BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2015-01-20 7:19 PM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED

Nicole-Ryan raises some good questions. Sometimes we just have an off day despite great preparation. On the positive side you have a great run base heading into the rest of the off season that will carry over as you incorporate more swimming and biking

2015-01-20 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Originally posted by Ryan Mac

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Yesterday's race did not go well.  I'm pretty disappointed about it.  But on a positive note, the stupid run focus is over and I get to swim and bike again!  Knocked out 3000m this morning (pace has dropped off a bit and effort is up....but for being out of the water for nearly two months, it's not really that bad) and will be on the trainer for an easy spin tonight. 

Sorry to hear that - it's tough to go into races and have expectations and goals not be met. Do you have a good sense of what you're disappointed in/what didn't go well?

Yeah that stinks Nicole.  I would not mind hearing your thoughts on what you think went wrong.  Sometimes, its just one of those days where you dont have it.  Other times, the taper or plan leading up.

I put together a race report so you can read through some of my thoughts: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=528406&posts=1&page=1

I am looking into doing some VO2 testing as kind of a starting point and will have to go back to the drawing board to revamp my training.  It seems that "conventional wisdom" does not provide the stimulus I need to improve.  Consistent running and (relatively) high volume has not translated to improvements for me....nor has tempo work.  So I suspect there will need to be more hard/short intervals in my future to see any improvements.

Really disappointing to have focused on running since September and to get five minutes slower on a HM that should have been faster (flatter course, perfect weather, etc). 

On a positive note, I'm back in the pool and on the bike....my body is certainly not accustomed to it yet!  Swimming muscles are sore....saddle contact area is tender!  I'm just taking it easy for now, but good to be back to doing the things I tend to enjoy more.

Nicole: what plan were you following? The volume looks about right and I saw a couple 5 mile tempo runs in there. Curious if you ever did any runs where you had 8-10 miles done at HM pace spread throughout a run? A run that would give you an indication of what pace you could actually hold or were you just utilizing charts like McMillan or Daniels?

It sucks when you have a bad race, especially when you have trained hard and are expecting a good result.

It may be time for you to do some high intensity training. Consistent z2/long aerobic training only works for so long before you need to start to make some changes and variation.

Have a read of this article about polarized training (I hope it attaches):

Attachments
----------------
polarized training has greater impact on key endurance variables than thershold high intensity or high volume training.pdf (535KB - 1 downloads)
2015-01-20 7:39 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I don't doubt that it was an off day -- but I don't know why that was.  I did a 5k Turkey Trot in November that I chalked up to an off day.  But honestly, not every day can be an off day, so I don't know if I'm doing something to sabotage myself or if they aren't actually off days and that's just where I am....

The disappointing thing was to focus all my efforts on running (dropping the bike and swim completely for the last two months) only to come out five minutes slower than where I was in October....for a race I hadn't put that much training into and didn't taper for.  

I was following a plan that I put together myself.  I pulled from other plans to put it together as I wasn't finding other plans that looked like what I needed (says the girl who doesn't know much about running....heh).  I wanted to be running 6-7 days a week with one long run, one tempo run, and one run with 5k - 10k interval work.  Unfortunately, I got sick at the end of November that stopped me in my tracks for 11 days, which ended up being well over two weeks to get back to a point where running felt reasonable again.  So the plan got derailed as I tried to get back to where I left off.  So I certainly acknowledge that my training leading up to the race was not ideal and ended up not actually following the plan for the last six or so weeks.

2015-01-20 7:52 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Hey team.
I've a done a couple of good solid workouts lately.

I did a 4hr/100k bike with 10s sprints thrown in, on the weekend, which was good. Longest ride for a long while (I didn't hit 100k training for my last HIM).

On Tuesday I did an FTP test, and set a new PR with a max 20min power of 230W, scaling that by 95% to give an estimated FTP of 218 (3.02W/kg).

today was a 'long' run of 70mins/11km. Just really getting back into the run after a strong cycle focus block.

When training for an HIM, what is your longest run/ride? How many times do you aim to do this?

Personally, I like several runs of race distance (21k/13mi), slower than race pace. Last year, my HIM followed several months after a marathon, so I had a super high level of run fitness, and I'd do at least a 90min and a 2hr+ run each week. I am gunning for at least a couple more 100k rides before the race at the end of May.

Keep training hard everyone!
2015-01-20 8:15 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane

This group has really got hit with the sick bug.  Do not stress to much over missing workouts, due to sickness, at this point.  A couple workouts is not going to make or break your HIM in May/April.  Recover fully and start back slowly.

Hello group

I've missed almost a week's worth of workouts so far. I was actually either on the couch or in bed the whole weekend. I'm now starting to feel better. Going to try a swim here in a few minutes. I should be able to at least get 1000 yards in.

Still reading up on the ithlete website. Lots of great info. I'm thinking a Mio may be in my possession in the near future.

Sorry to hear about the bad races and other sick bugs. At least it's still only January!

Jim
2015-01-21 8:54 AM
in reply to: littlewj

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi everyone,

So, i owe you a thank you - not really for doing anything in particular but last night I did my workouts after 8pm despite the dark and cold and the fact i'm tired.  I thought about posting here again saying i didn't do my workouts and I didn't want to do that. I am tougher than that. So, this mentor group has provided some accountability even though you're not strictly monitoring me 

I did a short spin last night which helped me be warm to go out to the treadmill in the garage! Got in 30' on the bike and 40' running. 

Working from home today so planning to do some pilates at lunch (short videos for core) and then swimming tonight.  I am in for practicing more flip turns for sure but i have to look and see what torture she has for us tonight! ha! 

Have a good one everyone! 

2015-01-21 9:06 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Extreme Veteran

Greeat job, Jen!  I'm just watching on the sideline for now.  Back at work today with no fever!  However, no working out.  The wife is tough and she means NO workouts.

2015-01-21 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Nice work Jen!

I had a 1:15 ride with 4x10' intervals building within each from 80-100%FTP.  Not an overly difficult ride but more intensity than I have been doing on the bike so nice to feel good with it.

I have been searching for a shoe to replace my Kswiss Blade Lights.  I love that shoe but they no longer make running shoes.  I tried the Pearl Izumi E-Motion but the heel is just too low so thinking of trying the Zoot TT 7.0 shoe.  Looking for a neutral cushion shoe in the 8.5-9.5 oz range if you have any thoughts.

2015-01-21 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nice work Jen!

I had a 1:15 ride with 4x10' intervals building within each from 80-100%FTP.  Not an overly difficult ride but more intensity than I have been doing on the bike so nice to feel good with it.

I have been searching for a shoe to replace my Kswiss Blade Lights.  I love that shoe but they no longer make running shoes.  I tried the Pearl Izumi E-Motion but the heel is just too low so thinking of trying the Zoot TT 7.0 shoe.  Looking for a neutral cushion shoe in the 8.5-9.5 oz range if you have any thoughts.

what size ?
http://www.runningfree.com/products/KSwiss-44851/KSwiss-Kwicky-Blad...

size 10.5 and 11.5

With the Cdn $ exchange = cheap
2015-01-21 3:56 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Originally posted by marcag

Nice work Jen!

what size ?http://www.runningfree.com/products/KSwiss-44851/KSwiss-Kwicky-Blade-Light-p30654/?pstart=1size 10.5 and 11.5With the Cdn $ exchange = cheap
9. I have found them for the last year on the cheap but they are getting harder to find. I figured I should start looking for a permanent solution. I bought the last pair for $50!!
2015-01-21 5:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nice work Jen!

what size ?http://www.runningfree.com/products/KSwiss-44851/KSwiss-Kwicky-Blade-Light-p30654/?pstart=1size 10.5 and 11.5With the Cdn $ exchange = cheap
9. I have found them for the last year on the cheap but they are getting harder to find. I figured I should start looking for a permanent solution. I bought the last pair for $50!!

Same problem here. I run with Kswiss Kona-S and they are getting rarer. I have 3 pairs left :-)

30min run up the mountain tonight in the snow. It was pleasant.

2015-01-21 7:03 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

I'm on my last pair of Saucony Mirage 3. First run today in HOKA Bondi 4s. Obviously a very different shoe than the Mirage. HOKA's felt good and did 7 miles plus in then with some intervals with no issues. The Saucony's still have some miles left in them so the HOKAs will probably be mixed in for longer runs to give the legs a little relief from pounding

I like a fairly light shoe with a little stability....hard to know what to try with so many different shoes out there.

2015-01-21 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Originally posted by slornow

I'm on my last pair of Saucony Mirage 3. First run today in HOKA Bondi 4s. Obviously a very different shoe than the Mirage. HOKA's felt good and did 7 miles plus in then with some intervals with no issues. The Saucony's still have some miles left in them so the HOKAs will probably be mixed in for longer runs to give the legs a little relief from pounding

I like a fairly light shoe with a little stability....hard to know what to try with so many different shoes out there.

I know! So many options, just like bikes!

I wear Brooks Ravenna style. I started with the Rav 2, and I'm now up to the Rav 5, as there is a new model each year. I have found them to be very reliable and comfortable for my needs.

I race HIM and below in a Brooks racing flat. My marathon I did in my normal trainers. Not sure if my legs and feet could handle an minimal shoe for that long.

But it looks like you all find a good shoe then stock up. That's definitely the way to go, especially if you are a bit picky as they eventually phase shoes out and no longer make them, and even the same style won't be completely the same.

I've got a run on for this afternoon then an acupuncture/massage appointment.
2015-01-22 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Ahh the Hoka Kook-aid haha.  I know everybody that tries them really likes them.

My concern is when the decision comes to return to a more conventional shoe if one will be more susceptible to injury since you will no longer be running on a pillow

My goal is to find a shoe that I like under $100/pair since I tend to buy 3 or 4 per year.

2015-01-22 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Yes, shoes are an on-going dilemma. I was a loyal Asics 21XX wearer for ages. I wear them in narrow and they were one of the few models to come in narrow.  Anyway, they've replaced them with the 200X models and i think they are okay. I have only had one pair so far. I don't love them quite as much but they'll do. 

Thankfully, i also live near the outlet for the Running Room and i can pick up last year's model in the narrow for pretty cheap. At the end of the 21XX's i got my last pair for $40! 

I actually need a new pair, mine are getting close to the 600 km threshold for me.  Might make the trip over to the outlet this weekend.

2015-01-22 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Oh and good swim last night - we had a guest coach so i didn't get yelled at for flip turns. I did a few but our lane was busy tonight so i also didn't have a lot of room in the wu or cd to do extra practice.

Went to yoga at lunch. Very lucky to have a nice studio with 1hr lunch classes across the street from work. Today was ashtanga (power) which I will consider a strength workout - especially considering how much shoulders are acting right now! 

Planning to do some bike intervals tonight after the little one goes to sleep.  Whatever is on the plan! 

2015-01-22 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I got a good 2800m swim this AM and plan on a 5mile (8km) run in the mountain later.

5 degrees F.....get out the shorts
2015-01-22 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Today was a 1 hour sweetspot ride and then ran 5 miles easy off the bike.

Things are starting to gradually ramp up for me with training.  I am scheduled for 40 miles running this week and working back in an additional bike ride.

2015-01-22 3:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

What % is sweetspot?

2015-01-22 3:48 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Originally posted by GAUG3

What % is sweetspot?

88-92% FTP. Basically a range where you can accumulate a lot of training stress without a lot of negative physical impact. Basically you could do work in this range day after day. Whereas with threshold and VO2 you cannot without significant negative effects to your swim and run workouts.
2015-01-22 3:59 PM

User image

NH
Sorry, been offline. I have joined the walk of the dead. A little sinus thing over the weekend turned into pneumonia. Apparently recovering from surgery is one of the risk factors - who knew?

Anyway, it's a very mild case and I'm feeling a little better already, but my doc said I should give it a week after I feel better before doing much. He gets me, so he knows that I need to train for my sanity and he always gets me on back as soon as he can, so I trust him.

2015-01-22 7:38 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Ahh the Hoka Kook-aid haha.  I know everybody that tries them really likes them.

My concern is when the decision comes to return to a more conventional shoe if one will be more susceptible to injury since you will no longer be running on a pillow

My goal is to find a shoe that I like under $100/pair since I tend to buy 3 or 4 per year.

I have used HOKAs before and always use them in rotation with a more conventional shoe. I'm an old man and need a little extra cushion every once in awhile  

Easy treadmill run EARLY this morning before hitting the road for the day. 75 min easy spin on the bike this evening

2015-01-23 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi everyone! Happy Friday!

Battled the 'I don't wanna' demons and went out for a lunch run. Loved the sunshine.  The wind notsomuch.  It was just a chilly run.  I haven't used my HRM in ages so i strapped it on to see if I could run by HR.  I'll need to test my zones but if it stays where they are i'll have trouble staying Z2. 

What is everyone else up to for the weekend?

Jen 

2015-01-23 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Battled the 'I don't wanna' demons and went out for a lunch run. Loved the sunshine.  The wind notsomuch.  It was just a chilly run.  I haven't used my HRM in ages so i strapped it on to see if I could run by HR.  I'll need to test my zones but if it stays where they are i'll have trouble staying Z2. 

Jen 

Short 30min mountain run this AM and 1h10 VO2 session this evening

Tomorrow run+threshold bike
Sunday longish run
2015-01-23 6:00 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Jen 

Short 30min mountain run this AM and 1h10 VO2 session this eveningTomorrow run+threshold bikeSunday longish run
2200 swim and 7 mile progression run today. 1 hr ride and 3 mile brick run tomorrow. 12 mile run Sunday.No kids tonight hooray
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 26

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28962 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46072 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54116 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 0
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.