BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-03-10 8:52 PM
in reply to: Gnoory

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
Originally posted by Gnoory

Did 500 meters crawl today, all flip-turns, no stopping, just like the sprint! And I lived to tell the tale. That is a first for me. Just needed to get that out to someone who knows what I am talking about :-)

Have a great week!

Congrats on reaping the benefits of your hard work!

2015-03-10 9:00 PM
in reply to: allan_c

User image

I learned a couple important lessons today:
1)Don't go rogue on your training plan - it;s written the way it is for a reason!. After a less than stellar week last week I was eager to really get back in the swing of things on Sunday...so I swam 2 x the distance called for in my training plan. When I got back in the pool today I really felt like I was going to drown with every lap of freestyle. I muddled through the planned distance but with more breaks than usual and a lot of breast stroke. Live and learn!
2)Pace yourself - today's work-out called for a run and a swim. The run felt fantastic. I am still indoors on the treadmill until the icy sidewalks are a thing of the past, so today I pushed up my speed. I have been using the run/walk method, and today I went from 8 minutes run/2 minutes walk cycles to 10 min run/1.5 min walks cycles. Then I finished off by taking my speed up another 0.5 mi/hr for the last 2 minutes of the run. Honestly it felt great. BUT, I am sure it contributed to how horrible the pool let. So, this is a good reminder to save something for the second (and of course ultimately 3rd) sport.

Tomorrow it is supposed to be above 50 degrees here in New England. I am working tonight, which means I can go out for nice mid-day run tomorrow when we are at peak temperature. I can't WAIT to run outside!

2015-03-10 10:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by allan_c

1)Don't go rogue on your training plan - it;s written the way it is for a reason!. After a less than stellar week last week I was eager to really get back in the swing of things on Sunday...so I swam 2 x the distance called for in my training plan. When I got back in the pool today I really felt like I was going to drown with every lap of freestyle. I muddled through the planned distance but with more breaks than usual and a lot of breast stroke. Live and learn!
2)Pace yourself - today's work-out called for a run and a swim. The run felt fantastic. I am still indoors on the treadmill until the icy sidewalks are a thing of the past, so today I pushed up my speed. I have been using the run/walk method, and today I went from 8 minutes run/2 minutes walk cycles to 10 min run/1.5 min walks cycles. Then I finished off by taking my speed up another 0.5 mi/hr for the last 2 minutes of the run. Honestly it felt great. BUT, I am sure it contributed to how horrible the pool let. So, this is a good reminder to save something for the second (and of course ultimately 3rd) sport.

Tomorrow it is supposed to be above 50 degrees here in New England. I am working tonight, which means I can go out for nice mid-day run tomorrow when we are at peak temperature. I can't WAIT to run outside!

Live and learn ! Did sound like you had a Break Through session on the run, that will be something to grow from.
Keep growing and learning, these mistakes now will help you down the road.

Other times people say push sprint races as hard as you can, risk blowing up, you will never know how fast you can be if you don't. (Of course, I have never gotten myself to push it that far when in shape/prepared - always had too much left in the tank at the end)
Others say, as you are first starting out, ease into it in the swim, it is a warm up. Steady on the bike - there is always a run at the end.

Edited by peto_primo 2015-03-10 10:18 PM
2015-03-10 10:35 PM

User image

That is excellent!! Wow I am sure you are feeling great. I still need to learn the flip turns.

Edited by nekomidori 2015-03-10 10:38 PM
2015-03-10 10:40 PM

User image

Thanks for sharing that. I have moments when I want to get all ahead of schedule. I have had a day like that in the pool and it is a bummer.
Melt snow melt.
2015-03-10 11:56 PM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Originally posted by nekomidori

Suzie, if your swim group is anything like the people I met at my camp they will welcome you. I think the journey people take on their triathlons is so individual and people respect that.(at least the people I have met). That is exciting that your husband is supportive. I think you will figure a way how to balance it all. Take a deep breathe you can do this. I think you are much stronger than you give yourself credit for. You will do great in your class. Baby steps. Celebrate each victory. 5 weeks ago I couldn't swim with my face in the water now I swim 25yd in 30 seconds.
Just imagine the possibilities.

Liz that is great news. I was wondering how your class was going. I'm glad your able to get outside to run. I was thinking of our group and how many are still stuck in the snow.
Keep up the great work!!

I got back in the pool after soccer games and dinner to finish up with another 400 yd.

Nicole
41 athlete in training, South Carolina

Thanks for the encouragement and support Nicole! Everyday I discover something new about myself it seems like lately. I went to my first swim master today, and even though I was hesitant to go all by myself, I knew that I had to do it since I posted on here that I was going to go and I had read your post to me and it helped me to stay motivated and encouraged My class went well. The coaches were very nice and gave me a lot of one on one attention. I do feel a little overwhelmed with everything that we went through, but I know in time I will be able to bring it all together.
Thanks!

2015-03-11 12:02 AM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana

Did 500 meters crawl today, all flip-turns, no stopping, just like the sprint! And I lived to tell the tale. That is a first for me. Just needed to get that out to someone who knows what I am talking about :-)

Have a great week!

SO JEALOUS!! Great job with the flip turns and non-stop 500!! A BIG high 5 to you!
2015-03-11 7:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Have a great week!

Way to go Espen on hitting the marking and almost more importantly, taking the time to enjoy it and be proud of what you did. The other thing to it is what I have talked about, now you can show up on race morning with certainty that you can and have done it before.
2015-03-11 7:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yep, that is why you always hear, "trust the plan", but even a day like today is a great learning experience. Great job on the increase run speed / time, way to go.
2015-03-11 7:05 AM
in reply to: Suzie471

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Suzie471

Suzie, if your swim group is anything like the people I met at my camp they will welcome you. I think the journey people take on their triathlons is so individual and people respect that.(at least the people I have met). That is exciting that your husband is supportive. I think you will figure a way how to balance it all. Take a deep breathe you can do this. I think you are much stronger than you give yourself credit for. You will do great in your class. Baby steps. Celebrate each victory. 5 weeks ago I couldn't swim with my face in the water now I swim 25yd in 30 seconds.

Liz that is great news. I was wondering how your class was going. I'm glad your able to get outside to run. I was thinking of our group and how many are still stuck in the snow.
Keep up the great work!!

I got back in the pool after soccer games and dinner to finish up with another 400 yd.

Nicole

Thanks for the encouragement and support Nicole! Everyday I discover something new about myself it seems like lately. I went to my first swim master today, and even though I was hesitant to go all by myself, I knew that I had to do it since I posted on here that I was going to go and I had read your post to me and it helped me to stay motivated and encouraged My class went well. The coaches were very nice and gave me a lot of one on one attention. I do feel a little overwhelmed with everything that we went through, but I know in time I will be able to bring it all together.
Thanks!

Congrats on the class but more importantly fighting through the doubt and showing up. Everyday you go in this journey, that overwhelmed feeling will be replaced with confidence and pride. Stay Strong, you got this.
2015-03-11 9:56 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Originally posted by Suzie471

Keep up the great work!!

Nicole

Thanks!

Congrats on the class but more importantly fighting through the doubt and showing up. Everyday you go in this journey, that overwhelmed feeling will be replaced with confidence and pride. Stay Strong, you got this.

Awh, I am happy to help. I feel the same way about accountability. I over analyze everything while swimming. Who am I kidding everything. Lol I thought I was more laid back. My swim coach tells me all the time to relax. I am glad everything went well. Baby steps, I write things down while in the pool and focus on one thing at a time then put it all together.
Make it a great day, today is the present that you get.

2015-03-11 12:15 PM

User image

Appreciate your remarks about yesterday's sessions!

Good (challenging) swim today....took some time to loosen up; must have been holdover from yesterday's sessions.....and my age.....

Oldest son's Garmin 405 is having problems.....so, I used that as a good excuse to order a 910xt yesterday and let him use my 405..... . Wife has a 910 and loves it; so I figured why not update my device as well. Now, I just have to learn how to use it!!!!
2015-03-11 12:55 PM

User image

, Connecticut

Have a great week!

Congrats on reaping the benefits of your hard work!

GO YOU! Congratulations!! That's awesome!
2015-03-11 2:18 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by 2NewKnees

Appreciate your remarks about yesterday's sessions!

Good (challenging) swim today....took some time to loosen up; must have been holdover from yesterday's sessions.....and my age.....

Oldest son's Garmin 405 is having problems.....so, I used that as a good excuse to order a 910xt yesterday and let him use my 405..... . Wife has a 910 and loves it; so I figured why not update my device as well. Now, I just have to learn how to use it!!!!

Cool !!! I keep thinking about picking up someone's used 910 now that the 920 is out, but hard to justify since I have already done that with the 305 and 310xt
2015-03-11 2:25 PM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Well - I have been struggling with being consistent during the week and over a span of weeks. I have had a good couple of weeks going and then this week hit. Monday I was just tired with the time change and poor sleep so I made it a rest day. That left me 6 days to get my 3 runs and 3 rides in and I have not been doubling up really yet. I got up too late yesterday to make something happen at work but I did find a way to squeeze in 30 minutes on the trainer on a cub scout tuesday night so that was a victory.
I got to work later today and do not have the time between after work and when I have to be somewhere tonight so again I was looking at not being able to get today's run in.

for the last - who knows how long my thought process was - I can't do the whole workout then forgetaboutit - let me just blow today off. but in wanting to keep the consistency, I went to the treadmill at lunch and just fit in what I could - about a 20 minute run. bumped up the pacing a little to achieve a desired result in the time available. I feel good about it. and see the possibilities in the future.
2015-03-11 3:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by peto_primo

Well - I have been struggling with being consistent during the week and over a span of weeks. I have had a good couple of weeks going and then this week hit. Monday I was just tired with the time change and poor sleep so I made it a rest day. That left me 6 days to get my 3 runs and 3 rides in and I have not been doubling up really yet. I got up too late yesterday to make something happen at work but I did find a way to squeeze in 30 minutes on the trainer on a cub scout tuesday night so that was a victory.
I got to work later today and do not have the time between after work and when I have to be somewhere tonight so again I was looking at not being able to get today's run in.

for the last - who knows how long my thought process was - I can't do the whole workout then forgetaboutit - let me just blow today off. but in wanting to keep the consistency, I went to the treadmill at lunch and just fit in what I could - about a 20 minute run. bumped up the pacing a little to achieve a desired result in the time available. I feel good about it. and see the possibilities in the future.

Great way to be determined and creative. I have 2 in scouts and it gets tricky trying to fit in my training some days. Luckily the YMCA is opened until 9pm.
I am glad you did workout instead of scraping the whole day. I am feeling the tiredness too. I am missing that extra hour.
Keep the momentum going!

Edited by nekomidori 2015-03-11 3:27 PM

2015-03-12 9:06 AM

User image

Yesterday it was high 50s here in the Boston area. After working an overnight I got to run home int he glorious, sunny warmth in my SHORTS! It feels so fantastic. There are still slow parts where I have to watch out for residual ice and snow, but it was so good to feel the promise of spring. Of course, it was a short-lived heat wave, but I will take it! It was such a good boost.
2015-03-12 8:39 PM

Suzie I wondered how your class went. Half the battle is walking threw the door. You did it, great job. After my great outdoor run Monday night my knees were achy, I iced them and went to bed to wake an hour later with the stomach flu. It has been a miserable 3 1/2 days. Finally hope to go to work tomorrow. Will try to ride the bike at the Y on Saturday and swim Sunday. Still feel very weak.

The weather is improving and that will help make us set new goals.

Also, I liked how you said you felt accountable for posting about your class, that is how I feel too. This forum does a lot to keep us all going

Liz

2015-03-12 8:43 PM

Fantastic job. 500 and flip turns. I have not even thought about throwing that in yet. Great job you should be very proud!!!
2015-03-12 10:08 PM
in reply to: Lizfuze

User image

Des Plaines, Illinois
Sorry I've been out of the loop lately...the last two weeks have been pretty stressful. I injured myself (in a non-sport related fashion) two Sundays ago and since then my whole family has been sick. Sick kid, sick husband (who needed me to handle the sick kid...reducing gym time), sick dog and now sick me. Very few workouts have happened between everyone but the husband ending up in the ER/urgent care/vet's office over the past two weeks. I'll be back once life gives me a window to climb out of. Until then, keep up with all your awesomeness!
2015-03-13 8:18 AM

User image

Southern Norway, Vest-Agder

Originally posted by nekomidori That is excellent!! Wow I am sure you are feeling great. I still need to learn the flip turns.

It has taken some time, and it's not every time I get them right. But it has been worth the effort. You feel so much cooler in the pool, and you get a bit more flow in your swim. Not needed on race day, but fun non the less. It may be difficult to teach an old dog new tricks, but it sure is fun when you master a new one :-) There are some good step-by-step progession videos on Youtube you can use, it worked for me. I struggeled with water up my nose in the start, but it went away after some time.

2015-03-13 10:18 AM

User image

I got a day of rest. I also had the day off from work. It was a day to get the house clean. I noticed how achy my hips were. I was a little slow getting started this morning. I was not looking forward to my workout. I got in the rhythm and got into the pool. I have been using the swim fins to help me straighten out my legs and get my form right. I love how fast I am. I have been told not to get reliant on them so I used them for warm up and cool down. I helped give me a mental boost about getting my 50 yd in. I then did a 50 without stopping or slowing down without the fins. I was so proud. It wasn't fast or pretty but I did one. I was working on getting in some more. That is my goal get them in. My bike was a bit slow at first then I stopped looking at my Garmin and remembered my training at the Camp and got out of my own way. 6 miles done.

Now back to work.

Have a great weekend. If you have a burst of warmth get out and bask in it.
2015-03-13 1:53 PM

User image

Originally posted by jennifersmith847

Sorry I've been out of the loop lately...the last two weeks have been pretty stressful. I injured myself (in a non-sport related fashion) two Sundays ago and since then my whole family has been sick. Sick kid, sick husband (who needed me to handle the sick kid...reducing gym time), sick dog and now sick me. Very few workouts have happened between everyone but the husband ending up in the ER/urgent care/vet's office over the past two weeks. I'll be back once life gives me a window to climb out of. Until then, keep up with all your awesomeness!

Hang in there!!! Sometimes challenges like these seem to happen all at once. It'll get better; just take care of yourself (and you family); you'll be back training before you know it!!

Edited by 2NewKnees 2015-03-13 1:55 PM
2015-03-13 1:56 PM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

, Connecticut
Hello everyone! This week I've gotten serious about training and it feels awesome. Ok, I'm totally lying. It's hard. I'm struggling to find my healthy lifestyle again. I'm struggling through the workouts but at least I'm doing them. Man, I went out and over indulged last night and felt awful today. I skipped my workout this morning but amazingly I ate well, I forced down a yogurt for breakfast when I wanted a sink full of cereal and ice cold whole milk. And I had a sensible lunch and guess what?! I just got a bike workout in. Man, I feel awful but I did it. It wasn't pretty but it's done. So thank you. Thank you all for being so determined. And for helping me stay accountable. And for giving me a place to get my back patted a little bit. Thank you!
2015-03-13 2:06 PM

User image

Weather has taken a turn for the better this week here in the mid west! Hope to get a ride in outdoors on Sunday! Won't get it in tomorrow....local St. Pat's Day Parade....taking 2 of the grand kids to the event. Always a good time for them!

Had the opportunity to see our oldest grand daughter run in an indoor track meet. On Wed she ended up in the fastest heat of the 1600 m run....lot's of fast runners in that group and she wasn't at the front when the run ended; regardless we were so proud of her running that "mile" in 6:10.....she was disappointed but her goal is to be under 6:00 soon. Old slow me can't comprehend a 6 minute mile......)

Fairly good week training this week. The knee that gave me problems a couple of weeks ago has not been a problem . Back to training on Sunday!

Edited by 2NewKnees 2015-03-14 7:53 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1047 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.