BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2015-02-10 1:56 PM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED

How many miles on a lap?  I have 4 right now.

2015-02-10 1:57 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GAUG3
What % low and cap do you put on HIM races?  I've seen 75%-85% and 80-85%

These numbers are very high guidelines. They do require knowing your true CP. My belief is many people have poorly estimated their CP.

If you have an accurate CP and you have the training to back it, a NP of around 80% for 2.5 hours works for me. If you are more of a 3hr rider I would drop that closer to 75%.

Test rides at those paces allows you to have confidence you can run after them. When in doubt, go conservative. 10 watts less on the bike can be made up on the run. 10 watts too much on the bike, resulting in a walk cannot be recovered.
2015-02-10 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

How many miles on a lap?  I have 4 right now.

I only base my laps on prescribed interval length. If I was doing 4x25' at 80% ftp, my lap is 25'. Never done it on a set mileage schedule. All depends on how you plan to break down the ride when you are complete and analyzing it.
2015-02-10 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Finally! I swam last night - with fins.  It hurt a little breathe on the right. I should still not push too hard while I have pain.  

Today, i tried out the Y near my work and did 40-minute run. It was harder than it should have been but i also, again, need to baby myself a bit and just be where I am. Getting back to consistency is more important than any pace. 

2015-02-10 7:54 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

What power screens do you have?  I have avg 3s, avg 10s, power zone and % of FTP.  I'm not locked into any of them.  I'm just seeing what there is and learning.  I even had balance at one point.  I even thought about putting IF on it just see it.

On my Garmin on the bike:

Screen 1:  3s power; avg pwr; NP; elapsed time; cadence; HR; distance

Screen 2: 3s power; lap power; NP lap; current lap time; lap distance; cadence; lap HR

Screen 3: current speed; avg speed; temp; elapsed time

I mainly have it set up this way for training. I don't have a specific time/distance set for a lap. Just depends on the workout....may be 2 minutes..may be 60 min. I never go beyond the first screen while racing. Really only concerned with power numbers. I don't typically wear a HR monitor while racing.

Mental training-I don't do anything specific. I consider some of the training sessions I try to do as pretty mentally challenging.....mostly because I struggle with them physically.  Also, I have raced a good bit over the last 2 seasons and I think that helps with the mental side of things. To some extent I see the mental side as being related to doing the training required to meet your goals. As Ryan mentioned previously that may be hitting certain milestones in training that establish that you are making progress toward your goals on raceday.  

2015-02-10 8:48 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Originally posted by marcag

These numbers are very high guidelines. They do require knowing your true CP. My belief is many people have poorly estimated their CP.

If you have an accurate CP and you have the training to back it, a NP of around 80% for 2.5 hours works for me. If you are more of a 3hr rider I would drop that closer to 75%.

Test rides at those paces allows you to have confidence you can run after them. When in doubt, go conservative. 10 watts less on the bike can be made up on the run. 10 watts too much on the bike, resulting in a walk cannot be recovered.

Regarding HIM bike effort, check out this link: http://www.paceandpower.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/EN-Power-Rac...

For my last HIM, my goal was about 3 hours or a touch above on the bike, and on the chart I looked at being in the middle of the green for that time goal, giving me a goal TSS of 179. Looking at the chart the goal IF was 0.76, and doing the various calculations, gave me a goal power of 148W. From memory, I had a beep on my Garmin at 160W so I didn't go too high.

My actual avg power was 138, but NP 158 (lots of hills) and an IF of 0.73. I felt this was on the conservative side, as last time I did this course I cramped hugely on the run, so I wanted to leave some in the tank. This allowed me to run a 2:02 half marathon with barely any walking (aid stations and up a hill - deliberately).

In my reading, I'd say 0.8 would be on the high side unless you are really fast or a strong biker.

And to those of you without power, THIS is one of the biggest benefits of a power meter. You absolutely cannot set a target pace/effort like this with HR alone, with such precision.

2015-02-11 6:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by slornow
Mental training-I don't do anything specific. I consider some of the training sessions I try to do as pretty mentally challenging.....mostly because I struggle with them physically.  Also, I have raced a good bit over the last 2 seasons and I think that helps with the mental side of things. To some extent I see the mental side as being related to doing the training required to meet your goals. As Ryan mentioned previously that may be hitting certain milestones in training that establish that you are making progress toward your goals on raceday.  

I agree with this train of thought.
I dabbled with the whole mental training thing but I soon realized:

one has to be honest with where they are, what their training has been and what are reasonable goals. There is nothing wrong with a stretch goal, achievable when all the stars align, but to think you will KQ with 5 hours per week of training because you have the mind for it is questionable.

I do believe some people talk themselves out of their potential. They do not have a good grasp of where they truly are in terms of their fitness. I do believe this is where a good coach can help.

I believe some people talk themselves into a meltdown. They over estimate their ability and pay for it 3/4 through the race. Again a person truly able to assess where they are can help. Some people are really bad at assessing themselves, good and bad.

If you know where you are and you put a good plan to execute based on where you are, you will probably have a great race.

It's interesting to see how much self doubt some of the greatest champions have. The thing I love most about Kienle is how honest he is about it.

We all have our quirks, I think knowing oneself and learning tricks to overcome some of the quirks is very helpful. For example Chrissie Wellington always said (paraphrasing) : don't look at the race as a whole, break it down into pieces, execute the piece in front of you according to plan and move on to the next one. When there is only one left, you can then dig deep into yourself and find the strength to pull out your best effort.

As for training, we should know what makes us tick and use this to drive and motvate ourselves.

Again, I think our biggest obstacle is our inability to properly assess ourselves. Part of it is we don't have the tools (technical) and the other part is we are not objective with ourselves.

Edited by marcag 2015-02-11 6:05 AM
2015-02-11 10:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by stuart_little_9

Regarding HIM bike effort, check out this link: http://www.paceandpower.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/EN-Power-Racing-Calculator.jpg

That is a great link.  Thank you for sharing. After reading up on normalized power, I will start paying attention to that more.  I was looking at my last ride.  It was supposed to be 1hour EZ recovery spin on the trainer.  However, I was on Zwift Island and was able to ride with a group that was matching my effort.  However, we sprinted for the green jersey on each lap.  Turns out my IF was .96.  Why so high?  Well, I looked at NP and it was 184!!  Avg PWR was 139.  My FTP is 191.  Surely I didn't ride that high that long.  This is the time broken down in power zones.

Z1 (0-106w)- 07:31

Z2 (107-145w)- 43:00

Z3 (146-173w)- 02:40

Z4 (174-202w)- 02:40

Z5 (203-231%)- 01:55

Z6 (232+w)- 02:56

So is it saying that I could have stayed at 184w if I was constant with out all those surges?  I was surging that long.

Edited by GAUG3 2015-02-11 10:21 AM
2015-02-11 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Regarding HIM bike effort, check out this link: http://www.paceandpower.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/EN-Power-Racing-Calculator.jpg

That is a great link.  Thank you for sharing. After reading up on normalized power, I will start paying attention to that more.  I was looking at my last ride.  It was supposed to be 1hour EZ recovery spin on the trainer.  However, I was on Zwift Island and was able to ride with a group that was matching my effort.  However, we sprinted for the green jersey on each lap.  Turns out my IF was .96.  Why so high?  Well, I looked at NP and it was 184!!  Avg PWR was 139.  My FTP is 191.  Surely I didn't ride that high that long.  This is the time broken down in power zones.

So is it saying that I could have stayed at 184w if I was constant with out all those surges?  I was surging that long.

Unfortunately not

Another interesting number is VI. It's NP/AP. On a flat course, evenly paced it's 1.0
In your case it 1.32, which is very high.

Once a VI starts going over, say, 1.1, the NP is probably a little over-inflated. When it's 1,32 it's very over inflated IME

Also remember that your AP is more of a proxy for your speed. NP is more of a proxy for cost of the effort. So if NP >> AP, you are paying more for what you are getting. This is one reason why you want a low VI in a race.

A very high NP is easy to get with very short intervals, 30-60se with recovery.
2015-02-11 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by slornow Mental training-I don't do anything specific. I consider some of the training sessions I try to do as pretty mentally challenging.....mostly because I struggle with them physically.  Also, I have raced a good bit over the last 2 seasons and I think that helps with the mental side of things. To some extent I see the mental side as being related to doing the training required to meet your goals. As Ryan mentioned previously that may be hitting certain milestones in training that establish that you are making progress toward your goals on raceday.  
I agree with this train of thought. I dabbled with the whole mental training thing but I soon realized: one has to be honest with where they are, what their training has been and what are reasonable goals. There is nothing wrong with a stretch goal, achievable when all the stars align, but to think you will KQ with 5 hours per week of training because you have the mind for it is questionable. I do believe some people talk themselves out of their potential. They do not have a good grasp of where they truly are in terms of their fitness. I do believe this is where a good coach can help. I believe some people talk themselves into a meltdown. They over estimate their ability and pay for it 3/4 through the race. Again a person truly able to assess where they are can help. Some people are really bad at assessing themselves, good and bad. If you know where you are and you put a good plan to execute based on where you are, you will probably have a great race. It's interesting to see how much self doubt some of the greatest champions have. The thing I love most about Kienle is how honest he is about it. We all have our quirks, I think knowing oneself and learning tricks to overcome some of the quirks is very helpful. For example Chrissie Wellington always said (paraphrasing) : don't look at the race as a whole, break it down into pieces, execute the piece in front of you according to plan and move on to the next one. When there is only one left, you can then dig deep into yourself and find the strength to pull out your best effort. As for training, we should know what makes us tick and use this to drive and motvate ourselves. Again, I think our biggest obstacle is our inability to properly assess ourselves. Part of it is we don't have the tools (technical) and the other part is we are not objective with ourselves.

I completely agree about being realistic with yourself.

My main mental training over the last year or so has been with moving from my mentality of 'just getting through it' to looking for improved performance. 

For a long time I've raced very conservatively just to make sure I get through it. I felt like I was able to push my performance this past year - at last year's HIM where I told myself not to hold anything back. I had to keep reminding myself that it was my goal race and I didn't need to save my legs.  It was the time to demolish them! 

I think a big part of preparedness is planning.  Knowing that you did all the work in training is very important.  There is definitely visualization and putting your mind into scenarios on how to deal.  What if it is hot? What if it is windy? It can be easy to bail when stuff you didn't think about happens.

I know it's not competitive but i've had several races where staying in my own effort and not getting caught up in the race really paid off in the end. So that means having a race strategy, knowing where you want to be for effort/pace/nutrition and sticking to it within a reasonable limit. And knowing when for you it is the right time to push for your goals. 

That said, I think i still have room to push my limits and work harder overall - i tend to be very conservative in my goals - though i think still realistic and then I am happy when I get them.   

2015-02-11 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia

Unfortunately not

Another interesting number is VI. It's NP/AP. On a flat course, evenly paced it's 1.0
In your case it 1.32, which is very high.

Once a VI starts going over, say, 1.1, the NP is probably a little over-inflated. When it's 1,32 it's very over inflated IME

Also remember that your AP is more of a proxy for your speed. NP is more of a proxy for cost of the effort. So if NP >> AP, you are paying more for what you are getting. This is one reason why you want a low VI in a race.

A very high NP is easy to get with very short intervals, 30-60se with recovery.

What a great explanation! In the books/websites it looks so complex, but you've made it very simple.

NP is the 'physiological cost', so it is saying that it would have been the same 'effort/difficulty' as you riding 184W, but is NOT saying that you could have.

Also, you should be careful with keeping to the goals of your session. Why were you doing an easy Z1 ride? For recovery (I hope, as there is no other reason. Even a long endurance ride should be z2). Then sprinting should be totally out of the question, it should be MAXIMUM top of z2.

I would put forth to the group that unless you are doing >3 hard sessions for any given sport that each of these sessions should be a quality session (either intensity, or long duration), and only any further rides/runs from there would be recovery. Anything less, then you are just wasting time that you could spend doing quality training (IMO). Exceptions would be recovery weeks or if you are feeling sick/run down.

2015-02-11 5:50 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by slornow Mental training-I don't do anything specific. I consider some of the training sessions I try to do as pretty mentally challenging.....mostly because I struggle with them physically.  Also, I have raced a good bit over the last 2 seasons and I think that helps with the mental side of things. To some extent I see the mental side as being related to doing the training required to meet your goals. As Ryan mentioned previously that may be hitting certain milestones in training that establish that you are making progress toward your goals on raceday.  
I agree with this train of thought. I dabbled with the whole mental training thing but I soon realized: one has to be honest with where they are, what their training has been and what are reasonable goals. There is nothing wrong with a stretch goal, achievable when all the stars align, but to think you will KQ with 5 hours per week of training because you have the mind for it is questionable. I do believe some people talk themselves out of their potential. They do not have a good grasp of where they truly are in terms of their fitness. I do believe this is where a good coach can help. I believe some people talk themselves into a meltdown. They over estimate their ability and pay for it 3/4 through the race. Again a person truly able to assess where they are can help. Some people are really bad at assessing themselves, good and bad. If you know where you are and you put a good plan to execute based on where you are, you will probably have a great race. It's interesting to see how much self doubt some of the greatest champions have. The thing I love most about Kienle is how honest he is about it. We all have our quirks, I think knowing oneself and learning tricks to overcome some of the quirks is very helpful. For example Chrissie Wellington always said (paraphrasing) : don't look at the race as a whole, break it down into pieces, execute the piece in front of you according to plan and move on to the next one. When there is only one left, you can then dig deep into yourself and find the strength to pull out your best effort. As for training, we should know what makes us tick and use this to drive and motvate ourselves. Again, I think our biggest obstacle is our inability to properly assess ourselves. Part of it is we don't have the tools (technical) and the other part is we are not objective with ourselves.

I completely agree about being realistic with yourself.

My main mental training over the last year or so has been with moving from my mentality of 'just getting through it' to looking for improved performance. 

For a long time I've raced very conservatively just to make sure I get through it. I felt like I was able to push my performance this past year - at last year's HIM where I told myself not to hold anything back. I had to keep reminding myself that it was my goal race and I didn't need to save my legs.  It was the time to demolish them! 

I think a big part of preparedness is planning.  Knowing that you did all the work in training is very important.  There is definitely visualization and putting your mind into scenarios on how to deal.  What if it is hot? What if it is windy? It can be easy to bail when stuff you didn't think about happens.

I know it's not competitive but i've had several races where staying in my own effort and not getting caught up in the race really paid off in the end. So that means having a race strategy, knowing where you want to be for effort/pace/nutrition and sticking to it within a reasonable limit. And knowing when for you it is the right time to push for your goals. 

That said, I think i still have room to push my limits and work harder overall - i tend to be very conservative in my goals - though i think still realistic and then I am happy when I get them.   

Interesting to see what everyone thinks about on the topic of mental training. Personally I think less about goal setting (I do this, but don't consider it mental training), but more about what to do when the going gets tough. How to stick out the session and push on, how to deal with being uncomfortable, etc.

There are usually 2 ways to go about this:
1) Associative thinking: acknowledging that you are in pain/suffering, but making it a positive situation: "I am in pain, but so is everyone else". "I'm in pain because I'm going fast, and I'm going to beat my goals", etc.
2) Disassociative: zoning out, letting your mind wander and think about other things to distract from the pain. I've heard of people doing mental maths, singing songs, etc.

I've got to say that I'd be more of category 2, however during really hard intervals, I definitely feel the pain more, and need to work more on keeping my thoughts positive rather than "OMG I"m going to die" type thoughts.

Then there is process thinking: how's my foot strike/pedal stroke? Am I aero? How's my cadence? Am I eating/drinking enough? Etc. Focusing on the effort at hand to ensure the best outcome. I think you will find that most pro's in any sport are very much in tune with their processes and staying focused on the task at hand.
2015-02-12 6:02 AM
in reply to: stuart_little_9

User image

Extreme Veteran

Interesting to see what everyone thinks about on the topic of mental training. Personally I think less about goal setting (I do this, but don't consider it mental training), but more about what to do when the going gets tough. How to stick out the session and push on, how to deal with being uncomfortable, etc.

There are usually 2 ways to go about this:
1) Associative thinking: acknowledging that you are in pain/suffering, but making it a positive situation: "I am in pain, but so is everyone else". "I'm in pain because I'm going fast, and I'm going to beat my goals", etc.
2) Disassociative: zoning out, letting your mind wander and think about other things to distract from the pain. I've heard of people doing mental maths, singing songs, etc.

I've got to say that I'd be more of category 2, however during really hard intervals, I definitely feel the pain more, and need to work more on keeping my thoughts positive rather than "OMG I"m going to die" type thoughts.

Then there is process thinking: how's my foot strike/pedal stroke? Am I aero? How's my cadence? Am I eating/drinking enough? Etc. Focusing on the effort at hand to ensure the best outcome. I think you will find that most pro's in any sport are very much in tune with their processes and staying focused on the task at hand.

When an AGer is racing, they are in fact "managing" the race. They are trying to dose "enough" against "too little" or "too much". It's really easy to go with the "too little" because it doesn't hurt as much.

Pros or eve FOPers don't have this luxury. For them it's keep up or drop the other, whatever the cost. They basically do what they have to do and when they blow up, they blow up.

IMO doing this actually takes away from the mental pain. Chasing someone provides a distraction from the pain. You see it when you ride on Zwift. Competition drives you to ride faster. There were studies that people produced more watts on their FTP when someone was standing next to them. You always put out your biggest watts riding with the group one notch better than you.

My best races have always been when I was chasing someone rather than managing my own race. In 2012 at 70.3 Muskoka I came off the bike, and there was only 1 bike on the rack so I thought there was only 1 guy ahead of me. At one point I started chasing him and I was accelerating and accelerating. I just wanted to catch him. It turned out to be probably my best run ever, far better than if I had "managed" my run.

Managing pain without a rabbit to chase is really hard. So you need to chase something. I chase TSS points, a swim interval, run efficiency, good speed/watts....just managing the pain is....painful.
2015-02-12 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I noticed that ever since I started uploading workouts by pointing Beginner Triathlete to Training Peaks, it is not showing my splits data.  I have a 910 that I used for everything.  I usually uploaded the history file from my computer.  But now that I have Edge 510 for bike only, I've just been pulling from TP into BT.  TP pulls from Garmin.  Too many places to store workouts.

2015-02-12 3:13 PM
in reply to: stuart_little_9

User image

Extreme Veteran
2015-02-13 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by stuart_little_9 Interesting to see what everyone thinks about on the topic of mental training. Personally I think less about goal setting (I do this, but don't consider it mental training), but more about what to do when the going gets tough. How to stick out the session and push on, how to deal with being uncomfortable, etc. There are usually 2 ways to go about this: 1) Associative thinking: acknowledging that you are in pain/suffering, but making it a positive situation: "I am in pain, but so is everyone else". "I'm in pain because I'm going fast, and I'm going to beat my goals", etc. 2) Disassociative: zoning out, letting your mind wander and think about other things to distract from the pain. I've heard of people doing mental maths, singing songs, etc. I've got to say that I'd be more of category 2, however during really hard intervals, I definitely feel the pain more, and need to work more on keeping my thoughts positive rather than "OMG I"m going to die" type thoughts. Then there is process thinking: how's my foot strike/pedal stroke? Am I aero? How's my cadence? Am I eating/drinking enough? Etc. Focusing on the effort at hand to ensure the best outcome. I think you will find that most pro's in any sport are very much in tune with their processes and staying focused on the task at hand.
When an AGer is racing, they are in fact "managing" the race. They are trying to dose "enough" against "too little" or "too much". It's really easy to go with the "too little" because it doesn't hurt as much. Pros or eve FOPers don't have this luxury. For them it's keep up or drop the other, whatever the cost. They basically do what they have to do and when they blow up, they blow up. IMO doing this actually takes away from the mental pain. Chasing someone provides a distraction from the pain. You see it when you ride on Zwift. Competition drives you to ride faster. There were studies that people produced more watts on their FTP when someone was standing next to them. You always put out your biggest watts riding with the group one notch better than you. My best races have always been when I was chasing someone rather than managing my own race. In 2012 at 70.3 Muskoka I came off the bike, and there was only 1 bike on the rack so I thought there was only 1 guy ahead of me. At one point I started chasing him and I was accelerating and accelerating. I just wanted to catch him. It turned out to be probably my best run ever, far better than if I had "managed" my run. Managing pain without a rabbit to chase is really hard. So you need to chase something. I chase TSS points, a swim interval, run efficiency, good speed/watts....just managing the pain is....painful.

Yes, i agree on the pain points. It's tough to figure when/how to move into that chase zone.  Honestly, for a long time my swim was so weak that it was difficult to even begin to contemplate chasing people down. I rarely saw people in my AG so i only really that person 200 m in front of me so i'll try to pass them.  I am more in a position to actually see people in my AG now - ha! - but in tri I only really had myself to worry about for the first years ...

I had a similar experience at my last tri in August i did that on the bike. I leapfrogged this one girl through the whole bike course  and she beat me into transition. I spent so much time looking at her race bib that i memorized and i wanted to beat her so bad. I know i have a fairly strong run so I blazed out of there and that competitive drive led me to a faster run split than i had planned and might not have done had i not had 'road bike girl' to beat.  (I ended up being 10 mins ahead of her - whether it was me being strong on the run or her being relatively weak, is not really important)

But it really goes to your main point about knowing yourself and being realistic.  You can push harder on the bike to get ahead when you know you have strong run.  Or you know that you can't really beat someone at X pace but maybe that drive to get around them will get you a better time.  So you get around them and then settle back into your own pace/HR/etc. But it's not realistic to race someone in the first km of the run at pace you know you can't hold for the duration.  

2015-02-13 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi everyone, 

Happy Friday!!

I am feeling much better but I still have quite a bit of soreness in my lat.  I really jammed something up.  Anyway, i've done a little bit of training to start to pick it up but the frigid temperatures are sucking away my motivation! Last night, between a few obligations, the soreness in my ribs, and the bone-chilling temps outside i bailed on swimming. 

My hubby is leaving today for a ski weekend in Quebec so its me and the little one. I'll get done what I can - we're going to visit my parents and i've asked my mom to get me a guest pass for her gym so i can run inside. I REALLY don't want to run in -17C on Sunday- call me wimpy but I just can't see myself doing it - i know i've done it before but this weekend, for some reason, i just can't make myself. 

I'll definitely climb on my trainer (tonight, hopefully) and get some green back on my chat.

HIM training starts on the 23rd. Time to get my head really in the game!! 

2015-02-13 4:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hi everyone, 

Happy Friday!!

I am feeling much better but I still have quite a bit of soreness in my lat.  I really jammed something up.  Anyway, i've done a little bit of training to start to pick it up but the frigid temperatures are sucking away my motivation! Last night, between a few obligations, the soreness in my ribs, and the bone-chilling temps outside i bailed on swimming. 

My hubby is leaving today for a ski weekend in Quebec so its me and the little one. I'll get done what I can - we're going to visit my parents and i've asked my mom to get me a guest pass for her gym so i can run inside. I REALLY don't want to run in -17C on Sunday- call me wimpy but I just can't see myself doing it - i know i've done it before but this weekend, for some reason, i just can't make myself. 

I'll definitely climb on my trainer (tonight, hopefully) and get some green back on my chat.

HIM training starts on the 23rd. Time to get my head really in the game!! 

Glad you are filling better!  Which HIM?

2015-02-13 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Hey all - been up at a conference for work which has been long days and nights. I was able to get my training in although had to succumb to a treadmill. Will try to catch up with everyone over the weekend here.
2015-02-15 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Guess it was my turn to get sick. Head and chest cold put a stop to all my workouts this weekend. Going to swim easy tomorrow and hopefully get back to normal by Wednesday. Starting to feel much better today. Probably not a bad weekend to have off since it was a blizzard and -20 wind chills.How did everybody's weekend go training wise?
2015-02-16 8:53 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Ryan Mac Guess it was my turn to get sick. Head and chest cold put a stop to all my workouts this weekend. Going to swim easy tomorrow and hopefully get back to normal by Wednesday. Starting to feel much better today. Probably not a bad weekend to have off since it was a blizzard and -20 wind chills.How did everybody's weekend go training wise?

I'm there with you. Started with a cough and chest congestion on Thursday so took Friday, Sat and Sunday off from training. Hoping to try a couple of short easy workouts today to see how it goes. Definitely feeling better but going to keep it pretty easy.

2015-02-16 9:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Ryan Mac Guess it was my turn to get sick. Head and chest cold put a stop to all my workouts this weekend. Going to swim easy tomorrow and hopefully get back to normal by Wednesday. Starting to feel much better today. Probably not a bad weekend to have off since it was a blizzard and -20 wind chills.How did everybody's weekend go training wise?

3h 45m on the trainer Saturday.  2h run yesterday.  Recovery week!!!  Then I start a 12 week build\peak plan.

2015-02-16 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

3h 45m on the trainer Saturday.  2h run yesterday.  Recovery week!!!  Then I start a 12 week build\peak plan.

Nice work this weekend.  How did you pass the time on the trainer?  Was it just a steady ride or intervals mixed in?  I think my longest ride was 2:30-3:00 on the trainer.

2015-02-16 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Ryan Mac

Nice work this weekend.  How did you pass the time on the trainer?  Was it just a steady ride or intervals mixed in?  I think my longest ride was 2:30-3:00 on the trainer.

I did it on Zwift with other riders.  They were offering a metric and imperial century virtual jersey for those that complete the challenge.  I busted it up with 2x1hour and 1x:30min upper\mid Z2 HR.  Zwift makes it fun.

2015-02-16 1:49 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by slornow

I'm there with you. Started with a cough and chest congestion on Thursday so took Friday, Sat and Sunday off from training. Hoping to try a couple of short easy workouts today to see how it goes. Definitely feeling better but going to keep it pretty easy.

Oh no! feel better!! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 26

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29210 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46352 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54464 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 0
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.