General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newb Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-01 9:44 AM

Subject: Newb
I am a 33 yr old who has decided over the last year to try a couple of sprint tris in Kansas. Looking forward to the training (I love the bike) and seeing what this has to offer. Any tips on how to do all of this without spending thousands would be great!!

Dano

2015-01-01 12:48 PM
in reply to: mottad

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Newb

Welcome to BT. I hope that you find thid place inspirational and helpful. There are constantly questions regarding cost and finances that come up in the TriTalk forum. Another helpful tool is to get into a mentor groups. They are open now and there are a bunch of people in there that can help you get the most bang for your buck.

Most of all, enjoy the ride!

2015-01-01 2:13 PM
in reply to: mottad

User image

Champion

All you need is a good pair of silicone goggles (not foam) and a fitted pair of running shoes.  It also helps if the bike fits you but a used - even new mountain bike from Walmart works great - that is how I started.  I still train in baggy swim pants...so 'yes', it can be as cheap as you want...no more than a few hundred $.

Happy New Year!

2015-01-02 4:26 PM
in reply to: Ron

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Ron

All you need is a good pair of silicone goggles (not foam) and a fitted pair of running shoes.  It also helps if the bike fits you but a used - even new mountain bike from Walmart works great - that is how I started.  I still train in baggy swim pants...so 'yes', it can be as cheap as you want...no more than a few hundred $.

Happy New Year!

Ron is correct. "Triathlon on a budget" Love it!

You will need a approved helmet to race. I would strongly suggest to get it fitted and use it in training.

Good luck and have fun......

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newb Rss Feed