BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-02-26 8:19 PM
in reply to: Gnoory

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
Well crap!!!!

Tweaked my left knee today on the bike. This is the knee I had replaced in 2/2013. It was only a brief ride, even noted in my remarks about the session my knee was a bit unhappy. That's an understatement! Swelling has set in all around the knee making it difficult to walk, climb stairs, etc.....a flashback to my rehab days,

The left knee has less ROM than my right, so I have to adjust the way I have my seat set and how I place my foot on the pedal. The only thing I can determine I did was to over flex the knee beyond what I can normally do. I didn't note that on my ride because when I've done that in the past the knee really barks.

Sitting here now wilth my knee on ice and elevated. It did ease just a bit by dinner time; maybe that's a good sign. Not sure about my swim in the morning. Will just have to judge how it is in the morning. This is the first bump in the road I've had with the left knee since my recovery/rehab.

Keeping my fingers crossed it's no big deal......

2015-02-27 4:20 AM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

, Tennessee
Oh no Bill,

Hate to hear your knee is not happy. Hoping the ice and elevation helped last night. You probably know better than the rest of us with your surgery and rehab experience -listen to your body!

Hope your knee is good as new this morning.

Michelle
2015-02-27 1:10 PM
in reply to: Gabby'smom

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
All Y'all's enthusiasm and excitement is contagious. Most of my goals are for 20-30 weeks out and I have been struggling with establishing just some consistency (and have been for well over 18 months).

But reading how y'all are getting after it, making progress, expressing apprehension at times is starting to kindle something. With some of you having races slated for this spring, I was kind of feeling left out. Yesterday I saw and started thinking about a Duathlon May 9. 5k - 34k - 5k - It would be a great thing to build towards and a gauge of how the preparations are going - 10 weeks out from now.
2015-02-27 2:30 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Well it really seems like all of the Turtles are doing great and really starting to come into their own so to speak. I love how fluid this group is and the way that everyone is giving their experience and thoughts on topics / questions that people post. When it comes to this I always think of what one of my daughter's teacher said when we were discussing her at a parent teacher night. He advised that at the start he would have a problem when showing how to work out a math problem and she would always throw out another way. He advised that he would jump on her a little and tell her to do it the way he told her. He said that he then watched her one day when this happened and saw her explaining her way to another student she was helping. He said he went over and was about to confront her about it when the other student told him that she now understood how to work the problem. He said that he took a breath and really stopped to look at what she taught the other student and realized that it was not flawed and was an acceptable way to do it. He advised us that after that day he would listen to what she said and as long as it was not flawed would give her way of doing it becuase he realized that some of the kids took to her way and others his.

Again, thank you all for making this a great group and a joy to be a part of.

Sounds like an awesome teacher! And a really great kid!
2015-02-27 2:33 PM
in reply to: Gnoory

User image

, Connecticut
Originally posted by Gnoory

Originally posted by allan_c Small Victory today! I did a run-swim work-out this AM. The run felt great...first one in a while where I wasn't counting the seconds until I reached my time. I went to the pool feeling like Iw wasn't up for a hard swim, but decided to push myself. I did and easy 50 breast w/o then started my 4x100 set with 30sri (down from 45s ri at my last work-out). I alternated 25 mfree/25 m breast. Then I did 100 with the pull buoy. My plan was to do another 4x100 with alternating breast/free, but I decided to push myself. The first 100 I did free/free/breast/free and felt pretty good, so the next 100 I did all free. This is the first time I have ever been able to do 100 free without stopping. I feel like my consistency with the swim work-outs over the last several weeks is paying off. I even feel like the free might be getting easier than the breast, as I think I am getting into a better rhythm with it. I finished off the last 2 of the 4x100 with free/free/breast/free and then free/free/breast/breast. It felt great! Here's my question for folks. My training plan has me doing a light week 1 in 4 weeks. When I looked at the schedule for next week it seemed ridiculously light, and since I am only up to 25 min run, 900 y swim, 35 min bike (not all together), wouldn't cutting back right now be too soon? Should I really do a light week already? My major hurdle is building an aerobic base, and I am afraid I will lose ground in that realm if I cutback to the degree my training plan suggests (for instance, back to 10 min run). I would love to hear your advice on this one!

Great work, Catherine! The feeling of progress is thrilling. I've upped from one to two swim sessions a week for two weeks, and I am allready feeling that I am making progress. Last workout I did 10x100 and 10x50. I have never done so many 100s in a row, so I have hope to soon be able to up that to for example 5x200. If we keep it up, before we know it - we'll be doing 500 as easy as nothin' :-)

My bike has finally been shipped from the online store, and today I went to a local shop and got me a pair of biking shoes. Still pondering the name of the bike tough, but  I've allready named the shoes. The left shoe is "One" and the right is "The Other". It will help me remember to pedal ... well you get my point :-)

Tee hee hee! YOu named your shoes! brilliant! I love it~!
2015-02-27 4:42 PM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

, Tennessee
Originally posted by peto_primo

All Y'all's enthusiasm and excitement is contagious. Most of my goals are for 20-30 weeks out and I have been struggling with establishing just some consistency (and have been for well over 18 months).

But reading how y'all are getting after it, making progress, expressing apprehension at times is starting to kindle something. With some of you having races slated for this spring, I was kind of feeling left out. Yesterday I saw and started thinking about a Duathlon May 9. 5k - 34k - 5k - It would be a great thing to build towards and a gauge of how the preparations are going - 10 weeks out from now.

Peto,

Don't just think about the duathlon - just do it! Register today, that's half the battle. Maybe the easier half, but still half! Go for it

2015-02-27 4:44 PM

User image

, Tennessee
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Well it really seems like all of the Turtles are doing great and really starting to come into their own so to speak. I love how fluid this group is and the way that everyone is giving their experience and thoughts on topics / questions that people post. When it comes to this I always think of what one of my daughter's teacher said when we were discussing her at a parent teacher night. He advised that at the start he would have a problem when showing how to work out a math problem and she would always throw out another way. He advised that he would jump on her a little and tell her to do it the way he told her. He said that he then watched her one day when this happened and saw her explaining her way to another student she was helping. He said he went over and was about to confront her about it when the other student told him that she now understood how to work the problem. He said that he took a breath and really stopped to look at what she taught the other student and realized that it was not flawed and was an acceptable way to do it. He advised us that after that day he would listen to what she said and as long as it was not flawed would give her way of doing it becuase he realized that some of the kids took to her way and others his.

Again, thank you all for making this a great group and a joy to be a part of.

Todd,

I think we all owe you a huge thank you for making this "great group" what we are. We wouldn't be here without you. Your knowledge and advice are such a blessing. We all made a terrific choice by joining Todd's Tri Turtles. Thanks for everything!!

2015-02-27 8:50 PM

User image

Originally posted by Gabby'smom

Oh no Bill,

Hate to hear your knee is not happy. Hoping the ice and elevation helped last night. You probably know better than the rest of us with your surgery and rehab experience -listen to your body!

Hope your knee is good as new this morning.

Michelle

Thanks Michelle!!

My knee was better this am. Decided to go for my swim. Nothing too taxing and was in the water about 40 minutes. After the swim and drive home my knee swelled again just as yesterday.

I was able to see an associate of my ORS this afternoon. Had X-rays, they were negative for any damage to my new knee. He explained I'd just over done it and reached the threshold to where it'd cause my knee to swell and stiffen. So, he prescribed a 7day dose pak of steroids. I'm to hold off any biking or treadmill time for a week but can continue to swim. Can get back on the bike/ treadmill after the week but take care not to do too much. I'll follow up with him in a couple of weeks.

So, while a pain in the backside at the moment no damage as such to the knee. At least I can still hit the pool and do upper body work at the gym. Keeping my fingers crossed this is just a temporary and brief setback.

Hope all is going well for you and your training!!!

2015-02-27 10:15 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Peto,

Don't just think about the duathlon - just do it! Register today, that's half the battle. Maybe the easier half, but still half! Go for it

I hessitate to pull the trigger on registration - biggest reason - there is also a 6k that day through a Masters Running group I have raced with off and on over the last - eeks -7 years now. And they are doing a middle school 3 k cross country race with it. (2 laps for the adults 1 lap for the kids) I think I can get AJ to do it with me - and maybe even to train for it.
The duathlon would be more fun (for me) but the run would be cheaper and if I can get AJ to do her best - priceless.
2015-02-27 11:30 PM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
I have been working on my swimming. I am still slow but I feel like I must be getting somewhat better since I can keep my laps going while doing the freestyle for a 450. I cannot do a flip turn but I feel like I am not hesitating at the wall when I turn. I am not able to bilateral breathe yet but going to work on that this coming week. I am finding that every time I swim, I come home with a stuffed up nose and I am constantly blowing it for the rest of the day into the following day. I never had this problem before when I was only doing the breaststroke. I do not feel like I am inhaling water when I am swimming doing the freestyle. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? My husband suggested that I get a nose plug, I am hesitant because I like to blow out of my nose at times and I don't want to look "dorky" either, LOL! Does anyone else use a nose plug? Are they comfortable?
2015-02-28 8:02 AM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Originally posted by 2NewKnees

Well crap!!!!

Tweaked my left knee today on the bike. This is the knee I had replaced in 2/2013. It was only a brief ride, even noted in my remarks about the session my knee was a bit unhappy. That's an understatement! Swelling has set in all around the knee making it difficult to walk, climb stairs, etc.....a flashback to my rehab days,

The left knee has less ROM than my right, so I have to adjust the way I have my seat set and how I place my foot on the pedal. The only thing I can determine I did was to over flex the knee beyond what I can normally do. I didn't note that on my ride because when I've done that in the past the knee really barks.

Sitting here now wilth my knee on ice and elevated. It did ease just a bit by dinner time; maybe that's a good sign. Not sure about my swim in the morning. Will just have to judge how it is in the morning. This is the first bump in the road I've had with the left knee since my recovery/rehab.

Hi Bill I hope your knee is feeling better with rest. Hopefully this is only a small bump in the road.

2015-02-28 8:09 AM

User image

Peto,

I hessitate to pull the trigger on registration - biggest reason - there is also a 6k that day through a Masters Running group I have raced with off and on over the last - eeks -7 years now. And they are doing a middle school 3 k cross country race with it. (2 laps for the adults 1 lap for the kids) I think I can get AJ to do it with me - and maybe even to train for it.
The duathlon would be more fun (for me) but the run would be cheaper and if I can get AJ to do her best - priceless.

Oh I love it. I would lean more toward the race with AJ. I have raced with my sons before. Nothing offical but I did a 5k with them and my youngest stopped before finishing. It was a year since he had open heart surgery so it was maybe better for him to not take it too hard. My older one and I kept going. He wanted to stop. We did not train for the race but we walked and jogged and at times sprinted. We kept going and he was almost in tears. I told him we needed to keep going because if we did we were winners. The last bit of the race he pulled out some energy and sprinted. He came in 3rd place for his age group and was so pleased he didn't quit. It was a great time and he was able to see what he was made of. I would love to race with him again. Although I would make sure he had trained too.
I hope she'll race with you. Good Luck.
2015-02-28 8:13 AM
in reply to: Suzie471

User image

Originally posted by Suzie471

I have been working on my swimming. I am still slow but I feel like I must be getting somewhat better since I can keep my laps going while doing the freestyle for a 450. I cannot do a flip turn but I feel like I am not hesitating at the wall when I turn. I am not able to bilateral breathe yet but going to work on that this coming week. I am finding that every time I swim, I come home with a stuffed up nose and I am constantly blowing it for the rest of the day into the following day. I never had this problem before when I was only doing the breaststroke. I do not feel like I am inhaling water when I am swimming doing the freestyle. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? My husband suggested that I get a nose plug, I am hesitant because I like to blow out of my nose at times and I don't want to look "dorky" either, LOL! Does anyone else use a nose plug? Are they comfortable?

Great job on your progress. I wouldn't worry about the flip turns. I met a triathlete at the pool the other day and he can't do flip turns either. He had been competing for years. I am not sure what is going on with the stuffy nose. My nose is usally clear after the pool. Good luck in finding your answer to that one.
2015-02-28 8:21 AM

User image

I did my swim yesterday and was excited it was the first time in 2 weeks I swam without cold medicine. I was able to shave 8 minutes off my workout time. I think because I didn't have to stop to cough. I am getting the hang of swimming the whole 25 yds. I am slowly putting all of the drills together. I am feeling my body beginning to turn as I breathe. I am rolling from side to side now. I am feeling the power coming in my arms as I pull through the water. I wish every yard in the pool was this put together but when I am all in sync I can feel it and it is so cool. This is what I am striving for now.

I got on my trainer about an hour after the swim. My quads were not happy. I started slow and worked into it. I did intervals on my bike. 1 minute of speed (15mph) and high cadence (80-90) then 2 minutes of 10 mph and 70 for cadence. This was a push for me and it was real choppy but I will get control of my cadence and speed. I was wiped out after my ride.

I had my son's Birthday party to hold at the pool no less. I had worked out enough that 2 slices of pizza and carrot cake didn't even affect me. I was hungry when I woke up.

Today I will do my walk/jog and then get my weights in.

Have a great training day everyone!
2015-02-28 10:07 AM

User image

Originally posted by nekomidori

Originally posted by 2NewKnees

Well crap!!!!

Hi Bill I hope your knee is feeling better with rest. Hopefully this is only a small bump in the road.

Thanks Nicole!!

It was good to know there's no "damage" to the "new knee".......Swelling is down this morning. Having to make the mental adjustment of not doing a bike/treadmill session today.

You had a great swim and bike session yesterday!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2015-02-28 11:56 AM

User image

, Tennessee

Peto,

Totally understand! Race with AJ - as you said priceless!

2015-02-28 1:53 PM

User image

, Connecticut
Bill- OH NO! Feel Better soon! Ice them and listen to your body. You're awesome but listen to yourself.

I know there are a lot of new englanders in this group. Is anyone interested in doing this with me? Its on May 31, a 250 yard swim in a pool, a 9.3 mile outdoor bike ride and a 3.1 mile run. It's in Marlborough MA. I'm leaning toward doing it regardless of whether I can find someone to join me but it'd be nice to meet some of you too.
http://www.trifind.com/re_163431/LionsSprintSprintTriathlon.html

And YES, thank you TODD for leading us, for your sound advice and encouragement and for bringing us all together!
2015-03-01 7:35 AM

I have not had that problem before. I hope someone has some thoughts on that for you. I think you are doing great 450 yards not stopping is huge. I worked on the bilateral swimming and it was difficult for me. I still need to find somewhere here in the snow to get new goggles and earplugs. Starting a masters swim program today I will try to ask them if they have any ideas on the nose.
Keep up the great work!
2015-03-01 8:54 PM
in reply to: Lizfuze

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Originally posted by Lizfuze

I have not had that problem before. I hope someone has some thoughts on that for you. I think you are doing great 450 yards not stopping is huge. I worked on the bilateral swimming and it was difficult for me. I still need to find somewhere here in the snow to get new goggles and earplugs. Starting a masters swim program today I will try to ask them if they have any ideas on the nose.
Keep up the great work!

Thanks Liz! I broke down and ordered a couple of nose clips to try. I ordered them from Swimoutlet.com and they have earplugs and goggles too. I have ordered from them in the past and have been happy with what I have gotten. Just thought I would mention that since you said you are looking for some
2015-03-01 10:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
It is the start of a new month - some of you are getting closer to your races - Yeah -so exciting.
Do your plans lead you to your goals? If so, are you following your plans???
Commit to following your plan - (but don't beat yourself up if you miss something) - keep building

This month my goal is to run 3 times a week and ride a minimum of 3 times a week (modest but an improvement over the last who knows how long - okay the advantage of keeping your logs on here - you can figure out that type of information - since May of 2014 no wonder last year felt so wasted and the off road tri went so poorly)

If I achieve it in the way I believe I can that should be about 55 miles running and 250 miles riding.
April I hope to introduce some strength training and then after Memorial Day start getting wet.

Edited by peto_primo 2015-03-01 10:47 PM
2015-03-02 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sorry for my absence the past 4 days, I have been trying to hit a deadline at work and it has been nuts. I will catch up on everything tonight, sorry again.

2015-03-02 12:57 PM
in reply to: Lizfuze

User image

I am so glad it isn't just me that has difficulty sorting out the swim! It wasn't good, but once I started the stroke development clinic and my stroke got picked apart, it is even worse! Aiieeee. I keep hoping I can put it back together!

Today is my last appointment with the trainer at the gym -- bought a package at the first of the year that has carried me this far. I think I want to do it again, as it really makes a difference if you HAVE to be there for an appointment! But, I went and did a strength workout alone last week and was fine, so maybe time to mix it up some.

The next two weeks are going to be tough with a big local event here in town that we put on, and then out of town travel for work and I'm so afraid that getting off schedule will mess me up, but I'm going to do my best to keep it going!

Reading about everyone's progress here sure does help and motivate!

Happy Monday, y'all!
2015-03-02 1:48 PM

User image

Originally posted by nekomidori

Peto,

Oh I love it. I would lean more toward the race with AJ. I have raced with my sons before. Nothing offical but I did a 5k with them and my youngest stopped before finishing. It was a year since he had open heart surgery so it was maybe better for him to not take it too hard. My older one and I kept going. He wanted to stop. We did not train for the race but we walked and jogged and at times sprinted. We kept going and he was almost in tears. I told him we needed to keep going because if we did we were winners. The last bit of the race he pulled out some energy and sprinted. He came in 3rd place for his age group and was so pleased he didn't quit. It was a great time and he was able to see what he was made of. I would love to race with him again. Although I would make sure he had trained too.
I hope she'll race with you. Good Luck.

Hi Nicole,
I saw your statement about your son being a year out from open heart surgery, and I thought you might be interested in learning about an organization that I do some fundraising for though my races. It's called Ironheart Foundation (http://ironheartfoundation.org), and the focus of the organization is promoting healthy, active lifestyle among heart disease survivors, spreading awareness about congenital heart disease. I have a repaired congenital heart defect and find the stories from this group truly inspirational. I also happen to be a pediatric cardiologist. Anyway, thought you might be interested.
My two kids (girls, ages 6 and 9) ran a 5K with me last year, and it was a blast!

Have a great day!
Catherine
2015-03-02 10:38 PM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
I'm starting to feel a little stressed and frustrated. First we had more snow this past weekend that has left us buried in more snow and no chance anytime soon for me to get my bike outside to ride. I'm just really getting tired of riding the trainer plus I haven't been outside riding since I got my bike shoes and I want to practice a little outside riding for real. Then I went to the pool today and found out that they are closing the pool on March 15th for good..What is going on? My swim is my weakest area and I really wanted to focus on it this month. Now I am not sure what I am going to do...
2015-03-03 7:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'm starting to feel a little stressed and frustrated. First we had more snow this past weekend that has left us buried in more snow and no chance anytime soon for me to get my bike outside to ride. I'm just really getting tired of riding the trainer plus I haven't been outside riding since I got my bike shoes and I want to practice a little outside riding for real. Then I went to the pool today and found out that they are closing the pool on March 15th for good..What is going on? My swim is my weakest area and I really wanted to focus on it this month. Now I am not sure what I am going to do...

Suzie, control the things you can and roll with the things you can't. Right now while you are stuck inside make sure to practice clipping in and out on both sides as you do your training rides. Some don't use that safe time to practice clipping in and out. As far as the pool and nasal issues, I think that you may have a slight allergy to one of the chemicals in the pool and a nose clip / plug may be the best way to do or at least try, when you locate another place to swim. Focus on the fact that you are improving and keep moving forward.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1048 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.