General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on future Triathlons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-03 8:36 AM

Subject: Advice on future Triathlons
Hi, I am 10 weeks post Arthroscopy (4th one) where I have had a menisectomy, this is after an ACL reconstruction 9 years ago, I'm now at the stage where I have grade 4 issues with my knee and the next op would be a Total Knee replacement.

Im only 37, so wanted to guage wether I should continue doing what I love or do I cut my losses and plan for the future

My current Surgeon is non commital at the moment (which I can understand) but would be good to see what eveyone else thinks?

Thanks

2015-01-04 12:11 PM
in reply to: hilly2388

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: RE: Advice on future Triathlons
boy that's a tough one. coming back from a knee injury and it taking longer to recover than I thought really makes you think hard. I'm 36 too. I just had a minor chondroplasty and plica removed, but it took about 5 months for me to run because of quad function loss even though I was lifting my butt off! My friend is 40 and had a partial knee replacement and the only thing she is not suppose to do is run. She wasn't a runner to begin with, but she does stay active now. A friend of mine is in his 40's and was told to stop running a few years ago when he had the scope. He has no cartilage left and continues to race fast and a lot. He is still doing Ironmans.

I guess you should see what your doctor says down the road ( maybe give it 6 months to know how you feel as well). You will probably also need another doctor too. By that I mean an ortho that is willing to give you an early knee replacement ( in the next 10 years??) There are a lot of doctors that don't want to replace a knee on a younger person, but there are some that will. Also find a good PT that is not against you competing, but you will always and always have to stay up with strength training.

I guess this is more of a personable question than anything. Unfortunately you only get 2 knees and I think about mine daily after going thru a tough injury over a year. I also think about the new procedures that have come out as well. I'm interested in stem cell therapy. I hear it will be coming to the US soon and have heard good things about it. Any surgery is not good, but it's something we have to face

I guess worst case is you can always get involved with competing with the aquabike, but there is nothing that compares to running ( at least for me).

I think you are the only person who can answer this question. It's up to you how you want to live your life.

I also found this article, which is very interesting. A lady is still competing after having a replacement. Good luck!

http://www.fwortho.com/seedianawin/
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on future Triathlons Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need cramp advice

Started by meggantavel
Views: 1055 Posts: 7

2005-07-22 1:52 AM gocorey

knee/leg pain....advice?

Started by instigator
Views: 862 Posts: 2

2005-06-07 5:00 PM ellismichael

Hamstring Pull . Advice please

Started by Canadian_newfie
Views: 848 Posts: 3

2005-05-24 7:56 PM sue7013

swim induced headaches....advice needed

Started by gr8brindle
Views: 734 Posts: 3

2004-12-28 2:11 AM gr8brindle

Advice - Injury

Started by sally888
Views: 1332 Posts: 5

2004-10-09 5:35 PM dhyte
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.
date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.

date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout

Triathlon Training Advice and Tips
Reasons for triathlon training.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Your Past is History but the present determines your future. From the book 'Be here now' by Dr. Richard Alpert