BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-07-27 1:45 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
Hello!
It's been a while since I've checked in! Sorry to hear you're injured Lovey! Hang in there! Peto, awesome ride! Sore is expected, wow! 100 miles sounds like torture!

So i did my sprint tri 1.5 weeks ago. I left for vacation two days later and didn't get to check in. here's my stats:
600 Yards swim: 9:57
T1: 1:43 (it was a quite a run to the course)
11 miles bike: 46.19
T2: 0:45
3.1 mile run: 33:59

total time: 1:32.45

So this was fun. and very humbling. I need to figure out how to increase my speed. It was sad to see people flying by me. I was one of the first out of the water and one of the last to finish. not sure if practice or strength will help. the trouble is I just don't have the drive to train for speed. so I guess this is where i'm at. and it's ok. it's fun, i enjoy it, it's neat to do. it's entirely attainable to me.

Running still troubles me the most, i'm going to try to get 3 runs a week in instead of 2. the extra run will be a short 2 mile loop monday mornings. biking is so new to me, i have no idea how to get faster. honestly.

I have another race on 8/30. looking forward to that! It's a women's race, and less competitive which is nice. maybe I won't come in last place! hoping not to!

A few people of my tri club did IronMan Lake Placid yesterday. That is definitely something I have zero desire to do. Yikes! you people are nuts!

2015-07-28 7:16 AM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colleen, that was good race and a great swim. In my opinion the bike leg is the easiest to see results quicker from. If you commit to doing three rides a week of a longer time / distance you will begin to notice speed difference within the first month. Running can be roughly the same thing, but effects your body and more muscles then does cycling so the results are there but not a noticeable or soon. The other thing with cycling is that unlike swimming there is not really form issues and so forth that greatly effect your time improvements. Cycling has more to do with just conditioning your legs to turn the pedals over as quickly as possible and with more power. The other thing in my opinion that shows it is easier to improve is just how little of things can give you improvements, ie. losing a little weight, clipless pedals, more aero dynamic helmet, aero bars (yes even on a road bike). I like you have been so frustrated over my runs times, but now when I'm race ready I know I'm not going to run fast but because of my cycling condition I will be able to do it while feeling good and know that it's not going to leave me hurting at the finish line. The other reminder here is that you should always train at a distance longer than the distance you will bike in your tri, because that extra distance training will tax your body very little but on race day will leave you much fresher when you start the run portion, which can decrease your run time. So if I had done the tri you just did with an 11 mile bike, I would have likely rode 15 miles two days a week and my long day would have been 20 - 22. For sprints, I always wanted my long bike training day to be double the biking distance on race day.
2015-07-28 2:21 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Colleen......congrats on a fantastic Sprint!!!!! You rocked!!!
2015-07-31 12:19 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Happy Blue Moon Friday !!

What's on tap for racing/training this weekend?

I am going out and doing a Blue Moon ride tonight - about 34 mile with the lights and the light of the moon. Doesn't look as bright out right now as full moons in Sept or Dec but we shall see - I do have the lights all charged up and ready to go.

Then I am hoping to get another 2 hour or so ride Saturday afternoon and then hoping for 40-45 miles on Sunday if I can fit that much in.

I will start running again, but I just don't have the gumption to train in the pool right now. Seriously thinking about not doing the tri Sept 19.
2015-08-01 8:46 AM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

, Tennessee
Hello everyone,

After being consumed by the new position at work for several months I am trying to get back on track. Of course, I have missed the beginner tri's that I had in mind, but my number one goal was to complete a tri by the big 50 birthday so I have a glimmer of hope I still can.

Reading back thru old posts - you guys have accomplished SO much!!! I am so proud of everyone for your accomplishments this summer. Colleen you did fantastic on your tri a few weeks back!

There is a mini sprint coming up in four weeks not too far from home and I am going to give it a shot. Swim is only 150 yards, bike 10 miles and run is 2.5 miles. I have been walking/jogging consistently and have been on the trainer intermittently. Just got back in the pool this week and swam 400 yds 2 days. Do you guys think it's crazy to try? My goal would be to finish.

Michelle
2015-08-01 11:38 AM
in reply to: Gabby'smom

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by Gabby'smom

, but my number one goal was to complete a tri by the big 50 birthday so I have a glimmer of hope I still can.

There is a mini sprint coming up in four weeks not too far from home and I am going to give it a shot. Swim is only 150 yards, bike 10 miles and run is 2.5 miles. I have been walking/jogging consistently and have been on the trainer intermittently. Just got back in the pool this week and swam 400 yds 2 days. Do you guys think it's crazy to try? My goal would be to finish.

Michelle

It sounds totally doable - especially with the goal of just finishing!! You can Do It !!!

2015-08-01 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Got in 4.4 miles today. 3.3 walk / run at 5/1 ratio followed by 1 mile cool down walk which was almost all up hill so not much of a cool down. Working to get in an hour ride tomorrow. Hope yall are having a great weekend!
2015-08-02 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Got in my ride this morning, 21.03 miles in 1:11:00
2015-08-03 7:27 AM
in reply to: #5130398

User image

Way to go Colleen! Those are great numbers.
Gabbi I think you can do it. Go for it!
I had a bad migraine that knocked my workouts off track last week. I got in a great 25 mile ride on Sunday which was well overdue. I also got in a bit of walking last week on my job.
I plan to ride tonight, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. I have decided to just focus on the goal of a metric Century (62-63 miles) Aug 29th with my son. I am going to get a new saddle for my bike with my birthday money. It will make those longer rides much easier.
Have a great day
Nicole
2015-08-03 9:51 AM

User image

Hello everyone,

After being consumed by the new position at work for several months I am trying to get back on track. Of course, I have missed the beginner tri's that I had in mind, but my number one goal was to complete a tri by the big 50 birthday so I have a glimmer of hope I still can.

Reading back thru old posts - you guys have accomplished SO much!!! I am so proud of everyone for your accomplishments this summer. Colleen you did fantastic on your tri a few weeks back!

Michelle
[/QUOTE

Welcome back!!!........not crazy at all!! Like the NIKE phrase...."just do it"!!! Best of luck!!
2015-08-03 9:52 AM

User image

Great weekend of training!!

Took it easy here yesterday; was back in the pool this morning.

Have a great week!

2015-08-03 8:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hello everyone,

Michelle

Sorry I missed your post Michelle. No you are not crazy and it is very doable. You can already swim double the race day distance, so keep doing at least 2 swims a week tell then of at least 200 non-stop. Get you in a few 10-15 mile rides a week, if possible 3 to be really ready in 4 weeks. As far as the run goes I'd say just continue what you're doing and do at least a couple at race distance. The thing is that your are just trying to finish, so worse case you have to walk the run, but if you come close to what I threw out you will have energy to run / jog and will feel good at the end of the race
2015-08-03 8:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The world may come to an end tonight
I actually got in the pool and did not drown or need swim lessons. I did 3 sets of 500 and averaged under 10 minutes per set, which made my day.
2015-08-04 11:59 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

I actually got in the pool and did not drown or need swim lessons. I did 3 sets of 500 and averaged under 10 minutes per set, which made my day.

I thought I felt a shudder and saw bright lights in sky
2015-08-05 9:37 AM

User image

Originally posted by peto_primo

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

I thought I felt a shudder and saw bright lights in sky

Great swim Todd!!!

2015-08-05 8:59 PM

User image

, Tennessee
Thanks to all of you for the optimistic encouragement!!! Todd, I will take your advice and make it my goal to get in the 10-15 mile rides. I think getting those in will be a huge step in making it happen. It feels so good to be back on track with my exercise. It's crazy how we all know how much better we feel when we are working out but we still let life get in the way sometimes.

Trying to get my work gang to all start exercising, I know that will help me stay on track too. Everyone have a great week training!

Michelle

2015-08-11 8:35 PM
in reply to: #5132669

User image

, Tennessee
Todd,

Taking your advice to heart. Getting in the bike rides, doing the 200 y swims nonstop with a couple more to follow. I know it's not much but it's a good start fir me.

Reading you guys progress from the past few months has been so motivating!!!

Michelle
2015-08-12 4:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Todd,

Taking your advice to heart. Getting in the bike rides, doing the 200 y swims nonstop with a couple more to follow. I know it's not much but it's a good start fir me.

Reading you guys progress from the past few months has been so motivating!!!

Michelle

Great job Michelle! Trust me, getting in the rides and swims will pay huge dividends once you start the run portion. It's getting close, you excited?
2015-08-14 9:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Only a "fair" week of swimming this week......

Need to get re-motivated before Monday. Heading to an biking event tomorrow morning that my oldest son is riding in; will just observe and help herd the grand kids.....

Edited by 2NewKnees 2015-08-14 9:16 AM
2015-08-14 7:09 PM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

Hello everyone,
Sorry I have been out of the loop for a bit. I have been riding. Saturday I got in 22 mile. Then on Saturday I got in my longest yet with 40 miles. I thought I would ride for about 10-15 miles on Sunday but my body told me otherwise. I took the day off to rest then we got some rain. I got in 22 miles on Thursday and a relaxing 15 today with my boys. I will ride 50 miles on the 22nd and 63 miles on the 29th. Sept 4th I plan to run a 5k with my whole family. I guess I bet get back to running. The weight is slowly dropping off and the bike is getting easier. I have a lot more confidence on the road. Hills don't scare me and I am beginning to tackle the downhills to get up the other side. I'm not the fastest cyclist but I'm not always the slowest either.
Have a great weekend.
2015-08-15 6:59 AM
in reply to: #5135052

User image

, Tennessee
Nicole,

You are kicking tail with the bike rides! Keep it up.

Any suggestions on what I could wear to this mini sprint I am going to do to keep from purchasing a tri suit? I just hate to spend the $$ for the first little one. Would like to slide by without one this time, but if you guys think it's worth going ahead and spending the bucks I will. I will look back through old posts, May can find the solution.

Bill, I hope Monday finds you ready to hit it. We can call it Motivated Monday! Maybe it will give us all a boost! Great wknd to all.

Michelle

2015-08-15 8:46 AM

User image

Thanks Michelle!

I did one even without a Tri suit and one with.....having the Tri suit was helpful. And I've used in some training/bike rides as well. So it was a good purchase. I bet at this time of year you can find some good bargins; that's what I did. Although I'm not sure of the pricing of women's gear.....perhaps one of the other folks here can help you with that.
2015-08-18 10:57 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Nicole,

You are kicking tail with the bike rides! Keep it up.

Any suggestions on what I could wear to this mini sprint I am going to do to keep from purchasing a tri suit? I just hate to spend the $$ for the first little one. Would like to slide by without one this time, but if you guys think it's worth going ahead and spending the bucks I will. I will look back through old posts, May can find the solution.

Bill, I hope Monday finds you ready to hit it. We can call it Motivated Monday! Maybe it will give us all a boost! Great wknd to all.

Michelle

I bought tri - shorts (comparatively cheap and can still use for cycling down the road) for the first race or 3 (dry quick and have a thinner pad than bike shorts) and wore a tank top I threw on in T-1. You might want a quick drying sports bra - but you probably already have that in the ward robe.

2015-08-19 7:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Michelle

No, you don't have to spend money on a tri suit or anything else for that matter. I have seen lady's do the whole race in their one piece swim suit (probably not very comfortable for most women). I would suggest as Scott did that you wear what you got if you really don't want to spend any money right now. Tri or Bike shorts and a sports bra or tri top, from start to finish. The main thing is that you just don't want to have to change clothes during the race itself. Now that I think about it, I have also seen quit a few lady's wear their Tri / Bike shorts with a sports bra during the swim and then put a cycling jersey or tri top on after it when they move to the bike, which does not require a bathroom.

Michelle let me also add this and say so having never seen you or a picture, DO NOT BE SELF CONSICOUS OR WORRIED ABOUT HOW YOU LOOK OR WHAT YOU ARE WEARING ON RACE DAY!!! What I mean is that no one is there to judge you, point out flaws, or trying to sneak a peek so to speak, they are there to race just like you. I have seen men and women on hot days with a second layer of clothing on over their tri gear sweating from head to toe until they finally shed the other layer of clothes they had on because they were embarrassed to be seen in their tri gear.
2015-08-19 12:44 PM
in reply to: #5135081

User image

Thanks Michelle. Good luck on your upcoming tri.

I got in a cardio x this morning. My schedule has changed with the children back in school so I need to get that figured out again. I'm excited my husband and I decided to do a ride this Saturday. It is the Flight of the Dove. It is local in South Carolina and supports a Hospice. We will ride our 50 mile ride for Alex's scouting requirement. I can't wait I'm so excited. My son doesn't want to talk about it. He wants to "just get up and go for a ride". He will be so exited on the day though. I think he is a bit nervous and is trying to block it out. Heck me too. We can't do this together. The following weekend we will do the 63 mile ride which will probably be more like 65 because we will ride to the event. That is the nice thing about it happening in our town. That and the fact that the ride is on some of the roads we have ridden before. The ones with the 9 or 12% incline.
I'm thinking to get back in the pool tomorrow morning get some laps in. Should I keep it easy with a 50 mile ride planned?
What do you guys think?
Nicole
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1047 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.