both have a puncture belt.

2015-04-09 3:42 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Can't say which tire vs another tire is best, there's all out speed or speed+durabilty, etc.  Can't go wrong with the GP4000s for an all-around tire.  Look for the UK site (someone can post it) for cheaper costs on them.

This site has some good info for tire Crr (spreadsheet here).

Thanks for your advice. 

2015-11-07 7:37 PM

I'm not a triathlete, but trying to get the word out. Google "Continental 4000s sidewall blowout" for more information.

On July 4th I was on Glendora Ridge Road in San Gabriel Mountains near L.A., traveling about 25 mph. While rounding a corner, 4 inches of the sidewall on my front Continental 4000S split open, and 6-8 inches of both beads of the tire came off the rim and jammed in my front brakes. I don't remember anything after the pop, but was told by friends I endo'd and hit pavement hard. I was medivacked out, unconscious, by helicopter to L.A. County Medical Center, where I came to a few hours later. Severe concussion kept me in the hospital for a few days, residual double vision starting to clear up now. Could have been a lot worse.

Sons of at Continental don't respond to any requests for information - just keep selling their defective tires.

A friend on 4000s had the front blow up in what seemed like a repeat of my situation. She went down went down hard and broke her hip last week - something's gotta change here. I'm riding again, and discovered Michelin Pro 4s are are very similar in feel - even roll a bit better. Oh yeah - they don't seem to blow up unexpectedly.

2015-11-07 7:46 PM
in reply to: onyourlefty

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

the michelin's roll worse, and there is nothing wrong with the conti's...been riding them for years

2015-11-07 11:24 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
So far I'm rolling GP4000Sii on both my road and tt bike, and zero problems.

Only flat I had was from a huge staple when I got into a section of road where the side was covered in crap from the road and hadn't been swept ( side of a highway with both lanes pretty full, so took my chances )

Thankfully a buddy behind me noticed it going flat before it was totally gone
2015-11-08 10:24 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

, Wisconsin
Been using GP4000Sii for about 1500 miles now on all kinds of road. They still look pretty new and no problems at all.
2015-11-08 3:01 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

x2.

Agreed, I use Gatorskins for training most of the time. I had the same issue with a sidewall blowout, but guess what, $hit happens. No tire is perfect every tire has flaws, people need to recognize this more.

However I will probably be switching to Supersonics for racing next year and to that in the closing weeks going into my race season I will probably ride more on Supersonics to get used to them and comfortable with them. I know a common complaint for tires with low rolling resistance is that they find themselves a bit uncomfortable with them on race day, but if you get used to them and comfortable on them before race day all should be fine.

I have a set of Gatorskins on my road bike and I can't stand them! I don't ride my road bike very much but I can't wait until I wear them out. They are the roughest riding tires I have ever been on. Although they are durable! Not sure I can wear them out I have over 5,000 miles on them and they look like they have another 5,000 in them.
2015-11-08 7:42 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Continental Grand Prix 4000S II
My new bike came with the Continental Grand Prix 4000S II. I thought the bike rode so much better. The shoulders I ride on are pretty rough so I didn't think they'd last long. I got a flat and switched to the Gatorskins off of my other bike. When I stop pedaling with the gatorskins it feels like I've put the brakes on. When I go to accelerate I can feel a drag. I've ordered another set of Continental Grand Prix 4000S II's. I'm going to mount them probably tomorrow or the next. They seem to be more comfortable and accelerate better than the Gatorskins.

TXDOT uses these awful little rocks on the shoulders of some roads. They've got sharp edges on them and if they get caught under your tire it can blow just about any tire except for a Gatorskin. I had a screw go through the gatorskin and my rim. All I heard was a thunking sound. It still held air.

I would guess in a time trial setting they slow me down between a 1/4 to 1/2 mph.

2015-11-09 7:07 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Agree^^^^ I was going to say make sure you have 200 miles on your tires before the race. Somewhere between 100 and 200 is where the flash from molding wears off.
2015-11-09 10:30 AM
in reply to: onyourlefty

User image

Master
Are you using full carbon clinchers? If so, what brand?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Continental Grand Prix 4000S II Anyone with problems? Still recommended? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2 x Continental Grand Prix 4000s for $85?

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1275 Posts: 8

2012-02-09 5:33 PM mjengstrom

Tire questions: Continental Grand Prix 4000 vs Michelin Pro Race 3

Started by louiskie
Views: 10541 Posts: 17

2010-01-24 9:45 PM aecky01

2007 Grand Prix Events

Started by velocomp
Views: 580 Posts: 1

2006-09-24 3:51 PM velocomp

Are you doing USAT Grand Prix Series Races?

Started by triman50
Views: 507 Posts: 1

2006-01-06 11:15 AM triman50

Mid-Ohio Grand Prix Duathlon

Started by max
Views: 881 Posts: 3

2004-03-31 12:29 AM Y-NOT-TRI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?
date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.