BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2015-03-07 2:20 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED***

Went out for a cold, windy outdoor ride this morning.  Unfortunately for me, I don't really have appropriate riding gear for temps below about 60F, so I froze my butt off (well, really my fingers and toes!) this morning. Legs were feeling heavy from the get-go, so I decided I'd just sit in and get the draft benefit. Power meter and heart rate show the ride to be quite easy....legs felt differently!

Finished up the ride and got in an easy 30 minute run. It's a little disheartening to realize how much fitness I've lost since last season. My running is ahead of where I was at this point last year, but my biking is terrible, which makes the brick runs feel kinda awful. Only seven weeks out from Galveston 70.3 and I'm starting to get worried. Hopefully things will come around in the next few weeks.

2015-03-07 9:03 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nicole, take heart. Seven weeks is a lot of time. I feel your pain however. I was supposed to be running a marathon at the end of the month and am nowhere ready to do so. I'm going to try to switch to the 13.1 and target a different marathon at the end of May.

I did run outside here in Michigan for the first time in awhile. It was 38 with bright sun and felt great. A very nice run and a chance to absorb a little vitamin D. I was actually a little too warm. It has a long time since I have said that while outside.

10 mile run and swim lesson on tap for tomorrow. Should be fun.
2015-03-08 3:56 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Another outdoor run for me. Yay! 44 degrees outside right now is a heat wave. Plus another hour of daylight in the afternoon. Life is good.

Did 10 miles and felt very good over some fairly hilly terrain. Maybe my running will come back after all.

Had a nice swim lesson. Several take aways from it but maybe the most important one of all is that she says I'm swimming too darn hard, especially at the start of my swim sessions. She thinks I go out too hard and that it negatively affects the rest of my workout. She would like me to swim the first 1000 yards painfully easy. The interesting thing is that I am not that much slower when I swim easy than when I swim hard. Clearly there are some issues to fix if that is the case. If I go almost as fast while swimming easy it doesn't make a lot of sense to kill myself at the start of a race if it isn't going to gain me a whole lot. Better to save some of that effort for the bike and run where I can make a dent in my competition
2015-03-08 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Got in an 11 mile run this morning, narrowly missing the rain!  I apparently timed it just perfectly....whew!

I notice that most people do their swim warm up too hard/fast.  People I swim with tend to lap me during the warm-up, but then can't hold their intervals later in the session.  I'm actually quite certain that for a number of them, their warm-up is the fastest 500m they do the entire session!  I used to do the same thing and happened to read something here on BT noting that the majority of people do all of their warm-ups too hard and the rest of their training suffers for it, so I've forced myself to get in the habit of going nice and slow for the warm-up.

Our typical warm-up is 500m continuous swim, followed by 10x50 either drill or build type stuff.  For the first 200m, I'm going probably 15-20s / 100m slower than my threshold pace.  After 200m, I start to build a little; after 350m, I do about 100m a bit quicker, and then finish off with 50-75 back at my slow pace.  I also take it very seriously when the coach says "easy 50" or whatever....I want to keep the body moving, but I want to flush out any lactic acid that's built up.  

I'm not a great swimmer, but I have improved a lot over the past couple years, and I owe some of that to learning how to warm-up properly and also learning to suffer appropriately  

2015-03-08 6:34 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Got in an 11 mile run this morning, narrowly missing the rain!  I apparently timed it just perfectly....whew!

I notice that most people do their swim warm up too hard/fast.  People I swim with tend to lap me during the warm-up, but then can't hold their intervals later in the session.  I'm actually quite certain that for a number of them, their warm-up is the fastest 500m they do the entire session!  I used to do the same thing and happened to read something here on BT noting that the majority of people do all of their warm-ups too hard and the rest of their training suffers for it, so I've forced myself to get in the habit of going nice and slow for the warm-up.

Our typical warm-up is 500m continuous swim, followed by 10x50 either drill or build type stuff.  For the first 200m, I'm going probably 15-20s / 100m slower than my threshold pace.  After 200m, I start to build a little; after 350m, I do about 100m a bit quicker, and then finish off with 50-75 back at my slow pace.  I also take it very seriously when the coach says "easy 50" or whatever....I want to keep the body moving, but I want to flush out any lactic acid that's built up.  

I'm not a great swimmer, but I have improved a lot over the past couple years, and I owe some of that to learning how to warm-up properly and also learning to suffer appropriately  

Thanks for this. I am sure that I am exactly like the folks who are passing you during warm up and then falling apart later. My warm up pace is very often as fast or faster than my interval paces. Of course, I feel great swimming that fast when I am fresh and then struggle to maintain when I am tired. Tomorrow I'm going to start working on fixing this.

Yet another step in my search for "the answer" when it comes to swimming.
2015-03-10 9:32 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I concentrated on a slow warm up. Managed to keep it under control but then never really got up to speed. Just kept it consistent and worked on form.

Swimming. Ugh.

2015-03-13 3:55 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I had the best swim that I have had in a very long time today. Felt great in the water which was a surprise given my reduced swim volume as of late. It was nice to feel good in the pool for once.

I have been getting up at 4:30 for the last several years to try to get in a training session in the morning and I am officially taking a break from doing that. I am tired and need to get more sleep. The 4:30 AM wake up is on temporary hiatus. That is what is hurting my swim volume but oh well.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 36776 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.