BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2015-01-16 9:05 AM
in reply to: #5077893

User image

Utah
Subject: RE: Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED***
My set rest days are Sundays. I like the physical and mental break it gives me. On occasion I'll go for an easy walk with the dogs, but mainly just take it completely off. After a long ride Friday and a long run Saturday, Sundays are a nice break to recharge before starting a new training week on Monday.

2015-01-16 9:49 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

We spend about half our weekends away from home so I usually use Friday as a rest day since it's so often a travel day. I try to actually rest, with my physical activity for the day peaking with walking the dogs.

2015-01-18 7:17 PM
in reply to: #5083996

User image

Just venting here. Ever since I started triathlons a year and a half ago, I have prided myself on doing 99% of my workouts early in the morning before anybody wakes up. It is a way for me to feel good about not interrupting my family's sanity while I get fit and enjoy myself. Guilt free fun! So far this season, I've been dealing with bouts of insomnia, and no matter how quiet I am in the morning, I reliably wake my spouse up on the way out of the house. Also, now that I'm moving up to a longer distance, Olympic, my morning workouts are a little more involved and bring me home a little bit later, which pushes up against my other family obligations. It is leading to a lot of friction and frustration.
2015-01-18 8:54 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Elite

Originally posted by PsyTri Just venting here. Ever since I started triathlons a year and a half ago, I have prided myself on doing 99% of my workouts early in the morning before anybody wakes up. It is a way for me to feel good about not interrupting my family's sanity while I get fit and enjoy myself. Guilt free fun! So far this season, I've been dealing with bouts of insomnia, and no matter how quiet I am in the morning, I reliably wake my spouse up on the way out of the house. Also, now that I'm moving up to a longer distance, Olympic, my morning workouts are a little more involved and bring me home a little bit later, which pushes up against my other family obligations. It is leading to a lot of friction and frustration.

I do almost all my workouts early as well.  I can't speak to the insomnia as I suffer from narcolepsy so sleeping is never a problem! Is there a way to have everything together right by the door the night  before so the morning exit is quick and quiet?  As far as getting back a bit later, can you get up earlier to avoid that?  When I'm looking at my workout week M-F I know I have to be done by 6:15am to fit in my breakfast, kids' breakfasts, getting ready and all that, so I work backwards and figure out how much earlier I need to get up.  If there is friction with the spouse, the two of you might need to sit down and figure out a schedule that works for everyone.  Hubby and I have it down to a science now.  However, my two daughters are older now and pretty independent.  Can you trace anything that may be causing the insomnia?  Diet?  Stress?

2015-01-18 9:03 PM

User image

Elite

I have a swim question.  So, I'm in a unique dilemma with swimming.  My small town pool (which is great) is only open June-August.  The closest indoor pool to me is 120 miles in Salt Lake City.  However, 25 miles south in the middle of the desert is a natural fed spring called Blue Lake that is about 68-70 degrees all year round which is where I do my swimming all winter/spring long.  I love swimming there but during the winter I can only get there once a week--there are just not enough daylight hours to get out there during the week after school until spring.  So...the question--how best do I spend my time out there?  The perimeter measures about 1/2 mile around.  Do I just work on swim endurance and keep increasing total swimming time?  I can do sighting drills, etc. but no real speed work or anything.  

2015-01-19 10:21 AM
in reply to: #5084712

User image

PsyTri - I'm fortunate in that we have a master bath with a door that closes and blocks out most of the light and noise. I try to get everything setup in there the night before so once my alarm goes off I stumble into the bathroom, shut the door, then turn on the light and start to get ready. Fortunately my wife sleeps through it all.

2015-01-19 1:13 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

I do all the things necessary to minimize noise but to no avail. I had it all worked out, and I'm doing the same things I used to. I just think that my wife's becoming a lighter sleeper! It could even be the sound of the alarm or the rustling of the sheets. It's really crazy.
2015-01-19 1:18 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Originally posted by ingleshteechur

I have a swim question.  So, I'm in a unique dilemma with swimming.  My small town pool (which is great) is only open June-August.  The closest indoor pool to me is 120 miles in Salt Lake City.  However, 25 miles south in the middle of the desert is a natural fed spring called Blue Lake that is about 68-70 degrees all year round which is where I do my swimming all winter/spring long.  I love swimming there but during the winter I can only get there once a week--there are just not enough daylight hours to get out there during the week after school until spring.  So...the question--how best do I spend my time out there?  The perimeter measures about 1/2 mile around.  Do I just work on swim endurance and keep increasing total swimming time?  I can do sighting drills, etc. but no real speed work or anything.  

I don't know your plan, but a conventional periodized plan (linear, as Friel calls it) would have most of your work at this stage be "endurance" and "speed skills" - i.e., form work, with no "speed work" just yet. I also rely pretty heavily on a tempo trainer, with repeated efforts at increasing tempo, while focusing on certain aspects of stroke. I would not be approaching race pace yet in these sets, but rather tightening up the form so that it stays tight as the tempo increases. It seems pretty early in the season to be doing speed work or intervals. Just my 2 cents. BTW, swimming in a spring sounds pretty awesome! A great opportunity to get used to continuous OWS. Enjoy!
2015-01-19 3:25 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by PsyTri
Originally posted by ingleshteechur

I don't know your plan, but a conventional periodized plan (linear, as Friel calls it) would have most of your work at this stage be "endurance" and "speed skills" - i.e., form work, with no "speed work" just yet. I also rely pretty heavily on a tempo trainer, with repeated efforts at increasing tempo, while focusing on certain aspects of stroke. I would not be approaching race pace yet in these sets, but rather tightening up the form so that it stays tight as the tempo increases. It seems pretty early in the season to be doing speed work or intervals. Just my 2 cents. BTW, swimming in a spring sounds pretty awesome! A great opportunity to get used to continuous OWS. Enjoy!

Oh it's amazing swimming out there!  When the air temp is 15 degrees or so the whole lake is covered with steam.  It looks so cool.  Getting in and out is cold, but the swimming is great. It's also a mecca for scuba divers from Wyoming and Idaho so it's pretty common to see scuba schools out there.  It's definitely made me super comfortable with open water swimming.

2015-01-20 6:35 AM

User image

What kind of strength training does everyone do? What about prehab/rehab type stuff?

2015-01-20 8:36 AM

User image

Utah
I hit the gym for weight training 3x a week, 20-30 minutes at a time. I do basic stuff like lunges, squats, and other leg stuff one day, then another day I do core work, then another day upper body.

I love it, I do light weights but high reps. I know if I do so much that I am sore the next day I did too much. I have noticed that I haven't been injured since starting strength training, but I wouldn't say that is the reason.

2015-01-20 11:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

In seasons past, I had a few core routines of 10-15 minutes duration I'd do 2x/week average. Some physical therapy exercises to strengthen/stretch tendons of the lower leg.

This season, I decided to commit to the weight room. Found a year-round strength training routine on Training Peaks by Shane Niemeyer (just google it). It's very comprehensive and well-conceived. It goes through 4 phases that repeat throughout the year, and the rationale for each one is explained in significant detail. There are youtube clips showing how to do every exercise with proper form -- some are more complex than others. You can customize the duration and intensity/reps/loads to your own needs/desires. It's 2x/week about an hour in the gym each workout - so it definitely takes commitment. I'm in the 7th week and really liking it. Will also continue some of the PT stuff from last season since I'm injury prone in that area.

Edited by PsyTri 2015-01-20 11:31 AM
2015-01-20 11:48 AM

User image

In seasons past, I had a few core routines of 10-15 minutes duration I'd do 2x/week average. Some physical therapy exercises to strengthen/stretch tendons of the lower leg.

This season, I decided to commit to the weight room. Found a year-round strength training routine on Training Peaks by Shane Niemeyer (just google it). It's very comprehensive and well-conceived. It goes through 4 phases that repeat throughout the year, and the rationale for each one is explained in significant detail. There are youtube clips showing how to do every exercise with proper form -- some are more complex than others. You can customize the duration and intensity/reps/loads to your own needs/desires. It's 2x/week about an hour in the gym each workout - so it definitely takes commitment. I'm in the 7th week and really liking it. Will also continue some of the PT stuff from last season since I'm injury prone in that area.

Interesting read. I found a 4 part series he wrote for Training Peaks but will need to spend some time determining where I am at in my training cycle and how to adapt it. Strength training is one of those things I know I should do, I just struggle to actually do it.
2015-01-20 12:48 PM

User image

I, too, know it's good for me, but have struggled in the past to stay consistent. The thing I like about it is that it's very structured, which helps me. Also, Friel writes that skinny old guys like me really need to hit the weights more than some other groups. Also, it fits into my plan to avert injury and leverage as much power and endurance out of my body as I can.
2015-01-21 7:16 AM

User image

Durham, North Carolina

That seems like a really good plan. I haven't figured out how to make enough time w/o taking away from training to go to the gym for my workouts. I'm trying to do my wife's Piyo videos now. I really like them because its not all the crazy jumping like in the other beachbody videos, but instead a lot of plank/core work.
2015-01-21 8:28 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Time is always the big issue, isn't it Lupy. I was going to try and start tonight, but plans have changed. I posted a message on my team message board asking about used bike values and how to price them. 10 minutes later I had 3 offers in my inbox, one of which is just about perfect for what I need (basically an inexpensive real tri bike as I enter my second year of triathlons. I'm know for being impulsive so I would like to keep the dollar amount down until I prove to myself and my wife that it's something I will stick with). Looks like today might be new bike day so I will probably hop on the trainer and play with fit. I assumed I would have to spend $1500 - $2k for a decent used tri bike after looking at Craigslist. If this works I will have bought 4 bikes in the past year for less than that, total (nice upgraded Focus mountain bike, entry level road bike for my wife, tandem, and now this). New bike day is the best day of the year!

2015-01-21 9:32 AM

User image

Congrats on new bike day! Last year, I bit the bullet and went with the Nytro triathlon package -- I've been pretty happy with the Cannondale Slide 5 -105. Enjoy yours!
2015-01-21 9:52 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Originally posted by wannabefaster

Any tips on doing a 30 min running time trial for LTHR (doing it Thursday AM)? I've got the procedures down pat but unsure how NOT to go out too fast and how to mentally prepare. Would 5K pace be a place to start?

Not unless it takes you 30 minutes to run a 5K.......

I have done a lot of testing for bench marking over the last several years and have gotten better at testing. The biggest mistake is going out too hard.

For a 30 minute running test, I would plan on starting out 10% slower than my "hoped for" pace. If I was hoping to run 6:20s as my average pace, I would run the first 10 minutes or so closer to 6:50-55. At the ten minute mark I would start easing my pace down in to the 6:30s or even in to the high 6:20s. By the 20 minute mark I should be at my goal pace and starting to suffer. By about 24-26 minutes I would start to "empty the tank" by going under my goal pace, maybe down to 6:05-10. The last two minutes should suck badly.

It always feels better to start a little slower and finish fast than it does to start out fast and limp home. And believe me, I have done it the second way more times than I care to admit. Every time I have executed a test that I am really happy with (on the bike or run) I have followed the protocol above.

Of course, I am not sure what your 30 minute test entails so I could be giving you bad advice.

Jason - I can't thank you enough for the input. Finally got out there this morning for my LTHR running time trial. It was definitely taxing!

I was way off on the paces I estimated I could sustain (Planned avg pace = 7:15/mile. Actual = 7:40/mile). My legs felt heavy and may not have been fresh enough, given recent workouts. Still, even though my average pace for 20 min was :05 slower than my recent 5-miler pace (~7:35/mile), my average HR was 8 BPM higher in the TT than during that race. I think it is a good starting place, and the resulting Friel zones look spot on when I look back at some recent races and training runs with both HR and pace data. Thanks again.
2015-01-22 6:40 AM

User image

Here she is (minus the race wheels). I took her home last night, tossed an old beat up skewer on, swapped out pedals, added Garmin speed and cadence sensor, and hopped on the trainer for a visit to the Sufferfest doctor for a Rubber Glove exam to set my FTP. It went from 259 on the old bike up to 309 on the new bike. This is virtual power so nothing really changed except the setup (tire pressure, tension on the roller, etc), but I like to think it's the added aerodynamics from the new bike It also helped that my daughter stood next to me and yelled "SHUT UP LEGS" at the top of her lungs for the last 5 minutes.

(10919406_898095123555034_555061331936162096_o.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
10919406_898095123555034_555061331936162096_o.jpg (290KB - 73 downloads)
2015-01-22 7:54 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Any tips on doing a 30 min running time trial for LTHR (doing it Thursday AM)? I've got the procedures down pat but unsure how NOT to go out too fast and how to mentally prepare. Would 5K pace be a place to start?

Not unless it takes you 30 minutes to run a 5K.......

I have done a lot of testing for bench marking over the last several years and have gotten better at testing. The biggest mistake is going out too hard.

For a 30 minute running test, I would plan on starting out 10% slower than my "hoped for" pace. If I was hoping to run 6:20s as my average pace, I would run the first 10 minutes or so closer to 6:50-55. At the ten minute mark I would start easing my pace down in to the 6:30s or even in to the high 6:20s. By the 20 minute mark I should be at my goal pace and starting to suffer. By about 24-26 minutes I would start to "empty the tank" by going under my goal pace, maybe down to 6:05-10. The last two minutes should suck badly.

It always feels better to start a little slower and finish fast than it does to start out fast and limp home. And believe me, I have done it the second way more times than I care to admit. Every time I have executed a test that I am really happy with (on the bike or run) I have followed the protocol above.

Of course, I am not sure what your 30 minute test entails so I could be giving you bad advice.

Jason - I can't thank you enough for the input. Finally got out there this morning for my LTHR running time trial. It was definitely taxing!

I was way off on the paces I estimated I could sustain (Planned avg pace = 7:15/mile. Actual = 7:40/mile). My legs felt heavy and may not have been fresh enough, given recent workouts. Still, even though my average pace for 20 min was :05 slower than my recent 5-miler pace (~7:35/mile), my average HR was 8 BPM higher in the TT than during that race. I think it is a good starting place, and the resulting Friel zones look spot on when I look back at some recent races and training runs with both HR and pace data. Thanks again.

Glad to be able to help. Like I said, I have blown up enough times doing my own testing to know how miserable it is to go out too hard and not be able to finish like I want to. Happens to me a lot more on the bike than on the run for whatever reason. I haven't tested at all since I finished up last season but I am afraid that it is almost time to go through another round of swim/bike/run testing to set new paces for training. If I were still paying my coach he would just tell me to do it and I would whether I wanted to or not. Now I have to just do it because it is important. Sometimes hard to do because I know how much it hurts.....

John, sweet looking bike. I have always thought that the Transition is a beautiful bike and that black paint job looks great on it. The wheels look nice as well. Your test on the new bike is interesting. There is a lot of psychology involved in testing. Feeling like you are on a fast bike makes you want to go fast. I always test better on my "race" bike than I do on my "trainer" bike. I rarely put the race bike on the computrainer except on test days. I want to feel like I'm getting every advantage.

My wonky knee continues to improve. It definitely is not healed but it is better. I am really hoping that by February I will be able to add in some real running to the program. I have dreamed of running twice in the last week. Weird. If I don't start putting some miles in, my Spring Marathon might be a bust. That would be a bummer but stuff happens.
2015-01-22 7:57 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Ps. The added benefit of having your daughter quote Jens Voight to you couldn't have hurt.

Maybe I can pay my 12 year old to stand there and yell at me for 20 minutes. Heck, I might not need to pay her. But, she would probably yell some pretty hurtful things.

2015-01-22 8:50 PM

User image

Ps. The added benefit of having your daughter quote Jens Voight to you couldn't have hurt.

Maybe I can pay my 12 year old to stand there and yell at me for 20 minutes. Heck, I might not need to pay her. But, she would probably yell some pretty hurtful things.

I think that giving them license to yell "Shut Up" is something my kids would relish!
2015-01-23 7:03 AM

User image

Jason - If she's anything like my daughter you won't have to pay her and she might even pay you just for the chance to yell at you with impunity.

Anyone here train by heart rate? I've always tracked my heart rate in the past but have never used it during the workouts. My current plans calls for things like:

10 minute warm up
5 minute Z3
15 minute Z2
5 minute Z3
15 minute Z2
10 minute cool down

My heart rate monitor is sporadic for some reason (changed batteries, got it wet, etc) and a new one should be here today. Aside from that, I'm finding it difficult to transition between the different heart rate zones short of almost walking. Any suggestions?
2015-01-24 2:32 PM
in reply to: #5077893

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Beautiful bike! I'm so jealous! Also having a daughter that knows to yell "shut up legs" is also amazing.

I some what train with HR but I don't really switch much between zones. I mainly try to stay under a target. Are your zones accurate? If you are new to it you might be shocked with how slow z2 is especially on fresh legs.

On that note can you guys link your tests for cycling and running? I did my running one when I was new to running and have never done one for cycling.
2015-01-24 2:32 PM
in reply to: #5086741

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Are we doing a hangout soon?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 36800 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.