General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Muskoka : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-12-19 3:25 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman Muskoka : Official Thread
Who's in for this? I just registered.

2014-12-20 10:27 AM
in reply to: pfd104

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Muskoka : Official Thread
I was hoping someone would start up a thread. I am in for this race. I have IM Couer d'Alene in June then this race in August. I booked my hotel at Deerhurst. OUCH is that expensive.
2014-12-21 2:12 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Deerhurst...Ouch indeed. I'm staying at the super 8, just couldn't justify the price of the Deerhurst.
2014-12-24 7:52 AM

User image

planning on it - haven't registered yet (a $400 trip from the plumber killed my race kitty until after christmas)
2014-12-30 7:40 PM
in reply to: #5075875

Regular
Mississauga, Ontario
I'm in, staying at Deerhurst, pricey but great for forgetfull racers and also good for my wife while I am away for 12-14 hours.
2015-01-29 8:45 AM
in reply to: runmini

User image

Montreal, Quebec
Hello, I'm in too ! Looking forward to this race!

2015-02-03 12:16 PM

User image

Rochester, New York
I'm in. Signed up BEFORE doing the Half there...I'm in for a painful first Full. My training partner and I will be staying in a cabin on Fairy Lake.
2015-02-07 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Originally posted by pfd104

Who's in for this? I just registered.

Hey all! Just registered last evening and excited to participate! Though tough/challenging, looks like it will be a great event with lots of support from the surrounding community based on what I saw on Trimuskoka and Ironman/IM 70.3 websites! Though chances are slim, I had hoped to wait until after the Kona lottery slots were announced. But, I had already got shut out of IMMD and IMLO. Looked at what was left and IM Muskoka was still open and within my driving limits. As I didn't want to get shut out of another one and I did want to do an IM event this year, I asked Trimuskoka how full the race was. They actually got back to me (not a WTC person, so I'm already impressed) and they said the race is 75% full. So put my hat into the ring. If by some miracle I get into Kona, the two are far enough apart that I could go to both without giving up most of the registration fee. That would've happened for IMMD and IMLO since they're both around the same time as Kona. Considering how much we pay for these, just dislike having to throw away more money.

Anyway, I'm staying at the Econo Lodge in Huntsville. Not too far from the race start and didn't cost an arm and a leg (I need those for the race ) like at the Deerhurst Resort ( though from my experience at IMLO last year, it does help being within walking distance when you've just completed an Ironman).

A heckuva lot more before this event on my race schedule for 2015. But looking forward to once again testing myself at Ironman Muskoka! Hope everyone's training/racing goes well and looking forward to sharing the journey!
2015-02-17 10:58 AM

User image

Montreal, Quebec
What gear's bike will you bring to this race?

I haven't decided yet, but I'm thinking, doing the following setup on my bike considering the bike course (and I've never ridden this area):

A standard road bike with aero bars
Crankset 53/39
cassette 12/25 (if I have 4000km of bike training or more this year before the race, if not, I will go with 11/28)
Wheels : tubulars, 60mm rim deep

2015-02-21 10:49 AM
in reply to: L'Olive

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Originally posted by L'Olive

What gear's bike will you bring to this race?

I haven't decided yet, but I'm thinking, doing the following setup on my bike considering the bike course (and I've never ridden this area):

A standard road bike with aero bars
Crankset 53/39
cassette 12/25 (if I have 4000km of bike training or more this year before the race, if not, I will go with 11/28)
Wheels : tubulars, 60mm rim deep

I upgraded my tri bike last year and it has a high compact crank (52/36) plus I have an 11-28 cassette. So, that gives me a good range of possible gears for such a course. Worked well on the rolling courses with some short climbs during last season and will go with that again for this course. I'd rather have the gears to choose from than not. Of course, it would help to lose some of this winter weight I've gained too
2015-03-11 9:33 AM
in reply to: L'Olive

User image

Rochester, New York
It is an incredibly hilly course with the last 10 miles being climbing back to Deerhurst. I honestly know nothing about gearing...but I will say I was ill prepared for the HIM last year.

2015-03-23 2:38 PM

User image

Montreal, Quebec
Hey guys, I hope your preparation is going well (even if it's still feeling like winter season outside....)

If you are using strava, there's a IM Muskoka group, where you can compare your training volume to other "competitors", here is the group link :
https://www.strava.com/clubs/ironmanmuskoka

2015-04-08 12:07 PM

User image

Good afternoon all!

Like a few others, I was waiting for my Kona lottery spot....didn't happen this year.

Considering this race for my 2nd IM (IM Cozumel - November 2014).

Anyway, coming form Detroit, it is a fairly easy drive and the exchange rate is pretty favorable: 1USD/1.25CAD, so that helps bring the race fee down.

My question is what are the lodging options up there besides for Deerhurst?

I would be coming by myself (a friend of mine who was going to race has a little "misunderstanding" with the Canadian Border Patrol and opted to stay in the US and do IM Louisville this year).

Anyway, if anyone on this thread knows of some reasonable lodging, or has an extra couch, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Jeff

2015-04-08 12:37 PM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Originally posted by Jeff B

Good afternoon all!

Like a few others, I was waiting for my Kona lottery spot....didn't happen this year.

Considering this race for my 2nd IM (IM Cozumel - November 2014).

Anyway, coming form Detroit, it is a fairly easy drive and the exchange rate is pretty favorable: 1USD/1.25CAD, so that helps bring the race fee down.

My question is what are the lodging options up there besides for Deerhurst?

I would be coming by myself (a friend of mine who was going to race has a little "misunderstanding" with the Canadian Border Patrol and opted to stay in the US and do IM Louisville this year).

Anyway, if anyone on this thread knows of some reasonable lodging, or has an extra couch, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Jeff

I looked around a few months ago and eventually booked at the Econo Lodge in Huntsville as they were reasonably priced and not too far away from the race site. But I see they're full now. Sleep Inn in Huntsville is still open. You may want to check out this page if you haven't already: http://trimuskoka.com/relax/accommodations/,discounts possible if mentioning the Trimuskoka website when reserving.
2015-04-13 11:18 AM
in reply to: sbrdave

User image

Well, after calling most hotels on the list, I found one at $125 CAD/night. The Tulip Inn. Sounds cozy.

All signed up for IM Muskoka too.

If anyone is coming from Michigan, let me know...would love to meet up. My wife will be 30 weeks prego, so I am making this trip solo. Having her chase around our other 2 kids with a bun in the oven for 12 hours is not ideal.

Looking forward to an awesome race....should probably start training soon...

See you all in August!
2015-04-16 12:27 PM

User image

I started this thread on ST, in case anyone was curious as to the topic.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5510669;search_string=m...

2015-04-20 12:09 PM

User image

Regular
Muncie, IN
2015-04-21 10:25 AM

User image

Rochester, New York
Thanks for the link! I've been asking the question around quite a bit, but this covers it. I will say that the amount of sharp angle downhill-uphill is too damn high and there are quite a bit of sharp turns going up hill (to consider from a tri bike standpoint).
2015-05-01 9:03 PM
in reply to: jyoungiv

New user

Done the 70.3 twice and I gotta say, even the hills have hills Back end of bike course will eat you alive if you go too hard early on. Did IMCOZ twice and the half in Muskoka was tougher. I remember (after the race) riding my back back from Deer Hurst to my car (which was parked at the Deer Hurst landing strip) and cursing the hills. My legs were toast! Lol Right up until August 29th I'm going to eat, sleep and breathe hills it is a beast of a course.
2015-05-02 5:30 PM

User image

I've only done IMLOU, does anyone know how the bike sections compare? Louisville has continuous never ending hills. 2015 = Lots of hill repeats I think!!
2015-07-12 4:45 PM
in reply to: #5078019

User image

7 weeks out from the inaugural IM Muskoka. Any new additions? How is training going? A friend did the 70.3 last weekend...the hills are no joke and the run is barely shaded. Nutrition will be key....highly advise arm coolers too.

2015-07-13 11:46 AM

User image

Rochester, New York
Other than the nightmares (I did the half, I know those bike hills all too well) I'd say training is going okay I guess. I need to throw in a lot more bike training, but am super confident that I can swim and run/walk just fine.
2015-07-15 7:34 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Jeff B

7 weeks out from the inaugural IM Muskoka. Any new additions? How is training going? A friend did the 70.3 last weekend...the hills are no joke and the run is barely shaded. Nutrition will be key....highly advise arm coolers too.
''

Signed up two days ago. I was having a lackluster race summer and my wife wanted to get away for a weekend (she called me a "wimp" for not racing enough this year) so she signed me up for Muskoka. I don't know if I should thank her or curse her FWIW, it has reinvigorated my excitement about training. It won't be an exactly ideal IM prep but it should be good enough.

Now I need to find every hilly course around and start hitting them on the bike.
2015-07-21 1:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I got an email today with the Athlete's guide, schedule of events and my bib number. I am #770.

There is nothing in the schedule of events for on-site registration for next year for athletes or volunteers.

Hard to believe we are under 6 weeks away.

Hope everyone's training is going well, except those in the 45-49 AG.

Edited by DeVinci13 2015-07-21 1:22 PM
2015-07-22 7:54 PM

I'm in too, I was about to get my new tribike for this course but apparently I don't need that.... I wish I choose an easier course for my firsts IM but ....

In your opinion do I need aero bike on my road bike or can I still do a decent job without that? How long can you stay in aero position on this course ?

Thanks
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Muskoka : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Muskoka : Official Thread

Started by mtrunner6
Views: 2538 Posts: 15

2014-08-24 2:45 PM GoFaster

Ironman 70.3 Muskoka : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by playmobil31
Views: 7224 Posts: 41

2011-09-07 11:12 PM brigby1

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30606 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61101 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173181 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: