BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2015-01-16 12:50 PM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED

Swam at lunch. Later today some strength/core work then 40 min easy run.

Tomorrow should be interesting on the bike. Main set will be 3X3 min TT on full rest.  I know this will be painful. I'll finish the first one and almost fall off the bike....then I will still have 2 more to do. Should be interesting as I have no specific power number in mind other than estimates from recent workouts.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. 

2015-01-16 1:37 PM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Ryan Mac

What does everybody have on the agenda today?

I am swimming at lunch, main set is 15x100 @1:45SI and then an easy 8 mile run later this afternoon or tonight.

Yesterday I missed my planned run due to being home again with my son but played hockey later that evening, so got something in.

2800m swim this morning and a treadmill session planned a little later. To icy to do any speed work.
2015-01-16 1:39 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by slornow
Main set will be 3X3 min TT on full rest.  I know this will be painful. I'll finish the first one and almost fall off the bike....then I will still have 2 more to do.

Is that 3' all out, then rest, 3' all out.....? If so, how much rest ?
2015-01-16 2:12 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

NH
Originally posted by juniperjen

She suggested that I do an underwater video session to see what's going on under the water.  Anyone have this done? 

I hadn't really given it much thought - primarily because i find it difficult to take in all the information even in regular setting and use it meaningfully. It can feel like a hundred things to do at once. I've always felt like i had enough room for improvement with what could be seen. Not to be hard on myself but i think i have been improving (and I do feel good about it) but i do think my coach might be a little frustrated with not having me improve more (move up lanes - like other people have) and wondering what to do.  

Absolutely do the video if you can. It's amazing how different what you THINK you're doing and what you actually ARE doing can be. I did a video lesson and it immediately took me from a really slow swimmer to a really average swimmer. I haven't historically done much swim training (I'd be embarrassed to actually admit how little), but with a video and a coach to get any major form flaws corrected it's amazing how much faster you can be, without any more effort. I'm sure we've all heard it, but swimming is almost all form until you're under about 1:45/100 for a 1000 yd pace.

I definitely agree on the 100 thing at once. It's a little like a golf swing. You can really only effectively work on one or two things at a time, so have them pick out any major stroke issues and just start ticking away at them.
2015-01-16 2:14 PM

User image

NH
I did a run at lunch, 36 minutes with a 9/1 run/walk. All my running will be just go easy for a while, and the surgeon said nothing outside if it's icy for about another 6-8 weeks, so I'm stuck on the treadmill for the foreseeable future.

I also have some core and shoulder stability rehab type exercises I do every day, so that's on tap for this evening.
2015-01-16 2:16 PM

User image

NH

Tomorrow should be interesting on the bike. Main set will be 3X3 min TT on full rest.  I know this will be painful. I'll finish the first one and almost fall off the bike....then I will still have 2 more to do. Should be interesting as I have no specific power number in mind other than estimates from recent workouts.

That sounds like a brutal bike set. From your previous posts it sounds like you may need a new FTP test, as awful as that can be. I am going to try to redo my 20 minute test Monday, this time with a new battery in the power meter!

2015-01-16 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Owwwweeee!!  Let us know how that goes Randy .

2015-01-16 6:45 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by slornow Main set will be 3X3 min TT on full rest.  I know this will be painful. I'll finish the first one and almost fall off the bike....then I will still have 2 more to do.

Is that 3' all out, then rest, 3' all out.....? If so, how much rest ?

Instruction is to treat each like a TT......OK to blow up but push through to the end. As much rest as needed so no specific rest interval. This is a very unusual workout for me and the first time I have ever had more than one TT type of interval in a workout.  It will be hard not to temper the first effort knowing that there are two more to do.

2015-01-16 10:32 PM
in reply to: #5076763

User image

I'm back amongst the living! Yeah!!
Question: my training plan for HIM New Orleans 4/19/15 was supposed to start the day I got sick. I'm supposed to be almost 2 weeks into the plan with only 3 workouts done. I am a gold member here and using a "custom" plan built with the software here. I can make a new plan that starts now if I want. Would it be better to do that or just continue with what I have now? My concern is that I have 1 more week of hard training and then a rest week. Will I be able to catch up?
2015-01-17 5:30 AM
in reply to: swimdean

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Originally posted by swimdean

I'm back amongst the living! Yeah!!
Question: my training plan for HIM New Orleans 4/19/15 was supposed to start the day I got sick. I'm supposed to be almost 2 weeks into the plan with only 3 workouts done. I am a gold member here and using a "custom" plan built with the software here. I can make a new plan that starts now if I want. Would it be better to do that or just continue with what I have now? My concern is that I have 1 more week of hard training and then a rest week. Will I be able to catch up?

You really should readjust (i.e. start again). Given you are only just on the mend, you still probably have another week before you are back to 100%. I'd recommend taking it super easy as you get back into it, even for 2 weeks perhaps. Go for shorter, easier workouts, but consistently, see how you feel, then go from there. Too easy to dig yourself back into a hole if you go too hard too soon.

Yes, this may mean you have to cut some training out, but think of your health first. It may be that you go for a 2 week on, 1 week recovery type cycle, rather than the traditional 3/1 that most people (to my knowledge) tend to use.
2015-01-17 6:43 AM
in reply to: #5084326

User image

Extreme Veteran
Swim dean. I would start over again. It would do my brain better knowing I'm starting fresh than missing a few weeks of the plan. Still take it easy.

I check my pulse every morning. It jumps about 10 beats when I start getting sick even though I feel fine. I know to back off or else WHAM!

2015-01-17 7:39 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GAUG3

Swim dean. I would start over again. It would do my brain better knowing I'm starting fresh than missing a few weeks of the plan. Still take it easy.

I check my pulse every morning. It jumps about 10 beats when I start getting sick even though I feel fine. I know to back off or else WHAM!

I'm with the 'start a fresh plan' since you haven't really started.

Another tool to look at is a program called iThlete that measures heart rate variability (HRV). It's probably a more accurate measure of fatigue than resting heart rate. Do not fall slave to it, but it is worth investigating.

2015-01-17 10:26 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by GAUG3 Swim dean. I would start over again. It would do my brain better knowing I'm starting fresh than missing a few weeks of the plan. Still take it easy. I check my pulse every morning. It jumps about 10 beats when I start getting sick even though I feel fine. I know to back off or else WHAM!
I'm with the 'start a fresh plan' since you haven't really started. Another tool to look at is a program called iThlete that measures heart rate variability (HRV). It's probably a more accurate measure of fatigue than resting heart rate. Do not fall slave to it, but it is worth investigating.

Marca-I looked at the website http://myithlete.com/  Have you tried this. Looks interesting.

2015-01-17 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by GAUG3 Swim dean. I would start over again. It would do my brain better knowing I'm starting fresh than missing a few weeks of the plan. Still take it easy. I check my pulse every morning. It jumps about 10 beats when I start getting sick even though I feel fine. I know to back off or else WHAM!
I'm with the 'start a fresh plan' since you haven't really started. Another tool to look at is a program called iThlete that measures heart rate variability (HRV). It's probably a more accurate measure of fatigue than resting heart rate. Do not fall slave to it, but it is worth investigating.

Marca-I looked at the website http://myithlete.com/  Have you tried this. Looks interesting.

Yes. I have been using it since June, but lost about 3months of data when my iPhone crashed and needed a factory reset.

It definitely detects fatigue in me. I can also see a bad HRV score with a quick drop in TSB over 5 days or so. I also find that my swims are most affected by poor HRV scores.

2015-01-17 11:58 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Yes. I have been using it since June, but lost about 3months of data when my iPhone crashed and needed a factory reset. It definitely detects fatigue in me. I can also see a bad HRV score with a quick drop in TSB over 5 days or so. I also find that my swims are most affected by poor HRV scores.

Thanks. I may give this a try. I don't feel overtrained. Been getting good rest, volume has not increased a ton. But, have been building up my run mileage over the last month. Bike and swim have been "off" for the last two weeks. Wonder if the gradual run build is having a negative effect on my swim and bike.   

2015-01-17 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yes. I have been using it since June, but lost about 3months of data when my iPhone crashed and needed a factory reset. It definitely detects fatigue in me. I can also see a bad HRV score with a quick drop in TSB over 5 days or so. I also find that my swims are most affected by poor HRV scores.

Thanks. I may give this a try. I don't feel overtrained. Been getting good rest, volume has not increased a ton. But, have been building up my run mileage over the last month. Bike and swim have been "off" for the last two weeks. Wonder if the gradual run build is having a negative effect on my swim and bike.   

The only downside is you need a Bluetooth HR strap or their bluetooth HR sensor to connect with an iPhone.
They also suggest establishing a baseline when you aren't already "in the hole" from a fatigue point of view.

2015-01-17 12:30 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

The only downside is you need a Bluetooth HR strap or their bluetooth HR sensor to connect with an iPhone. They also suggest establishing a baseline when you aren't already "in the hole" from a fatigue point of view.

Saw that. I ordered the finger sensor since my HR strap is Garmin and the device/app is not Ant+ compatible. 10-12 days to get it from UK. I'll take it easy for a few days when I get it to try to establish an accurate baseline.

Do you find that the data is pretty consistent with how you feel? I currently enter all training/racing data into Raceday training software. It calculates TSS of swim, bike and run. Also, has a graph with positive and negative training stress. Hoping the ithlete device will be a little more nuanced and encourage me to back off when needed. Thanks for the help!

2015-01-17 12:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
DP

Edited by marcag 2015-01-17 12:50 PM
2015-01-17 12:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

The only downside is you need a Bluetooth HR strap or their bluetooth HR sensor to connect with an iPhone. They also suggest establishing a baseline when you aren't already "in the hole" from a fatigue point of view.

Saw that. I ordered the finger sensor since my HR strap is Garmin and the device/app is not Ant+ compatible. 10-12 days to get it from UK. I'll take it easy for a few days when I get it to try to establish an accurate baseline.

Do you find that the data is pretty consistent with how you feel? I currently enter all training/racing data into Raceday training software. It calculates TSS of swim, bike and run. Also, has a graph with positive and negative training stress. Hoping the ithlete device will be a little more nuanced and encourage me to back off when needed. Thanks for the help!

I am pretty bad at reading my body. However, after two HIMs it had properly detected that I was pretty depleted. Another time it told me to back off, and I was unable to hit my bike targets. A couple of other times, I had bad swims on "Amber" days. I have never done "well" on Amber days, so there is something there.

I did notice this. The test makes you breath in and breath out and it takes your HR during these long inhales/exhales. The time between heartbeats is what determines if your nervous response system is compromised. I now can feel the difference during the test when I am going to ht a low score. My breathing isn't as smooth. I also noticed more of a struggle breathing during swims when I am in this "tired" state.

The danger is to let it drive you. I intentionally stay away from really hard workouts when I am in red or amber state. But I am "Green", probably 98% of the time. I do not take days off when Amber, just back off a little and the next day I am fine. I never take days off. I just go a bit easier.

If your TSB is low (which Raceday can tell you), and you are Amber in this test, be aware of it but again, don't let it drive you.

I know a pro (a pretty good one) that was experimenting with it as well and seemed to believe there was something to it.

I plotted my CTL/ATL and TSB against my HRV scores and the only pattern I could find was I became amber during sudden drops in TSB.

I will look for a podcast where they interview the creator. It's pretty interesting.

It also went red when I was seriously hung over. But I didn't need an app to tell me I felt like crap :-)

FYI, the 4iiii Viiiva strap works well with it. Being a Ant+/BT gateway it also works with all your Garmin stuff and allows your Ant+ to talk to BT devices. Very cool.

Edited by marcag 2015-01-17 12:53 PM
2015-01-17 2:29 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Got a 10 mile run in this morning outside in the frozen tundra. 7:42 pace overall

trainer tonight and tomorrow,

Work got in the way of my workouts wed-Fri.
2015-01-17 2:55 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane

I am pretty bad at reading my body. However, after two HIMs it had properly detected that I was pretty depleted. Another time it told me to back off, and I was unable to hit my bike targets. A couple of other times, I had bad swims on "Amber" days. I have never done "well" on Amber days, so there is something there.

I did notice this. The test makes you breath in and breath out and it takes your HR during these long inhales/exhales. The time between heartbeats is what determines if your nervous response system is compromised. I now can feel the difference during the test when I am going to ht a low score. My breathing isn't as smooth. I also noticed more of a struggle breathing during swims when I am in this "tired" state.

The danger is to let it drive you. I intentionally stay away from really hard workouts when I am in red or amber state. But I am "Green", probably 98% of the time. I do not take days off when Amber, just back off a little and the next day I am fine. I never take days off. I just go a bit easier.

If your TSB is low (which Raceday can tell you), and you are Amber in this test, be aware of it but again, don't let it drive you.

I know a pro (a pretty good one) that was experimenting with it as well and seemed to believe there was something to it.

I plotted my CTL/ATL and TSB against my HRV scores and the only pattern I could find was I became amber during sudden drops in TSB.

I will look for a podcast where they interview the creator. It's pretty interesting.

It also went red when I was seriously hung over. But I didn't need an app to tell me I felt like crap :-)

FYI, the 4iiii Viiiva strap works well with it. Being a Ant+/BT gateway it also works with all your Garmin stuff and allows your Ant+ to talk to BT devices. Very cool.

Interesting stuff. So how do you plan your workouts? If the unit shows you should back off but you have, say a 1.5 hour run planned that probably would have a high physiological cost, how do you approach that workout? Do you decrease intensity / duration or both?

Jim

2015-01-17 3:10 PM
in reply to: littlewj

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by littlewj

Interesting stuff. So how do you plan your workouts? If the unit shows you should back off but you have, say a 1.5 hour run planned that probably would have a high physiological cost, how do you approach that workout? Do you decrease intensity / duration or both?

Jim

If I believe it is real fatigue, I would defer the harder workout and bring in easier workouts. Probably an easy run and/or an aerobic bike, I would not modify a key workout but rather re-schedule it
2015-01-17 5:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Slightly off topic but how long have you had the 4iiii heart rate monitor and what's your experience been with it?  It looks similar to Garmin's soft strap, which I've killed multiple of.  I take it into the shower and rinse it off after every sweaty workout (so pretty much every time I use it!), but still managed to kill them within about six months.  

I've recently (in the last year) changed to Garmin's hard strap, which worked flawlessly for me for a while....until just recently when it decided to start chafing my chest and now does it basically every time I run with it.  I haven't run with it in a while now as I was sick of cursing like a sailor in the shower after it happened!

Anyways, just curious about longevity, robustness, and chafing of the 4iiii strap as I'd consider it and look into myithlete as well, as it sounds intriguing. 

2015-01-17 6:20 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Regular
Spokane
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Slightly off topic but how long have you had the 4iiii heart rate monitor and what's your experience been with it?  It looks similar to Garmin's soft strap, which I've killed multiple of.  I take it into the shower and rinse it off after every sweaty workout (so pretty much every time I use it!), but still managed to kill them within about six months.  

I've recently (in the last year) changed to Garmin's hard strap, which worked flawlessly for me for a while....until just recently when it decided to start chafing my chest and now does it basically every time I run with it.  I haven't run with it in a while now as I was sick of cursing like a sailor in the shower after it happened!

Anyways, just curious about longevity, robustness, and chafing of the 4iiii strap as I'd consider it and look into myithlete as well, as it sounds intriguing. 

To add to this, would the ithlete app work with a wrist worn optical heart rate monitor like the Mio Velo?

2015-01-17 9:02 PM
in reply to: #5076763

User image

Thanks everyone! I'll be starting a new plan on Monday.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 26

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29101 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46196 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54261 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 0
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.