General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lets talk about polarized training for IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-19 11:16 PM

User image

Subject: Lets talk about polarized training for IM
This topic is discussing polarized training and to hopefully help come up with training plans with a HIM and IM focus. Maybe someone has trained like this before. If so, chime in. Suggested workouts are encouraged!

So the idea of polarized training has really got my attention. More so, since my running hasn't really improved much the past 2 years. My race times are better but not by as much as I like. I've been doing a tiny amount of research and, at least for running, one place recommends: 75% easy runs, 10% tempo, and 15% hard runs. For biking?...I don't know. I assume something close. Here's an example for me:

The Run
My long Z2 runs (HR based) are 7:00-8:00/mile depending on my fitness, weather, and how I'm feeling. With polarized, I'm going to push that up to 9:00 or 9:30/mile. I'm still trying to figure out if I should end this with a ~20-30 minute tempo with surges to get some of my hard time in.

Tonight I ran for an hour and had tried to do (3 mins @ 10mph, 2 min RI, 2 mins @ 11mph, 3min RI) x 4. This was a little harder than I thought and I couldn't get it all. I'm running about 4.5 hours/week right now and following the 15% rule, I'd need about 40 minute of hard intervals. This took care about 1/2 that so my other running day needs hard intervals too.

The Bike
This was seems easier to plan for with a power meter but I still don't know which percentages I should aim for. A focus of Z2 and Z5 work is what I'm going to aim for. I created a workout, which I doubt I can do yet, which is 4x8min Z5. Long rides will mainly be Z2 with maybe some random Z5 work and Z3 with surges as well.

Here's my question though: Will doing this hurt my endurance and should I add more Z3 into the program the closer I get to my HIM or IM or should I stay the course? Looking at my bike data from last year, I did a lot of Z4/Z5 work in the early/pre-season. I had a higher FTP and my HR was lower at the same effort as I got more into the season and focused only on Z2-Z4 workouts for my IM. My HR slowly increased throughout the months for the same wattage and my FTP slowly went down (although not by much).

Discuss! Lets keep this clean and fun.

2014-12-20 9:08 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Lets talk about polarized training for IM

I posted this over on ST a month or two ago.  I got some good feedback but nothing saying the schedule or structure was the problem.

Been tinkering with training plan setup for 2015. I want to move away from the threshold training regimen that I've been using for years and try a more polarized training approach. My performance was stagnant this year and I got into a bad fatigue rut as I just wasn't doing enough easy or recovery. I'd like to try something different and see how it goes. Move up to M45-49 in 2015 so recovery is becoming more and more important. 

Without going into the detailed minutia of each workout (let's just call them easy and hard for now) and operating on the one real hard workout per discipline per week approach -- what are some thoughts on the timing and spacing of the hard workouts? 

4x swim per week 
4x bike per week 
4x run per week 

My caveats are no swimming on the weekend, long bike is Sunday, long run is Friday. Next year is 70.3 focused for the first half of the year, and then short course the second half. Will make long bike and run more race specific as the races near. 

My initial thoughts: 

Monday: Easy swim, easy run 
Tuesday: Easy swim, hard run 
Wednesday: Easy swim, easy bike 
Thursday: Easy run, hard bike 
Friday: Hard swim, easy long run 
Saturday: Easy bike 
Sunday: Easy long bike 

2014-12-20 9:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by BlastmanHere's my question though: Will doing this hurt my endurance and should I add more Z3 into the program the closer I get to my HIM or IM or should I stay the course? Looking at my bike data from last year, I did a lot of Z4/Z5 work in the early/pre-season. I had a higher FTP and my HR was lower at the same effort as I got more into the season and focused only on Z2-Z4 workouts for my IM. My HR slowly increased throughout the months for the same wattage and my FTP slowly went down (although not by much). Discuss! Lets keep this clean and fun.

Yes, move to more race specific workouts the closer the race.  I think the HIM distance is the hardest distance for a polarized concept.  For an IM, the easy workouts are already kind of race specific.  For sprint and oly, the hard workouts are already race specific.  HIM pacing falls way more into the sweet spot/mid-zone levels that the polarized concept looks to avoid.  That's why you need to gravitate towards HIM pacing specificity.  If you strictly followed the polarized concept and only did your bike workouts at 65% or 110% that 56 mile ride at 80-85% is going to probably kill you as you haven't spent enough time training to ride that distance at that intensity.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2014-12-20 9:16 AM
2014-12-20 9:33 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by BlastmanHere's my question though: Will doing this hurt my endurance and should I add more Z3 into the program the closer I get to my HIM or IM or should I stay the course? Looking at my bike data from last year, I did a lot of Z4/Z5 work in the early/pre-season. I had a higher FTP and my HR was lower at the same effort as I got more into the season and focused only on Z2-Z4 workouts for my IM. My HR slowly increased throughout the months for the same wattage and my FTP slowly went down (although not by much). Discuss! Lets keep this clean and fun.

Yes, move to more race specific workouts the closer the race.  I think the HIM distance is the hardest distance for a polarized concept.  For an IM, the easy workouts are already kind of race specific.  For sprint and oly, the hard workouts are already race specific.  HIM pacing falls way more into the sweet spot/mid-zone levels that the polarized concept looks to avoid.  That's why you need to gravitate towards HIM pacing specificity.  If you strictly followed the polarized concept and only did your bike workouts at 65% or 110% that 56 mile ride at 80-85% is going to probably kill you as you haven't spent enough time training to ride that distance at that intensity.

Would consider taking a look at how much race pacing one might need in training for the HIM. More so as volume goes up, it might not really go that far from polarized. The ratios between the zones will likely change, but the middle zone may still not dominate time. Maybe consider looking at the ratios over a period of at least a month.

2014-12-20 9:39 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Blastman 0 or 9:30/mile. I'm still trying to figure out if I should end this with a ~20-30 minute tempo with surges to get some of my hard time in.

Tonight I ran for an hour and had tried to do (3 mins @ 10mph, 2 min RI, 2 mins @ 11mph, 3min RI) x 4. This was a little harder than I thought and I couldn't get it all. I'm running about 4.5 hours/week right now and following the 15% rule, I'd need about 40 minute of hard intervals. This took care about 1/2 that so my other running day needs hard intervals too. 

There isn't anything on what you're trying to base any of those run paces off of.

2014-12-20 10:00 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by brigby1

Would consider taking a look at how much race pacing one might need in training for the HIM. More so as volume goes up, it might not really go that far from polarized. The ratios between the zones will likely change, but the middle zone may still not dominate time. Maybe consider looking at the ratios over a period of at least a month.

Yes, it's going to be a little bit of lab rat/guinea pig trial and error thing at the beginning.

2014-12-20 4:59 PM

User image

Well today I did my long run. I went out for 2 hours and decided to go even slower. Normally I try to stay at 155bpm on my long slow runs (mid/upper Z2). Today I decided to go 130-135, which got me to 9:00-9:30/mile range. Tomorrow I plan meet up with a friend for a trainer session. I think the videos he has planned have a lot of SS and Z5 intervals, so not completely what I'm looking for but I should be more rested going into it than I normally am. Thinking it's 2-3 hours long total.

I want to try this out but I know I'll need to switch up my schedule. It seems almost impossible to have easy and then hard days for a triathlete training all 3 sports. I have issues moving my long run until it's warmer. I don't mind running in the dark but it needs to be warmer and less windy than it is now. It was upper 30's today and drizzling today and I was frozen! Being wet doesn't help and going slower so I don't warm up at all doesn't help either. I want to try this for 2-3 months or so and then do some testing to see where I am. My FTP is about 20watts lower than what it was a few months ago. My runner seems to be about on par to where I know I could knock out a decent HM but not a full marathon right now.
2014-12-21 7:28 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Is polarized training just a way of saying,

"Make sure your long / slow training is slow and make sure your speed training is actually fast?"

2014-12-21 7:29 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

I posted this over on ST a month or two ago.  I got some good feedback but nothing saying the schedule or structure was the problem.

Been tinkering with training plan setup for 2015. I want to move away from the threshold training regimen that I've been using for years and try a more polarized training approach. My performance was stagnant this year and I got into a bad fatigue rut as I just wasn't doing enough easy or recovery. I'd like to try something different and see how it goes. Move up to M45-49 in 2015 so recovery is becoming more and more important. 

Without going into the detailed minutia of each workout (let's just call them easy and hard for now) and operating on the one real hard workout per discipline per week approach -- what are some thoughts on the timing and spacing of the hard workouts? 

4x swim per week 
4x bike per week 
4x run per week 

My caveats are no swimming on the weekend, long bike is Sunday, long run is Friday. Next year is 70.3 focused for the first half of the year, and then short course the second half. Will make long bike and run more race specific as the races near. 

My initial thoughts: 

No rest days?  Do you have a job or other responsibilities?

2014-12-21 8:06 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by pga_mike

Is polarized training just a way of saying,

"Make sure your long / slow training is slow and make sure your speed training is actually fast?"

It adds in about how easy and how fast. People can run easier and faster on their respective days, but not necessarily with enough separation. Or perhaps more importantly, above & below some physiological marker points.

No rest days? Do you have a job or other responsibilities?

Complete rest days don't always need to be scheduled in. Some athletes can handle, and do better with, some lighter activity instead of being completely off. Also, some prefer to schedule in workouts every day, and then take the day off when they need it every few weeks or longer. Life happens and things can't always be controlled to happen on the scheduled rest day.

Edited by brigby1 2014-12-21 8:10 AM
2014-12-21 8:33 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

4x swim per week 
4x bike per week 
4x run per week 

My initial thoughts: 

No rest days?  Do you have a job or other responsibilities?

The easy days are the rest/recovery days.  There is no need for a rest day if you have a well thought out plan that factors in recovery.  Like Ben also mentioned... if I need to take a day off I will take a day off.

Yes, 50 hour a week job, wife and kids.  Finding time to workout 10-15 hours a week really isn't that hard.

2014-12-21 7:24 PM

User image

I agree. I don't really do rest days except when my job has me working stupid hours randomly. My "rest day" is normally the day I spent an hour at the gym lifting weights (upper, lower, and core workouts). This month I started doing 30 minutes of super easy running (6-6.5mph) at the end of lifting weight to help up my run volume.

Anyway...I thought I'd post this up here as something to look at since a lot of people aren't posting anything:
2014 zone workouts

This doesn't include all my workouts since sometimes I'm on the spin bike (winter) 1 day/week since I like to run afterwards. I have some injuries and races in there (also there was a period where I was just burned out and slacked for almost a month...) but it's pretty clear that I spend a lot of time in the yellow zone (I tried to color code my workouts like the 3 zone video). In July I went tempo crazy before my HIM. I did well in it but wonder if tried a little more polarized if it would have been better. This is the first time I really looked at this chart (Gold Cheetah). I plan to try more Z2/Z5 biking this week and see how I like it. I know it won't be fun. My FTP is currently 15 watts below last year's best and I have a very hard time holding anything above lower Z3 for a while (e.g., there's no way I could ever hold my FTP for an hour). This something I'm hoping a mix up in my workouts will change. For the record, I did almost all sweet spot training and hardly any FTP or above training after March. March is also when I peaked my FTP for the year. Almost a pattern if more people experienced the same thing.

Still worried about lowering Z3 as I get close toHIM/IM but the elites seem like this kept this workout schedule their entire timing time for marathons. I assume it would carry over to biking as well.

Edited by Blastman 2014-12-21 7:26 PM
2014-12-21 8:46 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Blastman  Anyway...I thought I'd post this up here as something to look at since a lot of people aren't posting anything: 2014 zone workouts 

So how will the actual workouts change to fit the new concepts? I'm still not sure where the pace selection came from for a hard run posted earlier.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lets talk about polarized training for IM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

For all those geting into the polarized concept of training Pages: 1 2 3

Started by bcagle25
Views: 6606 Posts: 66

2014-12-21 5:58 AM marcag

IM Finishers: Lets talk post-T2 psychology Pages: 1 2

Started by FELTGood
Views: 2068 Posts: 29

2011-06-21 9:17 PM tmp1980

OK....let's talk days "off" from training

Started by nc452010
Views: 1594 Posts: 18

2010-04-16 10:42 AM Apotheosis

Let's talk taper and food

Started by cavaliercrazy
Views: 902 Posts: 7

2004-09-12 10:55 PM Rowdy

lets talk about rest

Started by cangirl
Views: 986 Posts: 8

2004-07-28 6:18 PM joeinco
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Why it’s so hard for us to talk about losing at a simple game? Sports are supposed to be about building positive character, supposed to be about fairness, equality, and striving for excellence.

date : August 10, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with AdventureBear, aka Coach Suzanne on her coaching philosophy, approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?
date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on indoor bike workouts, IM fueling, coke or broth, bikes and swimming exercises.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.