BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2015-01-11 5:44 PM
in reply to: #5081417

User image

Subject: RE: Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED***
Had a hard-run 5 miler race. Legs not quite awake (neither was I after a bad night sleep). Bit drizzly. Low attendance - 85. 3rd AG @ 37:59. Happy but still trying to figure out how to negative split at longer than 5k. Splits were 7:23, 7:49, 7:51, 8:01, 7:14.

2015-01-11 7:23 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by PsyTri

Had a hard-run 5 miler race. Legs not quite awake (neither was I after a bad night sleep). Bit drizzly. Low attendance - 85. 3rd AG @ 37:59. Happy but still trying to figure out how to negative split at longer than 5k. Splits were 7:23, 7:49, 7:51, 8:01, 7:14.

Nice! I would be happy with your worst time. I'm horrible about that too (you're talking about getting faster each mile right?). I'm really bad about that in the pool when the sets call for it. I just successfully did it for the first time, but it was because I was going down on distance too so it was easier to do.
2015-01-11 10:02 PM
in reply to: kt2007

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by kt2007

well I try to do the apple snack between breakfast and lunch than lunch is a Smart one meal. Than for dinner it just happens to be what ever the family is having for dinner. From that point I just try to control the portions. The worst part is we do still eat out a lot for dinner. I got a daughter in high school that is involved in EVERYTHING!! So we find our selves out kinda late several times a week and its grabbing junk to get home. I know i need to cut that part for sure.

Crockpot. Put everything in, in the morning, dinner ready when you return! This was essential for me when I was in college and also helped me make food in bulk. You do make lots of options with few ingredients.
2015-01-11 10:05 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Well we finally got snow here in Wisco, amongst other things this weekend (Packer victory). Which for me means that my running is now a run and snowshoe mix. If anyone here is in a winter climate that allows for snow I highly recommend snowshoe running. It is a great strength builder, hard run, and gives great benefits for running. It also breaks up the boring winter treadmill running and brings some new excitement to training.
2015-01-11 10:12 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Alright here is an article that I want to pass on for this week.

Many people speak on the notion that more is better in triathlon for training to improve performance and while I do not disagree with it, amateur triathletes have a more delicate balance with their training load with lives demands.

Remember that all stress is stress on the body. In and out of training you are placing a stress on your body. You make adaptions and improvements when you REST but if you are under a constant stress you are limiting your potential. There are 168 hours in the week, if you train 10-20 hours that is 148-158 hours where you are still under stress and can screw up your training. Sometimes we often only look at what we do in training to improve when we can look at what we do between training sessions to improve.

Remember stress includes:
Sleep
Nutrition

What people often forget stress is:
Sitting in a traffic jam
Opening an email inbox with 50+ emails
Being late for something
Pressure

http://kropelnicki.com/the-stress-budget/triathlon

So where does everyone think they fall? Which athlete are you?

Recognizing some ares of life that are stressful and managing that stress better can improve your training without changing anything in your training.

2015-01-12 8:03 AM
in reply to: #5082300

User image

I second the crockpot idea. My wife makes 2-3 meals a week, usually on days the kids are busy with things. I often make some rice and veggies as a side dish when I get home and then toss everything in a bowl. She laughs at me, but I'm a big fan of bowls of stuff.

As for the smoothie, I do something similar but left mine at home today so I'm not happy. I had swim practice and am always starving when I swim so I stopped and bought a Tim Horton's turkey sausage sandwich that's rather tasty along with a coffee. I usually go with almond milk, banana, berries, maybe an apple, and some whey protein. Sometimes I toss in some spinach and I like the idea of adding some coconut oil. Healthy fats are important and will help you feel.

My family went snowshoeing for the first time this winter yesterday. Unfortunately mine aren't in yet so I had to use my wife's, which are a bit on the small side. We all overdressed and were struggling after a mile. Lesson learned!

2015-01-12 9:14 AM

User image

One of the major changes I've made in my life over the past few years is to reduce my stress level. I changed jobs to allow for more flexible hours and a lower stress load and have been working hard to ensure I get a minimum of 7 hours sleep each night, preferably 8 or 9. This diminished stress load coupled with a change in diet is what I think has allowed me to overcome my idiopathic hypersomnia. Because of this I would classify myself as Athlete number 3 (underutilized total stress budget). I am, however, the king of too much too soon, which is one of the reasons I've hired a coach as I don't want to be athlete 1. 6-8 hours per week may not seem like a lot of training, but when you jump right into it without working your way up to those levels it can take a toll on your body. I'm hoping that having a coach plan my workouts will help me gradually work towards fulfilling my potential over the course of a few seasons. The key is to try and take a broad outlook encompassing several seasons.

So what are the leading causes of stress? I would say the following, in no particular order:

Money
Work
Family

Money - My wife and I are fortunate that we make a comfortable living that has allowed her to stay home with the kids up to this point. They are getting older so she is thinking of finding a part time job next month. The extra income will be nice, though she says it's not going towards a tri bike. Something about vacations and retirement

Work - This was a big change for me. My current job is much less stressful than my old job and that has had a significant improvement on my quality of life. I earn less money (which could increase stress) but the overall tradeoff is worthwhile for me as I do not handle stress well.

Family - This can be a big one, especially around the holidays. I've made a conscious effort to try and remove myself from any situation that looks to become stressful with my family. This doesn't always work, but acknowledging that it's an issue has allowed me to lower this stressor.

Training - I guess I should add this one in since this is a big one for us triathletes. My current training volume seems fine, though I struggle to recover from swim workouts. I don't know why, but I'm always tired for the rest of the day after a morning swim.
2015-01-12 10:02 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Utah
I am not sure which of those categories I fall into. I think that at different times I have been each of them. Right now I think I am at a good balance. My IM training has me at a volume I have never trained at before, but I think I am handling it well, and flat out loving it. It is definitely a stress reliever.

The biggest stressors in my life are easily work and money. There just seems to be a million things that need money right now...things breaking down, etc, normal life stuff. Work is a constant stress. I love it, but it is hard. I am a teacher working with at risk kids. Rewarding but very challenging as well.

Training helps me to manage my stress at home and work. It puts things into perspective. I think that it is also taking care of me, so I can in turn take care of everyone and everything else.
2015-01-12 12:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I'm back from the week at Disney world. Fun place but I'm good with not going back for a very long time......

Ran the Disney 5K on Thursday and felt great. It was fun and relatively easy and I felt like I had plenty of top end speed left to run a fast 13.1 on Saturday. However, I did something that I thought I would never do...... I didn't run the HM. I have been dealing with a nagging knee injury and with plantar fasciitis for some time. I know that I could have run the HM and done well (the injuries hardly bother me at all when racing or training, however, recovery after is a different story....) but I am pretty sure that at this point in my (very slow) recovery that the race would have set me back significantly. This would have affected my race season going forward and would have been a bad plan. Having the maturity to pull the plug is a very recent development in my athletic career I'm still not happy about it but it was the right decision.

Stress. I discussed this a lot with my coach. He felt, and I agree, that the level of stress related to my job was a significant part of me not making more progress wrt training and racing. I average about 65 hours per week at work. Much of it on my feet. And, while I don't feel stressed daily while doing my job, to deny that what I do is stressful would be silly. However, I really like my job and it is how I support my family and pay for triathlon. There really is no opportunity for me to change that stress level without altering the lives of my family and that would probably be more stressful than how things are now. I have accepted the limitations and deal with them. I take as much vacation as I can and make fantastic gains when I am not trying to squeeze work and training in to the same time slots.

Such is the life of the age group triathlete who is trying to run with the big dogs. Keeping all of the balls up in the air requires significant commitments. It is not surprising to see that many of the fastest AG triathletes out there make their living as coaches or personal trainers. That job choice allows them to deal with less stress and to incorporate training as part of their job.

Edited by wannabefaster 2015-01-12 9:23 PM
2015-01-12 12:49 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

I would put me at Athlete 2. I dont think I train hard enough and feel I could do more but it seems like the time throws me off. My family is getting older (my youngest 16) so besides all her school activities no issues and the wife only has 1 day off a week and she will let me train that day as long as its morning. I need to get a little better mind set on training and direction and get after it. Sorry just realized teh time got to get to formation.
2015-01-12 1:43 PM
in reply to: kt2007

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I probably switch back and forth between athlete 1 and 2. I'm actually starting to recognize it and change it, and I have felt much better since doing that. I need to learn more about proper nutrition, and work on my poor sleep habits even though that's real hard.

2015-01-12 2:10 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Originally posted by wannabefaster

I'm back from the week at Disney world. Fun place but I'm good with not going back for a very long time......

Ran the Disney 5K on Thursday and felt great. It was fun and relatively easy and I felt like I had plenty of top end speed left to run a fast 13.1 on Saturday. However, I did something that I thought I would never do...... I didn't run the HM. I have been dealing with a nagging knee injury and with plantar fasciitis for some time. I know that I could have run the HM and done well (the injuries hardly bother me at all when racing or training, however, recovery after is a different story....) but I am pretty sure that at this point in my (very slow) recovery that the race would have set me back significantly. This would have affected my race season going forward and would have been a bad plan. Having the maturity to pull the plug is a very recent development in my athletic career I'm still not happy about it but it was the right decision.

Stress. I discussed this a lot with my coach. He felt, and I agree, that the level of stress related to my job was a significant part of me not making more progress wrt training and racing. I average about 65 hours per week at work. Much of it on my feet. And, while I don't feel stressed daily while doing my job, to deny that what I do is stressful would be silly. However, I really like my job and it is how I support my family and pay for triathlon. There really is no opportunity for me to change that stress level without altering the lives of my family and that would probably be more stressful than how things are now. I have accepted the limitations and deal with them. I take as much vacation as I can and make fantastic gains when I am not trying to squeeze work and training in to the same time slots.

Such is the life of the age group triathlete who is trying to run with the big dogs. Keeping all of the balls up in the air requires significant commitments. It is not surprising to see that many of the fastest AG triathletes out there make there living as coaches or personal trainers. That job choice allows them to deal with less stress and to incorporate training as part of their job.

Congrats on being a grown up! This is something I struggle with as well. I actually took off most of last week as I was waiting to develop a plan with my coach, had a few nagging injuries, and am waiting to make an appointment with a PT. My wife is always impressed when I put on my big boy pants and do what is right, not necessarily what is more fun
2015-01-12 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

Such is the life of the age group triathlete who is trying to run with the big dogs. Keeping all of the balls up in the air requires significant commitments. It is not surprising to see that many of the fastest AG triathletes out there make there living as coaches or personal trainers. That job choice allows them to deal with less stress and to incorporate training as part of their job.

I entered the Philly marathon in Novemeber I had great training leading into it but the week of the race my body felt much different go up to the start line and at the 10 mile mark I started to know this was going to be a long day at the 13 mile mark I stopped and had to make the decision on where to go 26.2 or 13.1. Only running the .1 was the smartest triathlon decision I ever made. Humbling but a smart decision you will be rewarded for your decision as the season moves forward. I tell the people that I coach if it doesn't feel right " live to fight another day."
2015-01-12 8:35 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I used the wrong there in my last paragraph and now I can't change it.

Really, I know the difference between there, their and they're.

It is definitely going to bug me.

Sorry for that little OCD interruption.
2015-01-13 12:20 PM

User image

Swim class yesterday. The previous class was mostly drill work, this was a lot of pulling mixed with "Golf". To play golf in the pool you count your strokes for 50y and then add it to your time. He had us play with different stroke speeds to see what that did to our time and total score. I found it interesting that my score remained pretty much the same. If I slowed down and stretched out my stroke my time went up slightly, but it was the same score as a fast stroke with lots of turnover (and a lot more work) and a slightly reduced time.

I also ran for the first time in a week. Nothing exciting, 20 minutes, just over 2 miles.

Today will be an hour on the bike and then swim class tomorrow morning.
2015-01-13 1:09 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by wannabefaster I used the wrong there in my last paragraph and now I can't change it. Really, I know the difference between there, their and they're. It is definitely going to bug me. Sorry for that little OCD interruption.

As an English teacher, I thank you!  Lol! I am horrified if I make a mistake like that and realize it too late. I get the OCD part!

2015-01-13 4:51 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Elite

So where does everyone think they fall? Which athlete are you?

So regarding which athlete I am, I'd say I fall somewhere between 2-3.  I have very predictable, scheduled days.  I really don't have much work stress at all--the typical stuff dealing with high school kids, but I take it all in stride. Hubby is a teacher as well, in the same school, so we have the same basic schedule.  Our daughters are 10 & 15 so pretty independent and really great kids so not much family stress.  We're in a nice spot financially and my family is very supportive of my training/rest schedule.  Really the only added stress that I could bring in is training stress--pushing myself farther than I think I can handle.  I'm amazed at what I've done already so I know I can do  more.

2015-01-13 9:17 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I'm definitely a type I in the Kropelnicki triathlete stress scale.

One of the reasons that I decided to go without a coach this season is that I felt like training had become almost like a job that had to be done every day. My consistency was commendable but I was frequently over reaching as far as what I could handle. It wasn't my coach's fault, it was mine. I kept telling him that I could handle whatever training load he wrote for me. Some how I equated more work to pleasing my coach so I just absorbed it all. Now, for better or worse, the only one I have to answer to is myself and that has allowed me to scale back a little.

Update on my decision not to race on Saturday: my knee is feeling better than it has felt in a long time. It was definitely the right decision. My new goal is to do almost no running through January and then reevaluate. Hopefully that will put me on the path to full recovery in time to race in the Spring. Plus it will give me a badly needed bike focus
2015-01-15 9:20 AM

User image

Elite

I have a question about rest.  Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day.  M-F I am in my workout room from 4am-6am--it is a schedule I thrive on.  Saturdays are usually a long trainer ride (early am as well and in my workout room) and then Sundays are a long run outside.  During the work week I like to be up early and have all that quiet time to myself in my workout room before all the hustle and bustle of they day begins.  I'm debating about tomorrow--do I still get up at regular time and just do an easy treadmill walk, stretching, etc. and count that as rest or on rest days should I banish myself from my workout room completely to get that one day away from everything training related?  I guess I could still get up early but do something else with that time--catch up on email, small projects, etc. How do you guys handle your rest days? 

2015-01-15 10:19 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Rest day? I don't know what that is.

Seriously, my rest days are usually more of a recovery day with a nice, relaxed swim or an easy spin or a very slow paced recovery run.

I suspect that you can tell that my advice would be to get up and get in a very low intensity workout. Maybe focus more time on stretching or do some core work or maybe just 30 minutes of walking or spinning and then deal with those emails....
2015-01-15 1:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Like Jason, I rarely take a full rest day -- I think the best way to "rest" is to do a recovery paced swim / bike / run.  If it were me in your place, I'd sleep in a bit and then get up and do something active (but easy) for 30 minutes to an hour. 

Catching up on emails or small projects would be less restful than hopping on the bike

2015-01-15 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

Rest day? I don't know what that is.

Seriously, my rest days are usually more of a recovery day with a nice, relaxed swim or an easy spin or a very slow paced recovery run.

I suspect that you can tell that my advice would be to get up and get in a very low intensity workout. Maybe focus more time on stretching or do some core work or maybe just 30 minutes of walking or spinning and then deal with those emails....

When I di my last IM I took a full rest every Monday it was helpful to catch up on things.
Last year I did recovery days and took a full rest on the 21st day it was much needed.
I did see huge gains last year using this method.
2015-01-15 1:34 PM
in reply to: triguy1043

User image

Elite

You guys offer some great advice. This early in the training schedule I think I do like the sleep in a little and do something light just to be up and moving.  Later on I may re-visit the total rest day. Mentally it might be good to not go into my workout room at all for a day. 

2015-01-15 9:58 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by ingleshteechur

I have a question about rest.  Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day.  M-F I am in my workout room from 4am-6am--it is a schedule I thrive on.  Saturdays are usually a long trainer ride (early am as well and in my workout room) and then Sundays are a long run outside.  During the work week I like to be up early and have all that quiet time to myself in my workout room before all the hustle and bustle of they day begins.  I'm debating about tomorrow--do I still get up at regular time and just do an easy treadmill walk, stretching, etc. and count that as rest or on rest days should I banish myself from my workout room completely to get that one day away from everything training related?  I guess I could still get up early but do something else with that time--catch up on email, small projects, etc. How do you guys handle your rest days? 

Rest days should be a day of rest. Minimal to low stress as much as possible. That includes training stress AND life stress. However, it is important to move around during a rest day and not just stay still. People often overlook how beneficial walking as people perceive it as going "slow" or not going "far". On the opposite knocking off your entire "to do" list, or doing loads of yard work, or anything that places a lot of stress on the body would not be beneficial for a "rest day".
2015-01-16 7:34 AM

User image

Elite

Thanks Ben, makes sense.  Slept in, did a nice little 30 minute walk and some stretching and just chilled.  The rest of my day is easy peasy.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 36897 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.