General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Custom Plan Blues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-19 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Subject: Custom Plan Blues
To quote Charlie Brown, "AAUGH!"

I am trying to use the Custom Plan Creator to create a plan to start the Sunday after Christmas. The first three steps are easy. Step Four is where it starts to get difficult. From everything I have read I am leaning toward a 3X Balanced plan. (Don't ask me where I'm going to slip in strength training, probably during commercials at home.), I'm re-starting after a month off from a sprained knee and training for a sprint on May 10th.

First of all, I originally was trying to keep Wed clear because it's tough to fit a session in between school and WW's. Then I remembered that I am going to be taking my EMT course on Tues and Thurs evenings. So I decided maybe I could squeeze something in on Wed to clear up T/T. That just looked ugly. Okay, put short workouts on TWT. No, that doesn't give me any days off to recover. But isn't that what recovery weeks are for? Do you begin to see the cause for my Charlie Brown scream?

So are "clear" recovery days a necessity? Or are recovery weeks sufficient? How do you experienced people balance all of this; training, work, sleep, and family life? I've got until the 28th to get this plan to where it at least looks workable.. Input?

2014-12-19 5:02 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

, Illinois
Subject: RE: Custom Plan Blues
First, I don't understand what you mean by "balance" and "family life". I understand the work, train, sleep part.

IMO, and I'm only 9 months into this, I would be careful of overdoing it. I've lost more weeks than I'd like to think about icing ankle tendons by letting my pride/arrogance drive my training volume and schedule. You have enough time, start slow and work into a schedule. Maybe take one element that is either easiest for you to train given time or logistics or the one you want to concentrate on the most. Set a schedule to train 4X per week. Do that for a couple weeks, then add to it in either volume or add another element. Keep adding until you get to a full plan. Basically my suggestion is to not shock the system, the system either being your body or you life. Ease into it with a scheduled plan and enjoy it.

Why are you waiting until the Sunday after Christmas? You could be 8 days closer to your goal by then...and by the way congratulations on your weight loss. Keep up the hard work.
2014-12-19 5:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Sounds like you've got a full schedule, especially if you're trying to add weight training in. And for most of us, it's a good idea to have a day off.
Why not commit to the 2x balanced plan... you can always add in a short run or an intense ride if you have extra time. You'll easily be ready for a spring, and you can always train more for the next race.
2014-12-27 12:01 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

, Illinois
Well....are you ready for tomorrow?
2014-12-27 5:28 PM
in reply to: ec1974

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
More or less. The plan is posted on my planned calendar. Doesn't actually start until Monday because I wanted to go gently through the week and do my long workouts on the weekend.
2014-12-28 4:06 PM

User image

Veteran
North Bay Area, CA
My coach for my first Ironman told me once to not get so caught up into a program. Meaning that if you miss a workout or have to shorten one don't get get all stressed and try to make it up. He said if you end up finishing 80 percent overall of the program then you are doing much better than most people and you should be fine.

2014-12-28 6:33 PM
in reply to: gordongecko

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by gordongecko if you end up finishing 80 percent overall of the program then you are doing much better than most people
I will try to remember that. My plan right now calls for 2S, 2B, and 3R. In other words, some workout every day of every week. We all know that is unrealistic. So I'm sort of hoping to get at least 22 workouts in per month.
2014-12-28 9:10 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas
For what it's worth - I do strength training in the fall / winter while maintaining my fitness on the s/b/r. Once spring comes around I drop the strength and focus on the s/b/r. I usually have one to two days off a week for recovery. One during the week, and one on the weekend. I have three kids, wife, and full time job. It's organized chaos to put it in the best terms possible. I've signed up for a 70.3 and will also start training for that earlier than I'm used to. It'll never go the way you want it, roll with the punches and take your training where you can. I've become a morning person so 80-90 percent of my training is done in the morning.
2014-12-29 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by leatherneckpa
Originally posted by gordongecko if you end up finishing 80 percent overall of the program then you are doing much better than most people
I will try to remember that. My plan right now calls for 2S, 2B, and 3R. In other words, some workout every day of every week. We all know that is unrealistic. So I'm sort of hoping to get at least 22 workouts in per month.

Consistency is arguably the most important factor in training success.  Make sure you're working the plan and that the plan isn't working you.  A poorly designed and scheduled plan is going to eventually fail.

To address your comment about getting in a workout every day being unrealistic and to also address your initial questions about recovery days and recovery weeks.  There are a lot of people I know that do two-a-days every day for years.  They literally never miss a day of training barring some kind of unforeseen issues (injury, work or family situations), or scheduled vacations.  Some training days are recovery days.  A very easy swim, bike, or run can work wonders.  There is really no need to take a week off for recovery if you're training somewhat intelligently.  There's also no reason to schedule a day off.  If you need to take a day off then take a day off, be done with it, and move on.  I would also think about doing two-a-days on occasion if you really want to take a full day off.  Do those seven workouts in six days or in five.  Two-a-days, while not much of reality or necessity for sprint racing, are the norm for HIM and IM training.  When I'm in full training mode I often swim 4x, bike 4x, and run 5x per week.  That's 13 workouts in seven days.  The math is obvious.

2014-12-29 11:59 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I follow a run-focused Oly distance plan with 4xR, 2xB, & 3S.

I do my rides on the weekends, the runs are in the early mornings during the week and the swims are after work two days a week and Saturday afternoons.  Wednesdays are my gym days, plus I'll do body-weight strength exercises a couple of mornings after I run.

Allowing for my age (61), I follow a three week periodization schedule, with two weeks of build followed by one recovery week  (about 60% of the volume of the build weeks).

Whether for family, work or weather, it's not unusual to miss one or more scheduled workouts during a given week.  The gym is my backup for inclement weather.  As others have suggested, I don't try to make up missed workouts, although I will occasionally switch things around it I have a schedule conflict that I know about ahead of time.

Consistency has been the biggest thing for me.  Missing one workout isn't a big deal, but missing an entire week or two is. 

Good luck,

Mark

2014-12-30 3:54 PM
in reply to: jayhawk_sean

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
Originally posted by jayhawk_sean

For what it's worth - I do strength training in the fall / winter while maintaining my fitness on the s/b/r. Once spring comes around I drop the strength and focus on the s/b/r. I have three kids, wife, and full time job. It's organized chaos to put it in the best terms possible. It'll never go the way you want it, roll with the punches and take your training where you can. I've become a morning person so 80-90 percent of my training is done in the morning.

x2

2014-12-30 5:11 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Hey Mike!

I'm with you on the restart mode. Also going with 2S/2B/3R and having to work around both my wife's schedule and having the kids to myself at night (because of my wife's schedule, hehehehe) makes things fun. This is what I did last year, so I'm jumping on this plan again but at Oly distance to hopefully crush my sprint time at Memphis in May:

Sun: Rest
Mon: Swim AM / Bike(Trainer) PM
Tue: Run AM or PM
Wed: Rest
Thur: Run AM or PM
Fri: Swim AM
Sat: Bike/Run Brick AM

I'm off work Fri/Sat so that does give me a little bit of flexibility with the bike, but I have my 2-yr old with me so I have to be careful for her in the elements. Also gives me some overall flexibility to throw in some calesthenics/yoga/etc as desired.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Custom Plan Blues Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Where is the Custom Plan Creator?

Started by GACheesehead
Views: 752 Posts: 6

2011-12-20 9:10 AM marmadaddy

Setting up custom training plan help

Started by jeeper9281
Views: 609 Posts: 4

2011-11-30 11:17 AM Ron

Sprint and Full Marathon custom plan?

Started by benjaminjacobso
Views: 688 Posts: 3

2011-06-04 11:56 AM TriAya

Custom Workout Plan and multiple workouts per day

Started by coolshock1
Views: 1811 Posts: 8

2011-02-24 2:39 PM coolshock1

McMillan Running Custom Plans

Started by cornfed
Views: 3426 Posts: 5

2010-07-20 8:25 AM cathyd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : September 9, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Coach AJ reviews the Blue FS Carbon mountain bike. A lightweight bike perfect for racing XTERRA triathlons.

date : September 27, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Descente, Vision Tech, Pearl Izumi, Saris, CamelBack, BlueSeventy, Blue, GU, Quarq and Shimano.
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
I am in the process of buying my first tri bike. Because of my size my fitter suggested buying a custom frame but then I have an infinite number of choices for components, wheels, aerobars, etc.

date : June 10, 2008
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 4
A poll goes out to all the Ironman BT'ers in an effort to understand why some get depressed after an Ironman and why some don't and what can be learned.
date : April 14, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 3
So what is behind the Infinit line of custom nutrition products? We took a trip to the Infinit world headquarters and conducted an in-depth review of the Infinit Nutrition product.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.