General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training on Road Bike vs. TT Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-19 8:08 PM

User image

, Massachusetts
Subject: Training on Road Bike vs. TT Bike
I'm picking up my new TT bike in a few days so for the first time I'll have both a road bike and a tri bike. Due to the weather where I live virtually all of my winter riding will be on a trainer on the new tri bike. I'm curious though, when riding outdoors, how much of your training is on a TT bike vs. road bike? With all the hills and traffic lights around me, it seems like long rides will be more productive on a more versatile (i.e. road) bike.

2014-12-19 8:51 PM
in reply to: dgconner154

User image

New user
Howell, Michigan
Subject: RE: Training on Road Bike vs. TT Bike
I probably use my road bike about one-third of the time in the summer. Mostly for group rides or rides near my house, with lots of stop signs, traffic, and not a great place to ride, really. On the weekends, I ride out of town and have much better routes, little traffic and no stop signs and use my TT bike.
2014-12-19 9:50 PM

I do all of my trainer rides using my road bike. Outside I probably ride my tri bike 75% of the time. Not for a specific training purpose, just because I like to ride my tri bike. Ride whichever bike you prefer.
2014-12-20 11:10 AM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Outdoor training: all on tri-bike. I live in the country so there's no traffic or intersections to deal with, just flat straight roads. And I never ride in a group, only solo. So the advantages of a road bike don't apply to me, and I'm much more comfortable riding for extended period on my tri bike than my road bike.

Indoor training: I ride a stationary bike at the gym at work, so that's set up more like a road bike, but I have my tri bike on my home trainer. My logic is that riding in the aero position uses some different muscles, and I don't want to lose that specific type of fitness over the winter, which I would be worried about if I only rode on the stationary bikes and my road bike for several months. The hope being I don't have to play "catch-up" in the spring and get my muscles to relearn riding in the aero position.
2014-12-20 11:15 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by dgconner154 I'm picking up my new TT bike in a few days so for the first time I'll have both a road bike and a tri bike. Due to the weather where I live virtually all of my winter riding will be on a trainer on the new tri bike. I'm curious though, when riding outdoors, how much of your training is on a TT bike vs. road bike? With all the hills and traffic lights around me, it seems like long rides will be more productive on a more versatile (i.e. road) bike.

Remember that the entire purpose of a tri bike is to reposition the rider's body to be able to ride in aero position. If you 're riding a tri bike up on the horns, then you're not in the right position for that bike. I'm a big believer in what Jordan Rapp wrote: Whenever you are NOT in your aerobars, you would better off on a road bike. 

Thus if you are going out on a ride where you can't ride aero very much (group ride with road bikes, hill repeats, stop-n-go route with lots of traffic lights), then you might want to take the road bike. Try to find local courses that maximize your ability to stay in aero, and take the tri bike.

Most of my winter riding is like yours: indoors on a trainer on the tri bike.  This is a great time to learn to ride in aero position as much as possible, since the point of a tri bike is to be riding in aero position.  Indoors you should aim for riding in aero 100% of the time.

Outdoors, I'm almost always on my tri bike unless weather is poor or I'm riding with other people on road bikes. I find a route that lets me be in aero > 50% of the time. As I'm coming up to race day, I may have to drive out to the countryside to find courses where I can ride 80 miles with >80% in aero.

2014-12-20 3:11 PM
in reply to: #5075942

User image

Expert
Leicester
I also spend winter mostly on the trainer on the Tri bike. I do use my monstercross to ride the canal tow paths and B roads over winter, yes the position on muscles are a bit different but it's good to get outside and do some cardio work and have fun.

2014-12-20 8:43 PM

User image

If its Olympic distance or shorter....probably 90-98% road bike. For HIM or longer, maybe 50-60% road bike. I much rather ride my road bike given the choice.
2014-12-22 7:37 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I get about 3-5 rides in per week on my road bike and at least 2 rides on my tri bike. I always do at least one interval session on my tri bike and then a medium distance, hard solo ride. There's times where I go out with a group of triathletes, and most of the time everyone will be on their tri bike; no pace line though!!!!
2014-12-22 8:01 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

I mix it up all summer with both bikes, but usually a month before a big race, I am doing 80% of my riding on my tri bike.  I do a lot of group riding and in general prefer the road bike in that application.

2014-12-22 9:35 AM

User image

Miami
All my trainer training (3-4 times / week) is on a road bike, since it is aluminum and I don't like putting my carbon tribike on the trainer. All my outdoor training is on the tribike (1-2 per week). This is all year long, since I live in Miami.

2014-12-22 12:01 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I'm kind of an outlier in the whole spectrum, as I only do a couple sprint tris a year. That said, I do 99.99% of my riding on a road, monstercross, or all-road bike (all with drop bars), and only enough riding on the tri bike in the two or so weeks leading up to an event that I can get through the needed miles.

2014-12-23 5:32 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Long Island, NY
In the spring/summer all outdoor rides on tri bike. Indoor training on road bike. Fall/Winter Tri bike goes on Wahoo trainor after last tri / Duathlon and road bike goes outside.
2014-12-26 1:23 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
race day is usually the only tie I ride the tri bike outside...so some years, 5-10 times; others, not at all.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training on Road Bike vs. TT Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Road bike vs TT/Tri bike

Started by bigspoon17
Views: 927 Posts: 3

2010-09-14 10:45 AM DanielG

difference in TT bike vs road bike

Started by triboy_20
Views: 1194 Posts: 4

2010-03-19 6:46 AM wee scotty

TT/Tri bike vs Road Bike

Started by summitbb
Views: 1140 Posts: 6

2010-03-15 11:35 AM Oldteen

TT Bike vs Road Bike Drafting

Started by jcbolton
Views: 3064 Posts: 6

2009-08-31 11:15 AM jcbolton

TT Bike vs Road bike tube shape?

Started by ezfast88
Views: 964 Posts: 5

2008-03-28 1:08 PM trophytaker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.