BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-04-30 6:37 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
Originally posted by Smiley9188

I think I'm up next! Tingles thinking about it. May 10 (happy Mother's Day to me!) I have a sprint Tri- short 250 yard pool swim, 9.3 mile outdoor bike and 3.2 mile outdoor run. I'm on vacation this week in sunny Florida (from ct) with the family so the 'tapering' has begun! Ha. I'll run another day here. And maybe bike on a stationary. Then I will prob swim on Monday or Tuesday. Run 2.5 Wednesday morning with friends and then stretch the rest of the week and focus on hydrating. (No booze)Crazy! I feel good. Very excited.

Great work bill! Suzy and Nicole, you are awesome. Nicole hope your hip feels better soon.

You will be awesome!!! Enjoy the "tapering".....

2015-04-30 10:44 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Well - April is done and no where near what I had hoped for. Rode 179 miles and ran 16. Thought I ran more than that. Guess was just too distracted the beginning of the month.

On to May Reset the Goal - ride 300 run 50. Lets see if I can make it.
2015-05-01 8:56 AM
in reply to: #5111807

User image

I'm excited to hear how your race goes. The hardest part was the tapering, (I think I tapered too long though.). Good luck!!

I am on the road to Auburn right now. I had packed up all my stuff, hoping to get some swimming in the hotel pool(probably a tiny one) and get in a little ride with my hubby before his ride day. We woke up this morning and my husband asks do you want to ride too? Heck yes, so I am now going to enter and ride 22 miles. With a quick break in there for a snack. I'm glad I rested yesterday. A year ago my husband was thinking of bringing Alex our 11yr old and today he is bringing me instead. Yeah I have come a long way. Ok enough about me.

Have a great weekend!!!!
A few thinks I think about when life gets difficult.
1 I'm not pizza I can't make everyone happy.
2 What others think of me is none of my business.

Nicole
2015-05-01 7:06 PM
in reply to: #5112280

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Have a Great Ride Nicole!! Jealous that you and your hubby are doing a ride together. I keep hoping that one of these days my hubby will want to ride with me. I know if I keep bugging him about it that he will never want to so I just try to be supportive when I can. He has recently been trying to ride on the trainer. Unfortunately he has been "sedentary" for so long that it is really hard for him, and he gives in about 10mins. I keep telling him that it takes time and that he can do it, just take it slow. One of these days I hope that he will want to try riding outside
2015-05-01 7:45 PM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

Originally posted by peto_primo

Well - April is done and no where near what I had hoped for. Rode 179 miles and ran 16. Thought I ran more than that. Guess was just too distracted the beginning of the month.

On to May Reset the Goal - ride 300 run 50. Lets see if I can make it.

Good April!! Some stretch goals you have set for May!! Best of luck!!!!
2015-05-02 5:25 AM
in reply to: Suzie471

User image

Originally posted by Suzie471

Have a Great Ride Nicole!! Jealous that you and your hubby are doing a ride together. I keep hoping that one of these days my hubby will want to ride with me. I know if I keep bugging him about it that he will never want to so I just try to be supportive when I can. He has recently been trying to ride on the trainer. Unfortunately he has been "sedentary" for so long that it is really hard for him, and he gives in about 10mins. I keep telling him that it takes time and that he can do it, just take it slow. One of these days I hope that he will want to try riding outside

Thanks Suzie, It sounds like your husband was like me. I never knew that on the trainer it takes a bit to warm up and then I'm ok. The first 5 minutes are hard for me. I hope he comes around. My hubby will start at 830 and I start at 1030 and then the mass of the group is supposed to catch up with the slower later bunch. There are supposed to be about 900 people riding today. Yesterday I did 7 1/2 miles in downtown Auburn. Wearing my new shoes that I had never taken outside. I didn't fall but almost. So many stop lights in town. 22 miles should be interesting. It will be fun I guess we ride as a big group. I have never done that so I am looking forward to it.

Have a great one.

2015-05-02 3:06 PM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

I had a good ride and met some people. 19 miles in 1 hr 33 min. There were rolling hills, beautiful weather all I could smell was the honeysuckle. There were over 900 people riding. I rode with the second batch. I tried to keep up with the group I met but was not possible. I rode a good ride for me and it felt good. I had to work hard on the hills but I never got off and walked it. I had pain in my foot. I don't know what that was about and a slight cramp in my calf. Then around mile 13 I got an aura for a migraine. My vision was a bit off and had no perifrial vision. I stayed calm and off in the bike lane. Luckily after mile 18 my vision cleared up. It was a bit scary. It goes to show you that you have to be prepared for everything not just muscle aches and pains or bike malfunctions. I got to see some celebrities up close. Lance Armstrong, Bo Jackson and few others. A great day. I think we will do a ride in Atlanta for Diabetes. May 30th. It has different lengths and I am thinking my boys can ride too. The shortest one is 14 miles.

Now time for a shower.

Nicole

(IMG_3758[1].JPG)

(IMG_3759[1].JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_3758[1].JPG (150KB - 3 downloads)
IMG_3759[1].JPG (184KB - 2 downloads)
2015-05-02 8:08 PM
in reply to: #5112458

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Great pics Nicole it looks like you had beautiful weather for your ride. Great job at getting those miles in! I love the idea of you and your hubby including the kids in your next ride. What a great way to getting some family time in.

Got a good 4 mile run in this morning. Unfortunately I had to be at work all day for a credentialing class and tomorrow to. Of course it's beautiful outside and I have to be cooped up inside. Although on Monday my sister and I are leaving for some hiking and camping for a couple of nights, to Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio. Hoping the weather holds out

Have a great week everyone!!
2015-05-03 8:46 AM
in reply to: #5112585

User image

, Connecticut
Nice ride Nicole! Sounds amazing!

Last day of vacation for me today! It's hard to believe that this time next week i will have completed my first full length sprint tri! I have a sore throat, congestion and tightness in my chest which I am hoping goes away quickly! I need to practice my transitions this week, I think after every shower I'll practice dressing while wet. Since it's an indoor swim and I don't yet have my tri suit I'm biking and running in my regular clothes (on top of my suit suit and sports bra) which requires putting on my knee length pants after the swim. My mentor suggested just dressing in what I've been practicing in. I'll also go swim with my sports bra this week for the first and only time. For how much I've read about tris I must confess I feel really under prepared for the micro details! Like, do I do flip turns? Or should I skip them since they use up so much energy? I'm swimming Zig zag across the pool so it's a bit strange. I'll figure it out though. Anyway, I'm 7 days out and pretty excited!
2015-05-04 5:31 AM

User image

Nice ride Nicole! Sounds amazing!

Last day of vacation for me today! It's hard to believe that this time next week i will have completed my first full length sprint tri! I have a sore throat, congestion and tightness in my chest which I am hoping goes away quickly! I need to practice my transitions this week, I think after every shower I'll practice dressing while wet. Since it's an indoor swim and I don't yet have my tri suit I'm biking and running in my regular clothes (on top of my suit suit and sports bra) which requires putting on my knee length pants after the swim. My mentor suggested just dressing in what I've been practicing in. I'll also go swim with my sports bra this week for the first and only time. For how much I've read about tris I must confess I feel really under prepared for the micro details! Like, do I do flip turns? Or should I skip them since they use up so much energy? I'm swimming Zig zag across the pool so it's a bit strange. I'll figure it out though. Anyway, I'm 7 days out and pretty excited!

How exciting!!!! It sounds like you are ready. Remember to just trust in all of your training. My swim coach is always telling me just to relax. You will do great. I am excited to hear it all goes for you. I hope all of your symptoms go away. You sound more prepared than I was. I think there is always more we can train for but believe me it is easier than you think. The anticipation of the race gets your mental game all pyched out. The mental part is the harder part.
You can so totally do this.
2015-05-04 5:34 AM
in reply to: Suzie471

User image

Originally posted by Suzie471

Great pics Nicole it looks like you had beautiful weather for your ride. Great job at getting those miles in! I love the idea of you and your hubby including the kids in your next ride. What a great way to getting some family time in.

Got a good 4 mile run in this morning. Unfortunately I had to be at work all day for a credentialing class and tomorrow to. Of course it's beautiful outside and I have to be cooped up inside. Although on Monday my sister and I are leaving for some hiking and camping for a couple of nights, to Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio. Hoping the weather holds out

Have a great week everyone!!

Have a great trip out in nature. It will be great even if it does rain. Enjoy.

2015-05-04 12:27 PM

User image

Congrats on a super outing over the weekend!!! Nice pics!!!
2015-05-04 12:38 PM

User image

Crazy morning here.....trip details to wrap up; mechanical problems at the pool had the north pool closed - lap pool down to 4 lanes for lap swimming; the other 2 were for the usual classes; was able to get in 1200 yards in about 30 minutes; used today to get an idea of times I might expect this coming Saturday at my event in Oxford, Oh (and the dreaded 50 meter pool....... ).

Did a broken 500 (5 100 yard segments with a quick breath after each 100)....13:07 - felt ok about that; my second segment was a 450 yard swim broken into 250 yards; 100 yards;100 yards.....did this segment in 10:35 which should be around the time I can get in on Saturday. The 3rd segement was a combo of 100 yard swim and 150 yards with pull buoy.

My Tri Shorts and Tri Top arrived Friday; wore both during my training ride Saturday. All should be just fine. Also purchased a couple pairs of Lock Laces for my shoes. Testing a pair out on an old set of Brooks....can already tell they are great!! So, no lace tying in Transition on Saturday.....

Starting to get mentally prepared for this Saturday......hope I can pull it off after only 2 weeks since that first sprint....I guess I know more now than I did with the first one which is good. Trying not to put too much pressure on myself......

Best to all!!
2015-05-04 1:23 PM

User image

, Connecticut
whoa! Go you! I didn't realize you had a race coming up again so soon! Go Bill!

Well I do not have strep throat, which sucks bc it means i need to let this beast of a virus run it's course. BOO! I'm tired but doing ok. i am just going to sleep lots this week and hydrate. sigh.
2015-05-05 5:47 AM
in reply to: #5112645

User image

Bill you sound like your ready. The lace locks sound like a great idea. I think I may get some too my transition out of the pool was long before.

Colleen don't forget to get your vitamins in. I hope your feeling better before this weekend.

Good luck both of you!!
2015-05-05 7:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Suzie, I love that picture!

Well, I had a mild set back early last week when I tweaked my back at work, but luckly it is almost all the way back to normal already and I know it was not caused by the workouts I did the week before, which is really good for me. I spent this past weekend in Dallas with my daughter and wife at a State Robitics Championship. I am really glad that there is stuff out there like this for kids that might not have much athletic ability or desire to play sports. I had one lady tell me that she was having a hard time keeping her son from getting upset when their robot would mess up, and i said that to them it's no different than a baseball player being disappointed when he strikes out or a wide receiver when he drops a pass. After saying it I realized that it was probably the first time that I looked at these competions the same way my daughter does and I really took in the event. They were able to finish in 18th out of 71 and this was their first time at state and their first year competing

Colleen the day of days is coming up, I know that you will do great.

By the way, I'm really enjoying all of the pictures, Nicole's made be want to go out and ride.

2015-05-05 11:28 AM

User image

whoa! Go you! I didn't realize you had a race coming up again so soon! Go Bill!

Well I do not have strep throat, which sucks bc it means i need to let this beast of a virus run it's course. BOO! I'm tired but doing ok. i am just going to sleep lots this week and hydrate. sigh.

Hope that virus is wrapping up so you will be well for your race this weekend.....

Thanks!! Yeah, the race this Saturday is actually the one I signed up for first earlier this year; the one I did on 4/25 came to my attention a few weeks ago; decided to do that one for some "practice"....must admit am glad I did....

You will do well!!!
2015-05-05 11:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by nekomidori

Bill you sound like your ready. The lace locks sound like a great idea. I think I may get some too my transition out of the pool was long before.

Colleen don't forget to get your vitamins in. I hope your feeling better before this weekend.

Good luck both of you!!

Thanks!! Gave the lace locks a good test this morning....worked great!! I highly recommend....

Edited by 2NewKnees 2015-05-05 11:29 AM
2015-05-05 2:07 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
the laces are a great idea. saved me immensely. for some reason I would be rushing too much and always have to stop and re-tie within the first mile anyway. I use them in my normal training shoes too and got them for my wife.

Well today I came up with a new way to cut a workout short. I was short on time anyway so was doing a 2 mile or so treadmill run again. I was alternating 200's - recovery pace and increasing pace on each one on the high end. Well instead of going down after a "high" set, I hit the +, by the time I realized it, it was at 9.1 or so. Before I could get it back down, the treadmill blew the circuit - no power no treadmill - workout over.
Oh well, at least I was about 1/3 of a mile from finishing.

2015-05-05 7:58 PM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

Originally posted by peto_primo

the laces are a great idea. saved me immensely. for some reason I would be rushing too much and always have to stop and re-tie within the first mile anyway. I use them in my normal training shoes too and got them for my wife.

Well today I came up with a new way to cut a workout short. I was short on time anyway so was doing a 2 mile or so treadmill run again. I was alternating 200's - recovery pace and increasing pace on each one on the high end. Well instead of going down after a "high" set, I hit the +, by the time I realized it, it was at 9.1 or so. Before I could get it back down, the treadmill blew the circuit - no power no treadmill - workout over.
Oh well, at least I was about 1/3 of a mile from finishing.

Those pesky machines!!! Well...look at it this way....better than blowing an ACL, Hamstring, or maybe tearing an Achilles Tendon!!!

Great run and you almost got your distance in!!

Suggesting the Lace Locks for my wife as well.....
2015-05-06 7:09 AM

User image

Southern Norway, Vest-Agder

Originally posted by 2NewKnees  Starting to get mentally prepared for this Saturday......hope I can pull it off after only 2 weeks since that first sprint....I guess I know more now than I did with the first one which is good. Trying not to put too much pressure on myself...... Best to all!!

Have fun, Bill! My first still seems far, far away in the horizon - but I'm starting to panic toward my half marathon in just 5-6 weeks. Focusing most on my running, only one bike-ride and one swim during a week. Todd, what is your experince regarding benefits between the sports? I've never felt that running much helps my swimming or biking. I would think that all the trainig to your heart and cardio vascular system when running would reap better benefits when swimming or biking?

The company I work for has become the main sponsor for the tri I'm attending, and that means lots of benefits for us : Free tri-suit, free admission-fee, discount on bikes etc and also a quick-course in swimming technique and biking. Yay!

Hope you get better soon, Colleen :-) Good luck this weekend!

2015-05-06 3:37 PM
in reply to: Gnoory

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by Gnoory

Todd, what is your experince regarding benefits between the sports? I've never felt that running much helps my swimming or biking. I would think that all the trainig to your heart and cardio vascular system when running would reap better benefits when swimming or biking?

The company I work for has become the main sponsor for the tri I'm attending, and that means lots of benefits for us : Free tri-suit, free admission-fee, discount on bikes etc and also a quick-course in swimming technique and biking. Yay!

Hope you get better soon, Colleen :-) Good luck this weekend!

Sweet on the "Sponsorship" and benefits to you.

I find it a little different in the sports "crossover" If I am putting in a base level amount of running - acclimating the body(joints, ligaments, tendons etc) to the pounding of running, riding benefits the endurance for runs immensely. The reverse not so much. right now a long run is an hour but that is a short ride. Long rides are 2 + hours building extended cardio endurance. I can fake a half marathon based on bike training (and unfortunately have done it more than once)

For me, it seems, the cardio from swimming helps base level fitness and body tone - especially upper body, but I don't know notice benefit at LT . although it would stand to reason that all time at near your lactate threshold would help in the other sports too.
2015-05-06 9:31 PM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

, Connecticut
Wow! What a cool company! There is no reason not to do it! Go Espen!

I'm doing well. I spun (or is it spinned?) went to a spin class yesterday and ran just over 2 miles this morning in my final decision of clothes. While the swimsuit dug into my legs a bit during the run I felt otherwise good. But the spin class and the run felt awful! I felt weak. Really weak! I'm Not sure if it's the cold or the vacation or eating poorly but man I feel awful. Working to get some clean eating in this week and hydrate hydrate hydrate.

I'm so excited to share this weekend with you bill! I wish you the very best of luck saturday! What are your distances?
2015-05-06 9:32 PM
in reply to: #5113598

User image

, Connecticut
Todd, feel better! Wow, you've really had a tough go of it these past few months! I love the perspective you discovered about your daughter! Very insightful
2015-05-06 10:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Wow! What a cool company! There is no reason not to do it! Go Espen!

I'm doing well. I spun (or is it spinned?) went to a spin class yesterday and ran just over 2 miles this morning in my final decision of clothes. While the swimsuit dug into my legs a bit during the run I felt otherwise good. But the spin class and the run felt awful! I felt weak. Really weak! I'm Not sure if it's the cold or the vacation or eating poorly but man I feel awful. Working to get some clean eating in this week and hydrate hydrate hydrate.

I'm so excited to share this weekend with you bill! I wish you the very best of luck saturday! What are your distances?

Take it easy over the next few days now that your event is nearly here. I did my last workout late this afternoon ; resting tomorrow and Friday is a travel day. Good plan on good nutrition and hydrating!!!! It'll payoff for you. Also , very good idea to try out what you will be wearing to compete on Sunday. You will be just fine and do great!!

Appreciate the well wishes! The race consists of 400 meter pool swim; 20k bike ride; 5k run (walk for me), distances much like the event I did on 4/25. Weather is supposed to be much warmer so your hydration advice is right on. Slight chance of thunderstorms but indications is not till later in the day. Early start....7:00 am.

Edited by 2NewKnees 2015-05-06 10:01 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1054 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.