BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2015-01-23 6:03 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: RE: Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by juniperjen

Hi everyone! Happy Friday!

Battled the 'I don't wanna' demons and went out for a lunch run. Loved the sunshine.  The wind notsomuch.  It was just a chilly run.  I haven't used my HRM in ages so i strapped it on to see if I could run by HR.  I'll need to test my zones but if it stays where they are i'll have trouble staying Z2. 

What is everyone else up to for the weekend?

Jen 

I have been leaning heavily on my HR monitor this winter for running. It has worked really well for me since running by pace in the winter is not very practical most of the time. My HR has been very reliable and correlating very well with my RPE.

2015-01-23 6:08 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I don't doubt that it was an off day -- but I don't know why that was.  I did a 5k Turkey Trot in November that I chalked up to an off day.  But honestly, not every day can be an off day, so I don't know if I'm doing something to sabotage myself or if they aren't actually off days and that's just where I am....

The disappointing thing was to focus all my efforts on running (dropping the bike and swim completely for the last two months) only to come out five minutes slower than where I was in October....for a race I hadn't put that much training into and didn't taper for.  

I was following a plan that I put together myself.  I pulled from other plans to put it together as I wasn't finding other plans that looked like what I needed (says the girl who doesn't know much about running....heh).  I wanted to be running 6-7 days a week with one long run, one tempo run, and one run with 5k - 10k interval work.  Unfortunately, I got sick at the end of November that stopped me in my tracks for 11 days, which ended up being well over two weeks to get back to a point where running felt reasonable again.  So the plan got derailed as I tried to get back to where I left off.  So I certainly acknowledge that my training leading up to the race was not ideal and ended up not actually following the plan for the last six or so weeks.

I think if you go back and read this post Nicole it will tell you a lot. Do not get down on yourself about the race. Learn from it and continue to move forward with your training. I have said before you know how to execute a 70.3 run extremely well and I think your run focus will pay off for you down the road.
2015-01-24 2:02 PM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Master
South Alabama

Saturday bike workout done. 2 hours on the trainer with about 1:15 at HIM watts or above through a mix of different intervals. Short run later. Tomorrow is longish run and swim.  I always like to swim before doing any other workout as run and bike seem to hurt my swim. Unfortunately, the pool doesn't open until Noon on Sundays. Would rather get the run done early so hard to decide what to do......not exactly a crisis  

2015-01-24 2:37 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by slornow

Saturday bike workout done. 2 hours on the trainer with about 1:15 at HIM watts or above through a mix of different intervals. Short run later. Tomorrow is longish run and swim.  I always like to swim before doing any other workout as run and bike seem to hurt my swim. Unfortunately, the pool doesn't open until Noon on Sundays. Would rather get the run done early so hard to decide what to do......not exactly a crisis  

1hr trheshold intervals and 30min run.

HRV was really bad this AM, I ignored it and I struggled on the bike. So for the run stayed Z1 HR.

I am interested to see what a good night's sleep does.
2015-01-24 3:42 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Easy 40' run this morning followed by stage 1 of the Tour of Sufferlandria. My bike fitness is laughable at the moment, but hoping this ToS craziness will jump start the bike training.
2015-01-24 4:29 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well this sucks.  I feel better.  Still coughing a little trying to get this rattle out of my chest.  So I went on a little 30 minute jog on the treadmill yesterday.  Felt good.  Went grocery shopping with the wife and bent over to pick something up and coughed.  Pulled my lower back.  Now I'm laid up missing out on a 2 hour ride and 1 hour run this weekend.  This week has been hell.  Oh well.

2015-01-24 5:48 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by GAUG3

Well this sucks.  I feel better.  Still coughing a little trying to get this rattle out of my chest.  So I went on a little 30 minute jog on the treadmill yesterday.  Felt good.  Went grocery shopping with the wife and bent over to pick something up and coughed.  Pulled my lower back.  Now I'm laid up missing out on a 2 hour ride and 1 hour run this weekend.  This week has been hell.  Oh well.

Geez...that does suck. Hang in there.

2015-01-25 12:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Spokane
I'm starting to feel normal again. Pretty excited. I took most of this week off. Got in a couple of short runs and a swim so far for the weekend. It's suppose to get about 50 degrees so I may end up outside on the bike for an hour long light spin.

Hang in there GAUG3! You'll be back before you know it.

Jim

Edited by littlewj 2015-01-25 5:24 PM
2015-01-25 1:02 PM
in reply to: littlewj

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I am jealous of those with warm weather! We got up to the freezing mark yesterday and then snapped cold again last night. Brrrr.

Thinking about heading out for a run right now ... i just need to suck it up

I did a bike this morning - did some intervals and felt good overall 

2015-01-25 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am jealous of those with warm weather! We got up to the freezing mark yesterday and then snapped cold again last night. Brrrr.

Thinking about heading out for a run right now ... i just need to suck it up

I did a bike this morning - did some intervals and felt good overall 

it was cold it Ottawa this AM. -25c with the wind chill.

15km run with slick surfaces. Yuk!
2015-01-25 5:47 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

I can't imagine running in those cold temps. It was 50F degrees here this morning and sunny......much nicer. Got my swim done and some chores around the house. Bad thing is that the weekend is over. 

2015-01-25 6:42 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane
Question for everyone:

I'm using a Suunto Ambit 2S. LOVE the watch. HATE the Movescount website as well as the Moveslink download software. It seems I have synchronizing issues several times a month. I just spent an hour trying to get it to work.
As far as workout logging, I've been using Trainingpeaks. This involves exporting every single workout from Movescount to Trainingpeaks. This can be tedious to say the least.

Do you guys know of any other workout tracking programs that would be compatible with Suunto devices? Maybe I need to switch to a Garmin watch?

FYI: Other than using Golden Cheatah for in-depth reviewing of my biking power, I don't do a whole lot of analysis of my swim & run workouts other than looking at my weekly and monthly volumes.

Jim
2015-01-25 7:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by littlewj

Question for everyone:

I'm using a Suunto Ambit 2S. LOVE the watch. HATE the Movescount website as well as the Moveslink download software. It seems I have synchronizing issues several times a month. I just spent an hour trying to get it to work.
As far as workout logging, I've been using Trainingpeaks. This involves exporting every single workout from Movescount to Trainingpeaks. This can be tedious to say the least.

Do you guys know of any other workout tracking programs that would be compatible with Suunto devices? Maybe I need to switch to a Garmin watch?

FYI: Other than using Golden Cheatah for in-depth reviewing of my biking power, I don't do a whole lot of analysis of my swim & run workouts other than looking at my weekly and monthly volumes.

Jim

Not sure how easy the transfer to Golden Cheetah is, but GC will have run and swim metrics very soon. I have been testing the run portion for the last 2 months and I think they are almost there. Swim I haven't tried, but the guy doing it is a smart cookie and I suspect he will get it right.

GC to TP and back is really easy.

Edited by marcag 2015-01-25 7:09 PM
2015-01-26 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I am dragging big time today.  Ran 11 yesterday and then had a late hockey game last night. 

I really need to start paying better attention to recovery, sleep and eating now that things have ramped back up again.  I hit 39 miles running last week and scheduled for 42 this week.

I think I found some shoes that I like, Adidas Response Boost, after trying on quite a few.  They are 9 oz and extremely cushioned.  Also tried Nike Free and Lunarglide, Saucony Mirage, NB 980 and Pearl Izumi N2.

Glad to see people are starting to get over the nagging sicknesses. 

2500 swim today at lunch.

2015-01-26 11:21 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi all,

Ryan, that's good news on the shoes! I think i am similar on the recovery issue. I need to take a little more care now with more family responsibility - have to figure it out in terms of nutrition, rest and stretching/compression, etc.  I tried Hammer Recoverite yesterday and did not like it ... i could do it but i would rather take in something I actually like! 

For me, i have swimming on the plan but my husband just messaged me that he was heading home sick so that may be scrapped. I can go tomorrow to a further location.  We'll see what happens. 

2015-01-26 12:55 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Swim at lunch-did something I have not done in a long time. Swam a mile straight in the pool. Workout called for MS: 4X400 on 7:00. Since it was a pretty easy day I thought it would be good to stretch it into a long interval just to remind myself of the mental side of long swims. Felt really good and kept it super easy finishing @1:40/100. Not very exciting but something different.

Strength and a short easy run this evening.

My order came in from iathlete with the finger HR sensor. Going to try to get that up and going later today. 

2015-01-26 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Swim at lunch-did something I have not done in a long time. Swam a mile straight in the pool. Workout called for MS: 4X400 on 7:00. Since it was a pretty easy day I thought it would be good to stretch it into a long interval just to remind myself of the mental side of long swims. Felt really good and kept it super easy finishing @1:40/100. Not very exciting but something different.

My order came in from iathlete with the finger HR sensor. Going to try to get that up and going later today. 

My coach had me doing 1650 TT on a monthly basis during my swim build last year.  I also worked up to 3x800 leaving at 12:00 which was essentially a TT.  It was pretty brutal to look at on the schedule but I think it provided a stimulus similar to what you get from racing.  Being comfortable in an uncomfortable situation and dealing with it.  I think it made me a better racer as well.

2015-01-26 2:37 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Ryan Mac

My coach had me doing 1650 TT on a monthly basis during my swim build last year.  I also worked up to 3x800 leaving at 12:00 which was essentially a TT.  It was pretty brutal to look at on the schedule but I think it provided a stimulus similar to what you get from racing.  Being comfortable in an uncomfortable situation and dealing with it.  I think it made me a better racer as well.

This was definitely not a TT type of effort. It was a relatively easy swim day and I just rocked along at an easy pace. Longer TT efforts every once in awhile certainly help replicate a race effort.

Tried to download the myithlete app on my iphone but my phone is so old I don't have enough storage to update the software and download the app. Crap....maybe I'm due a new phone. Looks like it has to be downloaded on an iphone, tablet or android device rather than a laptop.

2015-01-26 5:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Ryan Mac

This was definitely not a TT type of effort. It was a relatively easy swim day and I just rocked along at an easy pace. Longer TT efforts every once in awhile certainly help replicate a race effort.

Tried to download the myithlete app on my iphone but my phone is so old I don't have enough storage to update the software and download the app. Crap....maybe I'm due a new phone. Looks like it has to be downloaded on an iphone, tablet or android device rather than a laptop.

Easy swim and easy run for me.
Back to business tomorrow :-) I need to swim more.
2015-01-27 9:55 AM

User image

NH
Hopefully back on the wagon today. Feeling a lot better. I'll try a few short intervals on the bike. Maybe start running later this week.

Can't wait to really get going again. This start and stop has been very frustrating.
2015-01-27 11:14 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Good deal Warren.I am feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment with my training schedule for this week, sick kids and out of town this weekend. Not to mention some work stress. All the joys of being a responsible adult I guess .Supposed to run 1hr with intervals to threshold and 1 hr ride but who knows if I will get to that ride at this point.

2015-01-27 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

We're like dominoes here - i am not feeling great - sore throat, cough and sore neck! Tylenol and cough syrup make me functional - so i can work at home and not take a sick day but i think i'll hold back on any hard workouts.

I keep thinking about joining the Y that is two blocks from my work - not as convenient as the  yoga studio across the street - but would be good for strength, swim and running on my lunch. But somehow i've never gone to check it out so obviously i haven't needed it that badly.  Though, i think with being back at work and trying to do a HIM i'll need to use my lunch hour as much as possible. Anyway, being home i can actually use FB (blocked at work) and came across a free 5-visit pass! I think i will use it and finally check it out! :D 

Do most of you use your lunch hour at work for for workouts? 

2015-01-27 3:25 PM

User image

NH

We're like dominoes here - i am not feeling great - sore throat, cough and sore neck! Tylenol and cough syrup make me functional - so i can work at home and not take a sick day but i think i'll hold back on any hard workouts.

I keep thinking about joining the Y that is two blocks from my work - not as convenient as the  yoga studio across the street - but would be good for strength, swim and running on my lunch. But somehow i've never gone to check it out so obviously i haven't needed it that badly.  Though, i think with being back at work and trying to do a HIM i'll need to use my lunch hour as much as possible. Anyway, being home i can actually use FB (blocked at work) and came across a free 5-visit pass! I think i will use it and finally check it out! :D 

I do something almost every day at work lunch hour. I'm lucky that we have a VERY active group so it's no big deal since many of us are out running, biking, playing ultimate, lifting, or doing something.
2015-01-27 11:02 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Originally posted by wbayek

I do something almost every day at work lunch hour. I'm lucky that we have a VERY active group so it's no big deal since many of us are out running, biking, playing ultimate, lifting, or doing something.

Hi team. Sorry I haven't posted for ages. I've been away and super busy. I hope everyone starts feeling better! Keep up the healthy food and don't be afraid to train easy until you return to normal.

I actually work at a gym, so I should do more than I do, but being in that environment all day I tend to just want to relax at lunch time. If anything, I'll do a stretch/foam roll session. It's too hot to go outside and run (in summer) and I hate riding even the spin bike or even worse, the upright bike. I'm trying to motivate myself to get up in the morning to do a session each (most) days. I teach some martial arts classes 2 afternoons a week so those days are out, so I have to do a morning session those days, or else it is nothing.

bike yesterday was about 2 hours at top of z2, followed by 25min easy run.

I need to swim more too.
2015-01-28 5:47 AM
in reply to: stuart_little_9

User image

Master
South Alabama

If my schedule allows I workout at lunch....usually swim. There is a gym with a pool about 2 miles from the office so no problem getting  there and getting a swim done.

Good interval bike workout yesterday. Today is a swim at lunch and run with intervals tonight. Have a good day everyone.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 26

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28951 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46054 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54095 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 0
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.