BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-03-14 11:56 AM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
I'm trying to decide how much of a wimp I am going to be today. I started having chills and muscle aches after my swim yesterday AM. By 1PM I had cancelled my afternoon meetings and was back in bed, where I remained until 8AM this AM. Today I have made it through carting the kids to their Saturday AM activities, but my stomach is still only accepting toast and tea. So, do I try to muddle through an hour on my bike trainer or just give my body the day to recover?

2015-03-14 2:58 PM
in reply to: allan_c

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by allan_c

I'm trying to decide how much of a wimp I am going to be today. I started having chills and muscle aches after my swim yesterday AM. By 1PM I had cancelled my afternoon meetings and was back in bed, where I remained until 8AM this AM. Today I have made it through carting the kids to their Saturday AM activities, but my stomach is still only accepting toast and tea. So, do I try to muddle through an hour on my bike trainer or just give my body the day to recover?

From what it sounds like and where you are at, let the body recover - get well !!!

and happy Pi Day everyone
2015-03-15 8:48 AM

User image

I hope your are feeling better. I definately think you need to rest on this one.
Take care
2015-03-15 8:52 AM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Originally posted by 2NewKnees

Weather has taken a turn for the better this week here in the mid west! Hope to get a ride in outdoors on Sunday! Won't get it in tomorrow....local St. Pat's Day Parade....taking 2 of the grand kids to the event. Always a good time for them!

Had the opportunity to see our oldest grand daughter run in an indoor track meet. On Wed she ended up in the fastest heat of the 1600 m run....lot's of fast runners in that group and she wasn't at the front when the run ended; regardless we were so proud of her running that "mile" in 6:10.....she was disappointed but her goal is to be under 6:00 soon. Old slow me can't comprehend a 6 minute mile......)

Fairly good week training this week. The knee that gave me problems a couple of weeks ago has not been a problem . Back to training on Sunday!

Wow a 6 minute mile! I am right there with you. That is fast. Definately something to be proud of, to miss it by just a small amount. Great work! I am sure it was disappointing for her though.
How cool to watch.
2015-03-15 9:42 AM
in reply to: jennifersmith847

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jennifersmith847

Sorry I've been out of the loop lately...the last two weeks have been pretty stressful. I injured myself (in a non-sport related fashion) two Sundays ago and since then my whole family has been sick. Sick kid, sick husband (who needed me to handle the sick kid...reducing gym time), sick dog and now sick me. Very few workouts have happened between everyone but the husband ending up in the ER/urgent care/vet's office over the past two weeks. I'll be back once life gives me a window to climb out of. Until then, keep up with all your awesomeness!

Jen, sorry about the family illness. The good thing about your post though is that you are still here, which makes getting back at easier.
2015-03-15 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Rest and get healthy, a lot of time people do more harm than good.

2015-03-15 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Weather has taken a turn for the better this week here in the mid west! Hope to get a ride in outdoors on Sunday! Won't get it in tomorrow....local St. Pat's Day Parade....taking 2 of the grand kids to the event. Always a good time for them!

Had the opportunity to see our oldest grand daughter run in an indoor track meet. On Wed she ended up in the fastest heat of the 1600 m run....lot's of fast runners in that group and she wasn't at the front when the run ended; regardless we were so proud of her running that "mile" in 6:10.....she was disappointed but her goal is to be under 6:00 soon. Old slow me can't comprehend a 6 minute mile......)

Fairly good week training this week. The knee that gave me problems a couple of weeks ago has not been a problem . Back to training on Sunday!

Bill that is awesome and even better that she wants more. I can also tell you that it means the world to her that you were there. It always meant so much to me when my grandparents came to my baseball games, even more so than my parents who I guess I just expected to be there.
2015-03-15 10:02 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well gang this Turtle is about to lose his freaking shell. So we leave yesterday morning for a 4 day trip before I finish out my last difficult week. I tell myself that I'm just really gonna enjoy it and run a little each day and enoy it. So last night I helped pull my daughters fishing line off something and walk back into the camper to continue cooking. Next thing I know I am in a ton of pain and my back area is killing me. I took a pill and still this morning it hurts like hell. I know this to will pass but it just really aggravates me and has screwed up what was supposed the be a relaxing fun time.
2015-03-15 3:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Southern Norway, Vest-Agder

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Well gang this Turtle is about to lose his freaking shell. So we leave yesterday morning for a 4 day trip before I finish out my last difficult week. I tell myself that I'm just really gonna enjoy it and run a little each day and enoy it. So last night I helped pull my daughters fishing line off something and walk back into the camper to continue cooking. Next thing I know I am in a ton of pain and my back area is killing me. I took a pill and still this morning it hurts like hell. I know this to will pass but it just really aggravates me and has screwed up what was supposed the be a relaxing fun time.

It seems like this is something that is going around theese days. I was supposed to go for my first outdoor bike trip today with a neighbour, but I got a text message an hour before we were supposed to meet : "Can't come, I'm lying on the kitchen floor and can't move because of my back". I later learned that the ambulance had come to get him. I feel your frustration, but as you say - this will pass. Hope you get well soon, Todd! Luckily turtles are hard nuts to crack, and you'll live to eventually win the race

Edited by Gnoory 2015-03-15 3:35 PM
2015-03-15 4:22 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Well gang this Turtle is about to lose his freaking shell. So we leave yesterday morning for a 4 day trip before I finish out my last difficult week. I tell myself that I'm just really gonna enjoy it and run a little each day and enoy it. So last night I helped pull my daughters fishing line off something and walk back into the camper to continue cooking. Next thing I know I am in a ton of pain and my back area is killing me. I took a pill and still this morning it hurts like hell. I know this to will pass but it just really aggravates me and has screwed up what was supposed the be a relaxing fun time.

Oh No! Obviously you know the drill......rest, maybe some heating and icing will help. Relax as you can....that can help as well. Enjoy your time as best you can!!!
2015-03-15 4:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Great weather today! First outdoor bike ride of the year!! Good ride; 15+ miles; easy pace; as expected lot's of folks out on the bike trail walking, running and biking. "On your left" was a common comment we made today..... . Back to the house now; bikes unloaded and carrier put away; knees feel great and the bike trainer rides helped make the saddle time uneventful!

Garmin arrived; worked fine; got all 3 sports programmed in the watch to capture my workouts. I'm proud of myself to meet the "technology challenge"....I tend to be technologically challenged.....

Happy Spring to all and Enjoy St. Pat's Day this week!! I plan to enjoy a pint or two on Tuesday!!!

Edited by 2NewKnees 2015-03-15 4:28 PM

2015-03-16 5:00 AM

User image

Great weather today! First outdoor bike ride of the year!! Good ride; 15+ miles; easy pace; as expected lot's of folks out on the bike trail walking, running and biking. "On your left" was a common comment we made today..... . Back to the house now; bikes unloaded and carrier put away; knees feel great and the bike trainer rides helped make the saddle time uneventful!

Garmin arrived; worked fine; got all 3 sports programmed in the watch to capture my workouts. I'm proud of myself to meet the "technology challenge"....I tend to be technologically challenged.....

Happy Spring to all and Enjoy St. Pat's Day this week!! I plan to enjoy a pint or two on Tuesday!!!

So glad you got outside! We are having a relapse of winter here in Boston, but at least we have had a glimpse of spring around the corner.
2015-03-16 5:02 AM

User image

Southern Norway, Vest-Agder

Originally posted by 2NewKnees Garmin arrived; worked fine; got all 3 sports programmed in the watch to capture my workouts. I'm proud of myself to meet the "technology challenge"....I tend to be technologically challenged.....

I think Garmin make great devices, but they have not been delivering good software as of the last year. I've had a LOT of issues with my Garmin Connect / Express setup after they went away from the Communicator-plugin way of syncing. It now takes 5 minutes to sync two workouts. Previously it tok a few seconds. Yesterday nothing got synced, and I got "Error syncing" on all workouts. I can't upload training programs either, like interval sessions. Sorry, just had to get it out. Fix the software, and I would be 100% happy with their products. Hope they get around to it soon.

2015-03-16 5:06 AM

User image

Well, I took the weekend off to recover from what turned out to be a pretty wicked virus. A diet of toast and tea does not provide adequate fuel for a good work-out, and my body was clearly telling me it needed some rest. I finally managed a real meal last night, so hopefully today it will be back to training. I have to hop on a flight to San Antonio this AM for work, but I am hoping to get in a run after I get to my hotel this afternoon. I'm packing my suit too, as the hotel has a pool. I hope it's actually big enough to swim some laps in the morning. Fortunately, I'll be back in the Boston area tomorrow night, so even if I can't swim I haven't missed too many days and can just rearrange my training schedule to still get in the 3 swims this week.

I have decided to go back to the beginning of last week in my training plan. My 12 week plan would have finished a few weeks before my first tri of the season anyway, so I am going to give my body the extra time to ramp up since I have been sick. I missed some major work outs this weekend, and I don't think I'll be building my base well if I just keep moving forward without completing them. It's nice to have the luxury of the extra weeks.

Hope everyone has a great week!
2015-03-16 7:36 AM

User image

Well, I took the weekend off to recover from what turned out to be a pretty wicked virus. A diet of toast and tea does not provide adequate fuel for a good work-out, and my body was clearly telling me it needed some rest. I finally managed a real meal last night, so hopefully today it will be back to training. I have to hop on a flight to San Antonio this AM for work, but I am hoping to get in a run after I get to my hotel this afternoon. I'm packing my suit too, as the hotel has a pool. I hope it's actually big enough to swim some laps in the morning. Fortunately, I'll be back in the Boston area tomorrow night, so even if I can't swim I haven't missed too many days and can just rearrange my training schedule to still get in the 3 swims this week.

I have decided to go back to the beginning of last week in my training plan. My 12 week plan would have finished a few weeks before my first tri of the season anyway, so I am going to give my body the extra time to ramp up since I have been sick. I missed some major work outs this weekend, and I don't think I'll be building my base well if I just keep moving forward without completing them. It's nice to have the luxury of the extra weeks.

Hope everyone has a great week!

Good that the virus has resolved! San Antonio is a great place!! About a year before my knees gave away we were there for a business meeting; was able to get a run in along the River Walk. If you are in the downtown area, that'd be a great place to do a run. Weather should be nice as well. Safe travels!
2015-03-16 7:43 AM
in reply to: Gnoory

User image

"I think Garmin make great devices, but they have not been delivering good software as of the last year. I've had a LOT of issues with my Garmin Connect / Express setup after they went away from the Communicator-plugin way of syncing. It now takes 5 minutes to sync two workouts. Previously it tok a few seconds. Yesterday nothing got synced, and I got "Error syncing" on all workouts. I can't upload training programs either, like interval sessions. Sorry, just had to get it out. Fix the software, and I would be 100% happy with their products. Hope they get around to it soon." Espen

Ouch! I hope they can help you resolve the issues you are having. Although the device I just received has more capabilities than my old 405, I'll probably not utilize them all and thus maybe avoid the issues you have experienced. Have been fortunate not to experience the syncing issues (at least so far.....)

2015-03-16 10:21 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Yuck

Get yourself well and that figured out, you really don't need that hanging around the rest of your life
2015-03-16 10:25 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Enjoy the new garmin - and way to get out for the first "ride" of the year.

Took advantage of the weather here too (66 on Sat and got 27 mile bike ride in - 75 on sunday and did a 50 minute trail run) I love springtime in CO
2015-03-16 10:52 AM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by peto_primo

Yuck

Get yourself well and that figured out, you really don't need that hanging around the rest of your life

O, I know exactly what it is, I have 2 bulging disk in my lower back. It is pretty much strengthing my core and staying consistent. The other option that not an option is surgery. The doctors have basically told me that staying active is the key but that i will always have flare ups just like this one. I've learned to live with but this one ticked me off cuz I was looked forward to running on this trip.
2015-03-16 11:22 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

O, I know exactly what it is, I have 2 bulging disk in my lower back. It is pretty much strengthing my core and staying consistent. The other option that not an option is surgery. The doctors have basically told me that staying active is the key but that i will always have flare ups just like this one. I've learned to live with but this one ticked me off cuz I was looked forward to running on this trip.

I thought this was a "recurring" issue - Stay strong and consistent - Flare Ups ARE NOT ALLOWED !!!
2015-03-16 1:39 PM
in reply to: Gnoory

User image

Originally posted by Gnoory

Originally posted by 2NewKnees Garmin arrived; worked fine; got all 3 sports programmed in the watch to capture my workouts. I'm proud of myself to meet the "technology challenge"....I tend to be technologically challenged.....

I think Garmin make great devices, but they have not been delivering good software as of the last year. I've had a LOT of issues with my Garmin Connect / Express setup after they went away from the Communicator-plugin way of syncing. It now takes 5 minutes to sync two workouts. Previously it tok a few seconds. Yesterday nothing got synced, and I got "Error syncing" on all workouts. I can't upload training programs either, like interval sessions. Sorry, just had to get it out. Fix the software, and I would be 100% happy with their products. Hope they get around to it soon.

I hear you there. My husband and I had a tough time syncing our Garmin after our rides as well. Grr. I am so excited you are able to get!! What a fantastic motivator!

2015-03-16 1:42 PM

User image

Oh No! Obviously you know the drill......rest, maybe some heating and icing will help. Relax as you can....that can help as well. Enjoy your time as best you can!!!

Ouch! I hope you start to feel better soon. I have had my back go out before. Ouch that hurts. What a bummer.
2015-03-16 1:55 PM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

I had a good workout today. I got off work early today and was able to get it all done in a few hours with a short break for lunch.
950 yd swim, My swim coach added in some pulls. Wow that needs some work. I had a good run. 2.48 mile run in 36 minutes. I am getting there. I am able to run longer now. Which is exciting. However I noticed that my jog time has slowed down so I will need to watch that.

My Tri Camp Coach and my swim coach say I am ready for the sprint in April. So I will enter this week with my children. There Tri is on Saturday and mine is on Sunday. I have been thinking about this since the Tri camp, I biked 16 miles then ran 3 miles. I know I can do it. My goal is to finish. This is going to be a test for other Sprints. How funny after 8 weeks of training I am using a sprint as a trial run.(no pun intended).

I also lost 3 lbs this last week. I have been eating and staying hydrated. I wish I had done the tape measure at the same time but I was running to get to church. I think it is from the tri camp and pushing myself more. I am getting in my fitted t-shirts and having some space in my clothes. How exciting! Perfect time for spring and of course summer. I have been feeling achy if I work out later in the afternoon. I am not sure if my body is craving the workout or it is just my muscles building but after the workout I feel much better.

May you all be able to get some Sun and hopefully some of the spring we are feeling down here in South Carolina. ( I hear MA actually broke a record for how much snow you all got this year. Might as well break a record if you are still in snow.)

Nicole
Athlete in training Week 8
Sprint Triathlon, Anderson YMCA April 12th
Go strong or go home!
2015-03-16 11:56 PM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Originally posted by nekomidori

I had a good workout today. I got off work early today and was able to get it all done in a few hours with a short break for lunch.
950 yd swim, My swim coach added in some pulls. Wow that needs some work. I had a good run. 2.48 mile run in 36 minutes. I am getting there. I am able to run longer now. Which is exciting. However I noticed that my jog time has slowed down so I will need to watch that.

My Tri Camp Coach and my swim coach say I am ready for the sprint in April. So I will enter this week with my children. There Tri is on Saturday and mine is on Sunday. I have been thinking about this since the Tri camp, I biked 16 miles then ran 3 miles. I know I can do it. My goal is to finish. This is going to be a test for other Sprints. How funny after 8 weeks of training I am using a sprint as a trial run.(no pun intended).

I also lost 3 lbs this last week. I have been eating and staying hydrated. I wish I had done the tape measure at the same time but I was running to get to church. I think it is from the tri camp and pushing myself more. I am getting in my fitted t-shirts and having some space in my clothes. How exciting! Perfect time for spring and of course summer. I have been feeling achy if I work out later in the afternoon. I am not sure if my body is craving the workout or it is just my muscles building but after the workout I feel much better.

May you all be able to get some Sun and hopefully some of the spring we are feeling down here in South Carolina. ( I hear MA actually broke a record for how much snow you all got this year. Might as well break a record if you are still in snow.)

Nicole
Athlete in training Week 8
Sprint Triathlon, Anderson YMCA April 12th
Go strong or go home!

Great Job Nicole!! You have been doing a fantastic job and what a great motivator to hear that you are so ready to ROCK that sprint tri in April. That must be a fantastic feeling!!
2015-03-17 12:06 AM
in reply to: Suzie471

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Had a good week last week and I was able to finish it out strong on the weekend. I worked a 16hr shift Friday night into Saturday morning and went right from work to meet my running group. We did a 3.14 mile run in honor of Pi Day and since I did not realize Pi Day fell on Saturday, I actually overbooked myself for a Pi run at 9:26am that morning (Pi=3.1415926..get it?) I was tired but got re-energized when I met my "Bestie" for our 5k Pi run. I was tired when we were done but felt good and strong. I actually took a day off of training on Sunday and spent the whole time with my hubby

Back at it Monday with a swim and a run. So far the week looks good. Hoping the weather will hold and I can get my bike outside this weekend.

Have a great week everyone! Keep posting, love reading how everyone is doing and your motivation is contagious for me
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1054 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.