BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-03-23 12:17 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
Ugh....disappointing swim today; cut it short rather than further aggravate my left shoulder (left shoulder blade area to be more precise); I felt this a bit during Friday's swim; then after our ride on Saturday was more noticeable; felt fine this morning after resting yesterday; took time to stretch before starting my swim; used buoy in the early portion of the swim but no luck in loosening up; did get in 200 yds of kick board time (kick board stinks..... ); Will let the shoulder rest remainder of today and tomorrow. Will see how it goes on Wednesday.....

Deadline for lower price of another Sprint I'm thinking about is tomorrow night......still need to just make a decision but the shoulder is giving me second thoughts. Regardless, if I don't sign up now, can do later and just eat the little more cost.....or, since it's close by, go watch to see how it goes since I've not seen a Tri in person.....

2015-03-23 1:11 PM
in reply to: Suzie471

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by Suzie471

I'm worried about the weather though, how do you go from swim to the bike when it's cold? I was just planning on wearing my Tri suite for everything but the weather here isn't looking to good. Today it's only in the 30's and although it made for a good run, I'm thinking it's going to be cold on the bike and if I'm wet from the swim that will not help. Is it bad to put layers on over your Tri suite for at least the bike ride?

It is not bad to add layers if the conditions dictate.
Todd's suggestion of a jacket is great,
another option I used one time - I bought a long sleeve "C9" shirt from Target - but I bought it 2 sizes small so it wouldn't flap so much. It went on decently in transition even though I was wet. I also added my "lobster claw" cycling gloves. That day had been in the 40's for the swim and early bike.

If it is really cold and you don't care about transition times - maybe you could swing through the locker room and do a full change to dry clothes and appropriate layers. It wouldn't be the common practice, but not unheard of.
2015-03-23 1:13 PM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Well got 3 runs in last week but only 2 rides. was just a struggle. Looking to get back this week - and now, my Sunday Afternoons have opened up again.
2015-03-23 3:35 PM
in reply to: jennifersmith847

User image

Originally posted by jennifersmith847

Hi guys...so my husband convinced me to get a new bike today to gear up for my "official" training start on Monday. He said I'd make the local papers if I attempted a triathlon on my current bike, which he terms a 10 year old Divvy Bike (Chicago's answer to bike sharing: https://www.divvybikes.com/). (It's not...it's a Trek Hybrid...complete with flowers and a basket. But I have to admit the style is pretty similar.) I was pretty reluctant but he took me to his friend's bike shop and it was all over. I lost all track of price tags and will probably be declaring bankruptcy at some point soon but I am in absolute love. I think it's going to meet all of my requirements both for the Tri and for my life. It's a custom Soma double cross. I bought knobby tires for training (I'll be mostly on gravel trails) and will go back for road tires in June. I would add a photo if I knew how...but for now trust me, it's sweet. An absolute perfect fit. The bike shop tailors to women and the owner spent about 3 hours with me this afternoon. Amazing! I'm hoping to get out on the trail tomorrow morning. If I don't check in after the inaugural ride, it's because I just kept going ;-)

EDIT: The ride was terrific, but of all the things Spinning doesn't train you for, I'd have to say riding face first into 40 degree 20mph wind was the most obvious.

How exciting!! I can't wait to see a picture of your new bike when you figure it out. I admit it is different. Also you don't have to be concerned with traffic, bumps, or brakes. That is great you got so much attention. I am sure that your new bike is awesome. Enjoy!
2015-03-23 3:42 PM

User image

Originally posted by nekomidori

I had a good swim on Wednesday but got caught up in life with forgotten appointments and then a migraine with aura took care of the rest of my training time, so I lost out on my run. I was luckily already scheduled for a massage which helped to make it all better. I had my day off yesterday and now I am back. I had the day off from work and have a late start on my workout. I am a little confused on my training plan now that I am competing in a few weeks. I need a week off before the race. I did schedule a massage that week. How do I proceed from here?? Do I start running a bit more longer run times and less walking (right now I can run for 1/2 mile). I know I can do the 3 mile run so that isn't really the problem I guess. I am riding between 6-8 miles a week so I guess I better up my miles on the bike. I did 16 miles in the morning and 12 miles in the afternoon of the tri camp so I know I can do the miles. Of course that was inside on the trainer. My current schedule says to bike 10 miles on the weekend and only 6 today. I guess I need to find another route. I was biking on the road for only a few blocks to get to the trail I do that is 7 miles round trip. That is nice because then I don't have to worry about traffic so much.

My swim coach says I am good with my swim just keep working on my speed. I am now working on decreasing my arm strokes to increase my speed. I did pulls this week and learned that with just my arms I get across the pool faster than with the kick board. I did 25 yd pulls in 30 Seconds my legs are 38-42 with the kick board for 25 yd.

I think I will keep going with my swim training, bump up my time of running vs walking just a bit, and bump up my mileage on the bike.
My race is 300 yd swim, 12 mile bike, and 5k which is less than the Sprint in August I was looking at.
This is April 12th that I compete. I am also looking at a sprint July 11th 250 meter pool, 16 mile bike, 5 k run. I have to see about family vacationing at that time. Then the main sprint I was looking at was Aug 23rd 4 meter pool, 15 mile bike, 5 k run. My husband wants me to do a bike race this fall with my son and him, the Gran Fondo Hincapie . The hills are crazy, so I am a little nervous now about them. I will have to see. It is not until October 24th there is a 15, 50,or 80 mile race. That is a big decision.

I need to just put my head down stop talking and get to working. I'm off to the pool.
Have a great day.
Nicole
Athlete in training
My goals in my sprint are 1 have fun, 2 cross the finish without help, 3 not need medical assistance after the race. (Inspired By Karen a 3 time Ironman triathlete I met at the pool on Wednesday.)

Great job Nicole! Sounds like you are so ready for your Tri!! I must be a real wimp. I'm having a hard time to motivate myself to get my bike outside and ride. Run... Yes but I just can't bring myself to ride in 30 degrees weather. I think I need to invest in warmer riding clothes. Keep up the Awesome work!!

Don't be so hard on yourself I am riding and running in 50's-75 degree temperature. I wouldn't want to exercise in 30 degree weather either. I would say work out inside until you can get outside.
Just keep going.
2015-03-23 3:58 PM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

This past week has been bumpy with training. I missed my run on Saturday. I got to bed to late Friday and then had an all day commitment with Scouts left me a little wiped out. So Sunday I did a double work out. 10 miles on the bike, treadmill and then got in a run. It was sprinkling, I was feeling like just go out and do a short workout. But then I did 2.4 miles. I was a bit tired but and wanted to quit but I kept going and was glad I did. My legs were feeling quite tired.

Today I got into the pool and did 925 yd (swim coach had to reschedule). I could feel how tired my legs were during my kick board drill. I was proud I did 150 yd straight. It wasn't pretty but I got it done, Freestyle, side, and back stroke.
I decided to walk the dog to my trail that I do with my bike. She was eager to run and kept the pace fast even walking. Once on the trail she had me running an 8-9 minute mile. She was a slave driver. Lol We did 3.4 miles in 52 minutes. She could probably have kept on going. I think I will take her out running again.
I did learn that my shoes are not a good fit for me. I will need to return them. Bummer. The left shoe puts too much pressure on the ball of my foot. I was wondering why my feet were feeling so beat up after my workouts.

I have also been having some pain in my hip. In the fall the Dr. said it was Bursitis. I'm not sure if that is really it or he was just reaching for straws. Luckily it doesn't hurt while I'm working out. Just when I get up from sitting.

2015-03-23 8:52 PM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
I can't believe that we got SNOW AGAIN!!! I just said to my husband on Sunday that no matter what I am getting my bike outside for a ride next weekend and now we get snow again? Unbelievable! I just hope by Saturday that the snow is gone and it warms a bit. April 18th is coming up fast and I haven't been outside yet on my bike since I got clips for my shoes. I really want to practice a little outside so that I am not falling off in front of everyone at my sprint. We are in Spring and it snowed..all I can do is laugh,LOL!!
2015-03-23 8:55 PM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Originally posted by nekomidori

This past week has been bumpy with training. I missed my run on Saturday. I got to bed to late Friday and then had an all day commitment with Scouts left me a little wiped out. So Sunday I did a double work out. 10 miles on the bike, treadmill and then got in a run. It was sprinkling, I was feeling like just go out and do a short workout. But then I did 2.4 miles. I was a bit tired but and wanted to quit but I kept going and was glad I did. My legs were feeling quite tired.

Today I got into the pool and did 925 yd (swim coach had to reschedule). I could feel how tired my legs were during my kick board drill. I was proud I did 150 yd straight. It wasn't pretty but I got it done, Freestyle, side, and back stroke.
I decided to walk the dog to my trail that I do with my bike. She was eager to run and kept the pace fast even walking. Once on the trail she had me running an 8-9 minute mile. She was a slave driver. Lol We did 3.4 miles in 52 minutes. She could probably have kept on going. I think I will take her out running again.
I did learn that my shoes are not a good fit for me. I will need to return them. Bummer. The left shoe puts too much pressure on the ball of my foot. I was wondering why my feet were feeling so beat up after my workouts.

I have also been having some pain in my hip. In the fall the Dr. said it was Bursitis. I'm not sure if that is really it or he was just reaching for straws. Luckily it doesn't hurt while I'm working out. Just when I get up from sitting.

Great Job in the pool!! I think I need to borrow your dog to help me with my run What a great running partner that you have!
2015-03-23 10:38 PM

User image

Des Plaines, Illinois
We got snow again too! I'm beyond bummed. Brand new bike and I was back to spin class this afternoon. BOOOO! I think (here at least) it's supposed to really warm up on Wed. and then dip back down for one more spin through 30 degrees. I hope the snow melts. I have to be on my bike both days this weekend (because I refuse to pedal to nowhere with this sweet new ride hanging out in my garage) so if I need to do it in a ski mask and snow pants, so be it. I hope you warm up too...this whole training thing is much more pleasant when you can actually get somewhere.

I can't believe that we got SNOW AGAIN!!! I just said to my husband on Sunday that no matter what I am getting my bike outside for a ride next weekend and now we get snow again? Unbelievable! I just hope by Saturday that the snow is gone and it warms a bit. April 18th is coming up fast and I haven't been outside yet on my bike since I got clips for my shoes. I really want to practice a little outside so that I am not falling off in front of everyone at my sprint. We are in Spring and it snowed..all I can do is laugh,LOL!!
2015-03-24 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yall just hang in their a few more weeks and the snow will be all gone and you can really get down to business.

I started back at it yesterday and got in a nice and steady 10.5 mile ride. I can always tell when I've been away for a while because my average HR is sky high. The good thing is that I got back at it and know it and everything else will improve.

Happy Tuesday to everyone!
2015-03-24 11:05 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Well, since I have gotten my 3 runs in each week (3 weeks worth) - al be it not always at the time/distance planned - this is "recovery week". I think 2 of my runs will be rather slow - maybe even 3, but last night I went out with AJ and got in 2 miles. Hoping to get out with JJ tonight and do the same thing.

Bike - still needs some work and building - right now it still seems to be more about what I can fit in than what it on the training plan. April is coming and then it is 16 weeks to my Century + - and if training goes well first sprint tri of the year.

2015-03-24 3:01 PM

User image

Hang in there snow bound people. So sad.
I feel guilty posting this but I got off work early and got in an 11 mile ride before the kids got home from school. So exciting. I also got in 3/4 mile walk today with the girls I nanny. I consider that a stretch of my legs. My dog went too and she couldn't understand why we were going so slow. Lol. I know she would love to run with anyone that would take her. I am going to get in some good stretches today as I have some twinges going on. Probably all the upping of extra work.

Keep pushing even if it is on a treadmill or trainer.
2015-03-25 8:04 AM

User image

Off to the pool here in just about an hour. Shoulder seems just "ok" this am; I'll know for sure once I get in the water. Have decided just to do some easy laps rather than one of the aggressive workouts John sent on Sunday. So, more to come....

It's spring break for the schools here this week; we'll have the 9 yr old granddaughter and 7(nearly 8) yr old grandson stay over tonight! Dinner out then fun and games.... .
2015-03-25 11:07 AM

User image

Swim went fine; shoulder felt/feels pretty good; kept the session to 1200 yards which included a 200 yd kick set; still learning how to properly use the 910....

I hope to be able to get back at it Friday morning. I held off registering for that second event last night; will see how the shoulder responds Friday and then determine if I'll do that one; only a $5.00 difference from early registration....oh well.....

Looks like a good week for training based on everyone's postings. Weather here continues to be up and down....will be crappy here until the early/mid part of next week.
2015-03-25 11:36 AM

User image

Des Plaines, Illinois
So...will I just be perpetually sore and exhausted for the next 11.5 weeks...or is this specific to week 1? I'm not necessarily complaining...just curious and wondering if I need a better stretching routine and/or better vitamins or something...

Also...does anyone have opinions about the effectiveness/necessity of "one arm drills"?
2015-03-25 12:07 PM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

Jenn,
I would say you get into the hang of it. It is a certain level of soreness that your body gets used to. If it is more then it means there is muscle building going on. I have tried to get in a good solid 7 hrs of sleep for sure, drink my water and for me I make sure I eat a solid breakfast before my workouts that are double. Today I had a protein shake with creatine to help rebuild my legs, after my workouts were done.
Getting into a routine has helped a lot for me. When I pack my gym bag, when I get dressed, where I put my things when I am done. It helps on the days I'm not in the mood to keep on going. My body goes into muscle memory. Lol. You will get your own routine. Stretching helps a lot. I stretch 10-15 seconds (the muscles I am going to stretch)before I workout, after when the muscles are warm after the workout I stretch a little but longer. Good luck.
Nicole
Can't believe but it is week 9

2015-03-25 12:18 PM
in reply to: #5103428

User image

I'm totally feeling the extra push on my workouts. I can feel my body changing. I used some protein powder yesterday and today to help with that.
My husband ordered my Tri suit yesterday!!! Ok so I guess I better just get to work and sign up already. I started to 3 times and got side tracked. Lol. How fun.
I got in my swim this morning, did my warm up and then thought I will swimm 300 yd to see how it goes. I figured it out 6 laps . Ok all set then I swam and it wasn't to bad. I came up to the side of the pool and realized I had only swum 3 laps. Agh, so I will try again on Friday. It felt good to push but also a little scary because it wasn't all freestyle. It took me 5 minutes to swim.
Then I got a snack, changed, stretched, and got on the treadmill. I forgot my earbuds my body was not happy.
I paused rubbed my quads stretched some more and was able to keep on going. My hubby had a break in his day and came by to give me a pep talk. Hard to believe next week is my taper week then the one after that is nothing but a massage. Then show time!
I have adjusted my sneakers and then are fine so far.( I wear a lift in my left shoe and it might have been too much change, so I took it out)
2015-03-25 1:14 PM

User image

, Connecticut

We got snow again too! I'm beyond bummed. Brand new bike and I was back to spin class this afternoon. BOOOO! I think (here at least) it's supposed to really warm up on Wed. and then dip back down for one more spin through 30 degrees. I hope the snow melts. I have to be on my bike both days this weekend (because I refuse to pedal to nowhere with this sweet new ride hanging out in my garage) so if I need to do it in a ski mask and snow pants, so be it. I hope you warm up too...this whole training thing is much more pleasant when you can actually get somewhere.

I've been a little out of the loop but I think i missed the photo and name of your new ride. PLEASE post pictures so we can all covet your new purchase and share what you have named him/her. I'm desperate to take mine out on the road too, hoping for this weekend for it to actually get some dirt on the wheels!

I had my 5k on Sunday, finished in 31.40 which is pretty good for me. i had some left in the tank and pushed it the last 1/4 mile to the finish line. Then I was very winded. but i feel proud. Its a great baseline time for me and something to work toward. i plan on doing two different runs each week, maybe 3 actually. one a slower longer run, goaling to up to 4.5 miles and then a second that i'll incorporate intervals to try to get faster. i have no idea how fast i am on a bike, so that should be fun to try out soon! can't wait to hear about these april tris! the season is approaching and it's so exciting!
2015-03-25 3:46 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

So...will I just be perpetually sore and exhausted for the next 11.5 weeks...or is this specific to week 1? I'm not necessarily complaining...just curious and wondering if I need a better stretching routine and/or better vitamins or something...

the soreness will go away as you get into consistency in the routine and are not "stretching" or pushing yourself every workout. Tiredness or fatigue may linger a little longer. Better stretching and better vitamins would be good to though
2015-03-26 8:25 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Originally posted by Smiley9188

I've been a little out of the loop but I think i missed the photo and name of your new ride. PLEASE post pictures so we can all covet your new purchase and share what you have named him/her. I'm desperate to take mine out on the road too, hoping for this weekend for it to actually get some dirt on the wheels!

I had my 5k on Sunday, finished in 31.40 which is pretty good for me. i had some left in the tank and pushed it the last 1/4 mile to the finish line. Then I was very winded. but i feel proud. Its a great baseline time for me and something to work toward. i plan on doing two different runs each week, maybe 3 actually. one a slower longer run, goaling to up to 4.5 miles and then a second that i'll incorporate intervals to try to get faster. i have no idea how fast i am on a bike, so that should be fun to try out soon! can't wait to hear about these april tris! the season is approaching and it's so exciting!

Way to go on your 5K!! That is exciting.
2015-03-26 8:34 PM

User image

It is real now. I am now a member of USA Triathlon and I am now signed up for my event. I begin my taper week on Monday. I meet with my swim coach on Saturday so Friday, I will bike, then run and see how that feels. Today has been my off day.
I am excited my tri kit shows up this weekend. Fingers crossed. Swimming longer times without stops has made it all feel much more real. I am getting a touch nervous but make it through. I just hope we don't get some really cold weather come in during the race.
Have a good night

2015-03-26 9:45 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Way to go - join USAT and starting taper !!

I got wet today - noting much did 500 yds while we had a family outing at a rec center with an indoor water park.
The first 25 was probably the best out of all of it. Fastest and fewest strokes across. But I ended up doing 7 x50 threw in 1 x 100 and finished with one last 50.

Someday I will actually get into a 25yd/m pool on a regular basis but until then I just have to work on the other stuff.....

Have a great Friday and weekend everybody - and for those following March Madness -- GO BADGERS !!!
2015-03-27 10:00 AM

User image

, Tennessee
I really haven't fallen off the face of the earth and I haven't deserted all of you Turtles!! The new job has just really drained me and took control of my life for a few weeks. For three weeks I didn't work out, diet went to crap, didn't even get in my minimum water every. I felt terrible the entire time. Have tried to get back at it this week - feels like starting all over - couldn't even jog a mile. I was doing great before the job change and had even decided i might try my first tri in April. I have decided to forego that attempt at this point and will shoot for a mini-sprint in May. I knew my training would take a hit, but didn't quite expect this. Life happens doesn't it.

I have thoroughly enjoyed catching up on the posts. You guys are really kicking tail. Everyone is doing awesome. Nicole you are really on a roll! You go girl! Looking forward to getting back to a routine (with life and training) and keeping up with everyone's progress better.

Have a great weekend everyone!
2015-03-27 2:12 PM

User image

Swim went ok today. Felt the shoulder late in the session; decided not to overdo it in the pool today; 5 x 100's were my longest segments today; had wanted to do some longer ones but I'm still learning the nuances of the new watch.......

Once I got back to the house I changed back into my swim suit and hopped on the bike for about a half hour just to see what that'd be like; that darn suit was cold!!! After the spin went directly to the treadmill for a brisk walk. So, all the disciplines in my training today - that's a first. Now to make a final decision on that sprint on 4/25 which is 2 weeks ahead of the one I'm already registered for....will see how it goes the remainder of the weekend and then I'll finalize.

Weather still too darn cold and windy here for an outdoor ride.....hopefully the forecast is correct for next week.
2015-03-27 2:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

"I had my 5k on Sunday, finished in 31.40 which is pretty good for me. i had some left in the tank and pushed it the last 1/4 mile to the finish line. Then I was very winded. but i feel proud. Its a great baseline time for me and something to work toward. i plan on doing two different runs each week, maybe 3 actually. one a slower longer run, goaling to up to 4.5 miles and then a second that i'll incorporate intervals to try to get faster. i have no idea how fast i am on a bike, so that should be fun to try out soon! can't wait to hear about these april tris! the season is approaching and it's so exciting! "

Colleen.........Congrats on a great run!!!!

Edited by 2NewKnees 2015-03-27 2:15 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1055 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.