General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you do tri in your sleep? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2014-12-22 1:52 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: Do you do tri in your sleep?

After my millionth dream about triathlons last night, I figured I'd ask if anyone else does the same thing. Are they good dreams or nightmares? Do you cross the finish line in glory or crash and burn along the way. For me, most of them involve me being late to a race, and having to start way behind everyone. I hate those!

2014-12-22 2:25 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: RE: Do you do tri in your sleep?

I have them frequently when races get closer.... Typically it will be weird stuff like I'm in the water ready to start the swim and I don't have my goggles or I'm for some reason holding my bike?!?!...

Another regular occurrence is getting set up in transition only to have forgotten my bike, my shoes and about half the stuff needed to race....

2014-12-22 2:43 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Oh yes. I had one the other night where I was sure I had accidentally skipped the 2nd loop of the Ironman run. But my old coach was there and he reviewed my GPS information online to deduct that I had, in fact, covered the 2nd loop. I even remember my exact finish time (13:53) but I subtracted 8 minutes since I stood in the finish chute waiting for someone for 8 minutes. Because naturally that wouldn't count

2014-12-22 3:14 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Luckier then you guys. I only dream of the pleasure, mostly the swimming part, sometime the other sports. I always feel exhilarated in those dream which is in good part how I feel during the races. Then, when I wake, those make me happy for most of my day.
2014-12-22 3:24 PM

User image

oh, I was hoping this would be a thread about the crazy folks that sleep walk. I'm in the whatever % that sleep walk and a while back I was swimming the English channel but only 1 of my arms worked and it was a real struggle. Turns out it was the arm dangling over the bed side that I could freely swing--my other arm was tangled up in my sheets It was really frustrating to only have 1 arm that works for swimming.
2014-12-22 3:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

I do, especially as racing season gets closer.  My dreams more involve running more then triathlons in general.

Edited by Justin86 2014-12-22 3:33 PM

2014-12-22 6:18 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

My running and triathlon dreams are usually a reflection of other anxieties-- not about the sports themselves. For example, I often have the dream where I'm in a race and the course changes while I'm in it, or in the middle of a race I'm in a maze-like mess in buildings with doors and hallways where I can't see around the corner, or I am in a race unexpectedly for which I'm not prepared. It's not hard to see what these mean wrt my real life.
2014-12-22 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Sillygal

oh, I was hoping this would be a thread about the crazy folks that sleep walk. I'm in the whatever % that sleep walk and a while back I was swimming the English channel but only 1 of my arms worked and it was a real struggle. Turns out it was the arm dangling over the bed side that I could freely swing--my other arm was tangled up in my sheets It was really frustrating to only have 1 arm that works for swimming.

LOL. I did much more sleep walking younger. The most scary dreams would be climbing dreams where I fall to my death. I usually wake up turning my head real fast which cause me to see the walls and roof moving as if I was actually falling. Falling in my dream and falling as I wake up, talk about scary.

No triathlon sleep walk yet. Only happy dreams.

Edited by Antoine tri 2014-12-22 10:32 PM
2014-12-23 6:21 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
No, but I du.
2014-12-23 10:37 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Denver, CO

I had a dream before my 1st tri that I'd forgotten my wetsuit and my family was asking me to drive all over to pick them up and I kept running into road detours so I didn't have time to go back and pick it up before the race.  Like jennifer_runs, those kinds of dreams usually relate to what's going on in my real life.  This one just happened to mix in the anxiety about doing my 1st tri.

2014-12-23 4:35 PM
in reply to: #5076432

User image

Expert
Leicester
Apparently I do.
I don't dream it, at least that I recall, but my wife says I cover dozens of miles sleep running in bed in the weeks leading up to races.

2014-12-23 8:30 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by TriMike

I have them frequently when races get closer.... Typically it will be weird stuff like I'm in the water ready to start the swim and I don't have my goggles or I'm for some reason holding my bike?!?!...

Another regular occurrence is getting set up in transition only to have forgotten my bike, my shoes and about half the stuff needed to race....

My dreams are usually kind of weird too.  Like no matter how hard I run I don't go anywhere, like I'm running in molasses.  Or I have forgotten half my stuff at home and the race is about getting back home to get it before the race starts.

2014-12-23 9:02 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by popsracer

My dreams are usually kind of weird too.  Like no matter how hard I run I don't go anywhere, like I'm running in molasses.  Or I have forgotten half my stuff at home and the race is about getting back home to get it before the race starts.

Aw man I have those all the time. I try and I try to move forward but the legs are stuck in invisible goo. I lean forward as far as I can but just can't go. What does this mean???

2014-12-23 10:42 PM

Originally posted by trijamie

Originally posted by popsracer

Aw man I have those all the time. I try and I try to move forward but the legs are stuck in invisible goo. I lean forward as far as I can but just can't go. What does this mean???

Hopefully this is not a rhetorical question I am taking too seriously...

The dreams which affect me are usually nothing more and an imaged representation of how I feel. When I have the kind of dreams you have, I usually realize I have been procrastinating about something which holds me back.

During the day I rationalize what is happening while during my dreams it is thrown right back at me. This is why those kind of dream are the ones which I dislike the most.

Edited by Antoine tri 2014-12-23 11:00 PM
2014-12-24 6:26 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, a lot. They almost always involve my bike. Either I can't find it, or I get on the wrong one, or (two nights ago) I've somehow left it somewhere on the street without locking it. Woke up in a total panic two nights ago, convinced I'd left my new Cervelo somewhere. Prior to tri, they were always running dreams about missing the start, or running in invisible molasses. Oddly, if I dream about swimming, it's always happy. Streets become lazy rivers and one swims for transport, lakes and oceans are calm and warm, and I can swim for hours while sightseeing, like hiking in water. Weird. My only analysis of this is that maybe since I learned to swim before I learned to walk, maybe I'm more at home in the water??? Or maybe it's prophetic--I'm kind of in a potential flood situation in Sri Lanka tonight, and hoping I don't have to swim my way out!

As for glory, no. I did dream once that I was winning Kona (complete with seeing my name on the leaderboard held by the motorbike guy, ahead of Rinny and Chrissy) except in the final miles of the run I realized I hadn't seen a mile marker for a while, then suddenly it occurred to me I was on my old favorite running route in Honolulu. Must have taken a wrong turn somewhere.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-12-24 6:28 AM
2014-12-24 2:22 PM

Usually dreams about missing starts...too busy talking when the gun goes off and I haven't even picked up my packet yet, etc....

One time I dreamt that I learned the secret to swimming and glided like a water bug over the surface. So cool.

2014-12-25 5:54 PM

Funny timing for this thread; I think I had my first tri-related dream last night. I dreamed me and a friend got to the finish line at the 2015 Clemson sprint and could not understand how we had done so well - 47 minutes! Turns out we both forgot the bike leg. We went back to T1 to saddle up and they were taking down the bike racks, but we were able to mount and go. I must have awaken then as that is all I remember.

Merry Christmas to all!

2014-12-28 8:32 AM
in reply to: moukie

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Had a good one last night where instead of triathlon being "swim-bike-run" it was "extreme waterskiing-bike-run"

In the same way that a coach would watch footage of your swim stroke, my coaches were analyzing footage of me doing a barrel roll off a ramp and through a pair of explosions. Bummer to have to wake up from that one

2015-01-18 2:59 PM

Originally posted by trijamie

Had a good one last night where instead of triathlon being "swim-bike-run" it was "extreme waterskiing-bike-run"

In the same way that a coach would watch footage of your swim stroke, my coaches were analyzing footage of me doing a barrel roll off a ramp and through a pair of explosions. Bummer to have to wake up from that one

Last night....instead of SBR it was swim/bike/basket ball.

I was psyched because in my dream I could apparently shoot hoops very well.

In real life I'm a short white guy with little coordination.
2015-01-18 4:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I absolutely do!!

I never really realized it until I was hit by a car, and in the hospital with a busted femur, and had to get hip surgery.

I'd be dreaming of biking or running, and my legs would twitch ( sort of like you see a cat or dog do when they dream ) but the twitch would cause the injured leg enough pain to wake me up!!

Now that I am more cognizant of it, I have noticed it more since then.
2015-01-18 4:19 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Glad I'm not the only one that has crazy dreams. Mine always involve me missing something. My bike being locked in a strangers van at the startling line might have been the weirdest. I've also had the dreams where I'm running really slow too, and leaning forward and even using my hands to push me forward but just can't get going. Why can't I ever have a tri dream where I win Kona or something?

2015-01-19 7:41 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Typical dream is about forgetting stuff. I have golf dreams where I am stuck on the tee for ages trying to find a tee and then a good spot to set up. My tri dreams are very similar. In the last one I got to T1 and had no bike shoes. Then decided to drive home to get them and figured the lost time would not be too bad.

Also have dreams about trying to drag along a mechanical breakdown on the bike. Also based around some form of frustration.
2015-01-19 1:04 PM

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
I had lots of bad dreams when I had my first ironman coming up. Always related to the swim. Not me dying, but random stuff like being late, getting lost on the course, getting out of the water way after everyone else etc. The race weighed heavily on my mind. I was very happy with my 1:21 swim, and I wonder, now that I have more confidence, if I'll get the bad dreams before my second ironman in June
2015-01-20 7:00 AM
in reply to: Dnn

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It would be nice to have more confidence, but I have been running (and, at times, swimming) for 35 years, and I have had 35 years of stupid pre-race dreams. It doesn't matter if it's the Youth Classic Run, the high school state meet, the Olympic Trials, NCAA Nationals, or the Random SE Asia Triathlon, I will have roughly the same pre-race dream on one of those familiar themes--equipment failure, missing the start, getting lost, moving through molasses. I guess in that way I have never grown up!

Last year before one of my A races I had a very vivid, uncharacteristic dream that I had a nice, normal race, finished (an Oly) in the exact time of 2:37:11, and won my AG. That was a reasonable time as I was hoping to break 2:40 and maybe get close to 2:35. Woke up astonished at how uneventful my prerace dream was, and convinced I was actually going to do 2:37:11. I did win my AG, in 2:41. So much for my prophetic powers!
2015-01-20 2:21 PM

User image

I had a dream recently after my first tri team practice that we were doing a spinning class in my grandmother's house, and the instructor was mad because I couldn't find my trainer, turns out my trainer in dream-world folds up like a Transformer into a bowling ball. They started the spinning class in my grandmother's kitchen while I struggled to set up my trainer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you do tri in your sleep? Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2095 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1646 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Done with First Tri!!!!!!

Started by gj50
Views: 764 Posts: 6

2004-07-26 2:12 PM gj50

Tri number two is done.

Started by kgart
Views: 958 Posts: 7

2004-07-13 7:14 PM crpadiem

Beginner - doing the March 27 tri

Started by tmwelshy
Views: 1245 Posts: 11

2004-02-24 12:25 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.