General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-30 3:56 AM

Subject: First bike
Hi guys,
I've been running and swimming for about 6 month now, and have finally saved the money to get a bike that.
Since bikes is really expensive in my country (Denmark) I'll get the best value for money, buying of the internet, and I've found three bikes I that I would like:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-sport-c2-2014...
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f85-tiagra-2014/
and http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/caad8-7-sora-2014-ro...

Do anybody here have any opinions on these bikes and/or suggestions on what to buy?

2014-12-30 8:58 AM
in reply to: eyelessdk

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: First bike
The one that fits you best - you should invest in a bike fitting and then look up the stack/reach numbers for each of those bikes. All nice enough frames, but honestly none of them have great components, and your money will go A LOT further if you look for something used.
2014-12-30 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Sykesville, MD

Hey... if you are looking for a used bike potentially, or demo/late model, we have plenty of options that could work that will get you on a nicer bike with better components for the same price or less potentially. You can check us out at www.mybikeshop.com

Let me know if you have any questions or want to discuss. Thanks!

brian

2014-12-30 3:54 PM

Hi,
again I'm from Denmark, which is a pretty small country, and I'm not going to buy used from another country. I have had my eyes on one of these:
http://www.davemellorcycles.com/productdetails.asp?productid=15903in pretty good conditions for about the same price. Do you think that would be a better choice?
2014-12-30 7:28 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
The Merida has Ultegra which is a couple steps up from the Sora and Tiagra on the other bikes. So much nicer, race worthy components.

Carbon is nice - Merida isn't a well known company and dealing with them (I think they're Taiwanese but I might be wrong about that) could be problematic if you had any issues with the bike. But they they do seem to make nice bikes - their superbike looks like a HongFu, so maybe all their bikes are open-mold carbon from a factory like HongFu.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Bike Shoes

Started by jrlittle
Views: 703 Posts: 4

2006-03-02 10:00 AM the bear

First bike

Started by KevinthePRF
Views: 900 Posts: 11

2005-09-01 9:54 PM velocomp

First Bike Advice

Started by KiteFlyer
Views: 1351 Posts: 13

2005-08-25 3:54 AM KiteFlyer

My first bike

Started by MKraus64
Views: 1035 Posts: 19

2005-08-15 4:35 PM Rollin' Thunder

I Adopted My First Bike!!

Started by line
Views: 865 Posts: 16

2005-08-03 3:34 AM Chris Tree
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
comments : 0
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.