General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Los Cabos?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-01 3:20 PM

New user

Austin
Subject: Ironman Los Cabos??
Finished first full (Florida) last year but swim was cancelled (huge,huge bummer). Told my wife I would only do ONE Full but I can't accept not doing all three disciplines. So, I had to negotiatiate a vacation destination location in exchange for one more Full Iron. My wife chose Los Cabos.

Question(s): has anyone done Los Cabos? Suggestions, feedback? Was the heat really tough? What did you do to prepare for that? I read that the ride has 6000ft of climbing. True? Did you execute a different ride strategy given the heat and the climbing on the ride so that you had something left for the run?

I am a good swimmer (70 mins at 2.4 miles), average rider (17mph avg in Florida), below average runner (13min mile avg in Florida).
My goal is to FINISH so that I have truly done a full tri.

ANY advice on how to train/hydrate for the heat, hills, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated............ :-)
As background - I live in Austin so training in the heat and riding hills are normal for me.

Edited by Dinnes 2015-01-01 3:22 PM

2015-01-02 1:51 PM
in reply to: Dinnes

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Subject: RE: Ironman Los Cabos??
I'll give it a try. Disclaimer: This is the view from the back of the pack. I was the last official finisher in the March 2014 edition of this race. My times are usually slightly slower to yours - 1:20 for the swim, bout 16 mph ride depending on the course, and 13 - 15 minute miles. I have finished 16 140.6 races, but most in the last 2 hours. So take it for what its worth.

The swim is pretty sweet. Wetsuit/salt water = fun. Great setting, easy to navigate. It was hot already on race morning, and the sand gets in everything. You have to get on your bike and push up a big hill to get on the main highway.

The ride was two and a half loops or so on the coastal highway. This year's course dropped the out - and - back to the airport that I heard was brutal. The course has lots and lots of ups and downs, but no real killer hills. Several flat stretches for recovery, and there seemed to be a nice long slight downhill going to the turnaround in Cabo San Lucas. There are also a couple of tire eating cracks and expansion joints, these were flagged with cones after the first loop. I made it a point to sit and spin up the hills, and felt challenged but never really in trouble. I did begin to realize I was getting behind on fluids - it is a coastal desert area (dry) and the heat can be deceiving as well since the winds tend to cool you. Most of the winds I thought were crosswinds. Hydration and electrolytes! It caught up with me on the run.

The run is multiple laps through San Jose del Cabo. Lots of folks out on the streets. Lots of turns, very few hills at all, small portion on trail. Surprisingly well lit. Poor execution on the bike came back to haunt me. Cramped quads at mile 2. Walked a lot of the marathon with ice packs in the legs of my tri shorts. I had put 2 liters of e-load in my SN, swilled it, and that saved the day. Panicked at one point because I thought I had made an error calculating the pace needed to make an official finish. Stayed in front of the guys sweeping stragglers for a downtown finish. Got my medal from women's winner Lindsey Corbin, but don't really remember much.

We stayed at Hola Grand Faro one of the host hotels. Several restaurants on site with remarkably good food, and triathlete friendly. I made my reservation through AmEX, and got an upgraded package that was pretty sweet. Logistics are pretty straight forward as buses run back and forth throughout the day. Only problem is getting back to the hotels post race - there is no transport provided. Lots of folks walked (up to a couple miles IIRC), we snagged a taxi. Used TBT and the valet service so we didn't have to worry about hauling gear - they were set up in the Hola Grand Faro, and toted everything back so I could pick it up the next morning.

Hope that helps! Happy to answer any other questions, but like I said, things may look different at the FOP.
2015-01-05 8:53 PM
in reply to: exnavydoc

New user

Austin
Thank you soooo much for you excellent information! Seems like we are probably about the same speed. Your descriptions are very helpful and actually encouraging in that I was concerned even if I did everything right I might not be able to survive the heat and the climb(s). But based on your feedback I think it is possible if I am disciplined with my hydration and calorie plan. I might be back in touch but for now THANKS! And congrats on finishing 16 IMs.....wow!
2015-01-06 11:38 AM
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by exnavydoc I'll give it a try. Disclaimer: This is the view from the back of the pack. I was the last official finisher in the March 2014 edition of this race. My times are usually slightly slower to yours - 1:20 for the swim, bout 16 mph ride depending on the course, and 13 - 15 minute miles. I have finished 16 140.6 races, but most in the last 2 hours. So take it for what its worth. The swim is pretty sweet. Wetsuit/salt water = fun. Great setting, easy to navigate. It was hot already on race morning, and the sand gets in everything. You have to get on your bike and push up a big hill to get on the main highway. The ride was two and a half loops or so on the coastal highway. This year's course dropped the out - and - back to the airport that I heard was brutal. The course has lots and lots of ups and downs, but no real killer hills. Several flat stretches for recovery, and there seemed to be a nice long slight downhill going to the turnaround in Cabo San Lucas. There are also a couple of tire eating cracks and expansion joints, these were flagged with cones after the first loop. I made it a point to sit and spin up the hills, and felt challenged but never really in trouble. I did begin to realize I was getting behind on fluids - it is a coastal desert area (dry) and the heat can be deceiving as well since the winds tend to cool you. Most of the winds I thought were crosswinds. Hydration and electrolytes! It caught up with me on the run. The run is multiple laps through San Jose del Cabo. Lots of folks out on the streets. Lots of turns, very few hills at all, small portion on trail. Surprisingly well lit. Poor execution on the bike came back to haunt me. Cramped quads at mile 2. Walked a lot of the marathon with ice packs in the legs of my tri shorts. I had put 2 liters of e-load in my SN, swilled it, and that saved the day. Panicked at one point because I thought I had made an error calculating the pace needed to make an official finish. Stayed in front of the guys sweeping stragglers for a downtown finish. Got my medal from women's winner Lindsey Corbin, but don't really remember much. We stayed at Hola Grand Faro one of the host hotels. Several restaurants on site with remarkably good food, and triathlete friendly. I made my reservation through AmEX, and got an upgraded package that was pretty sweet. Logistics are pretty straight forward as buses run back and forth throughout the day. Only problem is getting back to the hotels post race - there is no transport provided. Lots of folks walked (up to a couple miles IIRC), we snagged a taxi. Used TBT and the valet service so we didn't have to worry about hauling gear - they were set up in the Hola Grand Faro, and toted everything back so I could pick it up the next morning. Hope that helps! Happy to answer any other questions, but like I said, things may look different at the FOP.

I did this race in the inaugural year in 2013 which included the out-and-back on the airport toll road.  ExNavyDoc's description of the race is very accurate, although if you are used to Florida flat, then you will consider Cabo a hilly race (on the scale of flat - rollers - hilly - very hilly - mountainous).  IM Arizona and Florida are flat. Lake Placid and Canada are very hilly (with some roller sections). IM France is mountainous.

I also stayed at the Hola Grand Faro in San Jose del Cabo which was a host hotel.  I was intending to race it in 2014, but broke my collarbone and couldn't race. I did visit anyway during race week and stayed at the Rui Palace in Cabo San Lucas, which is an all-inclusive.  Either hotel would be a great choice, and are quite a bit different. The food is better at the Rui. Race logistics are easier if you stay in San Jose del Cabo.

The race will be in November now, so the weather will be different.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Los Cabos?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Los Cabos March 30, 2014

Started by yogapeach
Views: 1304 Posts: 3

2013-10-21 7:46 PM exnavydoc

Ironman Los Cabos - No disk wheels allowed?

Started by tsrf900r
Views: 1514 Posts: 5

2012-09-17 4:53 PM tsrf900r

what are things I would need to consider for IM Los Cabos

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 1138 Posts: 3

2012-08-22 11:58 AM dmbfan4life20

Ironman Los Cabos 2013

Started by velcromom
Views: 4030 Posts: 8

2012-05-21 1:48 PM peewee

Ironman and 1/2 Ironman training

Started by FIN16
Views: 3730 Posts: 9

2004-10-24 11:21 PM NoisyD
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.